PDA

View Full Version : Watching online TV

jbarley
Apr 5, 2012, 06:59 PM
AS some of you may already know, I'm a senior and do not get out much.
I find I'm developing an interest in watching TV online, I have a couple of very good sources but I'm wondering if my viewing experience would benefit from a better video card.
Right now I have a G5 powermac dual 1.8 with 6GB and the original GeForce FX 5200 card. I'm thinking of upgrading to a ATI X800 XT, but only if it would improve my viewing experience.
I'm not into anything else that I would need this card for, but that being said, I also like to tinker with my systems and make them all they can be.
Opinions please?

MAC MAN JW
Apr 5, 2012, 09:05 PM
AS some of you may already know, I'm a senior and do not get out much.
I find I'm developing an interest in watching TV online, I have a couple of very good sources but I'm wondering if my viewing experience would benefit from a better video card.
Right now I have a G5 powermac dual 1.8 with 6GB and the original GeForce FX 5200 card. I'm thinking of upgrading to a ATI X800 XT, but only if it would improve my viewing experience.
I'm not into anything else that I would need this card for, but that being said, I also like to tinker with my systems and make them all they can be.
Opinions please?

If you are useing Flash Player to view the videos i don't know how much a new video card will help being Flash uses the CPU the most. But i am not saying a New video card is a bad idea:D

Old Smuggler
Apr 5, 2012, 09:11 PM
If its a cheap upgrade go for it
if it costs more than $100 then save your money it probably wont make that big of a difference

AdrianK
Apr 6, 2012, 03:48 AM
Your GPU won't accelerate any flash content, so you shouldn't see a difference.

Angelo95210
Apr 6, 2012, 04:44 AM
Don't upgrade your card. It will make no difference for watching TV. If you feel that your computer is lagging you might take benefit from upgrading to an Intel machine. I don't know how good are G5s at playing video.

I know there are some tricks as well like using dedicated players instead of just watching directly from the website. You can find information about this in previous posts here in the Powermac forums.

jbarley
Apr 6, 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks folks.
That pretty much answers my question, so lets call this one 'resolved'.