Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I've noticed with my season pass of Mad Men that new episodes no longer download both an HD and SD copy of the show.

I don't remember Apple making an announcement about this, but I found this article which was updated 30 March 2012:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4223

It basically says that to download an SD version compatible with your iOS device you now must go to the Purchased section of the iTunes Store, find the episode, uncheck the Download in HD when available, and then the Cloud download button will appear next to the show. You could also do it from your iOS device directly (although my iPod touch freezes every time in the Purchased section of the iTunes app).

I guess it's good in terms of taking up less space on your computer, but the lack of announcement is kind of annoying. I contacted Apple's iTunes support online and got a word salad response and then had to contact the Tier 2 department over the phone. Neither of them were aware of the change, and both of them suggested that I instead buy the SD season of Mad Men in addition to the HD version! I found the article, which described how to download the SD version (for free of course), while I was on hold with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.