PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Unlocked off Contract iPhones Question

Makaveli6103
Apr 6, 2012, 12:51 PM
Here (http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/06/atandt-to-begin-unlocking-iphone-sunday-april-8/) is the link to the article.

But my question is that my contract ends in June and want to do this before my Europe vacation. I am currently unlocked and jailbroken in my iPhone 4 5.0.1 Baseband 1.59.00. Should I even bother?

labman
Apr 6, 2012, 01:17 PM
wait till it happens mean time preserve you unlockable baseband at all cost!

gapperonduty
Apr 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
Here's AT&T's official statement on the matter:

Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

weaselmtl
Apr 6, 2012, 01:31 PM
Awesome except I got my 4s on a 2 yr agreement six months ago and spend most of my time in Canada! This still doesn't help me.

dhlizard
Apr 6, 2012, 01:55 PM
Here (http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/06/atandt-to-begin-unlocking-iphone-sunday-april-8/) is the link to the article.

But my question is that my contract ends in June and want to do this before my Europe vacation. I am currently unlocked and jailbroken in my iPhone 4 5.0.1 Baseband 1.59.00. Should I even bother?

Edit: According to what is stated, you will have to satisfy your early termination fee to qualify.

**I will be in the AT&T Store Monday morning as I have 2 iPhones to unlock **

Qoo
Apr 6, 2012, 02:00 PM
Awesome except I got my 4s on a 2 yr agreement six months ago and spend most of my time in Canada! This still doesn't help me.

negotiate with them, i am sure some one their could help you out, if not just pay the early termination fee to get it officially unlock :)

labman
Apr 6, 2012, 02:01 PM
great to AT&T finally come around about this. anything is better then nothing but it's honestly pretty fair.

Applejuiced
Apr 6, 2012, 02:07 PM
I thought this day will never come.
Very good news.

gapperonduty
Apr 6, 2012, 04:25 PM
According to the article, you will have to buy out your remaining 2 months with early termination fee (like $10 per month for most)

A bargain for a FUL unlock !

are you sure it only $10/month for the remaining months?

I thought it is $325-$10 x # months completed (out of 2 years) ?

OceanView
Apr 6, 2012, 04:31 PM
This is great news.
I may not have to jail break after this.
Oh wait, there is this other thing called tethering...

0m3ga
Apr 6, 2012, 05:03 PM
I just read this and it is awesome news. Gonna unlock my ip4 before selling it.

eastercat
Apr 6, 2012, 08:48 PM
I can't wait until my contract ends in October. I'm going to keep my 1.59 bb until then, if I have to go out of country on vacation.
I'll still be jb for things like showcase, but it'll be such a relief to not have to worry about bb anymore.

Kayan
Apr 7, 2012, 01:50 AM
I thought this day will never come.
Very good news.

Seriously.

dukebound85
Apr 7, 2012, 01:56 AM
According to the article, you will have to buy out your remaining 2 months with early termination fee (like $10 per month for most)

A bargain for a FUL unlock !

It is not that cheap. it is 325 - 10* (however many months you have have been in contract).

So if you have 2 months left, you will pay an ETF of 105 bucks

dhlizard
Apr 8, 2012, 08:16 AM
If/when you call for this, ask for tech support. That is where they are doing the IMEI unlocks.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 09:38 AM
If/when you call for this, ask for tech support. That is where they are doing the IMEI unlocks.

So how did it go?

psywzrd
Apr 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
I just called to request my unlock but I'm not eligible yet because I'm still under contract until June 17th. I'm assuming that everyone who got the iphone 4 when it first came out will be in the same boat.

labman
Apr 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
I know I learned that my eligibility for a new iPhone was different then my contract end date. I was allowed to get a 4S in early Feb. However my contract end date was more like July. I also wonder how AT&T is tracking the accounts via phone number, serial # or IMEI etc.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 10:33 AM
I know I learned that my eligibility for a new iPhone was different then my contract end date. I was allowed to get a 4S in early Feb. However my contract end date was more like July. I also wonder how AT&T is tracking the accounts via phone number, serial # or IMEI etc.

I thought if you are on a new contract attached to another device then the old iphone could be unlocked.
Weird, what does it matter when you old contract would have expired when you signed a whole new one since? AT&T is going to be a pain not wanting to unlock phones.
Other companies unlock them within months even brand new 4S devices.

braddick
Apr 8, 2012, 10:53 AM
^
There is no incentive for AT&T to unlock iPhones that are physically not being used, with a contract on another iPhone. (Same phone number, different, newer iPhone.)
Owning a 4S, for example, under contract doesn't mean AT&T should then be obligated to unlock your prior 3GS.

Instead of being obligated to unlock hundreds of thousands of iPhones (many people just toss their older iDevices in drawers and forget about them...). They're setting themselves up to only unlock tens of thousands: current, in-use iPhones under current out of contract.
Most iPhones don't meet that requirement as many people, myself included, upgrade constantly and are rarely out of contract, thus not qualifying for an unlock at this time on our older, unused iPhones.
The new iPhone5 release will slow down even further the number of iPhones that qualify for an unlock as contracts are upgraded with the same line, newer iPhone.

Edited for clarification.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 10:56 AM
^
There is no incentive for AT&T to unlock iPhones that are physically not under contract.
Owning a 4S, for example, under contract doesn't mean AT&T should then be obligated to unlock your prior 3GS.

Instead of being obligated to unlock hundreds of thousands of iPhones (many people just toss their older iDevices in drawers and forget about them...). They're setting themselves up to only unlock tens of thousands: current, in-use iPhones under current out of contract.
Most iPhones don't meet that requirement as many people, myself included, upgrade constantly and are rarely out of contract, thus not qualifying for an unlock at this time.
The new iPhone5 release will slow down even further the number of iPhones that qualify for an unlock.

According to their statement they will start unlocking iphones that are out of contract to customers in good standing.
They dont have to but are willing I guess and the only requirements are below. Here AT&T's statement:

Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

Vudoo
Apr 8, 2012, 11:00 AM
If the IMEI shows to be under contract, they won't unlock it even if you are in good standing. I just got 2 out of 3 of my iPhones unlocked. My AT&T account is about 4 years old with bills paid every month and currently I have two iPhones 4s, one iPhone 4 and LTE iPad.

braddick
Apr 8, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'd love to be wrong on this!
I attempted to unlock an older iPhone2G with this new stipulation and got the runaround stating AT&T only unlocks iPhones that are currently being used yet out of contract.

If they are indeed unlocking iPhones that are not ported to a number at all then they're going to get slammed once the word gets out.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 11:15 AM
I'd love to be wrong on this!
I attempted to unlock an older iPhone2G with this new stipulation and got the runaround stating AT&T only unlocks iPhones that are currently being used yet out of contract.

If they are indeed unlocking iPhones that are not ported to a number at all then they're going to get slammed once the word gets out.

I hear you, many will get the runaround and just because you found an unhelpfull or misinformed AT&T rep doesnt mean you should give up.
Its clear in their statement that they will unlock devices and what you were told was incorrect IMO.
Like others said you will have to be transfered to tech support for them to do the unlock.
Good luck.

Arisian
Apr 8, 2012, 11:20 AM
So, from what I've read, it still looks like I'm SOL.

I have two iPhone 4's that are currently locked, purchased second hand from previous AT&T customers.

I live overseas and haven't been an AT&T customer, other than go phone, since August of 2011.

Thoughts?

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 11:27 AM

I have two iPhone 4's that are currently locked, purchased second hand from previous AT&T customers.

I live overseas and haven't been an AT&T customer, other than go phone, since August of 2011.

Thoughts?

You might be SOL but lets see how it goes.
Maybe all you will need to do is give your iphones IMEI to an AT&T customer and have them call for the unlock.
That's if they will allow to unlock it if its was purchased under contract on another account.

braddick
Apr 8, 2012, 11:27 AM

Thoughts?

Specific to your thread? No.
Random? We can put a man on the moon but we still can't put metal in the microwave. What's up with that?!

Arisian
Apr 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
You might be SOL but lets see how it goes.
Maybe all you will need to do is give your iphones IMEI to an AT&T customer and have them call for the unlock.
That's if they will allow to unlock it if its was purchased under contract on another account.

I agree. Will have to see how it goes. I think you are right in that there might be some loop holes, but as other commenters have mentioned, I'm sure they are trying to avoid the massive amounts of calls they could receive from older generation iPhones.

Luckily for me (in the scenario you mentioned) I purchased the phones from friends, so getting them to do that wouldn't be a big problem.

Eager to see what reports start filtering in.

Thanks,
B

----------

Specific to your thread? No.
Random? We can put a man on the moon but we still can't put metal in the microwave. What's up with that?!

We haven't put a man on the moon in quite a while.
I put metal in the microwave daily.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
I agree. Will have to see how it goes. I think you are right in that there might be some loop holes, but as other commenters have mentioned, I'm sure they are trying to avoid the massive amounts of calls they could receive from older generation iPhones.

Luckily for me (in the scenario you mentioned) I purchased the phones from friends, so getting them to do that wouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks,
B

Oh, I see.
So if they were purchased on a friends account when they are off contract and if your friend is still with AT&T all they would need to do is call.
I dont see why not.

Arisian
Apr 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
Oh, I see.
So if they were purchased on a friends account when they are off contract and if your friend is still with AT&T all they would need to do is call.
I dont see why not.

The process is to just call in and share your IMEI number with them and then update the phone in iTunes? Have there been reports yet of the process people have been able to (successfully) go through?

Wonder if I'm going to have issues w/ the phones currently being located overseas.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 02:34 PM
The process is to just call in and share your IMEI number with them and then update the phone in iTunes? Have there been reports yet of the process people have been able to (successfully) go through?

Wonder if I'm going to have issues w/ the phones currently being located overseas.

I dont think it matters where the phone is as long as they have the IMEI to enter in the unlock database. But lets wait and see how everyone else makes out.

braddick
Apr 8, 2012, 02:35 PM

Thanks,
B

----------

We haven't put a man on the moon in quite a while.
I put metal in the microwave daily.

OK, okay. . . But not all of us can afford a brand new microwave on a daily basis...

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 02:37 PM
OK, okay. . . But not all of us can afford a brand new microwave on a daily basis...

In China they're dirt cheap:D

braddick
Apr 8, 2012, 02:39 PM
^
True.

But I don't live in China.

teejusb
Apr 8, 2012, 02:55 PM
Now instead of making a new thread I thought I would just post this here.

I REALLY want to unlock the phone as I will be using my iPhone abroad in a few months, and now that AT&T allows it, I want to take them up on this offer. I have a 3GS and my contract expired last October. I've been jailbroken (not unlocked) for a while now, but if I want to go to AT&T to unlock my phone, should I remove my jailbreak or something? I'm running 4.3.3 right now if it makes a difference.

Applejuiced
Apr 8, 2012, 03:17 PM
Now instead of making a new thread I thought I would just post this here.

I REALLY want to unlock the phone as I will be using my iPhone abroad in a few months, and now that AT&T allows it, I want to take them up on this offer. I have a 3GS and my contract expired last October. I've been jailbroken (not unlocked) for a while now, but if I want to go to AT&T to unlock my phone, should I remove my jailbreak or something? I'm running 4.3.3 right now if it makes a difference.

All you gotta do is call them.
I don't think they do it at AT&T stores.

Minhimalism
Apr 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
I dont think it matters where the phone is as long as they have the IMEI to enter in the unlock database. But lets wait and see how everyone else makes out.

If the process ends up being that easy I'm going to have a blast with a bunch of my friends.. oh man haha. We'll see though!

Arisian
Apr 9, 2012, 01:39 AM
^
True.

But I don't live in China.

I live at a microwave production plant...

I'm so lucky.

braddick
Apr 9, 2012, 01:44 AM
I live at a microwave production plant...

I'm so lucky.

Yes.
And, if you're asked to count to twelve you have enough fingers and thumbs to be able to do so.

TypeMRT
Apr 9, 2012, 10:47 AM
The unlock requires you to backup and then restore. Sounds like we'll lose the jailbreak if Apple isn't signing 5.0.1 anymore. Right?

Sine Qua Non
Apr 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
Some AT&T reps are just telling some people that they need to do a restore.

In reality, you just sync with iTunes for iPhones running anything below 5.0.0. Nothing is required for iOS 5.0.0 and above.

In any case, SAVE SHSH so you don't get forced into a version of iOS that doesn't have an untethered JB.

dhlizard
Apr 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
The unlock requires you to backup and then restore. Sounds like we'll lose the jailbreak if Apple isn't signing 5.0.1 anymore. Right?

You should be able to just deactivate the phone using Redsn0w or SAM, then plug it into iTunes for a reactivation and the unlock should attach.

Of course a sim is needed to reactivate.

jw6961
Apr 9, 2012, 11:12 AM

I have a jailbroken 3GS running 5.0.1 and all I needed to do was connect the phone to iTunes & it gave me the "Congratulations" message. Didn't need to restore or lose my jailbreak.

ya1950
Apr 9, 2012, 11:28 AM
I just did this for 2 phones. One, a 2G, had a AT&T contract many years ago. The other a jailbroken 4 that was was never on a AT&T contract. I called them, spoke to a representative and explained that I did not have a cellular number for either phone. She took the IMEI for both phones and after a long wait issued case numbers for both. She promised that the unlock proceedure will be sent by email within a week. Hope this helps.

Thoughts?

bradl
Apr 9, 2012, 02:06 PM

You should be able to just deactivate the phone using Redsn0w or SAM, then plug it into iTunes for a reactivation and the unlock should attach.

Of course a sim is needed to reactivate.

Okay.. so let me get this straight, and see if it applies to me.

I have an iPhone 4S, running iOS 5.0 (9A334; battery life is great for me/no reason to upgrade), baseband 1.0.11. Currently jailbroken as well, via greenp0ison. If I were to pay the ETF then ask for it to be unlocked, I could deactivate the phone with Redsn0w? If so, when I plug it in, I should still be on 5.0 to apply greenp0ison again, right?

BL.

dhlizard
Apr 9, 2012, 02:34 PM
Okay.. so let me get this straight, and see if it applies to me.

I have an iPhone 4S, running iOS 5.0 (9A334; battery life is great for me/no reason to upgrade), baseband 1.0.11. Currently jailbroken as well, via greenp0ison. If I were to pay the ETF then ask for it to be unlocked, I could deactivate the phone with Redsn0w? If so, when I plug it in, I should still be on 5.0 to apply greenp0ison again, right?

BL.

You would not need to re-JB. Just re-activate with any AT&T sim, active or inactive.

filex
Apr 9, 2012, 02:43 PM
I have iphone 3G unlocked using ipad baseband and ultrash0w. Since ATT is offering official unlock, is it possible to get official unlock with out bricking the phone? Or should I should keep it as is?

TIA.

Applejuiced
Apr 9, 2012, 02:58 PM
I have iphone 3G unlocked using ipad baseband and ultrash0w. Since ATT is offering official unlock, is it possible to get official unlock with out bricking the phone? Or should I should keep it as is?

TIA.

The damage has already being done when you installed the ipad bb.
You still wont be able to restore to stock firmware, GPS disabled etc....
Its pointless to try to offically unlock it IMO but up to you.
If you havent installed the ipad bb then I would say yes.

weaselmtl
Apr 9, 2012, 07:42 PM
Anyone ask if AT&T will unlock an in contract phone for international use only? In other words, it's still locked to AT&T in the US but it can be used abroad.

labman
Apr 9, 2012, 08:32 PM
Anyone ask if AT&T will unlock an in contract phone for international use only? In other words, it's still locked to AT&T in the US but it can be used abroad.

Go ahead and try but I doubt you have any luck. according to the 1 old day policy they will only unlock out of contract iPhone.

Applejuiced
Apr 9, 2012, 08:37 PM

Nope.
It's either fully unlocked or AT&T locked.

TriJetHero
Apr 9, 2012, 09:53 PM
According to this article quotee by @MN they unlock comitment free purchased phones as well, which does makes sense.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/06/in-response-to-rising-number-of-complaints-att-is-unlocking-iphones/

I gave AT&T a call on their international number, the request is now with the tech department.....

Arisian
Apr 10, 2012, 01:31 AM
According to this article quotee by @MN they unlock comitment free purchased phones as well, which does makes sense.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/06/in-response-to-rising-number-of-complaints-att-is-unlocking-iphones/

I gave AT&T a call on their international number, the request is now with the tech department.....

what's their international number, I've googled it a few times and can't seem to find it...

------
never mind, I've found it.

I explained to the woman that they were NOT my iPhones and that I purchased them from friends. She said she needed the phone number and the IMEI number, but that there systems were down until 6:30am EST time US.

She totally understood my situation and let me know that it wasn't a big deal.

I'll call back w/ that info in about 3 hours and report back here what I find.

musicmax
Apr 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
I have a jailbroken 3GS running 5.0.1 and all I needed to do was connect the phone to iTunes & it gave me the "Congratulations" message. Didn't need to restore or lose my jailbreak.

What kind of SIM did you have installed when you plugged in? ATT/T-Mobile/other/none?

This is exactly my configuration (3GS, new BootRom, stock 5.0.1 + redsn0w JB but not unlocked) and I want to make sure I retain my JB through the unlock.

Thanks.

Arisian
Apr 10, 2012, 10:20 AM
Just as an update.

I called the international number for AT&T, explained that I lived in China and that I purchased two iPhone 4's from friends of mine. I told the representative that I didn't have an active number because they were second hand purchases.

She said that it was no problem at all and that all I needed was the old phone number on the account(s) that these phones were originally tied to. After that I let her know the IMEI numbers and she said it would be unlocked soon.

When I pushed her about the unlock dates, she said that they would all be sent out on April 18th. I then kindly asked her what was the reason for the date - April 18th. She said that it was because they are having to get all of their unlocks from Apple and that "...because the iPhone 4's are newer, they are going to take a bit longer to get from Apple. Plus we are getting thousands of calls about this." Whether that reasoning is entirely true, I'm not really educated on the inner workings of this process.

Just as another fyi, I made four calls today - two to the American number and two to the international number, the international number was much easier, faster, and friendlier and they didn't seem to care about my location. If you run into issues, I'd suggest at least giving the int'l number a try.

Hope that helps someone, and here's hoping that come next Monday I actually have phones again!

Cheers.
B

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
Just as an update.

I called the international number for AT&T, explained that I lived in China and that I purchased two iPhone 4's from friends of mine. I told the representative that I didn't have an active number because they were second hand purchases.

She said that it was no problem at all and that all I needed was the old phone number on the account(s) that these phones were originally tied to. After that I let her know the IMEI numbers and she said it would be unlocked soon.

When I pushed her about the unlock dates, she said that they would all be sent out on April 18th. I then kindly asked her what was the reason for the date - April 18th. She said that it was because they are having to get all of their unlocks from Apple and that "...because the iPhone 4's are newer, they are going to take a bit longer to get from Apple. Plus we are getting thousands of calls about this." Whether that reasoning is entirely true, I'm not really educated on the inner workings of this process.

Just as another fyi, I made four calls today - two to the American number and two to the international number, the international number was much easier, faster, and friendlier and they didn't seem to care about my location. If you run into issues, I'd suggest at least giving the int'l number a try.

Hope that helps someone, and here's hoping that come next Monday I actually have phones again!

Cheers.
B

FWIW the unlocks on my iPhone 4 and 4S were pushed through instantly when I talked to business tech support.

dhlizard
Apr 10, 2012, 12:42 PM
FWIW the unlocks on my iPhone 4 and 4S were pushed through instantly when I talked to business tech support.

Were they contract free phones ?

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
Were they contract free phones ?

iPhone 4 was the phone on my line before upgrading to the 4S, so it's technically off contract. The 4S was a warranty replacement for an on-contract phone.

dhlizard
Apr 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
iPhone 4 was the phone on my line before upgrading to the 4S, so it's technically off contract. The 4S was a warranty replacement for an on-contract phone.

Great that your unlocks got pushed immediately.
I have the same situation as you with iPhone4 replaced by 4S.
Mine did not get pushed immediately (and I have a business account also)

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
Great that your unlocks got pushed immediately.
I have the same situation as you with iPhone4 replaced by 4S.
Mine did not get pushed immediately (and I have a business account also)

My initial attempts when calling them were not successful. With reference to the iPhone 4, they were saying that even though I upgraded, it was not yet eligible for an unlock since it was not used for 2 years.

Talked to the chat reps and they unlocked both phones with no problems (it did take some time for her to "research" the iPhone 4 eligibility though - almost an hour.. but by the time the representative told me she was sending me the email, I got the email and the phone was unlocked)

TriJetHero
Apr 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
AT&T chat is not available to non-subscribers

Called the 1-800 tech nr today, got a case number, same story as others, april 18th D-Day….

Arisian
Apr 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
wish mine had been pushed through immediately.

Have we identified the difference between those being pushed through immediately and those waiting for a while?

B

Applejuiced
Apr 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hey as long as they unlock them I can wait a week.
Im waiting on hold with AT&T chat to see if I can get my old i4 unlocked.
Lets see how it goes.

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
wish mine had been pushed through immediately.

Have we identified the difference between those being pushed through immediately and those waiting for a while?

B

I don't know. I'm a business customer with a US government FAN (department of veteran affairs).

dhlizard
Apr 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
My initial attempts when calling them were not successful. With reference to the iPhone 4, they were saying that even though I upgraded, it was not yet eligible for an unlock since it was not used for 2 years.

Talked to the chat reps and they unlocked both phones with no problems (it did take some time for her to "research" the iPhone 4 eligibility though - almost an hour.. but by the time the representative told me she was sending me the email, I got the email and the phone was unlocked)

My 1st and 2nd calls got the same response-must be 2 yrs old to be unlocked.
On 3rd call, I got hold of a CSR who actually had gone to unlock training by AT&T, she verified it was eligible and sent the case # fairly quickly.

Arisian
Apr 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hey as long as they unlock them I can wait a week.
Im waiting on hold with AT&T chat to see if I can get my old i4 unlocked.
Lets see how it goes.

I totally agree with that. My representative didn't put up a fuss at all, and I just made sure to tell her the honest to God truth about buying second hand iPhones from friends.

Don't mind waiting a week, but would be curious to know why some are being pushed through immediately while others are on a week hold.

Good luck on chat!

TriJetHero
Apr 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
Maybe because some are or have been AT&T subscribers, they would have a record of what phone they have and when they are out of contract.

They can't check secondhand phones or commitment-free phones. That has to go through apple i guess and might take a bit longer.

Applejuiced
Apr 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ok that was easy.
I just did it over chat.
It took about 5 minutes. I told her Im on contract with my current 4S and would like to unlock my old iphone 4 I have laying around. She asked for the IMEI number, asked if I had the phone replaced cause she couldnt find it since it wasnt the original one activated on my line. I told her yes I had it replaced with applecare that's probably why should couldnt find it in her system. she said it will take about 24 hours for the unlock to process and I already received an email from AT&T stating they issued an authorized unlock for my iphone.

tonie
Apr 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
Does the online chat ask for SS# or DOB? Because I'm about to ask my friend if I can use his account to unlock it.

Applejuiced
Apr 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
Does the online chat ask for SS# or DOB? Because I'm about to ask my friend if I can use his account to unlock it.

They ask for the last 4 of the account holders social security number.
They might ask to verify the name and adress too.

ericrwalker
Apr 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
Ok that was easy.
I just did it over chat.
It took about 5 minutes. I told her Im on contract with my current 4S and would like to unlock my old iphone 4 I have laying around. She asked for the IMEI number, asked if I had the phone replaced cause she couldnt find it since it wasnt the original one activated on my line. I told her yes I had it replaced with applecare that's probably why should couldnt find it in her system. she said it will take about 24 hours for the unlock to process and I already received an email from AT&T stating they issued an authorized unlock for my iphone.

So did you give her the 4S IMEI number or the iPhone 4 number? :D

labman
Apr 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Ok that was easy.
I just did it over chat.

wow does that mean that anybody might be able to get there phone unlocked if they did exchanged it with Apple? seems like there are allot of loose ends with the new policy and allot of wiggle room depending on who you talk to at AT&T. I feel like calling and trying my IMEI from my 4S and telling them it's my I4.

Applejuiced
Apr 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
wow does that mean that anybody might be able to get there phone unlocked if they did exchanged it with Apple? seems like there are allot of loose ends with the new policy and allot of wiggle room depending on who you talk to at AT&T. I feel like calling and trying my IMEI from my 4S and telling them it's my I4.

Yes, I think many times it's up to the rep.
If you get a good one they will do it.
But I wouldn't try giving then false info cause then they won't try to help you at all. As soon as they punch in te imei they know what kind of phone is it and under what account it was originally purchased and activated and many more details.

So did you give her the 4S IMEI number or the iPhone 4 number? :D

No, they never asked for the 4S imei, I just gave them the i4 imei.
They would know either way though.

labman
Apr 10, 2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, I think many times it's up to the rep.
If you get a good one they will do it.
But I wouldn't try giving then false info cause then they won't try to help you at all. As soon as they punch in te imei they know what kind of phone is it and under what account it was originally purchased and activated and many more details.

probably the bad karma alone would stop me any way! it's just nice to see at&t finely lighting up. this is probably going to effect software unlocks future too.

bradl
Apr 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
this is probably going to effect software unlocks future too.

No doubt.

With the exception of the impatient, this just made MuscleNerd's software unlock rather obsolete..

BL.

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 08:00 PM

I did successfully unlock my 4S yesterday, it is definitely possible. Don't try to pass it off as a 4 - they'll know immediately.

Applejuiced
Apr 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
I did successfully unlock my 4S yesterday, it is definitely possible. Don't try to pass it off as a 4 - they'll know immediately.

Is your 4S still under contract and locked to AT&T or did you buy it full price but was still locked?

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
Is your 4S still under contract and locked to AT&T or did you buy it full price but was still locked?

Still under contract - not that I told them that.

Applejuiced
Apr 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
Just restored it and activated it and got the message.
I'm good to go:D

terraphantm
Apr 10, 2012, 10:49 PM
No doubt.

With the exception of the impatient, this just made MuscleNerd's software unlock rather obsolete..

BL.

Are there any other major carriers (in other countries) that refuse to unlock iPhones?

I guess a software unlock could still be useful for Verizon and Sprint 4S' (since they don't support US carriers even when unlocked)

----------

Just restored it and activated it and got the message.
I'm good to go:D

Congrats - enjoy!

TC25
Apr 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
With the exception of the impatient, this just made MuscleNerd's software unlock rather obsolete.
The software unlock was obsolete when Apple started selling unlocked iPhones.

TriJetHero
Apr 11, 2012, 05:36 AM

They did from the start, just not in the USA.

terraphantm
Apr 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
It's obsolete simply because there hasnt been a real update in almost 2 years. If they supported newer basebands, more people would use them. There are still plenty of people who can't get unlocked iPhones.

TriJetHero
Apr 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
from MN

"MuscleNerd @MuscleNerd

For everyone enjoying new AT&T policy: use redsn0w's "Deactivate" option on "Jailbreak" screen to avoid restoring and losing jailbreak"

You can also use SAM to deactivate, easy to check if they already pushed the unlock through, if they haven't just restore your old activation in SAM

Applejuiced
Apr 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
from MN

"MuscleNerd @MuscleNerd

For everyone enjoying new AT&T policy: use redsn0w's "Deactivate" option on "Jailbreak" screen to avoid restoring and losing jailbreak"

You can also use SAM to deactivate, easy to check if they already pushed the unlock through, if they haven't just restore your old activation in SAM

That's what I did. Even though my i4 has 5.0.1 full blobs.
I deactivated with redsnow and then plugged to iTunes.

OceanView
Apr 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Still under contract - not that I told them that.

How is this possible?
The iphone 4s is only 6 months old and unless you paid for early termination it would seem impossible.

terraphantm
Apr 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
How is this possible?
The iphone 4s is only 6 months old and unless you paid for early termination it would seem impossible.

One can buy an iPhone 4S off contract if they really wanted to. I let them believe that my 4S was one such example. It helped that my particular 4S was replaced once under warranty, so the IMEI didn't match anything in AT&T's contract database.

I can prove that my 4S is unlocked if you really want, but I'm not sure how I would go about proving that this specific phone is still under contract

thelatinist
Apr 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
So I've submitted my request to unlock my off-contract 3GS via tech support chat. If I understand correctly, I need to deactivate my phone to get it to re-activate and unlock? And I'll have to keep doing that every time I want to check if my unlock has gone through, since it is getting activated every time I connect to iTunes?

ericrwalker
Apr 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
One can buy an iPhone 4S off contract if they really wanted to. I let them believe that my 4S was one such example. It helped that my particular 4S was replaced once under warranty, so the IMEI didn't match anything in AT&T's contract database.

I can prove that my 4S is unlocked if you really want, but I'm not sure how I would go about proving that this specific phone is still under contract

I'd be happy to buy one off contract, if they sold me service at a cheaper price since they are not subsidizing my phone. (AT&T, and I want my phone unlocked to use when I travel overseas).

thelatinist
Apr 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'd be happy to buy one off contract, if they sold me service at a cheaper price since they are not subsidizing my phone. (AT&T, and I want my phone unlocked to use when I travel overseas).

There are plenty of MVNO's out there offering cheaper service on AT&T's network. If you're willing to pay the unsubsidized price for an unlocked phone, you could try one of them.

OceanView
Apr 11, 2012, 01:41 PM

OK, that makes sense.
You don't have to prove it. I just didn't know the facts specific to your case.
Thanks

Applejuiced
Apr 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
So I've submitted my request to unlock my off-contract 3GS via tech support chat. If I understand correctly, I need to deactivate my phone to get it to re-activate and unlock? And I'll have to keep doing that every time I want to check if my unlock has gone through, since it is getting activated every time I connect to iTunes?

That's what I did with my iphone.
Deactivated with redsnow and then plugged it to itunes and got the congradulations your iphone is unlocked message.
Did they give you a date of when they think it will complete.
I know they send you an email also once the unlocked IMEI has been submited. So I wouldnt sit there and try 10 times a day but wait till they contact you or till the date they provided.

ericrwalker
Apr 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
There are plenty of MVNO's out there offering cheaper service on AT&T's network. If you're willing to pay the unsubsidized price for an unlocked phone, you could try one of them.

Well, I have been using AT&T since 1999 (cellular one/cingular) Except for when I was stationed in Korea and Iraq. I have always enjoyed their customer service and have always had good cell service. I would like to stay a loyal customer of theirs, but I want my phone unlocked.

AT&T tells me the only way for them to unlock my phone is to pay the ETF, well if I pay the ETF I will leave AT&T. I don't see why they can't unlock me, and if I drop them charge me the ETF anyway. They would rather lose me as a customer?

I travel to Japan often and would like to be able to put in a Japanese sim card.

If they don't unlock my phone I will leave AT&T and go pre-paid or use T-Mobile.

I don't see the point of locking my phone. If I were to break my iPhone I would still be under contract just like if they unlock my phone for foreign travel.

bradl
Apr 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
Well, I have been using AT&T since 1999 (cellular one/cingular) Except for when I was stationed in Korea and Iraq. I have always enjoyed their customer service and have always had good cell service. I would like to stay a loyal customer of theirs, but I want my phone unlocked.

AT&T tells me the only way for them to unlock my phone is to pay the ETF, well if I pay the ETF I will leave AT&T. I don't see why they can't unlock me, and if I drop them charge me the ETF anyway. They would rather lose me as a customer?

I travel to Japan often and would like to be able to put in a Japanese sim card.

If they don't unlock my phone I will leave AT&T and go pre-paid or use T-Mobile.

I don't see the point of locking my phone. If I were to break my iPhone I would still be under contract just like if they unlock my phone for foreign travel.

Are you still enlisted, and may be looking at a deployment overseas? If so, take advantage of ATT's other offer of unlocking your iPhone if you are military overseas. That may work for you better.

BL.

ericrwalker
Apr 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
Are you still enlisted, and may be looking at a deployment overseas? If so, take advantage of ATT's other offer of unlocking your iPhone if you are military overseas. That may work for you better.

BL.

No, I got out about 6 months ago. I am almost tempted to "transfer responsibility" to a deployed friend, and transfer account back after the unlock.

I still have plenty of close friends in, and my brother.

thelatinist
Apr 11, 2012, 05:26 PM
That's what I did with my iphone.
Deactivated with redsnow and then plugged it to itunes and got the congradulations your iphone is unlocked message.
Did they give you a date of when they think it will complete.
I know they send you an email also once the unlocked IMEI has been submited. So I wouldnt sit there and try 10 times a day but wait till they contact you or till the date they provided.

Ah, okay. I will wait until I get the email, then. They said 5-7 days, but I've heard many people say their unlock went through quicker than that.

Djlild7hina
Apr 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm getting my 4S unlocked. have to wait till the 17th though for the email. The 4S was signed on my mom's line but the IMEI is on my line which is out of contract so they said they could unlock the 4S but not my old 4.

TC25
Apr 11, 2012, 07:21 PM
There are still plenty of people who can't get unlocked iPhones.

Who can't get an unlocked iPhone?

forcetactic
Apr 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
I'm getting my 4S unlocked. have to wait till the 17th though for the email. The 4S was signed on my mom's line but the IMEI is on my line which is out of contract so they said they could unlock the 4S but not my old 4.

So your mom bought 4s on contract meaning that the phone itself was technically on contract for another year. How many reps did you go through before they submitted unlock for 4s. I'm curious bc I'm using my moms 4s that she got from her line but my line is not on contract

terraphantm
Apr 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Who can't get an unlocked iPhone?

Anyone who's still under contract and can't afford to spend $650+ to buy a factory unlocked phone.

dread
Apr 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
from MN

"MuscleNerd @MuscleNerd

I have redsnow but don't see a deactivate option. Do i need to put it into dfu mode first? I have a preserved baseband and dont want to lose it just in case. What is the SAM method.

dhlizard
Apr 11, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have redsnow but don't see a deactivate option. Do i need to put it into dfu mode first? I have a preserved baseband and dont want to lose it just in case. What is the SAM method.

It is on the jailbreak panel.
Yes, it requires pwned DFU

dread
Apr 11, 2012, 08:55 PM

So am I rejailbreaking the phone. Will this update my baseband?

thelatinist
Apr 11, 2012, 09:25 PM

It didn't require pwned DFU for me. I just put it in DFU mode. Of course, I have an old-bootrom 3GS, but that shouldn't really have affected it, should it?

Dread - you are rejailbreaking, but you are not upgrading your firmware. Your baseband should not be touched.

But you can also use SAM, which is a Cydia package that will allow you to activate and deactivate your phone at will.

Djlild7hina
Apr 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
So your mom bought 4s on contract meaning that the phone itself was technically on contract for another year. How many reps did you go through before they submitted unlock for 4s. I'm curious bc I'm using my moms 4s that she got from her line but my line is not on contract

was the first rep for me

Arisian
Apr 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
Ah, okay. I will wait until I get the email, then. They said 5-7 days, but I've heard many people say their unlock went through quicker than that.

I'm in the same boat - just wondering what the difference is between those that they made wait and those that they processed immediately.

Let us know when yours goes through. I got the obligatory April 18th unlock date.

dread
Apr 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
It didn't require pwned DFU for me. I just put it in DFU mode. Of course, I have an old-bootrom 3GS, but that shouldn't really have affected it, should it?

Dread - you are rejailbreaking, but you are not upgrading your firmware. Your baseband should not be touched.

But you can also use SAM, which is a Cydia package that will allow you to activate and deactivate your phone at will.

Thanks used SAM and it worked. My 3GS is unlocked despite never receiving an email and my jailbreak is intact. Thanks for the help.

TC25
Apr 12, 2012, 03:07 AM
Anyone who's still under contract and can't afford to spend $650+ to buy a factory unlocked phone.

IOW, it's not that they can't get an unlocked iPhone, it's they have chosen not to.

The simple fact is there are more alternatives now than there were a year ago to a software based unlock and with AT&Ts announcement, more factory unlocked phones will hit the used market.

terraphantm
Apr 12, 2012, 07:54 AM
IOW, it's not that they can't get an unlocked iPhone, it's they have chosen not to.

The simple fact is there are more alternatives now than there were a year ago to a software based unlock and with AT&Ts announcement, more factory unlocked phones will hit the used market.

Not being able to afford sometching isn't always a matter of choice. And fact of the matter is not being able to unlock through official means and not being able to afford a factory unlocked phone will create demand for an unofficial unlock. Heck, that was the exact situation here: AT&T refused to unlock and most couldn't afford to spend the large sums of money a factory unlocked phone required. The only difference now is that people off contract can unlock.

Clearly there's still some work being done with basebands with the new effort to save BBtickets (only necessary to downgrade baseband)

TC25
Apr 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
Not being able to afford sometching isn't always a matter of choice. And fact of the matter is not being able to unlock through official means and not being able to afford a factory unlocked phone will create demand for an unofficial unlock. Heck, that was the exact situation here: AT&T refused to unlock and most couldn't afford to spend the large sums of money a factory unlocked phone required. The only difference now is that people off contract can unlock.

Clearly there's still some work being done with basebands with the new effort to save BBtickets (only necessary to downgrade baseband)

The 'I can't afford it' excuse is bogus.

Considering the entire population of iPhone users, how many require an unlocked phone? A very small subset because there aren't that many circumstances/situations that require it.

The situation that apparently brought all this about was someone was moving from the US (ATT) to Canada and wanted to be able to use their iPhone there. Hardly a typical situation.

What's the other requirement? People who travel overseas. This is probably a bigger population than the people who move outside ATTs coverage area but still a very small subset of iPhone users. These people can afford to travel overseas but can't afford an unlocked phone? Right. :D

thelatinist
Apr 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
What difference does it make why people might still use a soft unlock, whether it's because they "choose" not to buy an unlocked phone, whether because they can't afford one, or any other reason. The fact is that there are a lot of people out there who could and will use a soft unlock if one is developed. Such an unlock is therefore not "obsolete."

terraphantm
Apr 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
The 'I can't afford it' excuse is bogus.

Considering the entire population of iPhone users, how many require an unlocked phone? A very small subset because there aren't that many circumstances/situations that require it.

The situation that apparently brought all this about was someone was moving from the US (ATT) to Canada and wanted to be able to use their iPhone there. Hardly a typical situation.

What's the other requirement? People who travel overseas. This is probably a bigger population than the people who move outside ATTs coverage area but still a very small subset of iPhone users. These people can afford to travel overseas but can't afford an unlocked phone? Right. :D

Someone who bought a phone off craigslist and wants to use it on a cheaper regional carrier perhaps? Clearly you've not experienced financial hardship otherwise you wouldn't be calling it bogus. To some people that extra $50/month savings can go a long way. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about a few hundred bucks here and there, but most aren't as lucky.

vietalogy
Apr 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
No, I got out about 6 months ago. I am almost tempted to "transfer responsibility" to a deployed friend, and transfer account back after the unlock.

I still have plenty of close friends in, and my brother.

I would just sell your current iPhone and just buy a factory unlocked iPhone since you travel overseas a lot.

scirica
Apr 12, 2012, 04:14 PM

I believe you can use SAM to deactivate and re-activate your phone and you'll be good to go. Someone confirm?

TriJetHero
Apr 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
I believe you can use SAM to deactivate and re-activate your phone and you'll be good to go. Someone confirm?

Confirmed and already posted earlier:-)

thelatinist
Apr 12, 2012, 05:16 PM

Yes, provided that you meant by this only that you deactivate using SAM. The reactivation should be done through iTunes so that you can confirm your unlock.

scirica
Apr 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yes, provided that you meant by this only that you deactivate using SAM. The reactivation should be done through iTunes so that you can confirm your unlock.

So does this require a restore or just deactivate with SAM, then plug into iTunes and wait for the magic?

Applejuiced
Apr 12, 2012, 06:52 PM
So does this require a restore or just deactivate with SAM, then plug into iTunes and wait for the magic?

Just deactivate with Sam or redsnow.

ERIC273
Apr 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
This entire thing is being made blown up to seem like anyone can terminate their contract at any time!

thelatinist
Apr 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
This entire thing is being made blown up to seem like anyone can terminate their contract at any time!

First, I've seen nobody even imply anything of the sort. Second, anyone can terminate his contract at any time simply by paying the ETF.

Eternal 28
Apr 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
Will SAM work for iPhone 4s or only iPhone 4 and 3GS?

dread
Apr 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
So I used the SAM method on my iPhone 4 and I never got an unlock message but I am pretty sure its unlocked. My wife's iPhone 4 got the message but mine didn't. However, when I inserted my foreign sim before my wife's phone got unlocked iTunes would not work with my phone and I got a message saying insert correct sim. Now I do not get that message.

If I deactivate now and reactivate with iTunes I get a 1664 error about carrier settings not loading. I'm guessing because iTunes can find carrier settings for this foreign (african) sim card. Can I be sure my phone is unlocked?

dread
Apr 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
I just tried to do the SAM with my 3gs again and it again told me my iPhone is unlocked. Any idea why my iPhone 4 will not give me that message and I get a 1644 error stating iTunes cannot check for carrier settings.

dhlizard
Apr 12, 2012, 10:40 PM

Got my AT&T email tonight. Used SAM to deactivate (used all 3 buttons), rebooted, Plugged into iTunes, Message popped up instantly.
Tested with T-Mobile sim

Arisian
Apr 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
Got my AT&T email tonight. Used SAM to deactivate (used all 3 buttons), rebooted, Plugged into iTunes, Message popped up instantly.
Tested with T-Mobile sim

I got mine as well - but they didn't tell me which account/phone it was for or if it was for both.

Fun.

h4lp m3
Apr 12, 2012, 11:27 PM

Yea, but how do they do it?

Arisian
Apr 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
Yea, but how do they do it?

how do they unlock the phones?

TriJetHero
Apr 13, 2012, 01:13 AM
Didn't get an email (yet) but….

It is unlocked!!!!!

Tried everyday from tuesday on, just now deactivated with SAM and the congrats message popped up!!!

Nice way to start the day.

Edit:
Removed Ultrasn0w et voilŕ, Tmobile popped right up, have to think about restoring and updating radio.. :-)
A great many thanks to Musclenerd/Planetbeing for Ultrasn0w!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TriJetHero
Apr 13, 2012, 07:39 AM
I dispute it!

For your information, there is a world outside of the USA (and Canada) :-)

Musclenerd and Planetbeing had a good reason to develop the JB and unlock for the IP4, freedom of choice has something to do with it.

I bought an IP4 when it wasn't available in Europe yet, let alone unlocked, so many people relied on the ultrasn0w unlock abroad, but also in the second handmarket in the USA, just putting it down to unwillingness is kind of naive, lately with the availabillty of unlocked phones (at a price) the unlock will indeed be less of a priority, especially with the still publicly unjailbroken iPad3

TC25
Apr 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
... the unlock will indeed be less of a priority, especially with the still publicly unjailbroken iPad3

Which is EXACTLY what I said. So, what are you disputing? And I am referring to the market NOW, not when the iPhone4 came out. And buying an iPhone for use in a market where it's not officially being sold, yeah, that's a real typical use with a huge number of people clamoring for an unlock.

I give up. Too many people stuck in their conventional wisdom world and who can't even read and understand simple posts and then resort to name calling.

terraphantm
Apr 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
Which is EXACTLY what I said. So, what are you disputing? And I am referring to the market NOW, not when the iPhone4 came out. And buying an iPhone for use in a market where it's not officially being sold, yeah, that's a real typical use with a huge number of people clamoring for an unlock.

I give up. Too many people stuck in their conventional wisdom world and who can't even read and understand simple posts and then resort to name calling.

Less of a priority does not mean obsolete. I dont see a single instance of name calling in this thread either

TriJetHero
Apr 13, 2012, 10:04 AM

? that's an easy "i give up" as soon as somebody disputes your "opinion" together with some valid arguments.

To refute some of your assumptions:

"The situation that apparently brought all this about was someone was moving from the US (ATT) to Canada and wanted to be able to use their iPhone there. Hardly a typical situation."
For the dev's it's more about freedom of choice than any other reason.

"The 'I can't afford it' excuse is bogus."
Maybe for you, you are not everybody though.

"These people can afford to travel overseas but can't afford an unlocked phone? Right."
Some can some can't, but why pay extra if you can have it for lower cost?

You are right that we'll see more unlocked phones entering into the secondhand market, but there is still a price difference in the USA of around $200 for a new unlocked iPhone or a secondhand with software/hardware unlock.
In Brasil a new IP4 8GB is $1000 or the 4S 64GB for $1900….
Like i said the world is bigger than you might think.

In my case i have an old contract with grandfather rights, not minutes, but value bundle, when roaming i pay everything out of the bundle instead of the extra roaming charges on top of the bundle with minutes, and i do roam a lot.

Freedom of choice, keep that AND have an iPhone, instead of an iPhone with a new very expensive minute and data plan.

Btw half of the postings in this section are about unlocking and BB issues.

I consider the forum as in information databank and try to help people if they have problems, not to complain or call names

freespeed
Apr 13, 2012, 01:09 PM

My friend got his phone unlocked immediately and it was still under contract. It was an iPhone 4 that was still under contract. They initially said no, but I guess he really knows how to complain because an hour later they unlocked it for him.

thelatinist
Apr 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
Still no email, but I just tried it and it's unlocked. Only took two days, not the five to seven the agent quoted. Now I will have a use for my old 3GS next time I travel (which, with an infant in the house, looks to be some time off...)

Wilsonium
Apr 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
Has anyone gone thru this process yet and successfully used a USA GSM carrier? I'm curious to know if this is a full carrier unlock or a partial unlock to allow international use but prevent domestic use. And FWIW, all they do is request that your IMEI be added to the whitelist at Apple. Which is why you need to connect to iTunes so it can reach out and check that list. When you insert a new SIM from a different carrier it should trigger a new activation cycle and that's when it checks.

So... can anyone confirm this is a complete unlock?

thelatinist
Apr 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
Has anyone gone thru this process yet and successfully used a USA GSM carrier? I'm curious to know if this is a full carrier unlock or a partial unlock to allow international use but prevent domestic use.

I have not used yet used it on a domestic carrier, but if you'll read back just a few posts you'll see that dhlizard has.

And FWIW, all they do is request that your IMEI be added to the whitelist at Apple. Which is why you need to connect to iTunes so it can reach out and check that list. When you insert a new SIM from a different carrier it should trigger a new activation cycle and that's when it checks.

Umm, I'm pretty sure we understand how a factory unlock works. Also, it does it any time the phone is activated, which is upon restore or after deactivation using SAM. Inserting a new SIM does not require a new activation.

dhlizard
Apr 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have not used yet used it on a domestic carrier, but if you'll read back just a few posts you'll see that dhlizard has.

My phone is GSM, so once unlocked via IMEI, it allows the use of any GSM sim worldwide.

A CMDA phone unlock via IMEI only allows the use of International GSM carriers, not any in the US.

@ Wilsonium - Not sure which model you have.

Applejuiced
Apr 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
Has anyone gone thru this process yet and successfully used a USA GSM carrier? I'm curious to know if this is a full carrier unlock or a partial unlock to allow international use but prevent domestic use.

Its not a partial unlock like CDMA iphones sold by Verizon and Sprint USA.
Its a full factory unlock and all US or any carriers GSM sims will work.

Sine Qua Non
Apr 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Has anyone gone thru this process yet and successfully used a USA GSM carrier? I'm curious to know if this is a full carrier unlock or a partial unlock to allow international use but prevent domestic use. And FWIW, all they do is request that your IMEI be added to the whitelist at Apple. Which is why you need to connect to iTunes so it can reach out and check that list. When you insert a new SIM from a different carrier it should trigger a new activation cycle and that's when it checks.

It's a full unlock. I put in a T-Mobile SIM after getting the "Congrats you're unlocked" message from iTunes and completed a call.

JAMS2
Apr 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
I never did get the "Congratulations you are unlocked" message but inserted my Verizon sim card to check and it popped up with AT&T and T-Mobile as possible carriers, so I assume it is all good. Anyone else not get the unlocked message after going through the process?

terraphantm
Apr 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
I never did get the "Congratulations you are unlocked" message but inserted my Verizon sim card to check and it popped up with AT&T and T-Mobile as possible carriers, so I assume it is all good. Anyone else not get the unlocked message after going through the process?

Just to be clear, the congrats message only appears in iTunes. It doesn't mean much though. As long as your iphone lets you activate non AT&T sim cards, it's unlocked

If you really want, you can decrypt your wildcard_record.plist and look at the list of allowed IMSIs. If it's all question marks, you're good to go.

thelatinist
Apr 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
I finally got the email from AT&T. Guess they're a little slow getting them out.

dhlizard
Apr 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
I finally got the email from AT&T. Guess they're a little slow getting them out.

I got 2 emails for 1 unlock, 24 hours apart ?
Go AT&T

terraphantm
Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
^
There is no incentive for AT&T to unlock iPhones that are physically not being used, with a contract on another iPhone. (Same phone number, different, newer iPhone.)

Most iPhones don't meet that requirement as many people, myself included, upgrade constantly and are rarely out of contract, thus not qualifying for an unlock at this time on our older, unused iPhones.
The new iPhone5 release will slow down even further the number of iPhones that qualify for an unlock as contracts are upgraded with the same line, newer iPhone.

Edited for clarification.

They unlocked my iPhone 4 without too much trouble. I told them that it was the phone I had before upgrading to the 4S on that line. I just had to wait a few minutes and it was unlocked.

braddick
Apr 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
Excellent!
I'm glad it worked out so seamlessly and easily for you.

terraphantm
Apr 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
Excellent!
I'm glad it worked out so seamlessly and easily for you.

My point is that the phone one upgraded from can be unlocked as per their policy; your statement that they don't meet the conditions is just plain wrong. There's no reason to expect them not to do it except in the case of misinformed representatives.

braddick
Apr 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
Sweet!
I appreciate you pointing out the deficiency of my argument.

To be fair, I based my first post on scattered and somewhat weak information that had been offered at that point along with my experience with calling 611.

We have now all had the luxury, along with AT&T, of processing additional and more accurate info. and sharing that updated data with others here.

thelatinist
Apr 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
To be fair, I based my first post on scattered and somewhat weak information that had been offered at that point along with my experience with calling 611.

It's not the information that was insufficient, it was your interpretation. We all had the same information: a clear statement from AT&T that the rest of us all interpreted correctly.

braddick
Apr 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Yes, you and many others interpreted correctly. I interpreted it, along with the AT&T rep I had on the phone on the eighth, incorrectly.

Well established now.

Next?

dhlizard
Apr 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Well, I can attest to the fact the AT&T CSR's and Tech support folks were all way off base on the 1st day of unlocks.

I made 2 calls that day and was told both times my off contract iPhone4 would not be unlocked because it was not yet 2 years old.

Called back the next day, and was approved for the unlock by the 1st CSR with whom I spoke.

So AT&T had a learning curve on this also.

terraphantm
Apr 13, 2012, 10:55 PM
Sweet!
I appreciate you pointing out the deficiency of my argument.

We have now all had the luxury, along with AT&T, of processing additional and more accurate info. and sharing that updated data with others here.

Drop the sarcasm and the superiority act; just accept you were wrong. Your original post did not indicate that the information was merely based on your interpretation of your attempt to unlock, nor did it acknowledge the possibility of the information being incorrect. As such, it was worth targeting that specific post and refuting the claims made within said post based on the official statement from att and the unlocking experiences of many (including my own).

freespeed
Apr 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
Does anyone have a screenshot of what the "unlock complete" screen looks like?

terraphantm
Apr 14, 2012, 01:05 AM
Does anyone have a screenshot of what the "unlock complete" screen looks like?

http://i.imgur.com/FVZGtl.png (http://i.imgur.com/FVZGt.png)

TriJetHero
Apr 14, 2012, 01:21 AM
Also with some delay the AT&T email rolled in.

I'm going to restore to update the BB to get rid of the 1 bar signal issue when not using ultrasn0w.

Arisian
Apr 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
Both of my iPhones (two different previous owners) were unlocked this week, 5 days before they said I'd get the emails for them.

Both working perfecting under china unicom.

Cheers,
Brian

scirica
Apr 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
First, I've seen nobody even imply anything of the sort. Second, anyone can terminate his contract at any time simply by paying the ETF.

Exactly. Pretty straightforward!

freespeed
Apr 14, 2012, 05:40 PM

I'm looking for SAM, but can't find it in Cydia. Did you get it within the Cydia App?

weaselmtl
Apr 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Does the AT&T sim card need to be in the phone for iTunes to confirm the unlock? I keep mine out b/c I am in Canada and want to avoid the roaming $.

Applejuiced
Apr 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
Does the AT&T sim card need to be in the phone for iTunes to confirm the unlock? I keep mine out b/c I am in Canada and want to avoid the roaming $.

No, you can put in any carrier sim and it should activate if the unlock went through.

miss.manson
Apr 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
I bought my iPhone 4s off of eBay, will they unlock it? I paid full price for it.

terraphantm
Apr 16, 2012, 02:14 PM

If it's unlocked you should be able to activate with any sim.

ericrwalker
Apr 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
I bought my iPhone 4s off of eBay, will they unlock it? I paid full price for it.

Probably not, they will most likely tell you it's under contract on someone else's account.

miss.manson
Apr 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Probably not, they will most likely tell you it's under contract on someone else's account.

Its out of contract

ericrwalker
Apr 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
Its out of contract

They should do it then. Get your IMEI number and call them or go to AT&T live help chat online.

miss.manson
Apr 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
They should do it then. Get your IMEI number and call them or go to AT&T live help chat online.

They told me they made a case and they are forwarding it to Apple. I should receive and email or phone call from someone in 5-7 business days. I dont understand why it would take that long...?

dhlizard
Apr 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
They told me they made a case and they are forwarding it to Apple. I should receive and email or phone call from someone in 5-7 business days. I dont understand why it would take that long...?

We all waited some days, I think my wait was 4 days.

Qoo
Apr 16, 2012, 07:19 PM

4 days is nothing :mad:

my case i requested on 4/10 and i just did the online chat with the rep today and she told me not even 7 days yet.

i restore couple of times and nothing happen :mad:

Arisian
Apr 17, 2012, 10:44 AM

I waited three, got two unlocked emails... one didn't work at all.

:)

ericrwalker
Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
I gave up on an official unlock from AT&T and will look at Gevey Sim for when I am out of the country.

Here is the last email I got from Thomas Grey AT&T chairman

ATT is trying to work towards a solution that benefits everyone, a win, win. Hopefully the issue of unlocking for phones for international travel will be addressed in the coming months. In fact your case has been used as support for unlocking the iPhone for international travel. Although you didn’t benefit personally from the complaint, you suggestion has not fallen on deaf ears and is the basis of a very good solution for the future.

Qoo
Apr 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
I gave up on an official unlock from AT&T and will look at Gevey Sim for when I am out of the country.

Here is the last email I got from Thomas Grey AT&T chairman

it's about time for you to switch carrier :D

ericrwalker
Apr 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
it's about time for you to switch carrier :D

I am happy with AT&T's coverage. Even the price isn't so bad with my FAN discount.

Qoo
Apr 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
I am happy with AT&T's coverage. Even the price isn't so bad with my FAN discount.

because the FAN discount, that's why i am still with them :(

soft-touch
Apr 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
I am not residing in US, but call AT&T yesterday. My call was answered by a lady with a sonorous voice. I told her straight that I want unlock for my 4s.
She ask for my Name, my IMIE, and my email (I can even hear her typing-strikes on PC). She told me, I ought to get reply by 21st April (My Birthday date).
She did not ask if I am AT&T customer, She did not ask how I get the phone, She did not ask If I ever get any contract with AT&T.

I just hope for the unlock will be true.

Qoo
Apr 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
does anyone here been waiting for their unlock e-mail more than 7 days?

i requested on April 9th and the rep told me the completion date is April 17th. Today is April 18 and i still did not receive any e-mail from AT&T. I have been restored numeric times and no unlock message so far.

jay47
Apr 18, 2012, 11:36 AM

i requested on April 9th and the rep told me the completion date is April 17th. Today is April 18 and i still did not receive any e-mail from AT&T. I have been restored numeric times and no unlock message so far.

Been waiting 10 days . Called on the 8th & was told 24-48hrs . No email or unlock .

I will give it till friday & call them again , if i dont get a unlock the same day im canceling my contract with at&t .:mad:

dhlizard
Apr 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
Have either of you tried de-activating, then re-activating with iTunes to see if the unlock gets applied ?
I have read many reports of the unlock being in place but no email.

fdxgnd
Apr 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
Got 2 unlocked. One 4 and a 4s. The 4 literally took and hour to receive the email. 4s unlock request was this morning and within 2 hours got an email.

jay47
Apr 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
Yes , have tried everyday with both at&t and t-mobile sims . :(

Qoo
Apr 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Have either of you tried de-activating, then re-activating with iTunes to see if the unlock gets applied ?
I have read many reports of the unlock being in place but no email.

How do you do the de-activating and re-activating? after i restored i used a blank T-Mobile sim and it does not work, put the AT&T sim back in place it work again. I believe that means still not unlock right?

Applejuiced
Apr 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
How do you do the de-activating and re-activating? after i restored i used a blank T-Mobile sim and it does not work, put the AT&T sim back in place it work again. I believe that means still not unlock right?

Yes.
You can use redsnow to deactivate it so you dont have to keep restoring to check if its unlocked or not.

DigitalDawn
Apr 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
If I have a family account with 3 different phones having three different expiration dates, if I want to pay an early termination fee for just one phone to get an unlock, can I do this?

Or, do I have to buy out all three phones?

weaselmtl
Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Finally got the unlock email today from AT&T for my 4s. What was strange is that the email starts off with, "Attached is the form necessary to complete your request. Please fill it out and return it to the address listed on the form. If you have any questions, please refer to our online support site at http://att.com/wireless. "

The only attachment is the standard pdf with unlocking instructions! Nothing to send back...

I did the backup and restore and then popped in a foreign sim card. Phone showing "activation required" and then "sim not valid" "only compatible sim cards..."

What gives? IMEI.info shows phone as still locked but I have read that it could be inaccurate.

Any suggestions?

dhlizard
Apr 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
Finally got the unlock email today from AT&T for my 4s. What was strange is that the email starts off with, "Attached is the form necessary to complete your request. Please fill it out and return it to the address listed on the form. If you have any questions, please refer to our online support site at http://att.com/wireless. "

The only attachment is the standard pdf with unlocking instructions! Nothing to send back...

I did the backup and restore and then popped in a foreign sim card. Phone showing "activation required" and then "sim not valid" "only compatible sim cards..."

What gives? IMEI.info shows phone as still locked but I have read that it could be inaccurate.

Any suggestions?

That is different than the email notification I received confirming my IMEI unlock.

weaselmtl
Apr 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
That is different than the email notification I received confirming my IMEI unlock.

Very strange. No other attachment, just the unlock instructions. AT&T telling me to call Applecare. Applecare saying phone is still locked!

Applejuiced
Apr 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
Very strange. No other attachment, just the unlock instructions. AT&T telling me to call Applecare. Applecare saying phone is still locked!

Yes, sounds like someone at AT&T messed it up and didnt do the proper procedure.
I'd call AT&T again and explain them where you're at so far.

weaselmtl
Apr 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
Yes, sounds like someone at AT&T messed it up and didnt do the proper procedure.
I'd call AT&T again and explain them where you're at so far.

Applecare got on the line with AT&T - AT&T said that my case # is still being worked on, unlock not complete. Said some automated emails go out too early. Totally bizarre.

Applejuiced
Apr 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
Weird, hope it works out for you in the end.

fdxgnd
Apr 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Just an FYI. I cancelled the line on my 4s. Then paid the etf fee. Got it unlocked within a few minutes of calling AT&T. Walked into AT&T and started my line again and got reimbursed the etf fee and activation fee. I made $30 unlocking my 4s.

Applejuiced
Apr 20, 2012, 06:03 PM
Just an FYI. I cancelled the line on my 4s. Then paid the etf fee. Got it unlocked within a few minutes of calling AT&T. Walked into AT&T and started my line again and got reimbursed the etf fee and activation fee. I made $30 unlocking my 4s.

That's a neat trick:)

fdxgnd
Apr 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
I didn't say anything. Other than ok. Lol

Arisian
Apr 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
Just as a bit of info for those who are getting the unlock email but it's not unlocking them - I've had to go through the whole process three times now, gotten approved, and one phone is still not unlocked.

It's a bit frustrating, but no one has said 'Oh, we can't unlock that one.' The only thing I can think of is that the phone used to be an old Apple employee's personal phone.

I'll keep trying until it goes through.

You'd think they'd have set up an automated system by now where original owners could do the unlock through an IVR or something.

My original theory was that they are just getting hammered and everything is backed up - My original theory was that I accidentally gave them the wrong IMEI number or that doing two different phones from two different numbers at the same time caused some sort of issue. Then I remembered any time AT&T handles something for Apple it instantaneously obtains fubar status.

Glad they are unlocking them, but from all the reports the process seems like a real mess.

I don't know - eager to get this last one unlocked.

Good luck everyong.e

----------

I have no clue who you are, but I want to vote for you for President.

Well played, sir.

TypeMRT
Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 PM

How long was that line out of service. I may want to try this because I used my dad's upgrade to get the 4S, but I don't want to have his line out of service for too long. What did you tell them in-store to get the line re-activated after such a short period?

sa83
Apr 24, 2012, 04:30 AM

Heyy... did you get your unlock,or still waiting??..... I got my case registered on 12th.... till now no response, called rep yesterday they said due to overwhelming request they are backed up...and he didn't seem to have an ETA on my case, he said it will take more time. thats it. :(

----------

Been waiting 10 days . Called on the 8th & was told 24-48hrs . No email or unlock .

I will give it till friday & call them again , if i dont get a unlock the same day im canceling my contract with at&t .:mad:

you got your unlock,or still waiting??..... I got my case registered on 12th.... till now no response, called rep yesterday they said due to overwhelming request they are backed up...and he didn't seem to have an ETA on my case, he said it will take more time. thats it. :(

Arisian
Apr 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Heyy... did you get your unlock,or still waiting??..... I got my case registered on 12th.... till now no response, called rep yesterday they said due to overwhelming request they are backed up...and he didn't seem to have an ETA on my case, he said it will take more time. thats it. :([COLOR="#808080"]

----------
(

More time... from now until 2037 qualifies as more time.

fdxgnd
Apr 24, 2012, 06:40 AM
How long was that line out of service. I may want to try this because I used my dad's upgrade to get the 4S, but I don't want to have his line out of service for too long. What did you tell them in-store to get the line re-activated after such a short period?

My bill cycle ended on the 16th. I prescheduled a deactivation on the 12th to be cancelled on the 15th. Before my cycle ended. On the 17th I called to make sure the etf was on my bill. It was. I paid it over the phone. I went to AT&T and said I deactivated my line and want to start it again. He said since I was within 30 days of the cancel I would be reimbursed the etf and the activation fee. Showed me the computer screen with a $297.00 credit. I ran out as fast as I could. Lol

Qoo
Apr 24, 2012, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=sa83;14767430]Heyy... did you get your unlock,or still waiting??..... I got my case registered on 12th.... till now no response, called rep yesterday they said due to overwhelming request they are backed up...and he didn't seem to have an ETA on my case, he said it will take more time. thats it. :([COLOR="#808080"]

----------

i filed the request on April 9 and finally received the unlock e-mail on April 20. phone is unlocked now :D

Good Luck~~

Lucky736
Apr 24, 2012, 09:08 AM

Any suggestions?

This is the email I received yesterday and my phone is in fact unlocked. They may have just changed the format for the emails.

I also received a separate email later in the day stating this case # blah blah blah was closed.

I did NOT get the unlocked message in itunes but I did try another sim and it worked fine.

jay47
Apr 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Heyy... did you get your unlock,or still waiting??..... I got my case registered on 12th.... till now no response, called rep yesterday they said due to overwhelming request they are backed up...and he didn't seem to have an ETA on my case, he said it will take more time. thats it. :(

----------

you got your unlock,or still waiting??..... I got my case registered on 12th.... till now no response, called rep yesterday they said due to overwhelming request they are backed up...and he didn't seem to have an ETA on my case, he said it will take more time. thats it. :(

Yes , finally got unlocked . Called on the 8th , got unlocked on the 20th . Took 12 days after submitting the request .

They are getting hammered with unlock requests .

Lucky736
Apr 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
This is the email I received yesterday and my phone is in fact unlocked. They may have just changed the format for the emails.

I also received a separate email later in the day stating this case # blah blah blah was closed.

I did NOT get the unlocked message in itunes but I did try another sim and it worked fine.

Just received a more standard unlock email as well. I guess they are still sending that one too. Lol.

Arisian
Apr 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
make this the 4th time I've gone through the process, gotten successful emails, and still don't have an unlocked iPhone.

Hmmm...

Brazuca
May 4, 2012, 01:26 PM
make this the 4th time I've gone through the process, gotten successful emails, and still don't have an unlocked iPhone.

Hmmm...

Did you get it to work? My friend (in Chile) received the same pdf email as you, he restored/updated (was originally use Gevey), and now his phone is useless.

Can't use Gevey, can't unlock.

conartist4u
May 4, 2012, 05:01 PM
Did you get it to work? My friend (in Chile) received the same pdf email as you, he restored/updated (was originally use Gevey), and now his phone is useless.

Can't use Gevey, can't unlock.

gevey supports the 4s but that's besides the point. why do people update when you need to just deactivate via redsn0w or SAM. simply do that After receiving the unlock email and connect to iTunes :)

don't want to lose that jailbreak now do we

conartist4u
May 4, 2012, 05:18 PM

Hmmm...

check your imei status via imei.info
if it says sim locked: no then you're in luck. simply connect to iTunes with a non AT&t sim after deactivating iPhone using SAM tool...( you must be jailbroken)