Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Hi,

I read many reviews and comments on the Internet that the Speck Smartshell for iPad 2 does fit the iPad 3.

I right now bought it from Amazon UK and will let you all know if it is true.

Have you got it ? Does it really fit ? Please comment.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Yes the iPad 2 Speck Smartshell does fit and is fairly easy to remove and re-install. There is a very slight bowing on the edge where the smart cover attaches but other than that everything else is very nice.

Attachments

• spekc1.jpg
    spekc1.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Speck2.jpg
    Speck2.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 245

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Yes the iPad 2 Speck Smartshell does fit and is fairly easy to remove and re-install. There is a very slight bowing on the edge where the smart cover attaches but other than that everything else is very nice.

Bowing ? Could you take a close up photo of this issue ? Thanks.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This seems like the best type of shell from my research.

Honestly I'll wait for the newer version for better fitment.

How much did u get yours for ?

Macmall is offering the preorder for $23

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
This seems like the best type of shell from my research.

Honestly I'll wait for the newer version for better fitment.

How much did u get yours for ?

Macmall is offering the preorder for $23

The black one, here in the UK from Amazon UK, £24.42 pounds.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I am right now speaking with a Sales person on the Speck site, and he mentioned that :

Our designers have done extensive testing on the iPad3 in iPad2 covers. They determined the SmartShell and Folio cases (hard plastic cases) do not fit the iPad3.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am right now speaking with a Sales person on the Speck site, and he mentioned that :

Our designers have done extensive testing on the iPad3 in iPad2 covers. They determined the SmartShell and Folio cases (hard plastic cases) do not fit the iPad3.

Of course they will say that so you pay more for the new one. I got my smart shell 2 for $5.82 shipped from amazon warehouse deals. It fits fine the only "bowing" is the top edge in portrait, the edge where the FaceTime camera is...

It doesn't wrap all the way over the glass but I wouldnt have noticed it if it wasn't for the previous posters comment. It really doesn't matter! as a case this thin won't protect the iPad from a severe drop anyway. Just really from scratches and scrapes, that said I don't like the look of the speck case as I want a white shiny back to match my white iPad with a magnet in the rear as well. But I don't think one exists yet, just the macally, which has no magnet.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Of course they will say that so you pay more for the new one. I got my smart shell 2 for $5.82 shipped from amazon warehouse deals. It fits fine the only "bowing" is the top edge in portrait, the edge where the FaceTime camera is...

It doesn't wrap all the way over the glass but I wouldnt have noticed it if it wasn't for the previous posters comment. It really doesn't matter! as a case this thin won't protect the iPad from a severe drop anyway. Just really from scratches and scrapes, that said I don't like the look of the speck case as I want a white shiny back to match my white iPad with a magnet in the rear as well. But I don't think one exists yet, just the macally, which has no magnet.

Can you tell me if it was easy or hard to snap the case in place on the iPad 3 ? And for removing ? I read somewhere that somebody tried to remove the case and scratched his iPad 3 in the corner.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Can you tell me if it was easy or hard to snap the case in place on the iPad 3 ? And for removing ? I read somewhere that somebody tried to remove the case and scratched his iPad 3 in the corner.

I haven't tried to remove it yet... but it wasn't too difficult to snap on. If I were to remove it I'd probably start with the power button corner... it seems to be the portion that is easiest to take off as it's just a little tab... But it surely is on there pretty tightly.

I'm rethinking this cover though... I never like Speck stuff and this one feels pretty cheap. The only thing I really love about it is the magnet back... but even that doesn't work right when I'm watching videos on the elliptical at the gym so I can live with no magnet I think.

I might go with the Macally and not be thrifty on this one.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I haven't tried to remove it yet... but it wasn't too difficult to snap on. If I were to remove it I'd probably start with the power button corner... it seems to be the portion that is easiest to take off as it's just a little tab... But it surely is on there pretty tightly.

I'm rethinking this cover though... I never like Speck stuff and this one feels pretty cheap. The only thing I really love about it is the magnet back... but even that doesn't work right when I'm watching videos on the elliptical at the gym so I can live with no magnet I think.

I might go with the Macally and not be thrifty on this one.

Cheers mate for the info. I should receive mine tomorrow and will let you know of my experience. I will still keep an eye on the updated version when it finally comes out. Also Belkin has one with magnets but I read mix reviews for the iPad 2 one. Again, they still have not out in the UK for the updated version.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

I have found that it is easiest to start removing it on the back corners where the smart cover attaches. I unsnap one corner then the other and the rest of the case comes off easily.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have found that it is easiest to start removing it on the back corners where the smart cover attaches. I unsnap one corner then the other and the rest of the case comes off easily.

My mistake. I meant the headphone jack corner. Which is on the same side as the smart cover.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Ok, so I got the case, black one, and it feels great in the hands, but the inside part feels cheap and not so soft. I also had to clean it because there was bits of plastic inside, I guess from manufacturing.

The fit ? Tight but not tight to the point that your iPad 3 would be damaged in any way.

To remove it ? As previous poster mentioned, start from the headphone corner and all comes off fine (without a scratch).

The bowing ? Indeed, its noticeable but not so visually, it feels like there is air between the case and iPad 3, looking and touching from the Smart Cover side.

Conclusion : I am happy with it but will probably purchase the updated version when its out in the UK.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Will they release a version for the iPad 3 ? I looked on their site and there's no mention of it.

riverwater

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
Ordered one from macmall. I have a clear one on ipad2 for almost a year. I like it very much, especial the magnet stick on the back which can hold the SC. However, there are some scratches on it, very obvious on the cleat shell, so I order a black one this time.

Yes, the part number is: SPK-A1202. You can pre-order it at MacMall, Vebee or J&R. Should be released soon!

riverwater

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
I put my smartshell for ipad2 on my ipad3 today, it fits but very tight, and like EDH667 pointed out there was bowing on the edge next to smart cover. I removed it and put it back to ipad2. Now waiting for the preordered smartshell for new iPad from Macmall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.