Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggermac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Hi,

I recently bought an iPod nano 6G and would like to know if there is a way to find out if it is a refurbished one.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
You could probably take it to an Apple store or an Apple certified service provider and have them look up the specific details based on your serial number.

What exactly are you trying to find out? Warranty status?

biggermac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Well, it was being sold as new - not as refurbished.

Hence, I'm curious if there is a way to tell.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
As far as I know, Apple sell refurbished product explicitly as refurbs. In fact, there often some very tidy savings to be made buying from the Refurb section of the online Apple store (they arrive in a plain box rather than standard Apple packaging, but are otherwise indistinguishable from new).

If it's sold in-store or online as new, I think you should be confident it's exactly that.

Cheers

Jim

bryantp93

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
If you would like to post the serial # I can look up this information for you. I am an apple certified technition and have access to that info.

macPDX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
refurbed nano or not

I bought a brand new iPod nano last year, only to discover (when the email from Apple showed up a month later to inform me that my warranty was about to run out), that my nano had already been bought, used, returned, repacked (and the packaging was pristine!) and resold.

I totally agree that the serial number is the way to find out the true history of your nano. Apple can not only give you the definitive answer as to whether or not it is a refurb, but which vendor it was originally sold to (which is both kind of cool and creepy)

(it turns out that, although I bought my nano from a well-known, nation-wide chain store, they weren't actually "official" Apple resellers; they bought their stock from a second, or maybe third, tier distributor, just to be able to carry Apple products on their shelves. Lesson learned on my part; since Apple prices rarely vary, I now always purchase directly from the Apple store or one of the true, reputable Apple vendors out there)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
(it turns out that, although I bought my nano from a well-known, nation-wide chain store, they weren't actually "official" Apple resellers; they bought their stock from a second, or maybe third, tier distributor, just to be able to carry Apple products on their shelves. Lesson learned on my part; since Apple prices rarely vary, I now always purchase directly from the Apple store or one of the true, reputable Apple vendors out there)
Which retailer was it? I'd like to know so that I could avoid them in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.