Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfinn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
I was hoping the cheap gigafast usb wireless adapter would work with my new ibook but it appears that there are no apple drivers for it. So, I need to make the choice between the apple airport extreme card or a 3rd party (probably less expensive) wireless usb adapter. I'm assuming the air port card would probably integrate with osx very well, but how about some of the 3rd party wireless adapters out there? What would you guys suggest? And specific suggestions for 3rd party wireless adapters are appreciated if you know for a fact that they work well with osx.

Thanks
Dan

Applespider

macrumors G4
The current iBooks have Airport Extreme cards as standard.

As far as third party solutions go, do you really want a USB connector hanging off your iBook and taking up a USB slot just to save a few bucks? If the iBooks had a PCI card slot like the bigger PB's it might not be so bad.

I'd get the Airport Extreme card. It's easy to install, it's guaranteed to work and you'll always have it with you when you're out and about with your iBook.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Airport Vs. USB Wireless adapter

I use a Buffalo wireless in my G4-400 PowerBook's PCMCIA slot. Your iBook doesn't have that does it? OSX 10.2 recognized it as an Airport Card. They make a(n) USB version but their web site doesn't say they support Macs.

My son has an old iMac DV with a D-Link DWL-122 that "had" Mac support. However it is not sold any longer and I have not been able to verify the newer models Mac support. He has also had some overheating issues and lock-ups with it.

I would agree with Applespider, get the Extreme card and be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.