Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Long story long....(couple tips for harddrive replacement..12" ibook G4 800)

-so today i purchased a 12" ibook G4 800/640 ram.....by the noise it was making i could tell it needed a new harddrive...price was right $40 and had a old 40 gig ide drive at home. (may replace again latter with new 160gig ide drive)

-so went to ifixit website and started following there details for harddrive replacement...i have a couple minor tips (least worked for me)

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook-G4-12-Inch-800-MHz-1-2-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/166/1

-step 33...no need to disconnect speaker cable from logic board,just lean upper case against something when starting next step.
-step 37 is unnecessary (no need to remove cable from logic board)
-step 39 is also unnecessary (no need to remove harddrive cable from case)
- to get around step 37/39 just lift hardrive up and pull orange ribbon carefully away.

ps: i found it best to number plastic baggies with the step and place screws in there own separate baggies per step.

..restored a image of tiger i had from another older ibook i once owned...made install so much faster
picture.php

..the doa original drive
picture.php

rx7dude

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Toronto
"ps: i found it best to number plastic baggies with the step and place screws in there own separate baggies per step."

Hey Thanks for posting. The baggie idea is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.