PDA

View Full Version : Performing Live Music

Vivalabreitels
Apr 5, 2012, 12:09 PM
Im looking at buying an iPad mostly to use when i play music live. My set up would be my guitar and vocals live and have the iPad providing the remaining backing tracks(drums, bass, etc). Ive see a few people do that set up without an iPad and i have the capabilities to do so with my macbook, id just prefer a simple set up. Any suggestions as to apps to use? Is garageband the only app worth using for music creation and production?

Mobile923
Apr 5, 2012, 12:50 PM
Im looking at buying an iPad mostly to use when i play music live. My set up would be my guitar and vocals live and have the iPad providing the remaining backing tracks(drums, bass, etc). Ive see a few people do that set up without an iPad and i have the capabilities to do so with my macbook, id just prefer a simple set up. Any suggestions as to apps to use? Is garageband the only app worth using for music creation and production?

Garageband is great, but it lacks volume automation. Try out the HarmonicDog app called "Multi-Track"

Macman45
Apr 5, 2012, 12:53 PM
Amplitube as your iPad interface, an irig for hardware purposes...Garage Band really isn't up to live work.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitube/features/

You can try it free and see how it all fits together.

Mobile923
Apr 5, 2012, 02:36 PM
iOS Musician is a good blog for music apps and hardware for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Recently they've been talking about the upcoming AudioBus multi-tasking feature between apps.

Let's say you like the amp sounds coming out of Amplitube, you can run that app and record its output in Multi-Track, SoundCloud or whatever software.

But as for using GarageBand for live performances, it's completely doable. Of if you wanna use Amplitube, it has a playback feature, so you can play along with any mp3 (bass, drum and backup vox tracks)

Vivalabreitels
Apr 6, 2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the tips. Ill look into all the suggestions