PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate on android

Pages : [1] 2

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 04:42 PM
OK i get this,it is an apple website but people claim issues of the 1.0 and 2.0 android days and keep on repeating them.I have seen plenty of reviews of the galaxy nexus and s2 and android 4.0 looks much better and interesting then IOS,in fact I have gotten to the point where I want to get a galaxy nexus and sell the iphone 4 that I have,but im in a two year contract:(.Now this is not meant to be a troll thread I just wonder have the android bashers actually tried and used Android 4.0?

EDIT:btw I have never had an android device for more then a day.

lordofthereef
Apr 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
Why do people hate on android?

Apparently they have nothing better to do. They feel strongly about something and it is unacceptable to them that everyone else doesn't feel the same way. They label their opinions as nothing but facts and don't seem to understand that the beauty of multiple platforms is that they give choice to the consumer. This description fits the bill for those hating on iOS too.

Those are my observations and opinions. :)

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 04:45 PM

Apparently they have nothing better to do. They feel strongly about something and it is unacceptable to them that everyone else doesn't feel the same way. They label their opinions as nothing but facts and don't seem to understand that the beauty of multiple platforms is that they give choice to the consumer. This description fits the bill for those hating on iOS too.

So I guess that makes us two "open minded" consumers;)

LSUtigers03
Apr 4, 2012, 04:48 PM
I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences with Android. In 2010 I had a Captivate and it was awful but Android has come a long way. ICS is a very very good OS. The Galaxy Nexus is the best smart phone I've ever owned and I've had every iPhone that Apple has released and I still have a 4s. Every OS has good and bad things about it but some users on both sides don't see that and they think their opinion is fact. Competition is good for the consumer. iPhone users should hope that Android continues to get better.

lordofthereef
Apr 4, 2012, 04:52 PM
I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences with Android.

Thing is, I have had bad experiences with iOS too. The one thing I cannot overlook, myself, is the lack of an ability to install third party programs onto my phone unless they are either accepted by Apple into the Appstore or I am running a hacked version of iOS. To be honest, I am not even sure how Apple has continued to get away with this. Can you imagine if they announced that nothing can be installed onto OSX unless it goes through the Mac App Store? The public outcry would be ridiculous.

Matthew9559
Apr 4, 2012, 04:54 PM
I like Android, the integration with Google services is fantastic and an obvious extension for many users.

I do have a few complaints with Android, most of them with the developers behind apps though. Example: Plants vs Zombies, only my favorite game, is not available on ICS (4 months now). That is rediclious, support on iOS is so much faster. We see updates to our apps very quickly after a new release of iOS.

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 04:54 PM
I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences with Android. In 2010 I had a Captivate and it was awful but Android has come a long way. ICS is a very very good OS. The Galaxy Nexus is the best smart phone I've ever owned and I've had every iPhone that Apple has released and I still have a 4s. Every OS has good and bad things about it but some users on both sides don't see that and they think their opinion is fact. Competition is good for the consumer. iPhone users should hope that Android continues to get better.

Would you recommend a galaxy nexus or galaxy s2? because I dont know if touchwiz makes up for no ice cream sandwich update in NZ right now or should I just get a Gnexus imported? if you reply i will be grateful:)

LSUtigers03
Apr 4, 2012, 04:56 PM
Thing is, I have had bad experiences with iOS too. The one thing I cannot overlook, myself, is the lack of an ability to install third party programs onto my phone unless they are either accepted by Apple into the Appstore or I am running a hacked version of iOS. To be honest, I am not even sure how Apple has continued to get away with this. Can you imagine if they announced that nothing can be installed onto OSX unless it goes through the Mac App Store? The public outcry would be ridiculous.

They can do it with iOS because it's always been that way so most people have just accepted it or they jailbreak and fix the problem.

sviato
Apr 4, 2012, 04:56 PM
Because this is a forum for Apple products

lordofthereef
Apr 4, 2012, 04:59 PM
They can do it with iOS because it's always been that way so most people have just accepted it or they jailbreak and fix the problem.

I am speaking legality here, moreso than acceptance. The answer to my own question is that laws pertaining to computers don't necessarily overlap into smartphones. They are not labeled as computers, therefore not considered as such. Plenty of our laws are outdated and archaic, needing an overhaul. Laws need to develop and grow with technology rather than trying to jimmy all new technologies to somehow fit into current laws IMO.

elppa
Apr 4, 2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe for the same reasons people irrationally "hate on" iOS (and Apple products in general).

LSUtigers03
Apr 4, 2012, 05:03 PM
Would you recommend a galaxy nexus or galaxy s2? because I dont know if touchwiz makes up for no ice cream sandwich update in NZ right now or should I just get a Gnexus imported? if you reply i will be grateful:)

I also have a galaxy s2 skyrocket and I prefer the Galaxy Nexus. I imported mine a few weeks ago and I've never been happier. I haven't had an issue with the reception which is the biggest complaint of the Nexus. I've also never had an app force close. The hardware isn't the best out there but it runs the software better than any other Android phone I've had. I just updated to 4.0.4 and it's very smooth and stable.

I like Android, the integration with Google services is fantastic and an obvious extension for many users.

I do have a few complaints with Android, most of them with the developers behind apps though. Example: Plants vs Zombies, only my favorite game, is not available on ICS (4 months now). That is rediclious, support on iOS is so much faster. We see updates to our apps very quickly after a new release of iOS.

This is why I stick with iOS and the iPad for major mobile gaming. You have a bigger selection of games and great ports of old favorites and they get updated quicker.

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 05:04 PM

Well there is gotta be some level headed people on this forum:rolleyes:

JoeG4
Apr 4, 2012, 05:05 PM
As a fan of both Apple products and Android phones, I hate seeing so much hate pushed around like this. Honestly I think it's even worse than the old school Mac bashing, only worse because phones for some odd reason are also seen as fashion accessories.

It is natural that most Android phones have less R&D time (thus, love) put into them; Most android phones are developed as a 'series' and have a unique variant for every carrier in the US, plus a few more variants around the world. There are probably more variants of the Samsung Galaxy S II than there have been models of iPhone produced!

I'll also agree there are a lot of shoddy 3rd party programs out there. Meebo strikes me as one of those that I've been meaning to get rid of but using anyway (it crashes every time I try to access it from the notification screen!)

The OS itself? I dunno, my (soon to be 2 year old) G2 can still pull about 2 days of battery life depending on how I use it. It did that with the stock version of 2.2 it came with, and with CM7. Development on the ICS build for that phone (of course, by the community, not by HTC or T-Mobile) has lead to a build I might start using in the next month or so.

The resale value hasn't been bad either. Yea, it was worth about $200-250 after I got it from T-Mobile for free for being a loyal customer. Surprisingly, it's still worth about $150 on ebay. (holy crap!) The only difference in resale is that $200 I didn't spend.

It works and it's been really durable. Will I go android again next time around? I might very well. I like how tightly integrated it is with Google Voice & Gmail, and having things like quick dial icons on the home screen is a nice touch (something I haven't seen on iOS or WP7).

onthecouchagain
Apr 4, 2012, 05:09 PM
Anybody who has genuinely used both platforms will say they both have their share of problems. Admitting anything less would do disservice to either camp.

noteple
Apr 4, 2012, 05:10 PM
It's the platform.

So many combinations of handsets, OS version and front ends.

Any combination can give you something different to complain about.

Even among Android users there is in-fighting about the worst and the best.

ICS is starting to pull it all together but there a much larger faction that doesn't have it, cannot get it, or their handset won't support it.

matttye
Apr 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
No idea.

Competing products should be welcomed with open arms. Companies strive to better their products and the consumers ultimately benefit from competition.

Android and iOS are both excellent OSes and each have their own pluses and minuses.

Savor
Apr 4, 2012, 05:17 PM
Android is more or less like the next generation OS of Windows Mobile and even Symbian for the touchscreen era. Think back to what WinMo could do and it could pretty much do alot of what Android could do today. When you look at OSes, they generally look and get used the same since that first release. If ain't broke, don't fix it. Apple and Microsoft are both guilty of this with their desktop and mobile OSes. It took 9 years for Microsoft to really change their mobile OS with WP7. I generally like all OSes. Android is the most Windows-PC like for me when it comes to current OSes. I like that you can really have file manager and sideload apps without a need to root (aka jailbreak). I am typing from an Android phone now and find good ways on using it. I treat it like X-Men where each one has a special power and are great at a specific task.

Sangdushi
Apr 4, 2012, 05:36 PM
Some used mid or low range devices and got burned so now they hate it. Others are just elitist hive mind idiots. :)

MTI
Apr 4, 2012, 05:40 PM
For some, it's the belief that for one to suceed, the other must fail. That belief system props up the human belief that one's selection is ultimately superior to other choices, rendering all other choices "lesser" in a belief system that can only conceive of a single ultimate.

It's quite common in zealots and fundamentalist. ;)

Lindenhurst
Apr 4, 2012, 05:43 PM
Wirelessly posted

Yep...
Kind of like going to a Camaro forum and talking about mustangs

RolandNights
Apr 4, 2012, 06:41 PM
People get stuck thinking in terms of winners versus losers, us versus them. For some people, the hate serves to justify the choice they have made (in this case, choosing iOS over Android). Goes every which way and in many areas of life.

s15119
Apr 4, 2012, 06:41 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaawn.

haters gonna hate.

-aggie-
Apr 4, 2012, 06:46 PM
People on here hate Android?:)

DroidRules
Apr 4, 2012, 06:55 PM
OK i get this,it is an apple website but people claim issues of the 1.0 and 2.0 android days and keep on repeating them.I have seen plenty of reviews of the galaxy nexus and s2 and android 4.0 looks much better and interesting then IOS,in fact I have gotten to the point where I want to get a galaxy nexus and sell the iphone 4 that I have,but im in a two year contract:(.Now this is not meant to be a troll thread I just wonder have the android bashers actually tried and used Android 4.0?

For the same reason they make these types of threads. To start a pissing contest and flame war.

M5RahuL
Apr 4, 2012, 06:58 PM
They hate on Android to reinforce their belief in the superficial superiority of iOS, and therefore exhibit their ignorance of tech.

That, or their IQ is just questionable ;)

aneftp
Apr 4, 2012, 07:02 PM
I have owned multiple iOS and android devices including the first iPhone and first g1 android devices. And currently own the iPhone 4s. Just sold my galaxy nexus LTE cause it was driving me crazy. (Samsung has horrible CDMA antenna

So I love both android and iOS. Don't get me wrong. But in the past year alone I've gone with a my touch 4g, galaxy s vibrant, S2, atrix, and now the gnex. All those phones have pros and cons. Yes I have an expensive habit. Always buying and reselling.

So there is no hate on my part. I just wished apple and google would design the perfect device. The 4S is the most solid iPhone device to date. The iphone 4 drove me crazy with its sensor issue The sensor defect in my opinion was a far bigger issue than antenna gate Random handups etc cause of the sesor activating. Just the screen getting too small for me.

I love the atrix RF and 4 inch screen. Just hated the washed out screen pentile quality. The my touch was good but random reboots annoyed the heck out of me. S2 would have been great if resolution was better on 4.3 inch screen. 4.3 a little too bug for me. The gnex was too long for me and the speakers sucked. Screen gorgeous despite pentile. But the killer was the poor antenna design by Samsung on CDMA galaxy nexus.

See. I find fault in both iPhone and android. iPhone with 4 inch screen would be perfect. Maybe S3 will be perfect android device. I pray it's not 4.8 inches.

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 08:29 PM
For the same reason they make these types of threads. To start a pissing contest and flame war.

I aint trollin....... I am honestly asking this.

DroidRules
Apr 4, 2012, 08:33 PM

Didn't say you were trolling simply that there IS no point to these types of threads but to piss people off and have people flex their cyber muscles. You could have done a search and been pointed towards tons of threads asking/discussing the same question. You asked why people hate on android and I gave you the answer as it pertains to those types of threads being on MR.

Consultant
Apr 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
Sad history of support
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Hypocrisy
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/04/04/hypocrisy

etc.

Exactly.

Jordan921
Apr 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
Why do people hate on iOS?

ixodes
Apr 4, 2012, 08:45 PM
My post here says it all...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14668883&posted=1#post14668883

mbell1975
Apr 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
Rather than pointing out all the things that caused me to switch to iOS after 6 Android phones in 3 years, I will list what Google, the manufacturers and carriers can do to win some of us back.

First and foremost, fix the fragmentation bullish*t already, its been FAR too long. Google announced a year ago that they partnered with Samsung, HTC, Motorola and LG as well as the 4 major carriers to guarantee support of phones for at least 18 months and they were supposed to set a timeframe for the carriers to release the new OS. Well here we are a year later, ICS has been out for 5 months...where is it? Only 3% of Android phones are running it, pathetic. Just fix it. Get every phone within the last year updated to ICS before your greedy asses release another handset to turn a profit. Require all carriers to update existing phones to the new OS within 60 days, thats reasonable.

Next, and I know this is going to rile up the Fandroids and have them crying about too much control but Google needs to crack down on the market. Require apps to be tested and then approved before they can be uploaded to the market/store. Anyone can created an app and throw it in the store, many are poorly written which lead to battery drain and more malicious ones are turning up. Look thru the store and read the comments, you will see comments about an app not working with certain phones but other phones run it just fine. Moderate it and clean it up.

Thats a good start...

ucfgrad93
Apr 4, 2012, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately, there is hate directed at all OS platforms. It is sad that people get so wrapped up in their technology choices. Choose what works best for you and let others do the same.

Jordan921
Apr 4, 2012, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately, there is hate directed at all OS platforms. It is sad that people get so wrapped up in their technology choices. Choose what works best for you and let others do the same.

This. I choose iOS because it works for me, and because of that people say i'm a fanboy. Can people just get over it and just use what works for you and move on.

chrono1081
Apr 4, 2012, 09:13 PM

This has to do with the fragmentation many people claim doesn't exist (even though it does in spades).

Basically the game has to be tested for all of the major hardware configurations out there. Popcap can't just release it like they do on iOS and know it'll work on the hardware.

Although ICS is a single OS, the sheer amount of hardware that can run it is where the fragmentation lies and is why games take much longer to make on Android vs iOS.

----------

This.

Yumunum
Apr 4, 2012, 09:13 PM
Because there are big faults with Android/Android phones. Also, people may have had bad experiences. (I've had multiple)

Not saying there aren't faults with the iPhone. I'm also not saying the iPhone is the "best." Just stating why Android gets hate.

I think people are too quick to jump on the "Troll!" bandwagon. Is it not believable that the OP may have just wanted to know why people hate on Android? Maybe he's just curious. Or maybe he's thinking about buying one. We don't want to jump to conclusions.

Nermal
Apr 4, 2012, 09:15 PM

Apparently (http://android.modaco.com/topic/352944-htc-one-x-review/) the HTC One X (http://www.htc.com/nz/smartphones/htc-one-x/) (coming to Telecom on 26/4) is pretty good. I know that doesn't answer your explicit question but it's another option :)

Yumunum
Apr 4, 2012, 09:19 PM
Apparently (http://android.modaco.com/topic/352944-htc-one-x-review/) the HTC One X (http://www.htc.com/nz/smartphones/htc-one-x/) (coming to Telecom on 26/4) is pretty good. I know that doesn't answer your explicit question but it's another option :)

Or he could wait for the Galaxy S III. Which should hopefully be out soon.

Samsung is a beast. Waiting might be a good idea

throAU
Apr 4, 2012, 10:18 PM
Why do *I* hate android? (well, hate is a strong word, i just wouldn't buy one)

- i've yet to find a handset that feels as well made as my iphone(s)
- I take spec-sheets with a pinch of salt - because much of android is java/javascript and not native code, cpu spec improvement doesn't necessarily mean faster than iphone
- having been in the PC industry since the late 80s, i've seen what allowing any user to install anything can do to the security of your device fleet (if you are the person responsible for supporting them, its a pain)
- the iphone does what i want it to do
- the fragmentation, I believe will be a problem - already developers are complaining about the number of devices they need to test on. as a hobby developer myself, the ability to test on a handful of devices to ensure my app works is attractive

edit:
and yes, the iphone has faults/trade-offs. The faults or trade-offs the iphone makes are preferable to those I see with android. for me.

I can get any phone i want to evaluate for work (for free), and its an iphone that I use day to day.

kdarling
Apr 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
The Internet is filled with posts by young males.

Enough said.

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 11:27 PM
Because there are big faults with Android/Android phones. Also, people may have had bad experiences. (I've had multiple)

Not saying there aren't faults with the iPhone. I'm also not saying the iPhone is the "best." Just stating why Android gets hate.

I think people are too quick to jump on the "Troll!" bandwagon. Is it not believable that the OP may have just wanted to know why people hate on Android? Maybe he's just curious. Or maybe he's thinking about buying one. We don't want to jump to conclusions.

Thank you for believing this was a legit question,It is in fact.

----------

Actually I wanted either the "pure" android experience or touchwiz because my friends s2(obviously) has touch wiz and I have grown used to it:).So I might as well wait for the galaxy nexus or the s3 in NZ

----------

Actually I wanted either the "pure" android experience or touchwiz because my friends s2(obviously) has touch wiz and I have grown used to it:).So I might as well wait for the galaxy nexus or the s3 in NZ

M5RahuL
Apr 4, 2012, 11:47 PM

You probably read/saw this and started another useless thread [ trolling ] here... :rolleyes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57409388-94/iphone-users-android-is-ruining-our-instagram-club/

macbook pro i5
Apr 4, 2012, 11:51 PM
You probably read/saw this and started another useless thread [ trolling ] here... :rolleyes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57409388-94/iphone-users-android-is-ruining-our-instagram-club/
Actually I have never read that I dont read cnet...

chrismarle
Apr 4, 2012, 11:53 PM
I hate Android for a few reasons:

1) You are always outdated. You get a brand new phone for 200$ and locked in a 2 years contract and guess what? 2 months after, a new and better phone is out. You can never have the best device, there is always one that get better after a really short period.

2) The way that they are working with the software is unacceptable. Carriers and OEM are ruling the OS. Example: it's pure laziness that Samsung said that the original Galaxy S can't run ICS because they can't put their TouchWiz (the KIRF iOS, you know) one the device. Instead, they will release an ICS KIRF update. Android 4.0 is available since last October and only 2.9% of the devices are running it and is has been a few months. iOS 5.1 got released a shot while ago but it's on more than 70% of the devices. Google is loosing the control of it's own OS and it's fragmented as hell. Another good example, last year's flagship Android phone, the Nexus S, is just starting to get Android 4.0 while everyone was once saying "I'm buying a Nexus S because it's a Google Phone and I'll get Android 4.0 really fast!"... Yeah, right.

3) Then we are at performances and reliability. Is Android reliable? Not at my point of view. It's common to hear some stories about random reboots even on the latest devices (Galaxy Nexus). This is something I've never heard of or seen on iOS and since updates on Android are taking a lifetime to be released, you are alone with your problems for a while. Then, performances wise, it's not quite better. My dualcore 800mhz iPhone 4S is easily crushing the Samsung Galaxy S II and every other Android flagship devices (we'll have to see with the Tegra 3 and the S4 though).

So, that's what I'm thinking about Android.

JoeG4
Apr 5, 2012, 12:36 AM
This has to do with the fragmentation many people claim doesn't exist (even though it does in spades).

When it comes to games, I've heard that because some GPUs have features that others don't - and somehow with Android you're kinda forced to program more specifically. That makes things frustrating for the devs because again - some GPUs support things and others have to have it done a different way.

Is that true?

Most of the time I hear people on here talk about fragmentation they explain it by going into different screen sizes, hardware keyboards, and stuff like HTC sense and Samsung touchwiz, and how the bundled programs vary by model and carrier. Really now? That's not even a problem.

The more accustomed I get to MS' Windows Phone and Windows 8, the more I dislike them.

mbell1975
Apr 5, 2012, 12:42 AM
Sad history of support
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Wow, that is truly pathetic.

Old Smuggler
Apr 5, 2012, 12:46 AM
Because they are not open minded

chrisbetty
Apr 5, 2012, 12:47 AM
Stubbornness,Lack of ability to accept another option out of pure personal preference.

William.Mantle
Apr 5, 2012, 12:48 AM
Why do people fight over religion?!

iArrudaG
Apr 5, 2012, 12:54 AM
I think it's because some people care too much about what others use. :o

irDigital0l
Apr 5, 2012, 01:09 AM
Because people have opinions....

lol

macbook pro i5
Apr 5, 2012, 01:25 AM
Because people have opinions....

lol

But they are not opinions if u are ready to die for iOS or android for that matter it's showing that they are not open minded,sorry if my reply has a bad ring just trying to have a healthy debate:)

----------

Enough said.

I'm a 14 year old male but I like trying something new....

chrono1081
Apr 5, 2012, 02:25 AM
When it comes to games, I've heard that because some GPUs have features that others don't - and somehow with Android you're kinda forced to program more specifically. That makes things frustrating for the devs because again - some GPUs support things and others have to have it done a different way.

Is that true?

Most of the time I hear people on here talk about fragmentation they explain it by going into different screen sizes, hardware keyboards, and stuff like HTC sense and Samsung touchwiz, and how the bundled programs vary by model and carrier. Really now? That's not even a problem.

The more accustomed I get to MS' Windows Phone and Windows 8, the more I dislike them.

Different GPU's are problems too. Its very very hard to deal with performance unless your game is basic and doesn't require much processing power.

As for the screen sizes it can be a big problem. Art has to be redone for each screen size or the game won't look as good as it can, but the biggest issue is screen proportions. You can throw a giant monkey wrench into a video game by changing the aspect ratio of the screen.

Even if you use an engine like Unity 3D that handles this very well, you can still end up with issues especially with on screen controls and positions. I'm currently dealing with this myself trying to get my iOS game to work smoothly on Android so I can release on both platforms at the same time.

BornAgainMac
Apr 5, 2012, 03:13 AM
I have an Android tablet (Xoom) and an iPad. Apps like Angry Birds startup slower and generic apps like IMDB look terrible compared the the iPad version. I have seen photos taken from Android phones and they look terrible like the iPad 2. The only positive thing I can say is that Flash wasn't horrible when using the browser. Resale value with my Android was a fraction of what I paid for it and now it sits in a drawer. I only picked the Xoom because I wouldn't have to deal with a contract and I really was curious about all the hype with Android and the iPad 2 was always sold out for the first few months.

matttye
Apr 5, 2012, 06:24 AM
Sad history of support

Hypocrisy
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/04/04/hypocrisy

etc.

Exactly.

I've seen that first link before. Ice cream sandwich is a step in the right direction because Google allows developers to force their app to use the Holo theme, which is standard ics. This should make it easier for developers to update their apps on the various devices they release for.

This isn't going to help with upgrading Android itself, but will mitigate some of the fragmentation problems (once everybody is actually updated to ice cream sandwich of course)

I know you shouldn't have to, but rooting is so easy to do and a lot of the time the custom roms are actually better than the official ones, especially where battery life is concerned!

I think the best thing for Android would be for rooting to be embraced and allowed in warranties. Bricked phones are a rarity.

mbell1975
Apr 5, 2012, 07:10 AM
I think the best thing for Android would be for rooting to be embraced and allowed in warranties. Bricked phones are a rarity.

That will never happen since rooting always results in removing carrier specific bloat ware and they can't have that. Also, carriers and/or manufacturers don't want to be held responsible when some idiot flashes the wrong rom to his phone and bricks it or the dev can't get the camera or some feature working and the customer takes his phone back crying. You were right when you said you shouldn't have to. Having to hack your phone to instal a rom some guy threw together in his basement just to make your phone work correctly is ********* to begin with. Gotta love Android :rolleyes:

matttye
Apr 5, 2012, 07:22 AM
That will never happen since rooting always results in removing carrier specific bloat ware and they can't have that. Also, carriers and/or manufacturers don't want to be held responsible when some idiot flashes the wrong rom to his phone and bricks it or the dev can't get the camera or some feature working and the customer takes his phone back crying. You were right when you said you shouldn't have to. Having to hack your phone to instal a rom some guy threw together in his basement just to make your phone work correctly is ********* to begin with. Gotta love Android :rolleyes:

I didn't say it would happen, I said it would be good if it did. Phones are very rarely bricked. I had to pull my phone battery in the middle of a ROM install, thought the worst but it was absolutely fine.

Plus people don't have to hack their phones to make them work, but the option is there. I wanted ice cream sandwich and to get rid of touch wiz + samsungs other bloat. My phone worked fine before, it just wasn't to my tastes. I prefer the stock Android experience but the Galaxy Nexus isn't enough of an upgrade my phone to warrant buying it. Therefore I rooted and installed an ics rom in about 15 minutes.. Incredibly easy to do.

Rooting isn't a necessity. The galaxy s2 is a superb phone and works fine with stock firmware. Have you used one or is your blind hatred of android talking as usual?

mbell1975
Apr 5, 2012, 07:49 AM
Rooting isn't a necessity. The galaxy s2 is a superb phone and works fine with stock firmware. Have you used one or is your blind hatred of android talking as usual?

Yep, had the Epic Touch since it was released. Just sold it a few days ago actually. Was a good phone but I had too many issues with Go launcher and Go SMS. Battery life sucked too. I much prefer my 4s

matttye
Apr 5, 2012, 10:23 AM
Yep, had the Epic Touch since it was released. Just sold it a few days ago actually. Was a good phone but I had too many issues with Go launcher and Go SMS. Battery life sucked too. I much prefer my 4s

Fair enough. Different people prefer different things. You shouldn't assume that everybody has those issues though.

Safari used to force close on my iPad a lot. Instead of whining and telling everyone the iPad sucks I googled the issue and found that a restore usually helps. I did that and it's fine now. :)

onthecouchagain
Apr 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
i treat it like x-men where each one has a special power and are great at a specific task.

Specific powers, and also specific weaknesses. Good analogy.

MrMoore
Apr 5, 2012, 11:15 AM
What would happen if you went to a Coca-Cola forum and said you prefer Pepsi?
What would happen if you went to a Windows forum and said Ubuntu is better?
What would happen if you went to a Ford forum and said Toyota rules?

I think that is the reasoning for Android "hate" here. When you post a positive view regarding a competing product, a person might take it as you attacking their decision on choosing their product.

I like healthy discussion but for the most part it always dwindles down to the "Fanboy/Troll" accusations. Probably the reason I rarely get involved in these posts.

You like Android good for you. I like iOS. Whatever suits your needs. Why the aggression because someone did not make the same "enlighten" decision as you?

Enough said.

That too... :D

Carry on!

mbell1975
Apr 5, 2012, 11:23 AM

I think that is the reasoning for Android "hate" here. When you post a positive view regarding a competing product, a person might take it as you attacking their decision on choosing their product.

I like healthy discussion but for the most part it always dwindles down to the "Fanboy/Troll" accusations. Probably the reason I rarely get involved in these posts.

You like Android good for you. I like iOS. Whatever suits your needs. Why the aggression because someone did not make the same "enlighten" decision as you?

That too... :D

Carry on!

This x10

You like Android, fine, good for you. But to come into an IPHONE forum and start listing reasons why its superior to iPhone and iOS while bashing it and Apple is simply trolling. The same way someone here going into an Android forum and making posts about why we think the iPhone is superior to Android would be trolling. There was already a huge thread called "Switched to Android and loving it" all of this crap could have gone in.

AlphaVictor87
Apr 5, 2012, 11:35 AM

Probably the best explanation.

I love my 4s, but i don't go around saying its the most amazing phone ever, yet i get bashed on at work for owning one by all of the Android users.

You can just tell the difference of when people like it because it does what they need it to (me), end of story no hate for any other type of OS, and people that need to hate on the other OS because they feel they have to justify why they have the phone that they have

takeshi74
Apr 5, 2012, 11:39 AM
Why do people hate on android
Why does it matter? People hate on all sorts of things. Understanding why won't really help IMO and there are a number of possible reasons. Just a few:

Bad experiences (and the faulty assumption that one's experiences indicate a larger trend)
Ignorance
Brand loyalty/fanboyism
Inability to separate opinion from fact
Inability to separate objective from subjective/self centeredness/tunnel vision ("What I want/need is what everyone wants/needs")
Inability to realize that all choices in life, including picking a smartphone, have pros and cons and that people differ in what pros and cons they're willing to deal with
Inability to realize that you can choose one option without hating the alternatives
Relying on products to determine one's own self worth
Us versus them mentality

Always consider the source. Filter them out as they're not contributing to the discussion no matter what the topic is. Typically such people don't supply the why behind their statements. If they do, they support an alleged "fact" or "objective" statement with their own personal preference. Learn to spot them based on how they write and present their arguments. Don't give in to the trolling. They're not unique to Android haters or even smartphone discussions for that matter.

Although ICS is a single OS, the sheer amount of hardware that can run it is where the fragmentation lies and is why games take much longer to make on Android vs iOS.
Fragmentation is frequently cited by forum users. Android developers seem to frequently cite the development tools for Android from what I've seen.

That's the reader's problem then. Person 1's liking option A and person 2's liking option B are unrelated. If you get upset because someone likes something that you don't like then you are the problem.

Now, on the other hand, if someone busts in and tells you that you chose the wrong thing and don't know what you're doing without any knowledge of your criteria or selection process, that's entirely different.

matttye
Apr 5, 2012, 12:00 PM
This x10

You like Android, fine, good for you. But to come into an IPHONE forum and start listing reasons why its superior to iPhone and iOS while bashing it and Apple is simply trolling. The same way someone here going into an Android forum and making posts about why we think the iPhone is superior to Android would be trolling. There was already a huge thread called "Switched to Android and loving it" all of this crap could have gone in.

The funny thing is that not many people actually do that.

Most people who post about Android being great etc are posting in response to iDevice users putting Android down! You have people like me who own both iOS and Android devices, so I'm here and I see a lot of false information being thrown around about Android..course I'm going to respond.

lordofthereef
Apr 5, 2012, 12:24 PM
Why does it matter? People hate on all sorts of things. Understanding why won't really help IMO and there are a number of possible reasons. Just a few:

Bad experiences (and the faulty assumption that one's experiences indicate a larger trend)
Ignorance
Brand loyalty/fanboyism
Inability to separate opinion from fact
Inability to separate objective from subjective/self centeredness/tunnel vision ("What I want/need is what everyone wants/needs")
Inability to realize that all choices in life, including picking a smartphone, have pros and cons and that people differ in what pros and cons they're willing to deal with
Inability to realize that you can choose one option without hating the alternatives
Relying on products to determine one's own self worth
Us versus them mentality

For someone who doesn't seem to think it matters, you sure did produce a pretty detailed list there. :)

mbell1975
Apr 5, 2012, 12:31 PM
Here are two great articles that sum up why many hate Android. Believe it or not, most the hate comes for former users like this guy and not from Apple fanboys as many think.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/im-sick-to-death-of-android/20242?tag=mantle_skin;content

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/google-needs-to-take-back-android-from-the-oems/20246?tag=content;siu-container

wlfpck
Apr 5, 2012, 12:44 PM
I have used several iPhones as well as Android phones. I think it really boils down to several things that people have already mentioned.

- Android users (who used a mid or low end device) and then upgraded to an iPhone will cry about how iOS is so much better even though they never used a high end android device comparable to that of the iPhone. They assume that the low end android experience is the same as the high end experience.

- A person bought a device and sees the cool new features of a device using another os and feel inferior. They then feel the need to justify their choice in device to make them feel better.

- People think that they are an expert with an IQ of 30000 and therefore, their opinions are the only conceivable thoguht that is correct. Anything that does not agree with their ideas is false and the other person is a moron.

- They have nothing better to do.

- The next world war is going to be fought over operating systems.

I have an iPhone along with low end and high end android devices. I enjoy both Android and iOS and would love to give windows phone 7 a try. It's all a matter of what you want to do and what features you need. At least in my opinion anyways...

cynics
Apr 5, 2012, 12:47 PM
Here are two great articles that sum up why many hate Android. Believe it or not, most the hate comes for former users like this guy and not from Apple fanboys as many think.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/im-sick-to-death-of-android/20242?tag=mantle_skin;content

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/google-needs-to-take-back-android-from-the-oems/20246?tag=content;siu-container

The first link he praises android for its openness. The next he wants google to take it back.

All he's on about are updates. Valid argument but hes just looking for the highest version number. Hardly any mention of what he needed the update for.

mbell1975
Apr 5, 2012, 12:48 PM
The first link he praises android for its openness. The next he wants google to take it back.

Different writers....

Blakjack
Apr 5, 2012, 01:14 PM

cynics
Apr 5, 2012, 01:50 PM
Different writers....

Oops! Lol regardless it's opposing views.

cynics
Apr 5, 2012, 02:01 PM

Same reasons listed above for android.

If someone says that their experience with android wasn't good or even never tried it but has had great luck with ios. Then by all means tell everyone how you feel when someone comes looking for advise.

But I think neither android or iPhone/iOS forums need topics simply started to start a heated argument. All it does is starts a pissing match.

I'm a member of xoomforums and they have a VS section. Although I think they only have one thread talking about iPads (mostly other Android tablets) its surprisingly civil. I don't know if that would work here or not.

b166er
Apr 5, 2012, 02:20 PM
I think Android is ok. In m opinion it depends on the hardware. As others have said the Galaxy SII is pretty awesome. I played with one for a while and I really liked it. Half my friends are on Android, the other half on iOS. I'm on iOS and have been since the 3G days.

I prefer iOS because I prefer mac to windows and everything integrates very well. I also have a lot of money invested in the app store, so unless iOS started to really go downhill and Android had some vastly superior feature that I just had to have, I wouldn't switch any time soon.

I don't hate android at all, I just think the benefits of iOS outweigh the benefits of Android for ME.

MrMoore
Apr 5, 2012, 04:47 PM
That's the reader's problem then. Person 1's liking option A and person 2's liking option B are unrelated. If you get upset because someone likes something that you don't like then you are the problem.

Now, on the other hand, if someone busts in and tells you that you chose the wrong thing and don't know what you're doing without any knowledge of your criteria or selection process, that's entirely different.

I agree, I am just stating why I think it happens. Someone preferring Android (or iOS) over another should no effect on how they like their phone.

I guess it the same as having a favorite team. When someone else cheer for another you don't like it. I think Android vs iOS has the same mentality.

Yay my team.
Boo Your team.

:D

cynics
Apr 5, 2012, 04:56 PM
I agree, I am just stating why I think it happens. Someone preferring Android (or iOS) over another should no effect on how they like their phone.

I guess it the same as having a favorite team. When someone else cheer for another you don't like it. I think Android vs iOS has the same mentality.

Yay my team.
Boo Your team.

:D

Good analogy. Not as good as the x men one but good none the less. :)

MistahMumford
Apr 5, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure. I thought I was all Android. Then I got my 4 and thought I was all iOS. I bought a Razr and LOVED it. I just like a good phone. I picked up a 4S and will likely trade the 4 for another Razr. It's an EXCELLENT device!!

lordofthereef
Apr 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure. I thought I was all Android. Then I got my 4 and thought I was all iOS. I bought a Razr and LOVED it. I just like a good phone. I picked up a 4S and will likely trade the 4 for another Razr. It's an EXCELLENT device!!

Bipolar disorder! :P

MistahMumford
Apr 5, 2012, 09:27 PM
Bipolar disorder! :P

I do believe you're correct! :D

macbook pro i5
Apr 5, 2012, 09:32 PM
I do believe you're correct! :D

I was very confused when you posted I thought we had a mad man here:eek::D

JoeG4
Apr 5, 2012, 10:30 PM

Problem is, this started out as a forum for Mac users. There are a lot of Mac users that couldn't care less about phone OSes. The number of people that have a join date before 2006 that have such a strong hate for Android products is almost 0. Most of the flagrant trolls/haters are recent members.

Sdahe
Apr 5, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hate Android?... Why?

McGiord
Apr 6, 2012, 06:32 PM
The main reasons I don't like Android is because some users clutter the iPhone forum with lame topics like this.

0m3ga
Apr 6, 2012, 07:34 PM
Gingerbread = okay
Honeycomb = garbage
ICS = Awesome

Hate toward Android? Not here. I use just about every OS out there including Windows 8 Metro beta version on my HP. All OS's have their merits and negatives. Even iOS.

By the way, having the ability to add expandable memory is a real plus when it comes to Android devices. Wish Apple would add this ability.

JAT
Apr 7, 2012, 09:52 AM
Why do people fight over religion?!

I think we should just be happy, now. Because until the internet came, ALL people fought over was religion. At least we have choice to fight over frivolity these days.

Apple...
Apr 7, 2012, 10:16 AM
Ever read MG Siegler's thoughts (http://parislemon.com/post/15604811641/why-i-hate-android) before?

swanny007
Apr 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
I don't hate Android, but there's no way I would buy one because:
- Cheaper plastic feel of the phones
- There's a latest and greatest new phone out every 2 months
- I don't want to have to root my phone for any reason
- Need to be signed in with Google to use many features
- Google tracks everything you do (big brother)
- No support from Google, excellent support from Apple

With that said, about the only thing I want from a future iPhone is a slightly larger screen. I don't want a phablet in my pocket ;-)

VulchR
Apr 7, 2012, 01:43 PM
I do not hate Android, but I do not prefer it for the following the reasons

I don't like the look and feel of the Android GUI.
I do not trust Google not to invade my privacy. Indeed, they make money only through invading my privacy.
The Android ecosystem seems to me to be a little bit like the Wild West.
I find iOS to be the best alternative for me. This is not uninformed opinion, for I have been programming and working with IT since the days of punch cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming_in_the_punched_card_era).

What I do loathe is the constant posts in this forum about Android. This forum is entitled 'iPhone', and I expect to see interesting discussions focused on the iPhone here, not some wholly unrelated product. I get that some people here find iPhone/Android comparison threads valuable, but I don't. There has been far too much trolling, spamming, and guerrilla marketing for Android in this forum for my taste.

Thus, I once again call for a separate subforum for discussion about how iOS/iPhone compares to other OS's/phone's. I'm not saying that MR should ban Android threads, but that they deserve their own subforum. I'm posting this request in every Android thread I can be bothered to read.

JoeG4
Apr 7, 2012, 05:37 PM
On retrospect, you guys are nowhere near as bad as the people on twitter hating on Android users. According to them:

Android users are poor and ugly, and not worth socializing with. Yep.

http://imgur.com/a/L05iY

Savor
Apr 7, 2012, 07:34 PM
For me, why do people hate Samsung and turn around and buy Apple products? Apple is so dependent on Samsung's technology and speed. You criticize Samsung's build quality but you still make them richer by buying iOS devices because Apple makes them richer by being their #1 customer.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple...2012-is-out/

Displays, processors, DRAM, NAND flash chips and similar components are all supplied to Apple from Samsung.

Tarzanman
Apr 7, 2012, 08:37 PM
ANSWER:

Because Android makes them feel threatened and makes them second guess themselves.

Only a shallow person defines their self in terms of what they choose to consume.

"Look at me, i'm fancy because I have a Louis Vuitton <insert item> and drive an Audi/BMW/Porsche".

Neither your money nor your possessions make you sophisticated. Similarly, an iPhone (or android) doesn't make you hip or tech savvy.

How you choose to spend your time and your knowledge/personality/intelligence is what makes you clever/smart/tasteful/etc.

People around here don't seem to understand that at all.

Invincibilizer
Apr 7, 2012, 08:53 PM
I don't hate Android.

In fact iOS remains unchanged for so many years, I am going to switch to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The versatility and aesthetics of it is amazing to say the least.

Hating on Gingerbread,... reasonable
Hating on fragmentation,... reasonable

Hating on ICS or any of the core top Android Phones out already or this year is just hate out of jealousy.

Galaxy Nexus,HTC One Series and Samsung Galaxy S3

Great cameras, sharp displays, Dual core speed fury and with ICS on top of that.

Wow.

JoeG4
Apr 7, 2012, 09:43 PM
I've got to agree, there should be a subforum for people that use other kinds of mobile devices. There's definitely a place for Mac+Android or Mac+WP7 or Mac+Symbian or Mac+anything else related discussion on this board.

kockgunner
Apr 7, 2012, 10:38 PM
Because have been attacking Apple users since the early days and it's a natural reaction to go on the offensive to those attacking.

apollo1444
Apr 7, 2012, 10:46 PM
people dont hate android, Android people hate the iPhone and their users, I don't know if its because they can't afford the iPhone or they hate the fact that it just works better than an Android plastic piece of **** without rooting/jailbreaking, smaller screens and not so impressive specs

macbook pro i5
Apr 8, 2012, 01:21 AM
I do not hate Android, but I do not prefer it for the following the reasons

I don't like the look and feel of the Android GUI.
I do not trust Google not to invade my privacy. Indeed, they make money only through invading my privacy.
The Android ecosystem seems to me to be a little bit like the Wild West.
I find iOS to be the best alternative for me. This is not uninformed opinion, for I have been programming and working with IT since the days of punch cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming_in_the_punched_card_era).

What I do loathe is the constant posts in this forum about Android. This forum is entitled 'iPhone', and I expect to see interesting discussions focused on the iPhone here, not some wholly unrelated product. I get that some people here find iPhone/Android comparison threads valuable, but I don't. There has been far too much trolling, spamming, and guerrilla marketing for Android in this forum for my taste.

Thus, I once again call for a separate subforum for discussion about how iOS/iPhone compares to other OS's/phone's. I'm not saying that MR should ban Android threads, but that they deserve their own subforum. I'm posting this request in every Android thread I can be bothered to read.
I'm sorry this thread sounded like a repeat of other threads but I on this forum have seen far to many people diss android but when i ask them have they tried one they say no,what my point of this thread is to make some people open minded.And I whole heatedly agree there needs to be a sub forum for these types of discussions:)

Invincibilizer
Apr 8, 2012, 10:32 PM
people dont hate android, Android people hate the iPhone and their users, I don't know if its because they can't afford the iPhone or they hate the fact that it just works better than an Android plastic piece of **** without rooting/jailbreaking, smaller screens and not so impressive specs

Incorrect on many levels

iPhones are actually very affordable with 3GS free on contract in some areas
Prepaid Android phones have low specs and they are both likely made from cheap plastic, on the other hand companies like HTC and LG uses aluminum backing, and Motorola uses Kevlar backing.(material used in bulletproof vests)

and yes posting expletives most certainly proves that android people hate iPhones :)

0m3ga
Apr 8, 2012, 10:42 PM

And there are some of us that have a lot of Apple products, plus Android, plus Windows, plus WebOS. That makes me an Android person and according to you I'm poor and my Android products are crap. :rolleyes: And by the way, I am in the 24% tax bracket, so I am far from poor (and I don't pay my taxes in Peso's either amigo.)

chugg
Apr 8, 2012, 10:45 PM

This is why Android people hate iPhone users.

ap3604
Apr 8, 2012, 10:50 PM

Smug responses like yours are why iphone users hate android people on our iphone forum :rolleyes:

BlizzardBolt
Apr 8, 2012, 10:53 PM
Smug responses like yours are why iphone users hate android people on our iphone forum :rolleyes:

Offensively one sided responses like yours convey the perfect iSheep

ap3604
Apr 8, 2012, 11:08 PM
Offensively one sided responses like yours convey the perfect iSheep

Wasn't any different than what chugg said so I guess youre saying he's the perfect android sheep as well.

If buying the best smartphone for my needs and sticking to forum etiquette instead of being a troll te way the android sheep are doing here at macrumors makes me a iSheep then that's fine by me :D

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 11:16 PM
If buying the best smartphone for my needs and sticking to forum etiquette instead of being a troll te way the android sheep are doing here at macrumors makes me a iSheep then that's fine by me :D

Do you really believe this? You think you follow "forum etiquette" when you belittle those that don't make the same choice as you time and time again. The most vivid recent post I remember you proclaiming an Android user as a less than average IQ. THAT is forum etiquette? Sheesh, I honestly don't even know why I bother.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 8, 2012, 11:25 PM
I don't hate Android ....... But I do hate some of the Android users who will stop at nothing to try an prove that their device is superior to the iPhone.

ap3604
Apr 8, 2012, 11:25 PM
Do you really believe this? You think you follow "forum etiquette" when you belittle those that don't make the same choice as you time and time again. The most vivid recent post I remember you proclaiming an Android user as a less than average IQ. THAT is forum etiquette? Sheesh, I honestly don't even know why I bother.

The IQ comment was simply a question for the OP. I didn't state anything ;)

I don't mind if someone makes a different choice than the iPhone, but android people coming to an iPhone forum and flooding the forum with off-topic threads is against forum etiquette. It clutters up the place, makes it harder to find good iPhone information, and encourages trolls to come here.

There was that more polite for you?

chugg
Apr 8, 2012, 11:54 PM
Wasn't any different than what chugg said so I guess youre saying he's the perfect android sheep as well.

I love it. Because I don't blindly attack competitor products, I'm an Android sheep. Best part is, I don't even own an Android phone!

ap3604
Apr 9, 2012, 12:02 AM
I love it. Because I don't blindly attack competitor products, I'm an Android sheep. Best part is, I don't even own an Android phone!

Was I talking to you at all with that quote? :confused:

I was responding to what lordofthereef had said.

Focus man... focus ;)

annk
Apr 9, 2012, 04:11 AM
MOD NOTE: So that this thread doesn't get any more off-topic, I'd just like to remind everyone that it's fine to post about competing products in this forum. The OP posted a specific question for discussion.

The thread title is clear, so no one who doesn't want to discuss other platforms should have been mislead. If you don't want to discuss this particular topic, just don't click on the thread. ;) /MOD NOTE

As for the topic, I think the need to bash/be negative about an OS comes from one of two things: blind brand loyalty that usually involves a lack of experience with other brands, or genuine bad experiences with the brand. The first isn't constructive in any way, the second can be interesting to discuss.

Basically, the two systems are similar enough that you can do most of what you need on either, and different enough that people can have a strong preference for one or the other. That can make for some interesting discussions. "Hating" really isn't interesting for anyone.

apollo1444
Apr 9, 2012, 12:11 PM
And there are some of us that have a lot of Apple products, plus Android, plus Windows, plus WebOS. That makes me an Android person and according to you I'm poor and my Android products are crap. :rolleyes: And by the way, I am in the 24% tax bracket, so I am far from poor (and I don't pay my taxes in Peso's either amigo.)

I don't know what 24% tax bracket means I don't live in the USA I don't give a **** about your situation but that's why Android people hate the iPhone the majority at least.

other than larger screens what have they innovated? (which is NOT an innovation by the way)

Awfisch
Apr 9, 2012, 12:15 PM
I dislike Android for one reason. Fragmentation. People say its not that big of a deal, but it is actually a huge problem. Android 4.0 was supposed to fix this, but it was only adopted by a mere 3% (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/04/03/android_4_0_adoption_picking_up_steam) after months of being out. Some people don't mind this, but it makes for an incredibly inefficient platform. It is expensive and time consuming for developers to make new apps because they have to code for more than one version of the OS. Now you could say that iOS has more than one version of the OS, but since the creation of iOS, it has not had any major UI changes that affects apps, and the hardware has not changed at all. With Android phones, the hardware is always different, and the software has major differences with each version of Android. I personally have owned android phones, and I liked them. But I fear that Android will falter if it doesn't fix this android problem. Android 4.0 started an attempt to fix it, but may have made it worse seeing that 5.0 is due for release not too long from now, and 4.0 isn't even being used the the majority of consumers.

Due to experience in making software, I really think that Microsoft's phones have potential. Their Metric UI is simply stunning, so I think that if people give it a chance, Microsoft's phones may turn out to be gold.

mbell1975
Apr 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
I dislike Android for one reason. Fragmentation. People say its not that big of a deal, but it is actually a huge problem. Android 4.0 was supposed to fix this, but it was only adopted by a mere 3% (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/04/03/android_4_0_adoption_picking_up_steam) after months of being out. Some people don't mind this, but it makes for an incredibly inefficient platform. It is expensive and time consuming for developers to make new apps because they have to code for more than one version of the OS. Now you could say that iOS has more than one version of the OS, but since the creation of iOS, it has not had any major UI changes that affects apps, and the hardware has not changed at all. With Android phones, the hardware is always different, and the software has major differences with each version of Android. I personally have owned android phones, and I liked them. But I fear that Android will falter if it doesn't fix this android problem. Android 4.0 started an attempt to fix it, but may have made it worse seeing that 5.0 is due for release not too long from now, and 4.0 isn't even being used the the majority of consumers.

Due to experience in making software, I really think that Microsoft's phones have potential. Their Metric UI is simply stunning, so I think that if people give it a chance, Microsoft's phones may turn out to be gold.

Yep, pretty much. Here is the exact reason why devs are also getting sick of Android fragmentation and some have even quit. Instagram works flawlessly on iDevices, not so much on Android. Problems from day one thanks to all the different versions of the OS and hardware. But all of those 1443 Android phones running 6 different versions of the OS are great because you have a choice right?! :rolleyes:

http://webtrends.about.com/b/2012/04/06/attention-android-hipsters-theres-fragmentation-in-instagram-land.htm

cynics
Apr 9, 2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know what 24% tax bracket means I don't live in the USA I don't give a **** about your situation but that's why Android people hate the iPhone the majority at least.

other than larger screens what have they innovated? (which is NOT an innovation by the way)

Lol

The 3GS is 99 cents with contract new. If that's still out of your price range you can get a refurb for 1 cent.

4 new is less the 100 bucks.

lordofthereef
Apr 9, 2012, 02:04 PM
The IQ comment was simply a question for the OP. I didn't state anything ;)

I don't mind if someone makes a different choice than the iPhone, but android people coming to an iPhone forum and flooding the forum with off-topic threads is against forum etiquette. It clutters up the place, makes it harder to find good iPhone information, and encourages trolls to come here.

There was that more polite for you?

I could care less about how polite you are. I am just highlighting that you don't practice what you preach. If you want forum etiquette so badly, it would behoove you to practice proper etiquette yourself. Questioning a person's or group's IQ because he/they disagrees with you (hate Apple) doesn't seem to gel with the very definition of etiquette. But continue being rude man, it's all good with me (it really is), but don't expect those with opposing viewpoints to do any better.

lordofthereef
Apr 9, 2012, 02:23 PM

Widgets are a pretty new thing on mobile phones. People seem to like them too, so much that Apple has included a version of them in their own OS.

Copy and paste was also implemented in Android before iOS (note, I am not claiming android was the first mobile OS to implement copy and paste). Interestingly, android's copy and paste is a near carbon copy of how iOS handles copying and pasting. Another interesting fact is that Apple (it may have even been Jobs himself) stated we got copy and paste and it took so long because Apple waited to "do it right".

Let's talk about stores. One might say Apple's AppStore was an innovation of their own. I would argue against that. We had a store, called Installer (jailbreak), way before Apple implemented an Appstore. At the time, Apple seemed to think the future was in web apps, since they were focusing heavily on those.

But honestly, I don;t understand why something has to be completely newly innovated in every way, shape, and form, to be useful? I think both platforms have added various tidbits to the mobile OS world. In my eyes, it is just as impossible to say Android would be what it is today without iOS as it would be to say iOS would be what it is today without Android.

cynics
Apr 9, 2012, 02:45 PM

This is a public forum though. I'm a member of 2 forums that you have to qualify for to be able to use, this is not one of them (one is career related the other is firearms related).

There are plenty of members here that have owned android and didn't have a problem with it or own both. Usually some immature brat will call them a troll and they go to more mature forum.

lordofthereef
Apr 9, 2012, 02:50 PM
This is a public forum though. I'm a member of 2 forums that you have to qualify for to be able to use, this is not one of them (one is career related the other is firearms related).

There are plenty of members here that have owned android and didn't have a problem with it or own both. Usually some immature brat will call them a troll and they go to more mature forum.

If we want to get technical, the forum is called Mac rumors. Anything not directly related to rumors about Macintosh computers should be discussed elsewhere. This includes news about Macintosh computers because news is not a rumor. :p /removetonguefromcheek

Mad Mac Maniac
Apr 9, 2012, 02:51 PM
Honestly I see a lot more unbiased opinions here about android than I would have thought. Yes, you see some people unfairly bashing it, but for the most part I see people expressing the pro's and con's of each and typically they are able to come up with more pro's for iOS.

As for me personally, I've never used android (aside from a few times playing with friends phones). That's been the beauty of iOS to me, because I've never felt compelled to leave. That's good enough for me. But I can explain to you why I prefer staying on iOS than going to android

First, I like having the best phone and I like it being a simple, objective process. :) by that I mean the best on my respective platform. I would kill myself comparing the pro's and con's of the 5 "it" android phones at the moment and then once I finally picked my favorite I would be content for approximately 2-3 months before the next shiny android phone came out that I would want. Rinse and repeate every 2-3 months after that for 2 years. I love the yearly release cycle of the iPhone. I get it on opening week. No remorse, no questioning, no comparisons... then I have the best phone I could ever want for a full year. (I only upgrade every other year, but I'm ok with not having the best for the 2nd year)

Also, Updates. I like knowing that I am guarenteed updates for the entire life of my phone, plus I will get them the moment they come out. Yeah this is mostly a techy thing, because I'm always reading about the new features. But it would annoy me to buy the best android phone available, and the second I leave the store it already is on an outdated OS. Then I would get the update 5-6 months down the line, but by that point I'm lucky if the NEXT OS hasn't already been released. And then (generally speaking) that's it. You'll get about 1 upgrade on android (unless you root and deal with all those hassles which I prefer not to) and then you'll have outdated software for the next 1.6 years till you get a new phone.

I'm gonna hurry up and finish up this post so I'll just end with how I started. I don't want to leave iOS. Would I like android (or WP7) more? I dunno. Would I get more functionaility, features and more out of them? Maybe for certain things... But why? I like iOS. It's simple. I understand it. I like my upgrade cycle. I have my ecosystem. I love Apple design. Sure, I'm an iSheeple. Whatever you want to say, but I'm happy with it. Apple knows how to keep its customers happy and unless they royally screw something up, or someone comes out with some KILLER feature... I'm not going anywhere...

macbook pro i5
Apr 9, 2012, 04:56 PM

He gave quite a good example of what I mean didn't he?;)

j4zb4
Apr 9, 2012, 05:10 PM
Why I hate on Android...? These two posts should answer as to why
'I" really HATE Android...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14459389&postcount=22

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14058746&postcount=46

p.s.: A friend of mine uses two phones... He has been using a Nokia N8 as his main phone and a dumb phone as the secondary... Recently he bought a Galaxy Note... He rested his Nokia and used the Note along with his dumb phone... Today, just a month after he bought the samsung he uses the Nokia as his main phone again and the Note as the secondary... Today I asked him why does he carry the two giants...? He says just two words and I start laughing... "********* battery"...

jeffe
Apr 10, 2012, 12:19 AM
It's posts like that which I think cause so much android/ios disucssion on here

Funkymonk
Apr 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
Because they are idiots. Plain and simple. They have nothing else going on in their lives. Pathetic bunch really.

0m3ga
Apr 10, 2012, 01:16 AM

Amen brother.

richpjr
Apr 10, 2012, 01:22 AM
It's a phone. Spending the time to hate on one or fanatically defend one is pretty much a waste of time.

Jordan921
Apr 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
Because they are idiots. Plain and simple. They have nothing else going on in their lives. Pathetic bunch really.

Really? I just find it funny that this is an iPhone forum and android trolls come here to hate on people who have found the phone they like. So it's funny to me that android trolls can't get a life and stick to their own forums.

richpjr
Apr 10, 2012, 01:30 AM
Really? I just find it funny that this is an iPhone forum and android trolls come here to hate on people who have found the phone they like. So it's funny to me that android trolls can't get a life and stick to their own forums.

In their defense, a lot of Apple fanboi's do their own share of drive by trolling.

macrazee
Apr 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
I actually laugh at any one who spends their time justifying (to themselves) the purchase of something. Use what ever you like and let others do the same. It's just a phone. For the record I prefer iPhone, greatly, but have used Android based devices at different times and they are fine.

apollo1444
Apr 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
Widgets are a pretty new thing on mobile phones. People seem to like them too, so much that Apple has included a version of them in their own OS.

Copy and paste was also implemented in Android before iOS (note, I am not claiming android was the first mobile OS to implement copy and paste). Interestingly, android's copy and paste is a near carbon copy of how iOS handles copying and pasting. Another interesting fact is that Apple (it may have even been Jobs himself) stated we got copy and paste and it took so long because Apple waited to "do it right".

Let's talk about stores. One might say Apple's AppStore was an innovation of their own. I would argue against that. We had a store, called Installer (jailbreak), way before Apple implemented an Appstore. At the time, Apple seemed to think the future was in web apps, since they were focusing heavily on those.

But honestly, I don;t understand why something has to be completely newly innovated in every way, shape, and form, to be useful? I think both platforms have added various tidbits to the mobile OS world. In my eyes, it is just as impossible to say Android would be what it is today without iOS as it would be to say iOS would be what it is today without Android.

copy and paste? are you f...ing kidding me? is that an innovation? how the hell? I lol'd...

If Apple didn't invent the appstore which they didn't but they did creat the model that exists now that everyone followed, everyone has app stores now, consider this...

THEY INVENTED THE SMARTPHONE AS WE KNOW IT... period.

Android people hate apple and their users that is a known fact, everytime you see an android user you see him babbling to some other smartphone user on how great android is and how bad and crappy the iPhone is, just leave the damned iPhone alone... all is reflected by the companies who produce those products like Samsung who make ads that mock and laught at Apple fanbase and their products...

Android people are bitter just like the brands they buy and choose...

cynics
Apr 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
copy and paste? are you f...ing kidding me? is that an innovation? how the hell? I lol'd...

If Apple didn't invent the appstore which they didn't but they did creat the model that exists now that everyone followed, everyone has app stores now, consider this...

THEY INVENTED THE SMARTPHONE AS WE KNOW IT... period.

Android people hate apple and their users that is a known fact, everytime you see an android user you see him babbling to some other smartphone user on how great android is and how bad and crappy the iPhone is, just leave the damned iPhone alone... all is reflected by the companies who produce those products like Samsung who make ads that mock and laught at Apple fanbase and their products...

Android people are bitter just like the brands they buy and choose...

This is borderline psychotic. Every time you see an android user they are babbling about phones? OK, sure. Time for some new friends and different circles because yours (however probably imaginary) stink.

They invented the smartphone as we KNEW it. Just like smartphones prior to the iPhone invented them as we knew it.

Android users hate apple is a known fact? What are you on? I own and love both, I'm on my 4s right now. Love them equally for different reasons.

How dare Samsung mock the competition!! I saw Samsungs mac vs pc commercial the othe.....oh wait that was one of Apples smear campaigns.

So if android users are bitter people and they ditch android and goto the iPhone are they still bitter? Were they magically made better by a smartphone? You are referring to A LOT of people in this thread.

I think you need to get a grip with reality. It's a smartphone, nothing special, everyone has one.

McGiord
Apr 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
What OS implemented cut copy paste and undo?

JoeG4
Apr 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Windows had it, Mac OS had it, newtons had it.. shoot those functions have been givens on electronic devices for decades now man.

You can give Apple credit for creating the Newton and the iPhone. A lot of things on the iPhone evolved from.. things that already existed elsewhere. If you really want to reach deep you could give them credit for lots of those things via the Newton and some other R&D they did.

By far and large though, the a rectangular slate with few/no buttons was not a new thing brought to the world by Apple with the smartphone - in part because that's what the newton was lol.

You also can't really give them credit for inventing and bringing capacitive touch to the world - that would have come out anyway (as it did with the LG Prada). Perhaps it would have taken longer to catch on, but it would have happened.

The problem with resistive touch was that unless you had your stylus handy, or your hands were clean or something - it wasn't entirely reliable (you know this). That's why phones before the iPhone had accept/hang up buttons on the front, along with some other simple navigation buttons.

Even then, some didn't. The Sony P800, for example:
http://tamss60.tamoggemon.com/contents/2010/February/tha800/sony-ericsson-p800.jpg

I don't think Sony had a spy in Apple's HQ looking at the iPad prototype going EUREKA! I MUST HAVE SONY COME OUT WITH THIS FIRST!

(that, and the iPad was probably a skunkwork type project that had been going on since the 80s). That's ok by me, though I still think the tablet platform has a long way to go. We keep falling back on things like copy/paste and desktops and overlapping windows because they work, not because we're a bunch of lazy bums that can't come up with anything better.

mcman77
Apr 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
The thing I don't like about android is the fact that the browser logs everything you do just like google.

Other than that it is on par IMO...probably a little ahead in the functional department

onthecouchagain
Apr 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
There are many things to hate on both Android and iOS.

True story.

0m3ga
Apr 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
The thing I don't like about android is the fact that the browser logs everything you do just like google.

Other than that it is on par IMO...probably a little ahead in the functional department

To avoid this, make a link that changes http://www.google dot com to

Https://www.google dot com

Nothing gets logged when you go to the secure version of google. It is the only search page I use and I have checked to see if my history was saved anywhere on my Google page and it wasn't.

Lindenhurst
Apr 13, 2012, 07:50 AM

Does anyone here really hate someone who uses a competing smartphone? I sure hope not. Spirited debate is what it is all about.
And anyone can afford an iPhone now. It is absolutely nothing exclusive.

I've used both and they are equally different, each having it's strengths and weaknesses.

mcman77
Apr 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
To avoid this, make a link that changes http://www.google dot com to

Https://www.google dot com

Nothing gets logged when you go to the secure version of google. It is the only search page I use and I have checked to see if my history was saved anywhere on my Google page and it wasn't.

thanks, i'ved checked it out before but i'm not sure if the browser can be trusted. Is it open source?

From my understanding Android is not truely open source. There are many aspects of the OS that are closed down. Who know what google is doing in those closed down areas? They are a data mining company that use personal info to sell and advertise. Makes sense to me, just not my liking.

rjohnstone
Apr 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
thanks, i'ved checked it out before but i'm not sure if the browser can be trusted. Is it open source?

From my understanding Android is not truely open source. There are many aspects of the OS that are closed down. Who know what google is doing in those closed down areas? They are a data mining company that use personal info to sell and advertise. Makes sense to me, just not my liking.
The OS itself is open source. Anyone can take that source and compile their own version from it.
http://source.android.com/
Google's apps are not open source and are subject to licensing terms.
The browser is WebKit based just like Safari.

mcman77
Apr 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
The OS itself is open source. Anyone can take that source and compile their own version from it.
http://source.android.com/
Google's apps are not open source and are subject to licensing terms.
The browser is WebKit based just like Safari.

I've taken a good look around the android.com site. After searching google as well if android is really open source I wasn't sure what was the truth.

Thanks for clarifying it though. I did think that their apps weren't open source. But that also means that you have to run a gmail account (which they have the right to read) and it is pretty much mandatory to use their apps in order to get benefits of android.

The vital source can be compiled but not by me...maybe a huge manufacturer could take the expense (hopefully unbuntu) and then we'll see what the outcome it.

I prefer android cause of its functionality and being open source...but not their business ethics

rjohnstone
Apr 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
I've taken a good look around the android.com site. After searching google as well if android is really open source I wasn't sure what was the truth.

Thanks for clarifying it though. I did think that their apps weren't open source. But that also means that you have to run a gmail account (which they have the right to read) and it is pretty much mandatory to use their apps in order to get benefits of android.

The vital source can be compiled but not by me...maybe a huge manufacturer could take the expense (hopefully unbuntu) and then we'll see what the outcome it.

I prefer android cause of its functionality and being open source...but not their business ethics
Amazon already did this... the Kindle Fire is Android minus the Google apps.
It can run the same Android apps that any "Google Android " device can.
And since Amazon has its own Android appstore, it doesn't require a Google account to use them.
This is why there is no mention of Google anywhere in the product specs or literature.
Google's apps are only mandatory if you want to use their store and branding.

wgonzvega
Apr 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
We dont hate you, dont feel bad, we love you, we just, we just feel sorry for you guys...
Bazinga

cynics
Apr 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Aren't most if not all of us iPhone owners or at the very least recent converts to android from iPhone?

I'm just curious who these trolls are.

mcman77
Apr 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Amazon already did this... the Kindle Fire is Android minus the Google apps.
It can run the same Android apps that any "Google Android " device can.
And since Amazon has its own Android appstore, it doesn't require a Google account to use them.
This is why there is no mention of Google anywhere in the product specs or literature.
Google's apps are only mandatory if you want to use their store and branding.

oh ! thats why they get rooted fairly easily. Good to know bud ;) cheers for that.

It would be great if someone would root android with the equivalent apps but without Google mining your privacy.

I would like to see bada further developed too.

rjohnstone
Apr 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Aren't most if not all of us iPhone owners or at the very least recent converts to android from iPhone?

I'm just curious who these trolls are.
I gave up trying to figure out who they are or what their motives are.
I dig all three platforms, iOS, Android and WP7.

I guess some people still have some more growing up to do.

matttye
Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Android people hate apple and their users that is a known fact, everytime you see an android user you see him babbling to some other smartphone user on how great android is and how bad and crappy the iPhone is, just leave the damned iPhone alone...

My signature disproves your inane comments.

SurferMan
Apr 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
My signature disproves your inane comments.According to him my signature proves that I must hate myself?? ;) :D

matttye
Apr 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
According to him my signature proves that I must hate myself?? ;) :D

Obviously because all Android users are the same aren't they! Because of our choice of mobile OS, we automatically all have the same opinion. Undeniable logic right there.

/s

:p

BlizzardBolt
Aug 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
Android 4.1 Jellybean blows iOS6 out of the water.

iOS 4.3.5 was great when I first experienced it but iOS6 is about to be released, nothing much has changed where as being on Gingerbread is embarassing, ICS updating to JB will be amazing.

If an iPhone ran Android Jellybean, I might look in to that!

dkersten
Aug 11, 2012, 11:24 PM
Because most people are subconscious about their decisions, even on something so unimportant as a phone purchase so they bash Android (or vice versa) to justify their purchase to themselves. But if you really think about it, its really moronic and I can't believe some people take a mobile phone platform so personal.

VulchR
Aug 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Android 4.1 Jellybean blows iOS6 out of the water....

:rolleyes:

This is why I find some Android supporters (as opposed to the OS itself) annoying - iOS is not yet released, nor is the next iteration of the iPhone, but somebody took it upon themselves to reactivate this old thread and make a rather groundless statement. Perhaps JB will be better than iOS6, perhaps not - we won't be able to tell until iOS6 is released. We'll see.

blackhand1001
Aug 12, 2012, 01:10 PM

If you can get the nexus get that. The touchwiz in ICS on the s2 is kind of bad. They should have gave it the s3s touchwiz. Jellybean on the nexus is amazing too.

----------

This is why I find some Android supporters (as opposed to the OS itself) annoying - iOS is not yet released, nor is the next iteration of the iPhone, but somebody took it upon themselves to reactivate this old thread and make a rather groundless statement. Perhaps JB will be better than iOS6, perhaps not - we won't be able to tell until iOS6 is released. We'll see.

People have iOS6 installed already. All apple is doing now is bug fixes. The feature list is already finished. There are things that even froyo had that iOS has not caught up on. Take for example that the maps, gmail, YouTube, and other apps are constantly updated separately from the OS. So is chrome. They can improve the engine all the time as it is not part of the main OS. People on old devices that don't support ICS can still have the latest maps update and YouTube. Theres also the choice of true third party browsers, third party keyboards and even launchers. You can do all of that without even rooting. Because you don't need to root there's a market for third party keyboards. On iOS you would have to be jail broken and that limits the desire for developers to make these keyboards as the market of people is much smaller. The same goes for apps like custom launchers and emulators. There are hundreds of those on android. Its also easier to make new launchers and keyboards as the source code of the stock one is open source so you can use that as a starting point. Their are lots of things you can't do on iOS that you can in android.

DarwinOSX
Aug 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
I don't find iOS users to be remotely as "hating" on Android as the reverse. Read the Android forums and it's an Apple hate fest you wouldn't believe. It's hard to take seriously because there are a lot of obviously immature teenagers posting such stuff who don't know anything about iOS. Most iOS users just don't seem to care much about Android one way or the other. They are happy and satisfied with what they have. I can only assume that many Android users are insecure of their decision to use Android.

----------

The LG Prada as precursor to the iPhone has been disproven many times. So has Samsungs claim that Apple is trying to patent rectangles as even a cursory look at the trial documents show.

Windows had it, Mac OS had it, newtons had it.. shoot those functions have been givens on electronic devices for decades now man.

You can give Apple credit for creating the Newton and the iPhone. A lot of things on the iPhone evolved from.. things that already existed elsewhere. If you really want to reach deep you could give them credit for lots of those things via the Newton and some other R&D they did.

By far and large though, the a rectangular slate with few/no buttons was not a new thing brought to the world by Apple with the smartphone - in part because that's what the newton was lol.

You also can't really give them credit for inventing and bringing capacitive touch to the world - that would have come out anyway (as it did with the LG Prada). Perhaps it would have taken longer to catch on, but it would have happened.

The problem with resistive touch was that unless you had your stylus handy, or your hands were clean or something - it wasn't entirely reliable (you know this). That's why phones before the iPhone had accept/hang up buttons on the front, along with some other simple navigation buttons.

Even then, some didn't. The Sony P800, for example:
http://tamss60.tamoggemon.com/contents/2010/February/tha800/sony-ericsson-p800.jpg

I don't think Sony had a spy in Apple's HQ looking at the iPad prototype going EUREKA! I MUST HAVE SONY COME OUT WITH THIS FIRST!

(that, and the iPad was probably a skunkwork type project that had been going on since the 80s). That's ok by me, though I still think the tablet platform has a long way to go. We keep falling back on things like copy/paste and desktops and overlapping windows because they work, not because we're a bunch of lazy bums that can't come up with anything better.

Rennir
Aug 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
I don't find iOS users to be remotely as "hating" on Android as the reverse. Read the Android forums and it's an Apple hate fest you wouldn't believe. It's hard to take seriously because there are a lot of obviously immature teenagers posting such stuff who don't know anything about iOS. Most iOS users just don't seem to care much about Android one way or the other. They are happy and satisfied with what they have. I can only assume that many Android users are insecure of their decision to use Android.

That's interesting because multiple MR users have noted that people rarely talk about the iPhone on Android forums; instead all the "Android trolls" go to Apple sites such as MR to display their insecurities.

And to be fair, I think a lot of iOS users believe Android was copied so their hate is pretty vehement. Look at any thread that mentions Samsung/Android/Google and I'd say within the first page, someone will bring up copying/quality/lag, and most of those threads go to hundreds of posts due to the arguments that result due to the initial claims.

Of course, it goes both ways, but because this is an Apple oriented site, I haven't seen as much Apple hate :p

DarwinOSX
Aug 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
No they don't. They have betas minus hardware specific and other features.
As to map upgrades Apple wrote the front end. The back end is continually updated automatically.
Ther have been third party browsers on iOS for some time. You can make one default by jail breaking.
Launchers etc are an excuse for a poor interface loaded with bloat ware.
Very few iOS users need or care about another keyboard unlike Android where many stock keyboards are awful including the S 3. But I wouldn't mind having the option.

If you can get the nexus get that. The touchwiz in ICS on the s2 is kind of bad. They should have gave it the s3s touchwiz. Jellybean on the nexus is amazing too.

----------

People have iOS6 installed already. All apple is doing now is bug fixes. The feature list is already finished. There are things that even froyo had that iOS has not caught up on. Take for example that the maps, gmail, YouTube, and other apps are constantly updated separately from the OS. So is chrome. They can improve the engine all the time as it is not part of the main OS. People on old devices that don't support ICS can still have the latest maps update and YouTube. Theres also the choice of true third party browsers, third party keyboards and even launchers. You can do all of that without even rooting. Because you don't need to root there's a market for third party keyboards. On iOS you would have to be jail broken and that limits the desire for developers to make these keyboards as the market of people is much smaller. The same goes for apps like custom launchers and emulators. There are hundreds of those on android. Its also easier to make new launchers and keyboards as the source code of the stock one is open source so you can use that as a starting point. Their are lots of things you can't do on iOS that you can in android.

irDigital0l
Aug 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
Because iOS isn't perfect.

KnightWRX
Aug 12, 2012, 08:54 PM
So has Samsungs claim that Apple is trying to patent rectangles as even a cursory look at the trial documents show.

Surely you just. Apple did patent the rectangle :

http://www.google.com/patents/USD504889

Unless my eyes deceive me and that's a circle ?

Stuntman06
Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 AM

There are haters for both sides and there are some non-hateful discussions for both sides on both forums. On the Android forums there are people who ask about iOS and BlackBerry and others and do get meaningful responses and discussions without the hate. There are also people to go there to bash Android as well. Don't think that users and fans of one OS is any better behaved than any other.

JoeG4
Aug 13, 2012, 05:52 AM

I think things seem more offensive and hateful/hurtful when you're the one feeling offended - what may seem like comments of satisfaction with what you have to you, may be "Look at that idiot iPhone user, I'm much happier with my Nexus!" to someone else.

Somehow, if you sit in the middle you might find comments from both sides offensive - I usually find the iPhone ones elitist, and the Android ones immature. We're not the ones duking it out in court, Apple and Samsung/Google/MS/whatever are. It is kinda fun to point things out but I also think Apple has the most to gain from the litigation (whether you find that a good thing or not is up to you).

I feel like I'm saying a lot of nothing here, lol :D

VulchR
Aug 13, 2012, 05:53 AM
People have iOS6 installed already. All apple is doing now is bug fixes. The feature list is already finished. There are things that even froyo had that iOS has not caught up on. ....

BLAH BLAH BLAH

.... Their are lots of things you can't do on iOS that you can in android.

iOS is in Beta, and being tested on old models of iPhones. Feel free to jump to conclusions, but you are basing any comparisons on incomplete information. As I said, we'll see (and no doubt be unable to come to any agreement about which OS is best given that is a subjective judgment).

iMacFarlane
Aug 13, 2012, 07:47 AM
My son has an Android. The screen is big and bright, looks nice. The OS is terrible, so counter-intuitive. The other day I missed a call because I didn't know I had to slide the answer button on the screen in order to do so. And those little touch buttons that light up? It's just not nice.

I don't hate Android, but I do love iOS. Still rockin' the 3GS, looking forward to upgrade after 'the New iPhone' comes out.

cynics
Aug 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
My son has an Android. The screen is big and bright, looks nice. The OS is terrible, so counter-intuitive. The other day I missed a call because I didn't know I had to slide the answer button on the screen in order to do so. And those little touch buttons that light up? It's just not nice.

I don't hate Android, but I do love iOS. Still rockin' the 3GS, looking forward to upgrade after 'the New iPhone' comes out.

When someone calls a locked iPhone you have to slide to answer. I don't find it that counter intuitive at all, more of a industry standard really.

alex2792
Aug 13, 2012, 08:12 AM

Yeah the whole slide to answer concept is far too advanced. I mean you would need at least a dual PHD in computer science to figure that one out!

daveathall
Aug 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
My son has an Android. The screen is big and bright, looks nice. The OS is terrible, so counter-intuitive. The other day I missed a call because I didn't know I had to slide the answer button on the screen in order to do so.

It might be better next time to have them call you on your own phone rather than your son's:rolleyes:

iMacFarlane
Aug 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
It might be better next time to have them call you on your own phone rather than your son's:rolleyes:

Yeah, that was a crazy moment. He was working in the yard, and his hands were wet and dirty. His phone was on the picnic table and started ringing. I told him I'd answer for him, and after two rings and multiple attempts to answer, I was amazed that I didn't know how to answer a phone! Later he told me I had to slide the big red button, but all I could think was, "How the #@%$ was I supposed to know that?

I much prefer iPhone's simplicity in design. Countless times I've wondered how to do something, then I try something, and it works!

Mac.World
Aug 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah, that was a crazy moment. He was working in the yard, and his hands were wet and dirty. His phone was on the picnic table and started ringing. I told him I'd answer for him, and after two rings and multiple attempts to answer, I was amazed that I didn't know how to answer a phone! Later he told me I had to slide the big red button, but all I could think was, "How the #@%$ was I supposed to know that?

I much prefer iPhone's simplicity in design. Countless times I've wondered how to do something, then I try something, and it works!

I'm guessing if you owned an iphone you would never get passed the lock screen. ;)

maril1111
Aug 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Because iOS isn't perfect.

haha.... thanx i needed a good laugh neither is android or any other operating system, however android might be perfect for your uses and ios for mine.

iMacFarlane
Aug 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm guessing if you owned an iphone you would never get passed the lock screen. ;)

May I please direct your attention to the text in the lower section of this screen? The Apple engineers even made it highlight with motion to get the users attention.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/5-blog-pics/iphone-set-lock-screen-wallpaper-0.png

boronathan
Aug 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
Android pre ics was horrible. Random reboots, glitches, poor scrolling, poor performance, horrible task management etc.

With ics , Google took a step in the correct direction but did not solve all the problems. Still had some poor performance on my galaxy nexus and on my quad core tfp.

With jellybean Google has taken a huge step in android. It is just as smooth as ios. The difference between ics and jellybean is night and day, so you can imagine how much different it is from gb and froyo.

So why do ppl hate on Android? Because it sucked and as per the usual many ppl were in denial about how bad it sucked. But there really is no reason to hate on it now other then fragmentation and not as many apps.

Performance wise android is right up there with ios now that jellybean is out

Jessica Lares
Aug 13, 2012, 09:32 AM

LOL, you're not alone! I'm ALWAYS missing calls on my Skyrocket because I always mess up trying to answer the stupid call. I can't wait to dump it for another iPhone for that very reason.

Wrathwitch
Aug 13, 2012, 09:46 AM

I really feel your pain on the PvZ, it's my fave game on iPhone, and now with GS3, it isn't even supported in my Country, let alone device!!! (Canada)

Maybe for the same reasons people irrationally "hate on" iOS (and Apple products in general).

Quite simply to answer the OP's question.

People love to hate. Hating and arguing seems to come instinctively to humanity. If you are having a bad day and can't kick the **** out of the source, you anonymously go on a forum or video game and crap on other people.

Hell, even though I like to consider myself a logical person sometimes I even come on here, and read something I consider particularly stupid and then spew forth some venom on the post. Makes me feel superior for a moment I guess. LOL! I got caught with my foot in my mouth on one post, which was rather embarrassing but in a way, nicely humbling.

Something to consider about humanity is that we are the only species that is stupid enough to s*** where we eat. Dumb enough to start destroying our planet and then the first to go screaming in panic when we realize things are reaching dangerous levels...

go figure.

Mac.World
Aug 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
May I please direct your attention to the text in the lower section of this screen? The Apple engineers even made it highlight with motion to get the users attention.

I was joking. But it does say something to the level Apple will go to show how stupid they think the customer is. :D again, I joke.

iMacFarlane
Aug 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
I was joking. But it does say something to the level Apple will go to show how stupid they think the customer is. :D again, I joke.

I know, I'm sorry if I came across as defensive or serious. I was smiling while I was typing the reply. Words alone don't convey true human communication, sometimes.

Cheers! :)

irDigital0l
Aug 13, 2012, 10:52 AM
haha.... thanx i needed a good laugh neither is android or any other operating system, however android might be perfect for your uses and ios for mine.

It's funny that you said that, I'm actually typing this reply from my iPhone.

This is just like why some Xbox fanboys complain about the ps3. It's because they know the Xbox isn't perfect. Maybe they want a game that only the ps3 has so in other to make themselves feel better, they complain about the ps3.

Mac.World
Aug 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
I know, I'm sorry if I came across as defensive or serious. I was smiling while I was typing the reply. Words alone don't convey true human communication, sometimes.

Cheers! :)

Yeah, it is difficult. That is why I have found a bunch of different emoticons I can use to better convey my thoughts in a forum.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif

Calidude
Aug 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
People hate iOS much more than they hate Android.

Diseal3
Aug 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
I hope now with ICS and JB developer's would improve on their apps and work with the new OS features. Battery life is the only other problem I had with ICS and my Galaxy Nexus, however I hear JB really fixed that so I may go back to android come the next Nexus device.

Jagardn
Aug 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
I hate iOS much more than I hate Android.

Fixed that for you.

Aug 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
people are scared of what they do not understand

Mac.World
Aug 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
People hate iOS much more than they hate Android.

Yeah, but those same people hate Hillary Clinton even more. She's a real bitch, while Apple is just bitchy about letting you use iOS. :D

Ddyracer
Aug 13, 2012, 06:16 PM

And/or they dislike change. Also could be brand loyalty, which could drive them to not like the OS because they may not have a liking for Google.

Technarchy
Aug 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
And/or they dislike change.

I like change just fine.

When I changed from the Asus Transformer to iPad, it was great.

When I changed to the iPhone after 3 years of slogging it with Android, it was even better...

Ddyracer
Aug 13, 2012, 09:26 PM
I like change just fine.

When I changed to the iPhone after 3 years of slogging it with Android, it was even better...

That's cool. The people who don't like change probably won't admit it.

Rennir
Aug 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
I like change just fine.

Ah, but the question is, once you're completely comfortable in your environment, what's the likelihood that you'd be willing to change for the possibility that you would be even more satisfied?

Change is obviously welcome when people are in a bad condition.

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 03:04 AM
That's not the overall answer. Sure, some people are just...weird and irrational and hate something just because its different, but many people know what they don't like and that's fine. It doesn't mean they're being irrational. What works for iPhone users doesn't work for me and vice versa.

----------

Ah, but the question is, once you're completely comfortable in your environment, what's the likelihood that you'd be willing to change for the possibility that you would be even more satisfied?
Depends on your IQ.

----------

And/or they dislike change. Also could be brand loyalty, which could drive them to not like the OS because they may not have a liking for Google.
Disliking change is fine...if the change is bad.

Brand loyalty is irrational.

----------

Fixed that for you.
I do prefer Android right now, yes. Hating an operating system is just silly. Only people deserve hate.

KnightWRX
Aug 14, 2012, 04:04 AM
Android pre ics was horrible. Random reboots, glitches, poor scrolling, poor performance, horrible task management etc.

Sounds like my iPhone. Safari crashes, random spinning circles, don't get me started on the horrible task manager that doesn't tell you what is running at all and the sometimes abnormal frame rates in games while no other app is opened (validated with the afformentionned piss poor task manager).

No platform is perfect. Don't hyperbole to make it sound "horrible". A lot of people were very satisfied with Froyo, Gingerbread and even others before it. Look at iOS 2, iOS 3 and compare them to what we have today in iOS 5. It will also look horrible.

twosee
Aug 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
I don't find iOS users to be remotely as "hating" on Android as the reverse. Read the Android forums and it's an Apple hate fest you wouldn't believe. It's hard to take seriously because there are a lot of obviously immature teenagers posting such stuff who don't know anything about iOS. Most iOS users just don't seem to care much about Android one way or the other. They are happy and satisfied with what they have. I can only assume that many Android users are insecure of their decision to use Android..

I agree. It's funny how iOS users are usually labeled as snobby, entitled know-it-alls who hate anything non-Apple. Yet as you also noted, I feel I cant go on any Apple site, or read any article related to a new Apple product without a barrage of Apple haters calling everyone "Fanboy" or "Sheep" or a number of other disparaging remarks. And calling on how their product is notably better. Go on an Android forum, or a Samsung or Google forum and do a comparison on how many Apple "Fanboy's" are on there talking crap about their products. It's nowhere near as much as a MacRumors forum.

So for me, I don't hate Android... But I don't like people coming into our forum and unprovokingly (is that a word??) insulting us. You have great phones and a great OS, but the truth is we honestly don't care as much about your OS and your phones as you think we do.

cynics
Aug 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
I agree. It's funny how iOS users are usually labeled as snobby, entitled know-it-alls who hate anything non-Apple. Yet as you also noted, I feel I cant go on any Apple site, or read any article related to a new Apple product without a barrage of Apple haters calling everyone "Fanboy" or "Sheep" or a number of other disparaging remarks. And calling on how their product is notably better. Go on an Android forum, or a Samsung or Google forum and do a comparison on how many Apple "Fanboy's" are on there talking crap about their products. It's nowhere near as much as a MacRumors forum.

So for me, I don't hate Android... But I don't like people coming into our forum and unprovokingly (is that a word??) insulting us. You have great phones and a great OS, but the truth is we honestly don't care as much about your OS and your phones as you think we do.

I think you are confused.

The Android owners here are usually Mac owners or iPhone owners too, like myself. Now look at who starts the hate threads to troll an argument, iOS users. Then the Android people argue back. I mean come on, this is a thread asking why the people here hate on Android so much.

Don't worry though I'm confused too. You said we don't care about their OS and phones in the "Alternative to iOS and iOS devices" section of Macrumors? I'd think if people really didn't care about an OS or a phone then there wouldn't be this section.....

Stuntman06
Aug 14, 2012, 05:05 PM

The slide to answer the same on practically all touch screen phones. On my Android phones and my old Nokia Symbian phone, there are indicators that tell you to slide to answer as well.

Since you are an iPhone user, you are obviously more used to an iPhone than an Android phone. As an Android user, I had similar difficulties the times I had to use an iPhone. Both have some differences and familiarity with one device will make another device a little unfamiliar. Android and iOS devices have enough differences that once you get used to one, you expect things to work a certain way. When you use a different device, it does things differently.

A classic example is how you delete something from a list. On Android, many of the functions other than selecting or lauching something is done by tapping on the object and holding your finger there for a second. Then a menu pops up. On Android to delete an object, I would long tap the object to bring up the menu and then select delete on the menu. On iOS, you swipe the object horizontally. I could not for the life of me figure it out. I kept long tapping on it. Finally, someone familiar with iPhones and iOS told me to swipe left. I did than and then the delete button appears. I then press the delete button to delete the object.

Like, how am I supposed to know that I have to swipe the object horizontally to get the delete button? There was absolutely no indication of how to do this at all. That seems totally unintuitive for me. When deleting icons, the process is completely different.

boronathan
Aug 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Sounds like my iPhone. Safari crashes, random spinning circles, don't get me started on the horrible task manager that doesn't tell you what is running at all and the sometimes abnormal frame rates in games while no other app is opened (validated with the afformentionned piss poor task manager).

No platform is perfect. Don't hyperbole to make it sound "horrible". A lot of people were very satisfied with Froyo, Gingerbread and even others before it. Look at iOS 2, iOS 3 and compare them to what we have today in iOS 5. It will also look horrible.

Of course ios2 is horrible compared to ios5. It's not hyperbole, it's a fact. How is that even a debate? How can anyone even deny it?

I must say, I don't understand why it has to be a "Oh yea?? Well iOS was horrible too!" kind of discussion. This has nothing to do with iOS. The question asked was why do people hate on android, and the reason is it was horrible before ICS.

A lot of people were satisfied with Froyo and GB, they were also satisfied with iOS2 and 3. Does that somehow make them not horrible when compared to the current iterations?

I know being in denial about the obvious is a popular thing here on macrumors, but you won't find me defending iOS2 as some great OS just because it's Apple. iOS2 was just as horrible if not worse then GB and Froyo!

KnightWRX
Aug 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
A lot of people were satisfied with Froyo and GB, they were also satisfied with iOS2 and 3. Does that somehow make them not horrible when compared to the current iterations?

"Horrible" is the hyperbole and you introduced it. Gingerbread was good, Froyo was good, iOS 2, iOS 3, iOS 4 were all good.

Both platforms have their ups and downs. There's people who hate on both, just got to learn to tune it out. Stick to the facts more, don't go down the road of petty "it's horrible prior to XX!". It wasn't. It was just fine.

Basically, I'm telling you not to be part of the problem.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
Because you're in an Apple forum full of rabid iOS fanboys who constantly feel the need to disrupt constructive conversations regarding alternative mobile operating systems in order to inflate their e-penises.

boronathan
Aug 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
"Horrible" is the hyperbole and you introduced it. Gingerbread was good, Froyo was good, iOS 2, iOS 3, iOS 4 were all good.

Both platforms have their ups and downs. There's people who hate on both, just got to learn to tune it out. Stick to the facts more, don't go down the road of petty "it's horrible prior to XX!". It wasn't. It was just fine.

Basically, I'm telling you not to be part of the problem.

I don't know if you've ever used an android phone but froyo was not good. At all. It was a glitchy slow inefficient mess. Google itself admitted these things when announcing the nexus and ics. I think people who are afraid to admit flaws in software are a far bigger part of the problem then those that recognize the positive advancement that both apple and google have made in improving their os's.

Gingerbread was not good either. In fact it may have been worse then froyo. The bionic when released had a major software update a month after its release that fixed a crapload of problems that simply should not have been present in a new os. Look up the changelog for that update it was around November 2011. Gb was horrible.

Ics was good. Leaps and bounds above froyo and gb. But i still had daily reboots and poor performance on my quad core transformer prime and my nexus.

Jellybean has fixed every problem that android has. I haven't had a reboot yet and I'm running a rom i compiled myself. It doesn't require any tweaks no customizations just vanilla jellybean. Have you used an android phone? Have you tried jellybean? On which device if you don't mind me asking?

So its a little disingenuous to ignore the inherent problems in these early versions of both ios and android. The denial needs to stop. Really it does. Ios and android have come a long way and compared to earlier versions i don't think calling them horrible is a stretch. But at the end of the day its an opinion. Not something I'm trying to pass off as fact.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 PM
I don't know if you've ever used an android phone but froyo was not good. At all. It was a glitchy slow inefficient mess. Google itself admitted these things when announcing the nexus and ics. I think people who are afraid to admit flaws in software are a far bigger part of the problem then those that recognize the positive advancement that both apple and google have made in improving their os's.

Gingerbread was not good either. In fact it may have been worse then froyo.

This is all in hindsight though, the issues present were much less clear at the time as it's all relative. I upgraded from Eclair to Froyo on my HTC Desire and there was nothing wrong with it...at the time.

Mac.World
Aug 15, 2012, 03:00 AM

I don't think you and I are using the same Macrumors Site. Nearly every single pro-android, pro-webos, pro-windows phone was a flame festival of i-hate-non-apple-users. I and many others begged for this sub forum for quite a while and we finally got it. I am very great full to the admin for allowing get it and as such if I see anti-apple remarks, I will ask the offender to please change what he or she wrote that was offensive. If they continue, I will report their violations, just as I will with anti-android vitriol. I think we can all be civil here. :D

I would like to maintain a level of order herd so that anyone does not feel abused, regardless of OS they use, but 99 percent of the posts will probably revolve around android or wp8.

Dr McKay
Aug 15, 2012, 04:31 AM

The problem here though, is that there is a whole host of Apple products, iPads, iPhones, iPods, Macs etc. Anyone could have any of those products and that may be the reason they're here. I joined because I'd owned an iPhone for a while, various iPod's and eventually an iPad. However I was on Windows because I find OS 10 not to my liking. But when I see people here spouting pure rubbish about Windows I feel compelled to correct them, or merely point out what a load of old tosh they're spouting. Often then I would get asked

"This is an Apple site! Why do you come here Windoze fanboy?!"

Or something along those lines, that person who feels compelled to correct someone about Android may well have a Mac or an iPad.

sentinelsx
Aug 15, 2012, 05:48 AM
Hate a bunch of 1s and 0s?

Ok.

Wrathwitch
Aug 15, 2012, 06:51 AM
Here's my 2 cents...

I think for the most part, iPhone fans/Mac fans tend to be enthusiastic about their products for a couple of reasons. One is that they do enjoy them and even I can say that using a Mac is MUCH better than Windows, regardless of whether it is Windows 7 or not. Much less hassle. Secondly, is that included in that brand loyalty is the hype that was driven by Steve Jobs and the advertizing that Apple has shown over the years. Their marketing is brilliant and it really DOES effect how people think, if you don't believe it. Think on this:

Marlboro cigarettes filter tipswere initially pink and were sold as a product for women (pink filters so lipstick wouldn't show on the filters). The product didn't take off as well as they had hoped so Marlboro hired a new advertiser and the direction they took the cigs was the way of the Marlboro Man, shortly after the campaign was released, the product started selling like wild fire. And is still known as one of the top selling products that cater to manly men.

This is how powerful advertising is.

Most geeks (myself included) tend to be very enthusiastic about tech in general. Steve Jobs ( I think he was bi-polar and manic depressive, but I do admire the hell out of his accomplishments in spite of that) has become idolized by a tonne of people and when he spoke, it wasn't in a subtle way. He made very clear his opinion of Android, basically claiming he would go "thermo nuclear" on them and spend every last dime of Apple to crush them. These kinds of statements make an impact on an already loyal customer base. He was also amazingly charasmatic, intense and convincing.

Most iOS users, do not scan both OS forums, they stick with what they are familiar with and where they feel at home. Therefore, many have never even touched Android OS devices. Some of those that have, may have gone with earlier Android OS versions, which were less than polished than iPhone. They come back and feed the trolls with food on how bad the OS is and combined with the mindset used from Steve Jobs and Apple, it snowballs.

Android now is just catching up to the fluidity and ease of use that iPhone has almost always had (closed system had helped with that). I for one have had bad experiences with early smart phones (can you say windows 6.5?) when I got my first iPhone (iP4) it was heads and shoulders above the windows phone and BB that I had. It is just after 2 years of owning one that I felt that based on personal research and Youtube videos that I believed that something different might be in order. So yes, iPhone or rather iOS had ease and pleasure of use going for it which also helped deliver product loyalty. People don't like to see their beliefs/brands challenged. (if this were never true, there would never be sports teams and sports fans).

So as a basic answer to why do people hate on Android:

1) Brand and company loyalty (including sharing SJ's beliefs)
2) Product that despite the hype DOES deliver, reinforced by great customer service.
3) They view Android as a threat to their preferred company/device.
4) Possible bad experiences in the past.
5) People gobble up advertising like fat kids eat cake they get hooked on the hype. (mob mentality in a gentle way).

Just my opinion though.

boronathan
Aug 15, 2012, 06:52 AM
This is all in hindsight though, the issues present were much less clear at the time as it's all relative. I upgraded from Eclair to Froyo on my HTC Desire and there was nothing wrong with it...at the time.

So you were okay with the reboots and poor performance? I wasn't and didn't need hindsight to come to that conclusion. I don't know i thought they were crap but maybe I'm just picky. I just expect a phone like the bionic with the specs it has to not perform poorly. The conclusion I drew was that it was a software problem and not hardware. Ymmv I suppose.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 15, 2012, 09:05 AM
So you were okay with the reboots and poor performance?

Wait...what? I didn't have reboots and performance was generally Ok. It was never as fluid as iOS was at the time but I was willing to compromise on that...

I had a number of phones around that time (HTC Desire, Nexus One etc) and never had problems like that. So what... you had one phone with either poor software implementation or a hardware flaw or something and you're willing to generalise that experience across dozens of different handsets?

The one thing that I have learned from the whole iOS/Android debate is that no matter how good the hardware specs, if the software isn't up to scratch then this will severely limit the experience. This is the reason why my Android device of choice will aways be Nexus - it's almost always the best software and the best user experience and they aren't plagued by the poor software and crapware of third party manufacturers.

VulchR
Aug 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Because you're in an Apple forum full of rabid iOS fanboys who constantly feel the need to disrupt constructive conversations regarding alternative mobile operating systems in order to inflate their e-penises.

There are Android forums in which you would be free from such disruptions and are no doubt full of rabid Android fans (bless). If you are going to discuss anything in MR, expect to see debate.

boronathan
Aug 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
Wait...what? I didn't have reboots and performance was generally Ok. It was never as fluid as iOS was at the time but I was willing to compromise on that...

I had a number of phones around that time (HTC Desire, Nexus One etc) and never had problems like that. So what... you had one phone with either poor software implementation or a hardware flaw or something and you're willing to generalise that experience across dozens of different handsets?

The one thing that I have learned from the whole iOS/Android debate is that no matter how good the hardware specs, if the software isn't up to scratch then this will severely limit the experience. This is the reason why my Android device of choice will aways be Nexus - it's almost always the best software and the best user experience and they aren't plagued by the poor software and crapware of third party manufacturers.

Consider yourself very lucky. Random reboots have plagued android and it's a well known issue with the software until jelly bean (at least for me with jb).

I agree that hardware stuffing is pointless which is why I bought up the bionic. Do you know how much hype that phone had? It was crazy. The phone was a complete POS and that's cuz gb sucked.

I'm extremely happy with my jellybean nexus and jellybean tprime now though :D

twosee
Aug 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
I think you are confused.

The Android owners here are usually Mac owners or iPhone owners too, like myself. Now look at who starts the hate threads to troll an argument, iOS users. Then the Android people argue back. I mean come on, this is a thread asking why the people here hate on Android so much.

Don't worry though I'm confused too. You said we don't care about their OS and phones in the "Alternative to iOS and iOS devices" section of Macrumors? I'd think if people really didn't care about an OS or a phone then there wouldn't be this section.....

I don't think you and I are using the same Macrumors Site. Nearly every single pro-android, pro-webos, pro-windows phone was a flame festival of i-hate-non-apple-users. I and many others begged for this sub forum for quite a while and we finally got it. I am very great full to the admin for allowing get it and as such if I see anti-apple remarks, I will ask the offender to please change what he or she wrote that was offensive. If they continue, I will report their violations, just as I will with anti-android vitriol. I think we can all be civil here. :D

Ha! First of all, Iíd like to apologize. I honestly wasnít aware this was an iOS Alternative forum. I just saw the post on the main discussions page and clicked on it. Iím still relatively new to the MacRumors forums. I wasnít trolling and wasnít trying to bash Android. I have absolutely nothing personal against them or any other platform/company. I use products from a variety of companies; Google, MS.. even Samsung.

I donít know how things are at the dedicated Android sites as I donít frequent them, but often times when Iím on an Apple favored site, or reading an article about some new upcoming Apple product, I see unprovoked insults and comments that have nothing to do with the product. Fanboy, Drinking the Kool Aid, trapped in the Reality Distortion Field, stuck in a prison, lemming, smug, elitist. All personal attacks. You see sites such as ihateapple.com, dedicated anti-apple facebook accounts, the ďWake-upĒ campaign, and Samsung's commercial portraying the apple user as a mindless cult-follower who cannot make a rational decision unless Apple tells him to. The attacks all seem to be personal, not product related.

Again, Iím not saying all Android users do it; itís only a few, as Iím sure you arenít implying that all Apple users are the same. But I will apologize again for stirring up this forum, I didnít realize what it was.

And BTW, itís comments like these that Iím referring to:

KnightWRX
Aug 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
So its a little disingenuous to ignore the inherent problems in these early versions of both ios and android. The denial needs to stop.

No one is in denial here. No one is claiming these OSes are perfect. Heck, both JB and iOS 5 and even iOS 6 aren't even close to perfect. There will be new versions that come along and fixe other issues in the future or introduce new features.

Again, just stop the hyperbole. Froyo was not horrible. Neither was iOS 3 or 2. At the time, they were pretty good releases with good feature sets, on both sides. There was room to improve, on both sides. There were bugs, as there are with every big software projects. These are very complex Operating Systems distributions with tons of user space applications.

Mac.World
Aug 15, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ha! First of all, Iíd like to apologize. I honestly wasnít aware this was an iOS Alternative forum. I just saw the post on the main discussions page and clicked on it. Iím still relatively new to the MacRumors forums. I wasnít trolling and wasnít trying to bash Android. I have absolutely nothing personal against them or any other platform/company. I use products from a variety of companies; Google, MS.. even Samsung.

I donít know how things are at the dedicated Android sites as I donít frequent them, but often times when Iím on an Apple favored site, or reading an article about some new upcoming Apple product, I see unprovoked insults and comments that have nothing to do with the product. Fanboy, Drinking the Kool Aid, trapped in the Reality Distortion Field, stuck in a prison, lemming, smug, elitist. All personal attacks. You see sites such as ihateapple.com, dedicated anti-apple facebook accounts, the ďWake-upĒ campaign, and Samsung's commercial portraying the apple user as a mindless cult-follower who cannot make a rational decision unless Apple tells him to. The attacks all seem to be personal, not product related.

Again, Iím not saying all Android users do it; itís only a few, as Iím sure you arenít implying that all Apple users are the same. But I will apologize again for stirring up this forum, I didnít realize what it was.

And BTW, itís comments like these that Iím referring to:
Twosee,
First off, welcome to the Macrumors alternate part of the forum. Please feel free to participate in any discussion here. Obviously it will be more non-Apple oriented, but everyone is welcome. And if you see comments like the one you quoted, just hit that little Yield or Warning looking symbol in the bottom left corner of the post to report the offender. Fandroid, isheep, koolaid type r marks are allowed in a general way, but if they are directed at a person in a personal assault kind of way, report it. If vulgar language is used, especially if directed at someone, report the offender.
I don't care if they are spouting anti-iOS or anti-android, I am too grateful to have this portion of the forum to lose it because some knucklehead wants to be spiteful.

Again, welcome. :D

boronathan
Aug 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
No one is in denial here. No one is claiming these OSes are perfect. Heck, both JB and iOS 5 and even iOS 6 aren't even close to perfect. There will be new versions that come along and fixe other issues in the future or introduce new features.

Again, just stop the hyperbole. Froyo was not horrible. Neither was iOS 3 or 2. At the time, they were pretty good releases with good feature sets, on both sides. There was room to improve, on both sides. There were bugs, as there are with every big software projects. These are very complex Operating Systems distributions with tons of user space applications.

As i said, it's my opinion. I'm not sure how you can make my opinion for me, or say that i should think the releases were good simply because you think so. They were horrible to me. Frustrating to use, full of bugs and not conducive to an enjoyable ux for me. Ymmv (which i also said).

I'm not speaking in hindsight either. When i used Froyo, gb, ios2 and 3 i had plenty of complaints. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I'm just not complacent, but again, in MY experience they were horrible.

I'm not expecting foolproof, failproof software. I am, however expecting to use my phone without it rebooting in my hands as I'm typing an email, or lagging to the point of unusability. all four of the above mentioned os's had issues like that.

Is jelly bean and ios5 perfection? No. I still find ios user unfriendly sometimes, and jellybean has some flaws, but as it stands both are leaps and bounds, night and day better then their previous iterations.

Imo.

Mac.World
Aug 15, 2012, 12:48 PM

I don't think it is fair to compare any version of a current os, to a previous version. However, Android is a bit different than iOS.
iOS simply evolves upon itself, maintaining the same look and feel to the original design, and just added and manipulating content to deliver the app familiar experience, regardless of what iDevice you pick up. Once you learn iOS, you can us. A 3gs,an iPad, ip4 or an iPod. There are minor differences in hardware and some features, but any of these items can be pick do up and used without a learning curve.

Starting with ICS, it appears that at least Samsung is now following this model. I expect Sony to do the same. Problem is, each manufacturer will have a unique setup for their software overlay and hardware layout.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
I don't like Android because it's:

1) Ugly and inconsistent in design
2) fragmented
3) lagging in touchscreen response (after 4 years!)
4) weaker developer support
5) requires too much work (opposed to the iPhone "just working")

I do like the Notifications, Chrome, customization, and wide range of devices, though.

daveathall
Aug 15, 2012, 02:05 PM

3) fragmented
4) lagging in touchscreen response (after 4 years!)
5) weaker developer support
6) requires too much work (opposed to the iPhone "just working")

I do like the Notifications, Chrome, customization, and wide range of devices, though.

Your number 4 suggests that you haven't really touched an up to date Android phone recently, because it simply isn't true. Where did number 2 go?

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
Your number 4 suggests that you haven't really touched an up to date Android phone recently, because it simply isn't true. Where did number 2 go?

"I wish I could say that Android 4.1 is on par with iOS on an iPhone 4S when it comes to its reaction to my finger's taps and swipes ó but iOS still takes the crown here." - review from the Verge. I saw a couple videos, and you can still tell the finger tracking just isn't as tight. And 2 was combined with 1, hah.

boronathan
Aug 15, 2012, 02:16 PM

2) fragmented

1) subjective, but yes if you think that then i understand why you wouldn't want to use it.
2) true
3) try jellybean, you'll be surprised. I was.
4) true
5) depends on what you mean. Android isn't as open a some works have you think, but you can do a lot with Android stock that you can't with ios. However, if you want deep customization you need to be rooted and unlocked, at which point you can do just a much with a jailbroken iPhone, imo.

daveathall
Aug 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
"I wish I could say that Android 4.1 is on par with iOS on an iPhone 4S when it comes to its reaction to my finger's taps and swipes — but iOS still takes the crown here." - review from the Verge. I saw a couple videos, and you can still tell the finger tracking just isn't as tight. And 2 was combined with 1, hah.

I have a Samsung SGS3, I had it a month before I sold my iPhone 4S. Android is easily on a par, I didnt need to read a review or watch videos to make my impression.

You watched a you tube video and read a couple of reviews and then typed what you didn't like.........Now that is funny.

----------

1) subjective, but yes if you think that then i understand why you wouldn't want to use it.
2) true
4) true
5) depends on what you mean. Android isn't as open a some works have you think, but you can do a lot with Android stock that you can't with ios. However, if you want deep customization you need to be rooted and unlocked, at which point you can do just a much with a jailbroken iPhone, imo.

I tend to agree with this balanced assessment, If one doesn't like the design one won't buy the product which is fair enough, on number 3, try ICS as well.

cynics
Aug 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
"I wish I could say that Android 4.1 is on par with iOS on an iPhone 4S when it comes to its reaction to my finger's taps and swipes ó but iOS still takes the crown here." - review from the Verge. I saw a couple videos, and you can still tell the finger tracking just isn't as tight. And 2 was combined with 1, hah.

I agree with you but IMO the multitasking makes up for it. If a web page can load in the background while I can continue to use tapatalk in the foreground (for example) then I'll take it over the now very minor delay UI. It's more function over form IMO.

iOS wont even load when you are touching and scrolling the screen when the browser is in the foreground. But the UI is as smooth as glass!

JupiterDoc
Aug 15, 2012, 02:31 PM

I like iTunes & I understand there is no Android equivelent. Although I heard you can move files from your computer to the Android. The OS on iPhone is frequetly updated whereas the Android you purchase stays the same. The Apps for the iPhone are obviously better as the Android experience suffers from fragmentation.

I aways had Apple products but everything I read is the only reason to go elsewhere is to potentiall save money at the expense of usefulness.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
2) true
4) true

1) isn't incredibly subjective. I dig a lot of android designs like Google Now, the Holo theme, and even the home screen. But 3rd party apps are often very ugly, some of the UI (usually deeper, like in Settings) is ugly as sin, and there's really not a direction to the UI. It just isn't that coherent. And I'm sure jellybean is more responsive than past iterations, but the 4S is just such a joy to touch that I can't imagine experiencing even the smallest of touchscreen lag.

To each his own, I was only responding to the thread topic.

matttye
Aug 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
1) isn't incredibly subjective. I dig a lot of android designs like Google Now, the Holo theme, and even the home screen. But 3rd party apps are often very ugly, some of the UI (usually deeper, like in Settings) is ugly as sin, and there's really not a direction to the UI. It just isn't that coherent. And I'm sure jellybean is more responsive than past iterations, but the 4S is just such a joy to touch that I can't imagine experiencing even the smallest of touchscreen lag.

Since ics a lot of apps use a similar layout and design. Even if they're not identical, they look similar.

Spotify, maps, groupon...three random apps with similar design principals.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Since ics a lot of apps use a similar layout and design. Even if they're not identical, they look similar.

Spotify, maps, groupon...three random apps with similar design principals.

Apps that abide by the Holo design language do, which is great. But Google has tied it's hands with Android's openness, and the fact is that there is a massive amount of poorly designed, ugly, dysfunctional, and even harmful apps in the Play Store.

matttye
Aug 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
Apps that abide by the Holo design language do, which is great. But Google has tied it's hands with Android's openness, and the fact is that there is a massive amount of poorly designed, ugly, dysfunctional, and even harmful apps in the Play Store.

There are poorly designed, ugly, dysfunctional apps on iOS too, although admittedly not as many :p

I prefer the open nature of Android to the closed nature of iOS even if it means going through a few lemons to find decent apps.

BFizzzle
Aug 15, 2012, 02:57 PM

lol it is subjective.. i dont see how you can think it is not. it is your opinion..

Jelly bean is just as smooth as my iphone 4s and ipad3. i was very surprised. I didnt see any lag..

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
lol it is subjective.. i dont see how you can think it is not. it is your opinion..

Jelly bean is just as smooth as my iphone 4s and ipad3. i was very surprised. I didnt see any lag..

I can show you apps that are objectively ugly and look nothing like the Holo guidelines. There are many design inconsistencies in the OS, just a fact.

twosee
Aug 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
Twosee,
First off, welcome to the Macrumors alternate part of the forum. Please feel free to participate in any discussion here. Obviously it will be more non-Apple oriented, but everyone is welcome. And if you see comments like the one you quoted, just hit that little Yield or Warning looking symbol in the bottom left corner of the post to report the offender. Fandroid, isheep, koolaid type r marks are allowed in a general way, but if they are directed at a person in a personal assault kind of way, report it. If vulgar language is used, especially if directed at someone, report the offender.
I don't care if they are spouting anti-iOS or anti-android, I am too grateful to have this portion of the forum to lose it because some knucklehead wants to be spiteful.

Again, welcome. :D

Thank you.

For the record, I find it very annoying when an Apple user spews ridiculous banter about Android or any other OS/Device/Company as well. Successful companies are so for a reason. I don't believe people in general are incapable of making a rational decision that is best for them. As far as reporting people, I choose not to because I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unless it personally offends me, which those comments actually don't (I don't agree with them, and don't like them, but they don't offend me). We're all big boys. If anything, I think it show's their ignorance and immaturity more than it does hurt anyone.

So, since I'm here, I'll add my 2Ę, Personally I prefer iOS to android for a couple of reasons.

1. I like the cohesiveness of iOS devices, something that appears to be lacking in Android. I have a MBP, iPad, iPhone and an AppleTV (along with an old 3g that my son has inherited to take photos, listen to music, watch a few videos and play a couple of games, and my wife's 4S). everything works well together with very minimal setup.

2. I like being able to get software updates as soon as they are released (unless of course you get the Google Nexus).

3. App selection and first choice. If someone puts out an app, iOS is usually first in line (Netflix, ArtRage, Infinity Blade, NoteShelf etc). wouldn't want to wait months to get it.

4. Mal-ware is virtually non existent.

5. Consistency. This might be a bad thing for some, but for me I appreciate improvements, not necessarily changes unless they are needed.

UKBeast
Aug 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
I do not like android because,

1. Fragmented

2. On ios i know how long my device will be supported and there is an outstanding company behind it, but for android you depend on the manufacturer.

3. Apple devices have longer lifetime in terms build quality and software, for example you can still install iOS6 to an old iphone 3gs but on android side you may have to upgrade your your phone at all.

4. Android is ugly designed, it is not consistent every time on every phone it is looking different.

5. I do not like android because i do not like google, since google have started pushing pressure on its users to sign up google plus stupidity to overcome Facebook i migrated from gmail to iCloud. Google is on the wrong way, it was good in the past when they were only doing search engine thing. And android is tied up with google and his cloned services from apple.

6. I do not like android because i do not believe in customization. I think customization in a deeper sense is a waste of time, at the end of the day your output is the same you just do not need to make shortcuts, change how the home screen looks, change the theme and so on. You are wasting your time to super customize the system to make it work like you want it to but it is a never ending story since there is always more and more. When you update your device then you have got re customize it, when you buy a new device then you have got to re customize it. Plus, with every phone you hold on your hand you expect to get the same personal user experience. But, with using my device efficiently with default settings for every upgrade and every new iphone or ipad i am getting the same efficiency.

7. Most android phones are coming in bad build plastic quality thus reducing the life time while iphone is solid, sustainable.

8. On android your decision mechanism is confused, because there are hundreds of variants of android os installed on hundreds of different phones and only a few of them is doing the job properly. There is only one iphone and one ipad they are super good so you know what you will get with it, with apple when i need to buy mobile device i do not need to search for reviews over internet and try demos from friends of mine to find the best one.

9. I do not want adroid because i am into apple eco system. I have got a macbook pro running mountain lion which is best os ever, I have got an apple tv, an ipad so there are all %100 compatible.

10. I like ios over android because from bottom to top design is consistent with the device. For example, the geometry, ratio, colors they use on ios is relevant to the design of the hardware. On android, the os and device are not looking they are designed for each other.

To sum up,

Apple is consistent, a piece of art, durable, longer life time, stable, efficient, very easy like idiot proof, visually perfect, giving the maximum with minimum, future proof, elegant.

Stuntman06
Aug 15, 2012, 03:35 PM

The ugliness is subjective. The inconsistency is due to greater freedom that Android developers have. More on that later.

2) fragmented

That is a by product of the variety available to consumers. I wanted a physical keyboard when I first was in the market for a smartphone. Apple did not offer anything with this feature. There was a Symbian and then later an Android phone with this feature. Had Apple come up with a model with a physical keyboard, I would probably have bought an iPhone. Another friend wanted a bigger screen and Apple at the time did not have a model with a bigger screen. Had Apple come up with a model with a bigger screen at the time, he might have gotten an iPhone as well.

I do feed that in a side by side comparison, the iPhone's response is much smoother than my Android phone. When actually using it on its own, I have no complaints. Perhaps those people who are more used to the iPhone's responsiveness may not like Android as much. I only did the comparison with an older phone running Gingerbread. Haven't had a chance to try Jellybean yet.

Agree, but Android is catching up.

Totally disagree about this. Moving contacts from an old phone to my wife's previous Android phone was very simple. Just stick in the SIMM card. Moving contacts from my wife's previous Android phone to her current iPhone is such a pain. The iPhone won't recognise a standard .vcf file when I exported her hold contacts from her old phone. I spent hours trying to figure this out. Finally, I had to import that .vcf file into a Gmail account and then export it back out to a .vcf file with the option to make it compatible with Apple. Why would Apple who claims to make things that just work make things so difficult for me? Moving contacts to a new phone should be a very simple process and not need some third party email system to make the conversion.

Moving a ring tone from another phone to an iPhone is an even bigger pain. When I did it from my old Nokia to an Android phone, it was as simple as copying the sound file over. When moving it to an iPhone, I had to change settings in iTunes, so an import and then after the import, I had to rename the file and then I could put it on the iPhone. It took me several hours searching on the internet, these forums, downloading apps (which didn't work) and tinkering before out how to do that.

I do agree that you generally would need to spend some effort in configuring and organising your home screens even if do not use any advance features like widgets. You can probably just start using it right away, but at some point, you would want to move stuff around to organise your most commonly used items on your centre home screen. The iPhone just has the dock at the bottom and the rest of the home screen is just an app tray. You probably won't tinker with the organisation of the iPhone icons mainly because there is little to do other than move it from here to there. With Android, I find that I remove icons of seldom use apps and only put those apps and widgets I use most often. The others I would take the extra step to go to the app tray.

There is some inconsistency, but it is due to the extra freedom that developers have in designing the UI. Apps can be very different and sometimes there are benefits to having some freedom to design the UI. Obviously, poor developers will do a worse job than better ones. I do see the value in some consistency. Android does have some guildelines and facilities to make things consisten. For instance, the back button and menu button is always in the same place.

There is some inconsistency with iOS apps. The one that I notice most of all is the inconsistent placement of the back button. It jumps around from app to app and even within an app. I sometimes have difficulty finding the back button as it is not always in the same space and is not always labled the same.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
The ugliness is subjective. The inconsistency is due to greater freedom that Android developers have. More on that later.

That is a by product of the variety available to consumers. I wanted a physical keyboard when I first was in the market for a smartphone. Apple did not offer anything with this feature. There was a Symbian and then later an Android phone with this feature. Had Apple come up with a model with a physical keyboard, I would probably have bought an iPhone. Another friend wanted a bigger screen and Apple at the time did not have a model with a bigger screen. Had Apple come up with a model with a bigger screen at the time, he might have gotten an iPhone as well.

I do feed that in a side by side comparison, the iPhone's response is much smoother than my Android phone. When actually using it on its own, I have no complaints. Perhaps those people who are more used to the iPhone's responsiveness may not like Android as much. I only did the comparison with an older phone running Gingerbread. Haven't had a chance to try Jellybean yet.

Agree, but Android is catching up.

Totally disagree about this. Moving contacts from an old phone to my wife's previous Android phone was very simple. Just stick in the SIMM card. Moving contacts from my wife's previous Android phone to her current iPhone is such a pain. The iPhone won't recognise a standard .vcf file when I exported her hold contacts from her old phone. I spent hours trying to figure this out. Finally, I had to import that .vcf file into a Gmail account and then export it back out to a .vcf file with the option to make it compatible with Apple. Why would Apple who claims to make things that just work make things so difficult for me? Moving contacts to a new phone should be a very simple process and not need some third party email system to make the conversion.

Moving a ring tone from another phone to an iPhone is an even bigger pain. When I did it from my old Nokia to an Android phone, it was as simple as copying the sound file over. When moving it to an iPhone, I had to change settings in iTunes, so an import and then after the import, I had to rename the file and then I could put it on the iPhone. It took me several hours searching on the internet, these forums, downloading apps (which didn't work) and tinkering before out how to do that.

I do agree that you generally would need to spend some effort in configuring and organising your home screens even if do not use any advance features like widgets. You can probably just start using it right away, but at some point, you would want to move stuff around to organise your most commonly used items on your centre home screen. The iPhone just has the dock at the bottom and the rest of the home screen is just an app tray. You probably won't tinker with the organisation of the iPhone icons mainly because there is little to do other than move it from here to there. With Android, I find that I remove icons of seldom use apps and only put those apps and widgets I use most often. The others I would take the extra step to go to the app tray.

There is some inconsistency, but it is due to the extra freedom that developers have in designing the UI. Apps can be very different and sometimes there are benefits to having some freedom to design the UI. Obviously, poor developers will do a worse job than better ones. I do see the value in some consistency. Android does have some guildelines and facilities to make things consisten. For instance, the back button and menu button is always in the same place.

There is some inconsistency with iOS apps. The one that I notice most of all is the inconsistent placement of the back button. It jumps around from app to app and even within an app. I sometimes have difficulty finding the back button as it is not always in the same space and is not always labled the same.

iOS is somewhat inconsistent, but to a much, much smaller degree. And no, Android is fragmented because its openness has left it in the hands of lazy OEMs and despotic carriers, it has nothing to do with the form factors of the devices.

BFizzzle
Aug 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
I can show you apps that are objectively ugly and look nothing like the Holo guidelines. There are many design inconsistencies in the OS, just a fact.

you can show me them, but is still subjective to you and your definition of ugly.
I agree, a lot of stuff isnt aesthetically appeasing to me, but that doesn't mean its a fact.

you honestly cant see how that its subjective?

KnightWRX
Aug 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
As i said, it's my opinion.

Maybe you're expressing it in a way that makes it sound like an hyperbole and that is inductive of flaming and all around bad forum conduct ? Just an opinion...

I'm not speaking in hindsight either. When i used Froyo, gb, ios2 and 3 i had plenty of complaints. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I'm just not complacent, but again, in MY experience they were horrible.

I have plenty of complaints with iOS 5. Had plenty with iOS 4. Still have with the unreleased iOS 6. I have plenty of complaints about Jelly Bean too. I guess by your "opinion", they are all horrible too then. Nothing will ever be good going by that metric. I'm sorry that's the opinion you have in general of the state of smartphones, must be "horrible" for you.

I'm not expecting foolproof, failproof software. I am, however expecting to use my phone without it rebooting in my hands as I'm typing an email, or lagging to the point of unusability. all four of the above mentioned os's had issues like that.

Still do, will always have. Bugs are a fact of life, no matter how hard companies and software developers try to implement Q&A, unit testing, etc..

That's why there are warranties and updates.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
you can show me them, but is still subjective to you and your definition of ugly.
I agree, a lot of stuff isnt aesthetically appeasing to me, but that doesn't mean its a fact.

you honestly cant see how that its subjective?

There is certainly objectively ugly design, yes. But this argument is stupid, so I won't debate this anymore with you.

matttye
Aug 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
There is certainly objectively ugly design, yes. But this argument is stupid, so I won't debate this anymore with you.

Ever hear of the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ?

The words "objectively" and "ugly" should not be used in the same sentence. As an example, I prefer Android's dark user interface to iOS' light grey boring UI. You clearly don't agree. They are our OPINIONS.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Ever hear of the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ?

The words "objectively" and "ugly" should not be used in the same sentence. As an example, I prefer Android's dark user interface to iOS' light grey boring UI. You clearly don't agree. They are our OPINIONS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.denper.addonsdetector&feature=trending-apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwNSwiY29tLmRlbnBlci5hZGRvbnNkZXRlY3RvciJd

Find me a beholder who finds that beautiful or even remotely attractive. Then find me an iOS app that hideous. Objectively ugly, case closed.

KnightWRX
Aug 15, 2012, 06:40 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.denper.addonsdetector&feature=trending-apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwNSwiY29tLmRlbnBlci5hZGRvbnNkZXRlY3RvciJd

Find me a beholder who finds that beautiful or even remotely attractive. Then find me an iOS app that hideous. Objectively ugly, case closed.

Looks fine to me.

But what does 3rd party apps have to do with Android exactly ? There's plenty of very butt ugly iOS apps out there, just like there's plenty of ugly Android apps.

And yes, it's all subjective, no matter how much you don't want it to be. Beauty is a subjective quality.

Calidude
Aug 15, 2012, 07:08 PM

That's not even an app you'd use every day. It just scans for adware in other apps. It doesn't have to be nice looking. It just has to work.

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 07:12 PM
That's not even an app you'd use every day. It just scans for adware in other apps. It doesn't have to be nice looking. It just has to work.

It's just a matter of quality control, that's my point. There is no standard of design or aesthetics like there is in iOS, no theme, no coherency. That's a trending app on the Play Store, you'd never see that on iOS.

That's one of the reasons I dislike Android.

Calidude
Aug 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
It's just a matter of quality control, that's my point. There is no standard of design or aesthetics like there is in iOS, no theme, no coherency. That's a trending app on the Play Store, you'd never see that on iOS.

There's a standard of design. It's called Holo. However, it's not strictly enforced. Over time, pretty much every app will be forced to adhere to this.

Here's a list of apps that do adhere. What do you think?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/8/2933271/android-holo-themed-apps-organized-list

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
There's a standard of design. It's called Holo. However, it's not strictly enforced. Over time, pretty much every app will be forced to adhere to this.

Here's a list of apps that do adhere. What do you think?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/8/2933271/android-holo-themed-apps-organized-list

Theres some good apps on there, but those only add up to < .1% of all apps on the Store, and that's awful. I wish you were right about every app eventually being forced to adhere, but that's just not true. As far as I know, Google won't enact stringent policies for compliance with their design guidelines, and so 3rd party apps will continue to be a sloppy mess.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
There are Android forums in which you would be free from such disruptions and are no doubt full of rabid Android fans (bless). If you are going to discuss anything in MR, expect to see debate.

Debate I can handle, but literally every thread in this subforum ends up flooded with trolls spouting rubbish. And yes, you're right there are trolls and fanboys on both sides its just that the iOS ones always seem a bit more militant to me :D

SlCKB0Y
Aug 15, 2012, 08:17 PM
That's a trending app on the Play Store, you'd never see that on iOS.

Yea and that same power to reject apps means that Apple can enforce their own agenda and interests. One example:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/08/apple_copies_rejected_app/

Mac.World
Aug 15, 2012, 08:19 PM

I don't find that icon ugly. Looks just as cartoonish as every ios app icon. But do you consider the gamecenter or numbers icon more pleasing? There are two hideous stock ios icons for you. Not even a 3rd party one, like your example. ;)

SlCKB0Y
Aug 15, 2012, 08:20 PM
and so 3rd party apps will continue to be a sloppy mess.

See it's blanket statements like this which are the problem. You are generalising this statement to half a million apps?

Awesome...

zbarvian
Aug 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
I don't find that icon ugly. Looks just as cartoonish as every ios app icon. But do you consider the gamecenter or numbers icon more pleasing? There are two hideous stock ios icons for you. Not even a 3rd party one, like your example. ;)

I wasn't talking about the icon...

And the app scene is a mess, just go peruse the Play Store charts.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 15, 2012, 09:12 PM
Objectively ugly, case closed.

Huh? Objectively ugly? This is a contradiction..."ugly" by definition is subjective... see this is the crap we have to deal with in this forum.

"Objectively ugly". Hahahaha. That's made my day. Thanks!

Calidude
Aug 16, 2012, 12:09 AM
Huh? Objectively ugly? This is a contradiction..."ugly" by definition is subjective... see this is the crap we have to deal with in this forum.

"Objectively ugly". Hahahaha. That's made my day. Thanks!
Lets be honest here. There is such a thing as absolute ugliness. There's a lot of apps that almost every person would find ugly and a lot of apps that almost every person would find beautiful. The people who don't agree typically have something wrong with them.

The Android app zbarvian posted is ugly by today's standards, yes. No doubt about it. If you don't think that app is ugly, you're lying to yourself.

Mac.World
Aug 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
Lets be honest here. There is such a thing as absolute ugliness. There's a lot of apps that almost every person would find ugly and a lot of apps that almost every person would find beautiful. The people who don't agree typically have something wrong with them.

The Android app zbarvian posted is ugly by today's standards, yes. No doubt about it. If you don't think that app is ugly, you're lying to yourself.

Basically, you are saying here that your opinion on everything is right and anyone that disagree's with you is wrong? Most of your posts look like the ranting of someone that was bullied as a kid and is now a keyboard ninja. Sorry dude, but always with the negative vibes from you. Gotta put you on the banished list. Bad vibes don't work for me.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 16, 2012, 12:58 AM

You're missing the point. Even if a million people look at something and everyone of them thinks it is ugly, it is still subjective.

That is the point I was trying to make. "Objectively ugly" is an absolute contradiction...

matttye
Aug 16, 2012, 01:16 AM

Looks fine to me. :confused:

Thanks for strengthening my point.

matttye
Aug 16, 2012, 01:18 AM

Do you actually believe what you're posting or are you trying to wind people up?

Clearly people have different opinions on what looks good, otherwise we'd all be going for the exact same type of partner, wearing the exact same clothes, etc.

Calidude
Aug 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
Basically, you are saying here that your opinion on everything is right and anyone that disagree's with you is wrong? Most of your posts look like the ranting of someone that was bullied as a kid and is now a keyboard ninja. Sorry dude, but always with the negative vibes from you. Gotta put you on the banished list. Bad vibes don't work for me.
Is that like a list of yours?

Anyway, I'm just being honest here. We can't say that nothing is absolutely ugly just because somebody with bad taste finds it appealing.

----------

"Objectively ugly" is an absolute contradiction...
Not at all. If I posted a photograph of a fresh fecal chunk straight from my own rectum in an art gallery, I might find it pretty, and a couple of other people might find it pretty, but almost all people will find it absolutely disgusting. Would you still say that that photograph of fecal matter is "not objectively ugly"?

The question would be "What's mentally wrong with the people who find fecal matter pretty?"

matttye
Aug 16, 2012, 01:25 AM
Not at all. If I posted a photograph of a fresh fecal chunk straight from my own rectum in an art gallery, I might find it pretty, and a couple of other people might find it pretty, but almost all people will find it absolutely disgusting. Would you still say that that photograph of fecal matter is "not objectively ugly"?

The question would be "What's mentally wrong with the people who find fecal matter pretty?"

and the answer would be "nothing, because beauty is subjective."

Calidude
Aug 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
Do you actually believe what you're posting or are you trying to wind people up?

Clearly people have different opinions on what looks good, otherwise we'd all be going for the exact same type of partner, wearing the exact same clothes, etc.
Yes, absolutely. I believe every single thing I post. Preferences can differ, but there is always going to be an absolute standard of beauty.

Your examples are flawed. If you got a group of 100 women and polled 10,000 men there would be 1 woman in that group whom nearly everybody thinks is the most attractive, and 1 woman who whom nearly everybody thinks is the ugliest. As for clothes, if you got 100 shirts, the same thing would happen if you polled 10,000 people.

----------

and the answer would be "nothing, because beauty is subjective."
The beauty of fecal matter is subjective? Really?

matttye
Aug 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
Yes, absolutely. I believe every single thing I post. Preferences can differ, but there is always going to be an absolute standard of beauty.

Your examples are flawed. If you got a group of 100 women and polled 10,000 men there would be 1 woman in that group whom nearly everybody thinks is the most attractive, and 1 woman who whom nearly everybody thinks is the ugliest. As for clothes, if you got 100 shirts, the same thing would happen if you polled 10,000 people.

----------

The beauty of fecal matter is subjective? Really?

You think one woman / man would be the clear winner? That's really unlikely.. Some like blondes, some like brunettes, some like redheads, some like boobs, some like legs, some like bums.

There's no such thing as an absolute standard of beauty. :rolleyes:

SlCKB0Y
Aug 16, 2012, 01:55 AM

Ok, I understand the problem now. It seems no one understands what the actual definitions of "subjective" and "objective" are.

If they did we would not be having this conversation.

I'm saying by definition, "ugly" as a descriptor is *always* a subjective judgement...

Calidude
Aug 16, 2012, 02:02 AM
Ok, I understand the problem now. It seems no one understands what the actual definitions of "subjective" and "objective" are..
The real problem is that most people want to forget where the term "it looks like crap" came from in order to seem "open-minded" to others.

"Crap" as in actual fecal matter, is universally unappealing. Just because some mentally ill people admire fecal matter doesn't make it beautiful.

So yes, that's one reason there is an absolute measure of beauty.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
The real problem is that most people want to forget where the term "it looks like crap" came from in order to seem "open-minded" to others.

"Crap" as in actual fecal matter, is universally unappealing. Just because some mentally ill people admire fecal matter doesn't make it beautiful.

So yes, that's one reason there is an absolute measure of beauty.

How can I argue with logic like that? "Because most people find faeces unappealing therefore there must be an absolute measure of beauty".

Congratulations, welcome to my ignore list as well.