Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Figured I'd share my story.

I had a 17" MBP, with a 2.3ghz proc and anti glare screen. Superdrive died, and was sent in for repairs.

Came back, we turned it on in the store to test it out. Click click. Dead hard drive.

Apple store in my area couldn't get hard drives in for weeks for some reason, so after 2 weeks, they resent to the repair facility. Came back today, and we turned it on, worked fine. Was about to leave when I shutdown and turned it on again. Click click. Hard drive died again.

Because of how long I ended up waiting in total (just over 3 weeks), and after mentioning today was the first day of school for me, and offered a brand new laptop. The only one they had in the store with an AG display was the new 2.5ghz upgraded version, with an upgraded harddrive.

Good customer support!

However, the day before, I had purchased another 27" iMac, and had planned on selling my MBP when it came back to recoupe costs. Now I am debating selling the brand new MBP and returning the iMac.

Either way, things worked out quite nicely! You really get what you pay for with Apple when it comes to them taking care of their customers. :)

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yep, it seems if you go in there enough at some point you get extra help. I had my MB in for something with the HDD dying, or just getting diagnostics, but they replaced the whole screen bezel and palm rest plastics since they had cracked a bunch from opening/closing. Made it look like a brand new laptop afterwards. I think the total cost for it all would have been around $200.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia

I had a 17" MBP, with a 2.3ghz proc and anti glare screen. Superdrive died, and was sent in for repairs.

Came back, we turned it on in the store to test it out. Click click. Dead hard drive.

Apple store in my area couldn't get hard drives in for weeks for some reason, so after 2 weeks, they resent to the repair facility. Came back today, and we turned it on, worked fine. Was about to leave when I shutdown and turned it on again. Click click. Hard drive died again.

Because of how long I ended up waiting in total (just over 3 weeks), and after mentioning today was the first day of school for me, and offered a brand new laptop. The only one they had in the store with an AG display was the new 2.5ghz upgraded version, with an upgraded harddrive.

Good customer support!

However, the day before, I had purchased another 27" iMac, and had planned on selling my MBP when it came back to recoupe costs. Now I am debating selling the brand new MBP and returning the iMac.

Either way, things worked out quite nicely! You really get what you pay for with Apple when it comes to them taking care of their customers. :)
I've always been extremely satisfied with Apple's customer service. For anyone who is borderline Windows PC or Mac, they should go Mac simply for the great support.

Having two HDDs die in a row seems pretty crazy. Talk about bad luck... well, maybe good luck in the end.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

Awesome story - why would you sell MBP and return iMac?

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
tbh I like it better, and it fits better with my 3007wfp-hc. Before, my MBP sat at my desk, and was only used as a laptop one time, for a mobile recording session.

danwayfilms

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
I wish i've had the same level of customer support.

I've never had a problem resolved by apple support, and they even flat out refused to help me.

Back when I got my 2009 MacBook Pro, the first thing I did was swap out a new hard drive (a user upgradeable part last time I checked). It didn't work. The computer would not boot and I could not install OSX. I thought the hard drive was bad so I returned it for a new one, but then the new one didn't work.

I soon discovered that it was some EFI update that Apple released (some update). I was apparently not the only one with this issue, so I took the computer to the Apple store, twice. Each time I explained AND demonstrated the problem. The geniuses always acted like they were understanding and fully concerned. Then when i finished they would give me this spiel about how they couldn't help me because it wasn't a factory hard drive. It was a problem with Apple's software/logicboard hardware, not the 3rd party hard drive! One genius did the whole "let me ask my manager" thing and came back 30 seconds later saying he couldn't help me. I was so frustrated the second time that I ASKED them if they would put in their own "supported" hard drive if i PAYED for it! They said no! I offered to pay them for an "upgrade", and they said no.

Maybe it's bad luck with the store I go to.. I don't know. The Geek Squad at Best Buy deemed my computer inoperable, and had I bought it from Best Buy I would have received a new one.

I don't think Apple ever fixed the EFI issue. The only solution was to downgrade the EFI (an option not really supported by Apple). I didn't like doing this because it was a new computer, why should I have to downgrade an update that is supposed to make things better. I dunno.

Maybe i'm overreacting. I've just never had good service from the Apple store Geniuses.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I have come to really appreciate the level of service from Apple and their Customer Care.

If you Google for Alienware Horror Stories, Dell Horror Stories, and/or HP Horror Stories you receive a plethora of angry, frustrated tales.

I truly depend on my MBP for everything and these stories as well as my personal experiences (I have two where Apple really made things right) give me peace of mind.

I find that buying an Apple + AppleCare is a very good deal.

I do not know what it says about my character or mental health but I find the Alienware Horror Stories strangely fascinating to read...like some sort of Greek Tragedy where you know it is just going to end badly for the protagonist.

Seriously, I know Dell and HP don't have the best reputation for customer service but Alienware is in a class by themselves. It really does seem like you are playing Russian Roulette with your time, money, and sanity if you by their products. It seems if you don't have problems you are ok. However, if you do it is a long frustrating experience.

I guess what I find amazing is that the powers-that-be at Dell/Alienware haven't done anything to bolster the perception AND experience of their terrible customer support. I mean some of these horror stories go back a decade or more and they all have the same basic elements.

So, it would appear that neither Dell/Alienware doesn't care about the reputation.

On the other hand, you would also think that customer would do some research before buying one of these products.

Finally, even if you take into account the odds of people with bad experiences only posting their horror stories, that is still an amazing number.

Sorry for the rant.
:eek:

-P

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted

The main thing I hate is I usually have to wait 30-45 mins more than my apt time.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yep, it seems if you go in there enough at some point you get extra help. I had my MB in for something with the HDD dying, or just getting diagnostics, but they replaced the whole screen bezel and palm rest plastics since they had cracked a bunch from opening/closing. Made it look like a brand new laptop afterwards. I think the total cost for it all would have been around $200.

FWIW, that is a specific customer satisfaction policy. Anyone with a cracked MacBook that's younger than 3 or 4 years (something around that age) can walk into an Apple Store and they're guaranteed to replace the palm rest and screen bezel for free.

The policy in and of itself might be above and beyond, but them doing it to your MacBook was just standard policy for Apple. Of course, that doesn't diminish the fact that it's great support, I'd say it increases their level of support.

----------

The main thing I hate is I usually have to wait 30-45 mins more than my apt time.

Do you mean that if your appointment is at 2:30, you don't get seen until 3:00/3:15? If so, that's too bad. The Apple Store near me is pretty good about keeping within 10 minutes of the scheduled time.

----------

If you Google for Alienware Horror Stories, Dell Horror Stories, and/or HP Horror Stories you receive a plethora of angry, frustrated tales.

Try that for Apple. You get just as many.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Apple customer care is the best in the world. They do anything to make loyal customers happy with their products. It's one of the reasons why we all love Apple so much. You just can't get this experience with the likes of Dell, HP and Google Android. Apple will always win.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
FWIW, that is a specific customer satisfaction policy. Anyone with a cracked MacBook that's younger than 3 or 4 years (something around that age) can walk into an Apple Store and they're guaranteed to replace the palm rest and screen bezel for free.

The policy in and of itself might be above and beyond, but them doing it to your MacBook was just standard policy for Apple. Of course, that doesn't diminish the fact that it's great support, I'd say it increases their level of support.

Yeah, I had actually recently read about an increase in the warranty or something. The thing that stood out to me was that the genius asked if I would like it replaced. And I had been in at least once or twice prior and no one mentioned. It's one thing if I walked in and said hey can you replace my cracked palm rest, but it's another when they offer.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Either there is a huge discrepancy between the US and Europe when it comes to the customer service of HP and Dell, or there has been a rapid deterioration. All of my experiences with Dell, and later HP, has been pretty much as smooth and painless as the OP's story. Or maybe I've just been lucky in beating the odds...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Either there is a huge discrepancy between the US and Europe when it comes to the customer service of HP and Dell, or there has been a rapid deterioration. All of my experiences with Dell, and later HP, has been pretty much as smooth and painless as the OP's story. Or maybe I've just been lucky in beating the odds...

The point being? HP and Dell finally catching on and improving customer support doesn't have much relevance to the current discussion...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
The point being? HP and Dell finally catching on and improving customer support doesn't have much relevance to the current discussion...

Finally catching on? I'm talking about 1992-2009, i.e. during the period I mainly used Dell and later on HP computers. I would say my experiences with their customer support in comparison with the OP's story is as relevant as the other posts talking about their customer support in comparison with the OP's story. Yet it's only my post you target...

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
With Dell and HP, I get transferred to call centers where people can't understand me and end up on hold for hours at a time. Getting my broken 3007wfp-hc replaced was a nightmare.

With Apple, I can go in and talk to someone who speaks English. Thats the biggest +1 for me.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Finally catching on? I'm talking about 1992-2009, i.e. during the period I mainly used Dell and later on HP computers. I would say my experiences with their customer support in comparison with the OP's story is as relevant as the other posts talking about their customer support in comparison with the OP's story. Yet it's only my post you target...

The other stories were also talking about Apple's support, which is what this thread is about. I don't see how Dell/HP support is relevant, as their level of support doesn't affect Apple's one way or another.

Maybe you were replying to srxtr's post, but it wasn't clear. That's the ONLY mention of support from someone other than Apple, so I'm not sure what "other posts" you're referring to.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england

Good customer support!

i say keep both the iMac and the MBP!

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
i had a similar experience with my 17" MBP as well..a lot of issues and a lot of mistakes on Apples part...that included them screwing up my superdrive, backlit keyboard, screen hinge, and bottom case screws.

good stuff though. as to what to keep, i like the mobility of the 17"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.