PDA

View Full Version : Weird buzzing sound from the screen of a PB G4 12"

kylera
Apr 5, 2012, 06:31 AM
Every now and then, regardless of what I'm doing at the time, there is this weird buzzing noise, which goes away either by itself after a few seconds, or if I touch the screen. The Book is still useable, it's just a tad annoying. Does anyone have or has anyone had such a symptom?

T5BRICK
Apr 5, 2012, 09:02 AM
Sounds like the display may be going out. It's been a long time since I've worked on these but I'd guess it is either the backlight or the inverter.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-12-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-Display-Inverter/2180/1

kylera
Apr 7, 2012, 09:18 AM
Sounds like the display may be going out. It's been a long time since I've worked on these but I'd guess it is either the backlight or the inverter.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-12-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-Display-Inverter/2180/1

Holy crap!!!

I feel I might have a better shot at obtaining another PB instead. Thanks for the diagnosis, though.

G51989
Apr 8, 2012, 08:18 AM
The sound that your hearing, if its a buzzing/wizzing sound is probably the capicators starting to crap out, or possibly the inverter.

Exact same thing happened to a Alienware Laptop I had for a few years, screen s tarting making exactly the same sound, went out a few weeks later.

kylera
Apr 8, 2012, 10:16 AM
The sound that your hearing, if its a buzzing/wizzing sound is probably the capicators starting to crap out, or possibly the inverter.

Exact same thing happened to a Alienware Laptop I had for a few years, screen s tarting making exactly the same sound, went out a few weeks later.

Huh. I guess my capacitors must be going down with a fight. My Book has been buzzing for more than a year!

666sheep
Apr 8, 2012, 03:13 PM
99% it's inverter. It could work like that for another year ;)
Simply wait until it will die, then replace the inverter.

kylera
Apr 8, 2012, 08:57 PM
99% it's inverter. It could work like that for another year ;)
Simply wait until it will die, then replace the inverter.

If only I had nimble fingers like most modders, I would dare try....:(