Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theberkin8or

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I am looking for a well made TPU cover to protect the back of my new ipad with the smart cover. I have heard that TPU provides some drop protection (not a lot) and is less likely to crack or fall apart than something like the belkin snap shield.

I am not looking to lock the smart cover on (doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the smart cover?) but I wouldn't say no to a good magnet to hold the smart cover to the back. I have a cheap one for the ipad 2 to carry me over but it gets underneath my screen cover and causes air bubbles on the side.

Any ideas?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am looking for a well made TPU cover to protect the back of my new ipad with the smart cover. I have heard that TPU provides some drop protection (not a lot) and is less likely to crack or fall apart than something like the belkin snap shield.

I am not looking to lock the smart cover on (doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the smart cover?) but I wouldn't say no to a good magnet to hold the smart cover to the back. I have a cheap one for the ipad 2 to carry me over but it gets underneath my screen cover and causes air bubbles on the side.

Any ideas?

Click Me

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I'm using this one. It fits the new iPad really well and feels great to hold.

Please tell me that this has no drawbacks, because right now this looks like my first choice. It's also an italian product which is an added bonus for me (e.g. shipping cost). Would love if you had some pics to share.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm using this:
http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2301

Very smooth texture, just grippy enough to feel secure in my hands. I also tried the Tucano case with the magnet strip the poster above pointed out. That was also very nice, but I didn't like the cutout on the long side to lift the smart cover open. With the Scosche, you can lift the smart cover from any point on the edge.

Theberkin8or

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
" I'm using this one. It fits the new iPad really well and feels great to hold. " and you can get it on amazon I think we have a winner!

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
" I'm using this one. It fits the new iPad really well and feels great to hold. " and you can get it on amazon I think we have a winner!

The only "imperfection" I can see is that the rear camera hole seems a bit off center with the new iPad, as you can see in the gallery at the bottom of this page, but maybe it's a non issue.

iphoneuserinyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
new iPad ?

Yes, new iPad. The pictures in the link that was posted earlier were of the WiFi + 4G model, but mine is WiFi only. I don't think that should make a difference though, as I am pretty certain the dimensions are the same. Maybe just a little variation between manufacturing batches (for the cover)?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Any ideas?

I don't think one exists. I believe the one you're referencing in the posts above is just like the Belkin- a plastic shell coated in a rubberized paint.

TPU = sloppy, puffy, loose-fitting case with a modicum of drop protection.

Shell = tight, slim, sleek, form-fitting case with no drop protection.

You and I are in the same place but with opposite approaches. I'm dying for a Shell with 100% coverage. You're looking a TPU with an opening. Ironic. The reason the TPU doesn't exist with the opening is that because of it's inherently loose/sloppy constitution it needs 4-sided adherence. It's like a rubber band in that regard; if it's not tautly stretched on all 4 sides, whichever side is not taut will droop.

BJ

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't think one exists. I believe the one you're referencing in the posts above is just like the Belkin- a plastic shell coated in a rubberized paint.

No they aren't. I've had the Belkin, Tucano and Scosxhe, and I also have used soft TPU cases without opening for the smart cover. And the Tucano and Scosche feel exactly like the soft TPU cases. I think your problem is you've only seen the cheaper more flimsy TPU cases. The better ones are soft to the touch but grips the device firmly, so that even with the opening for a smart cover, they don't slip around or fall off. The Scosche, especially, fits tightly and doesn't move around at all.

I'm dying for a Shell with 100% coverage.

Well, this is for iPad 2, but it seems to be closed on all four sides. Has a big opening for speakers, though.
http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=380

Point is, keep looking. What you want may be uncommon, but not non-existent.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

TPU = sloppy, puffy, loose-fitting case with a modicum of drop protection.

Shell = tight, slim, sleek, form-fitting case with no drop protection.

You and I are in the same place but with opposite approaches. I'm dying for a Shell with 100% coverage. You're looking a TPU with an opening. Ironic. The reason the TPU doesn't exist with the opening is that because of it's inherently loose/sloppy constitution it needs 4-sided adherence. It's like a rubber band in that regard; if it's not tautly stretched on all 4 sides, whichever side is not taut will droop.

BJ

I own the one I recommended and it is neither loose, puffy or sloppy. The holes are all properly cut and the price is $9.95

I've owned TPU on iPads and iPhones and prefer the material. Dont know where you got your information.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I own the one I recommended and it is neither loose, puffy or sloppy. The holes are all properly cut and the price is $9.95

I've owned TPU on iPads and iPhones and prefer the material. Dont know where you got your information.

I've owned the Belkin GripVue sice Day 1 of getting my iPad 1 in May 2010. Compared to hard shells, they are thicker, puffier, and sloppier as I pointed out.

TPU cases are thicker and flexible. Hard Shells are thin and stiff. That's my point.

BJ

----------

Well, this is for iPad 2, but it seems to be closed on all four sides. Has a big opening for speakers, though.
http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=380

Point is, keep looking. What you want may be uncommon, but not non-existent.

Thanks. That looks identical to the Monoprice Premium Shell I just received, probably from the same mold and factory. I'm looking for that exact shell but with the same speaker and antenna coverage as the likes of the Macally and Marware shells (complete coverage, perforation for speaker) but without their big openings for the Smart Cover.

BJ

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I've owned the Belkin GripVue sice Day 1 of getting my iPad 1 in May 2010. Compared to hard shells, they are thicker, puffier, and sloppier as I pointed out.

TPU cases are thicker and flexible. Hard Shells are thin and stiff. That's my point.

BJ

Let me see if I got this straight...you owned 1 TPU case and are comfortable with a sweeping judgement about TPU?

Folks ignore his comments. I have had many TPU cases on both the iphone and ipad 1....none of his points are valid except perhaps for the 1 case he owned.

The case I mention fits the Ipad 3 firmly, has a nice soft grip and shows no fingerprints. Corners are reinforced. Perhaps someone else will pick up the case I mentioned and chime in...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Let me see if I got this straight...you owned 1 TPU case and are comfortable with a sweeping judgement about TPU?

Folks ignore his comments. I have had many TPU cases on both the iphone and ipad 1....none of his points are valid except perhaps for the 1 case he owned.

The case I mention fits the Ipad 3 firmly, has a nice soft grip and shows no fingerprints. Corners are reinforced. Perhaps someone else will pick up the case I mentioned and chime in...

My statement, to repeat, was "compared to hard shells, TPU cases are thicker, puffier, and sloppier". That is a fact.

Here's a video, folks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oOHywAiAeE

If you like your iPad feeling like a pack of Gummi Bears, a TPU case is for you.

BJ

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My statement, to repeat, was "compared to hard shells, TPU cases are thicker, puffier, and sloppier". That is a fact.

Thicker, yes. Puffier, well, I don't know if I'd use that word, but of course the point of TPU is to have a material that is bouncy, flexible and have some give. Whether you like that feel is personal preference. Sloppy? No way. I had that Belkin GripVue case for iPad 1, and no way was it sloppy. It fit the iPad perfectly, felt very solid in my hands. It's one of the best TPU cases I've ever used. If you are calling that case sloppy, then it's obvious you just don't like TPUs. That's perfectly fine, but please don't come into a thread specifically asking for TPU cases and try to talk people out of them. Yes we know that compared to hard cases, TPU cases are thicker and bouncier. It's the bounciness that I like, and I suspect that's what other users who prefer TPU cases like about them, too. And while I appreciate the thinness and lightness of hard shell cases, I find that the edges dig into my hands. Feeling like Gummy Bears is an advantage in this case, my hands feel so grateful they are no longer gripping hard sharp edges of metal or hard plastic for hours at a time. TPU cases any not be for you, but I'm so glad to have found ones that work with the Smart Cover, they are perfect FOR ME.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Thicker, yes. Puffier, well, I don't know if I'd use that word, but of course the point of TPU is to have a material that is bouncy, flexible and have some give. Whether you like that feel is personal preference. Sloppy? No way. I had that Belkin GripVue case for iPad 1, and no way was it sloppy. It fit the iPad perfectly, felt very solid in my hands. It's one of the best TPU cases I've ever used. If you are calling that case sloppy, then it's obvious you just don't like TPUs. That's perfectly fine, but please don't come into a thread specifically asking for TPU cases and try to talk people out of them. Yes we know that compared to hard cases, TPU cases are thicker and bouncier. It's the bounciness that I like, and I suspect that's what other users who prefer TPU cases like about them, too. And while I appreciate the thinness and lightness of hard shell cases, I find that the edges dig into my hands. Feeling like Gummy Bears is an advantage in this case, my hands feel so grateful they are no longer gripping hard sharp edges of metal or hard plastic for hours at a time. TPU cases any not be for you, but I'm so glad to have found ones that work with the Smart Cover, they are perfect FOR ME.

I am still stuck on this puffier description but I suppose that's a matter of perception. The iPad case is super thin but the corners are a bit thicker to absorb more damaging shock.

I have TPU iphone cases, on the other hand, that are .3 mm thick...not puffy at all.

Theberkin8or

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Just got the vega tpu case and it is not puffy at all. It is tight fit for the new iPad and as mentioned the camera and hold button are a little off center. However this doesn't affect usage so I don't mind. The one thing that I would really like to change is for the back to be more textured for grip. It is better than naked but I liked my 5 dollar iPad 2 case better for this. Oh and the magnet on the back is strong and makes the smart cover much more user friendly.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Question for the TPU experts — is it as much of a crud-magnet as silicone is?

No. It'll occasionally get dusty, but you can wipe it clean with a damp cloth. It doesn't attract lint, or have any kind of tackiness to it at all. I keep my TPU-clad iPhone in my pocket and it's totally crud-free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.