Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I'd like to use the Home Sharing feature of an AppleTV to stream rips of my DVD collection to other TVs in the house. That's pretty much my only ambition for this product.

Let me get this straight... in order to stream, I need iTunes 10. In order to run iTunes 10, I need to run Leopard or better. My iTunes collection is currently on a Mini that's running Tiger... so I need to fix that.

Why is it so important what version of OSX or iTunes is running on my computer, when the AppleTV is going to do all the heavy lifting as far as video playback goes? AFAICT, the Mac's job is just to grab the file and shoot it over to the AppleTV, which is hardly a complicated task beyond the capabilities of Tiger/iTunes 9.

It just seems like a lame move on Apple's part. The hardware is capable of doing what I want it to do, but the software won't allow it because my setup doesn't meet Apple's standards. Then again, that's kinda the mantra of the AppleTV "hobby". :confused:

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I'd like to use the Home Sharing feature of an AppleTV to stream rips of my DVD collection to other TVs in the house. That's pretty much my only ambition for this product.

Let me get this straight... in order to stream, I need iTunes 10. In order to run iTunes 10, I need to run Leopard or better. My iTunes collection is currently on a Mini that's running Tiger... so I need to fix that.

Why is it so important what version of OSX or iTunes is running on my computer, when the AppleTV is going to do all the heavy lifting as far as video playback goes? AFAICT, the Mac's job is just to grab the file and shoot it over to the AppleTV, which is hardly a complicated task beyond the capabilities of Tiger/iTunes 9.

It just seems like a lame move on Apple's part. The hardware is capable of doing what I want it to do, but the software won't allow it because my setup doesn't meet Apple's standards. Then again, that's kinda the mantra of the AppleTV "hobby". :confused:

If you have an Intel machine, you can snatch up Snow Leopard for 30 bucks. Your going to spend around 100+- for Leopard install DVD.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The specific technology to share copyrighted material over the network was added on Leopard, you can't do it on Tiger. You can't blame the company for upgrading their technology, it make sense that if you want to use a newer feature that you would need to upgrade.

If you ATV is jailbreakable, you can use something like PLex or XBMC, to do the same thing and you don't need to make any changes to your OS.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's a pity when you have 'chained dependencies' like that. In my case - sooner or later I'll buy some Apple device which requires a new version of iTunes, which requires a recent version of OSX, which won't install on my old G5 which is functioning fine as my home media server.

Still, I'm just grateful they're still supporting an 8 year-old machine with PowerPC releases of iTunes. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.