PDA

View Full Version : [phones] HTC One X

Pages : [1] 2 3

ipadfreak
Apr 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have a 4S.... Thinking of switching to the HTC One X... Am I insane?

Feed Me
Apr 6, 2012, 04:37 PM
Yes, yes you are.

Ayemerica
Apr 6, 2012, 04:43 PM

It depends, what do you use your phone for?

Jordan921
Apr 6, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hey if you aren't happy with the 4S and want to try something new go for it.

cambookpro
Apr 6, 2012, 04:44 PM

No. I like the One X, though hopefully I'm going to like the new iPhone more, as iOS is better than Android IMO. Slightly.

PacificBeach
Apr 6, 2012, 04:47 PM
Beautiful phone, it has 2 models ONE-X is Quad-CORE tegra 3 international only and HSPA+ ONLY,
and the att/sprint ONE-XL is DUAL-CORE Snapdragon 4 with HSPA+ and LTE.
Early benchmarks suggest the ONE-XL is the best model to have.
It has a awesome camera also,Very fast shutter. 720p IPS retina display type 4.7 inch screen.

But as a Galaxy Nexus user i would say stay with iphone. HTC is really bad with getting timely updates.

----------

You may be getting the ONE-X confused for the One XL

Padraig
Apr 6, 2012, 05:03 PM
Beautiful phone, it has 2 models ONE-X is Quad-CORE tegra 3 international only and HSPA+ ONLY,
It has a awesome camera also,Very fast shutter. 720p IPS retina display type 4.7 inch screen.

But as a Galaxy Nexus user i would say stay with iphone. HTC is really bad with getting timely updates.

----------

Played with one today; screen is stunning, easily the best I've seen on a smartphone. But ya, HTC are terrible for updates and while Sense 4.0 is less sucky, it's still not vanilla Android ICS.

chakraj
Apr 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
It depends, what do you use your phone for?

If you use your phone for, games, or web surfing, or social networking, or watching movies or shows, or recording with a camera or video, or downloading things, or talking on then YES you should switch. If you dont use your phone for that stuff then its not so important.

mbell1975
Apr 6, 2012, 05:42 PM
If you use your phone for, games, or web surfing, or social networking, or watching movies or shows, or recording with a camera or video, or downloading things, or talking on then YES you should switch.

Battery life is awful on the phone. You won't get more than a few hours of use doing any of that.

AndroidTriumph
Apr 6, 2012, 06:04 PM
Played with one today; screen is stunning, easily the best I've seen on a smartphone. But ya, HTC are terrible for updates and while Sense 4.0 is less sucky, it's still not vanilla Android ICS.

Where did you play with one?

bandofbrothers
Apr 6, 2012, 06:11 PM
Do or do not..... there is no try

Padraig
Apr 6, 2012, 06:17 PM
Where did you play with one?

Ireland.

MotionxxUSxx
Apr 6, 2012, 09:39 PM
Got mine yesterday. Nice phone, a bit buggy. Having some signal issues on AT&T. I may return for this reason. I also realized how much I like the iPhone size. The size of the one x makes it hard to do anything one handed.

ap3604
Apr 6, 2012, 09:55 PM
I really wish this site had an Android section. Why do people feel they have to share their latest obsession on an IPHONE forum!!!!????!!!!! This is NOT a blog site!!! UGH

Agreed, android users need to get a life.

Random trolling of other different os phone forums is pathetic...

Roessnakhan
Apr 6, 2012, 09:58 PM
If you can find a way to install stock ICS on it, I would say go for it.

Jordan921
Apr 6, 2012, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking about switching back to a flip razr phone. Should I do it?

0m3ga
Apr 6, 2012, 10:25 PM
Agreed, android users need to get a life.

Random trolling of other different os phone forums is pathetic...

So if an ipad or atv or mac owner has an Android phone they need to 'get a life' and aren't allowed to post on here? Does that really make sense to you?

There are obviously a lot of Android and iDevice owners on this forum. Just because you aren't one of them doesn't give you the right to insult others.

----------

Got mine yesterday. Nice phone, a bit buggy. Having some signal issues on AT&T. I may return for this reason. I also realized how much I like the iPhone size. The size of the one x makes it hard to do anything one handed.

You may want to check out thr Samsung Galaxy S2 or S2 Skyrocket.

surjavarman
Apr 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
Why does everyone get angry here when iphone users are defecting to other brands.

Its simple. The iphone 4s is old and outdated. And I bet that they are just going to use that disappointing A5x chip for the new iphone with the same screen size and design as the iphone 4/4s. I bet its going to have that huge bezel and that flawed home button again. Thats going to be so disappointing. I am not going to wait for that. I'll get an android phone now thanks. They need to revamp their OS too. iOS is an OS for dumb phones not for smartphones.

Either they announce something now or it will be too late. I just can't wait anymore. One year cycle is simply too long for phones nowadays. They have a 6month cycle for their macbooks, why not for phones?

And then people are complaining about others defecting to android? The hardware is outdated and the software is getting boring, stale and same old same old.

Jordan921
Apr 6, 2012, 11:06 PM
Why does everyone get angry here when iphone users are defecting to other brands.

Its simple. The iphone 4s is old and outdated. And I bet that they are just going to use that disappointing A5x chip for the new iphone with the same screen size and design as the iphone 4/4s. I bet its going to have that huge bezel and that flawed home button again. Thats going to be so disappointing. I am not going to wait for that. I'll get an android phone now thanks. They need to revamp their OS too. iOS is an OS for dumb phones not for smartphones.

Either they announce something now or it will be too late. I just can't wait anymore. One year cycle is simply too long for phones nowadays. They have a 6month cycle for their macbooks, why not for phones?

And then people are complaining about others defecting to android? The hardware is outdated and the software is getting boring, stale and same old same old.

Who's angry? I just find it annoying that people have to announce everytime they wanna try something different.

matttye
Apr 7, 2012, 02:41 AM
Looks like an awesome phone, and I like how they've gone for a slim form factor rather than bulky like they usually do! Screen is supposed to be amazing.

Invincibilizer
Apr 7, 2012, 08:15 AM
I am actually glad that its not stock ICS.

Sense 4 + ICS is better than stock ICS to me, sense 4 is one of the few overlays that improves on the stock OS.

You are not insane,I was deciding between HTC One X and other Android devices like Galaxy S2. To me HTC sense is better than touchWiz and getting the 4.3 inch HTC One S is the preferred one for its size.

Certinfy
Apr 7, 2012, 08:49 AM
It's a good phone so I don't see what's wrong with getting it.

Personally though I just wouldn't get an HTC considering their support of previous devices.

takeshi74
Apr 7, 2012, 08:50 AM
Impossible to say based on your OP. Selecting a device is a highly subjective matter. You'd need to include details regarding what you're looking for and why which always seems to be missing from threads like this.

Invincibilizer
Apr 7, 2012, 08:56 PM

----------

Updates are overrated

If the phone comes with great software ( as the HTC one devices are - ICS and Sense 4) Why would anyone look forward to newer updates?

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 12:31 AM
Updates are overrated

If the phone comes with great software ( as the HTC one devices are - ICS and Sense 4) Why would anyone look forward to newer updates?

LOL

Only an Android user conditioned not to expect them and trying to cope with it would even ask this. If updates weren't important, why would Google spend so much time, money and resources building them? You think they have nothing better to do?

daneoni
Apr 8, 2012, 05:50 AM
Great hardware, but the fact that it's running Android (with a skin) means its a no-go for me.

ericdajerk
Apr 8, 2012, 09:54 AM
i think im leaving iphone for it

ipadfreak
Apr 8, 2012, 12:28 PM
Well that's to the people who actually answered my question... And I love how most people who commented on this said they hated posts like this, yet they wasted a minute or two posting.l:D

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well that's to the people who actually answered my question... And I love how most people who commented on this said they hated posts like this, yet they wasted a minute or two posting.l:D

+1 brother. Except they have wasted a lot more than a minute or two posting when they are the ones posting THE MOST in the thread.

----------

LOL

Only an Android user conditioned not to expect them and trying to cope with it would even ask this. If updates weren't important, why would Google spend so much time, money and resources building them? You think they have nothing better to do?

I am not defending that updates don't matter (that is silly). But I will say there are a lot of people out there that buy a phone for what it does, TODAY, and don't expect anything more from it. With our current mobile OSs, very little functionality is actually added into the OS before a full version update. As such, the .x.x version updates are, for most people, inconsequential. For those that absolutely need version updates when they launch, they are probably looking into it (researching) and there are certainly options for them. Are they as easy as updating iOS? In my opinion, no. That said, I have almost never found reason to update iOS more often than yearly anyway. As I mentioned, very little actual functionality (if any at all) is added before full version updates anyway.

I am currently on 5.0.1 and my fiance is on 5.1. I literally have no reason to update (granted I want to preserve my jailbreak). If photostream really bothered me, that would just about be the only thing I would update for.

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
Its hardly been out a few days and there are already issues, shocking! Here comes Android's fragmentation back to bite them in the butt again :rolleyes:

According to reps from both companies, some of these issues can be due to app compatibility, as it is quite common that certain apps aren't always compatible with new processors, especially when you consider it's one of the first phones to run a quad core chipset.

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/blog/404185/htc-one-x

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 01:19 PM
I am not defending that updates don't matter (that is silly). But I will say there are a lot of people out there that buy a phone for what it does, TODAY, and don't expect anything more from it. With our current mobile OSs, very little functionality is actually added into the OS before a full version update. As such, the .x.x version updates are, for most people, inconsequential. For those that absolutely need version updates when they launch, they are probably looking into it (researching) and there are certainly options for them. Are they as easy as updating iOS? In my opinion, no. That said, I have almost never found reason to update iOS more often than yearly anyway. As I mentioned, very little actual functionality (if any at all) is added before full version updates anyway.

I am currently on 5.0.1 and my fiance is on 5.1. I literally have no reason to update (granted I want to preserve my jailbreak). If photostream really bothered me, that would just about be the only thing I would update for.

Again, Google doesn't waste time, money and resources on building updates to their OS for fun. Although the uninformed user may not see a need to update, many updates include better battery performance (which right there should make every Android user want to upgrade) optimization of the OS, security updates etc...They may not be major updates but useful nonetheless. Here is just one example of what got fixed on the Incredible with GB 2.3.4 Again, while not a major update, you wouldn't want these fixes to your phone?

http://androidandme.com/2011/08/news/android-2-3-4-gingerbread-its-incredible/

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
Again, Google doesn't waste time, money and resources on building updates to their OS for fun. I didn't say they did... Although the uninformed user may not see a need to update, many updates include better battery performance (which right there should make every Android user want to upgrade) optimization of the OS, security updates etc...They may not be major updates but useful nonetheless. Here is just one example of what got fixed on the Incredible with GB 2.3.4 Again, while not a major update, you wouldn't want these fixes to your phone?

http://androidandme.com/2011/08/news/android-2-3-4-gingerbread-its-incredible/

I couldn't say. I didn't use that phone, ever. If I were having issues, I may want it, yes. I have never come across a phone where I saw a noticable difference from one small update to another (this includes the iPhone, which I have had every version of since 1.0.2). Other's mileage may vary. It's tough to compare a non-stock update to another non-stock update too. A lot of the "fixes" are often something that were botched in the creation of this custom rom. Almost every carrier has a stock option. Again, if you are informed, you are probably fine. If you choose not to be, then I agree, iOS is for you. Apple has always catered to that crowd anyway, and they are proud of it. Just look back at some of their Mac commercials.

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
I didn't say they did...

I couldn't say. I didn't use that phone, ever. I have never come across a phone where I saw a noticable difference from one small update to another (this includes the iPhone, which I have had every version of since 1.0.2). Other's mileage may vary. It's tough to compare a non-stock update to another non-stock update too. A lot of the "fixes" are often something that were botched in the creation of this custom rom. Almost every carrier has a stock option. Again, if you are informed, you are probably fine. If you choose not to be, then I agree, iOS is for you. Apple has always catered to that crowd anyway, and they are proud of it. Just look back at some of their Mac commercials.

You have been lucky. The Evo 4G was just one Android phone I owned where we had to wait months for an update that fixed the wifi and grounding issues. Many people returned their phones rather than wait. The Nexus S 4G still hasn't had its wifi or signal issues fixed because Sprint blames Samsung and Samsung blame Sprint. Had to sell that phone. Thats just 2 personal examples. Something you will never, ever see with an Apple supported device.

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 01:43 PM
Its hardly been out a few days and there are already issues, shocking! Here comes Android's fragmentation back to bite them in the butt again :rolleyes:

According to reps from both companies, some of these issues can be due to app compatibility, as it is quite common that certain apps aren't always compatible with new processors, especially when you consider it's one of the first phones to run a quad core chipset.

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/blog/404185/htc-one-x

From that very article...

In a conference call with HTC and Nvidia, we learned that while a big majority of games should run just fine, there are gameplay and audio problems that aren't only specific to Tegra Zone titles. After running a few tests on the phone ourselves, we discovered that one or 2 non Tegra titles did have issues with sound stuttering during sound effects (loudly), but that most Tegra 3 optimzed games like RipTide ran just fine. It doesn't seem to effect a vast majority of titles, but it is effecting enough to make both companies report that there is an issue.

Blowing this out of proportion, in my opinion. The way I see it, at least they aren't trying brush it under the rug. Many companies do that with their issues, including Apple, on occasion.

----------

You have been lucky. The Evo 4G was just one Android phone I owned where we had to wait months for an update that fixed the wifi and grounding issues. Many people returned their phones rather than wait. The Nexus S 4G still hasn't had its wifi or signal issues fixed because Sprint blames Samsung and Samsung blame Sprint. Had to sell that phone. Thats just 2 personal examples. Something you will never, ever see with an Apple supported device.

I actually owned an EVO 4G. My only complaint with it, EVER, was the lack of memory (a hardware limitation unfortunately). Well, and the fact that it was on Sprint and Sprint's network made me want to gouge my eyes out. I ran stock for about two months, until I finally started playing with roms. Enthusiast rommers actually put out better software than many of these companies do. Honestly, if I were one of these manufacturers, I would try to buy out someone like cyanogenmod that puts out nightly updates (and are actually getting more an more user friendly to the "uneducated crowd" as well). Anyone that wants lightning fast updates should stick with them, IMO. Their device list is ridiculously long and they announce which devices will be getting support. (They only JUST RECENTLY dropped support for the OG Droid)

GodspeedFx
Apr 8, 2012, 02:12 PM

You either suffer from short-term memory loss or you didn't buy a 4S when it released in October of last year. They only JUST LAST MONTH fixed the horrid battery life issues plaguing many users.

And as Reef mentioned, custom ROM developers release fixes for issues such as the ones you mentioned far more quickly than the phone manufacturers do, and their ROMs often run much faster and smoother than the stock ROMs because they remove all the bloatware.

Whenever I get a new phone, the first thing I do is look for a custom ROM because they almost always have many improvements over the stock phone. Customizing/tweaking my phone's UI is part of the reason why I love Android so much. Don't get me wrong.. I like iPhones and think they are innovative, powerful, and visually appealing, but I simply prefer the freedom that Android offers me.

..and as for the whole "posting about android on a mac forum" debate.. if I wanted advice or input about making a switch, I imagine any intelligent person would want to ask on BOTH forums to get input from both Android users and iPhone users. If you ask only on one or the other, isn't it logical to assume that you'd be getting a one sided opinion? ;)

0dev
Apr 8, 2012, 07:02 PM
HTC Android phones are the best ones in my experience. The One X is, IMHO, the best Android phone on the market right now, so it's certainly a good phone to get if you want to jump platforms.

Just make sure you use Android a bit first to get a feel of it and see if you like it :)

Funkymonk
Apr 8, 2012, 07:13 PM
I saw the phone in person.

It seriously has the best screen I have ever seen on a phone. The colors, sharpness, and clarity is the best I've ever seen. Beats any Samsung amoled out there. It bests the iPhone 4/4s screen as well.

kdarling
Apr 8, 2012, 07:20 PM
Here is just one example of what got fixed on the Incredible with GB 2.3.4 Again, while not a major update, you wouldn't want these fixes to your phone?

There's a big difference between bug fixes / proprietary updates, versus major / universal OS revisions.

Many/most Android devices get multiple bug fixes, updates and enhancements from their manufacturer over time, without an OS change being involved at all.

Of course, if there is a major OS change, then it's also a good time to throw in any fixes as well. Your DInc update link is simply an example of such an occasion.

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 07:44 PM
And as Reef mentioned, custom ROM developers release fixes for issues such as the ones you mentioned far more quickly than the phone manufacturers do, and their ROMs often run much faster and smoother than the stock ROMs because they remove all the bloat ware

Whenever I get a new phone, the first thing I do is look for a custom ROM because they almost always have many improvements over the stock phone. Customizing/tweaking my phone's UI is part of the reason why I love Android so much. Don't get me wrong.. I like iPhones and think they are innovative, powerful, and visually appealing, but I simply prefer the freedom that Android offers me.

So the first thing you have to do when you buy a new phone is hack it and instal a ROM some dude in his basement came up with because the phone sucks that bad out of the box and if something is messed up, it will take months to fix? Wow, that's just sad. Would you buy a new car you instantly had to drop a new motor in for it to run right? Youjust admitted it yourself. The stock rom is glitchy, slower and filled with bloatware and garbage apps that slow your phone down and drain the battery. You are forced to root and rom pretty much. That's beyond absurd and a testament to what a joke Android is.

Mr. Incredible
Apr 8, 2012, 07:56 PM

No you're not. The One X looks really sick. Easily one of the best phones of the year. Comes with ICS, and the camera is really impressive.

kdarling
Apr 8, 2012, 08:27 PM
So the first thing you have to do when you buy a new phone is hack it and instal a ROM some dude in his basement came up with because the phone sucks that bad out of the box and if something is messed up, it will take months to fix? Wow, that's just sad...

A lot of people jailbreak their iPhone as soon as possible, too.

It doesn't mean the stock iPhone is a terrible mess.

It can also take Apple months to fix bugs in iOS, and yet that's not "sad", either.

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 08:29 PM
So the first thing you have to do when you buy a new phone is hack it and instal a ROM some dude in his basement came up with because the phone sucks that bad out of the box and if something is messed up, it will take months to fix? Wow, that's just sad. Would you buy a new car you instantly had to drop a new motor in for it to run right? Youjust admitted it yourself. The stock rom is glitchy, slower and filled with bloatware and garbage apps that slow your phone down and drain the battery. You are forced to root and rom pretty much. That's beyond absurd and a testament to what a joke Android is.

Not because the phone is that bad... but because a third party does it better. Same can be said about my iOS tweaks. There is functionality I virtually couldn't live without if I didn't have jailbreak.

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 08:29 PM

True but the difference is you don't have to jailbreak an iPhone to get a stable OS without force closes and crashes, remove bloat ware installed by your carrier, fix launch day issues that otherwise take months to fix or just to get your battery to last more than 6 hours.

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 08:30 PM

It can also take Apple months to fix bugs in iOS, and yet that's not "sad", either.

Amen.

----------

True but the difference is you don't have to jailbreak an iPhone to get a stable OS without force closes and crashes, remove bloat ware installed by your carrier, fix launch day issues that otherwise take months to fix or just to get your battery to last more than 6 hours.

I don't need to to that on Android, either... If an app is force closing, it;s the app, not the OS (generally). I only just recently got a usable facebook... for iOS... Any time I wanted to load a new page, or anything, the App would force close. Should I blame iOS for that? No, that would be silly. As far as fixing launch day issues, the battery issue was a launch day issue, only recently fixed by Apple. You either lived with it, or you went back to your iPhone 4 until it was fixed. You didn;t have a chance to install a heavily modified version of iOS to fix the issue, as you do with Android.

kdarling
Apr 8, 2012, 08:43 PM

I don't have to do anything to Android phones to be stable. That's nonsense.

As for launch day fixes, it's an advantage with Android that such things are available very quickly, if someone wants to make use of them.

As for so-called "bloatware", it has never bothered me that some carriers put extra apps on the phone, because with Android I don't have to see those apps on my homescreens unless I want to.

With iOS, we have no choice but to create a silly extra homescreen page or folder to hide apps we're not interested in. (To many iPhone owners, the Stocks app is just one example of Jobs-mandated Apple "bloatware" that cannot be removed.)

Invincibilizer
Apr 8, 2012, 10:12 PM

As for launch day fixes, it's an advantage with Android that such things are available very quickly, if someone wants to make use of them.

As for so-called "bloatware", it has never bothered me that some carriers put extra apps on the phone, because with Android I don't have to see those apps on my homescreens unless I want to.

With iOS, we have no choice but to create a silly extra homescreen page or folder to hide apps we're not interested in. (To many iPhone owners, the Stocks app is just one example of Jobs-mandated Apple "bloatware" that cannot be removed.)

Correct

I am a user and can attest to this
7 screens of apps and the last screen only has one app..Why
Because its newstand, it can't be placed in a folder and I would never use it so it is at the end adding an extra pointless scrolling page..

mbell1975
Apr 8, 2012, 10:14 PM

You have owned very special Android phones then. Here is just one poll with the vast majority of voters saying their Android phone force closes several times a day. There are dozens of others as well. So you are saying this is normal. You consider multiple force closes a day stable? Don't even get me started on the how many times do you have to pull your battery because your Android phone froze up polls....

http://pocketnow.com/android/how-often-does-your-android-force-close

walie
Apr 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
You have owned very special Android phones then. Here is just one poll with the vast majority of voters saying their Android phone force closes several times a day. There are dozens of others as well. So you are saying this is normal. You consider multiple force closes a day stable? Don't even get me started on the how many times do you have to pull your battery because your Android phone froze up polls....

I see.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/03/ios-apps-crash-more-than-android-apps-study-shows/

ap3604
Apr 9, 2012, 12:15 AM
I see.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/03/ios-apps-crash-more-than-android-apps-study-shows/

It's hard for me to take a company, or their data, seriously who call themselves "crittercism" :p

mbell1975
Apr 9, 2012, 12:24 AM
It's hard for me to take a company, or their data, seriously who call themselves "crittercism" :p

Indeed. Anyone can make claims and rattle off BS some random company did research on. where is the actual study? There isn't even a link to crittercism or their test anywhere in that. I had to Google them. Oh and thats written by an Android fanboy. Gee, what a coincidence.

walie
Apr 9, 2012, 01:15 AM

you can say the same about every other company's name out there

----------

Indeed. Anyone can make claims and rattle off BS some random company did research on. where is the actual study? There isn't even a link to crittercism or their test anywhere in that. I had to Google them. Oh and thats written by an Android fanboy. Gee, what a coincidence.

here's a more in depth article concerning the study

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/02/02/does-ios-crash-more-than-android-a-data-dive/

mbell1975
Apr 9, 2012, 01:33 AM
you can say the same about every other company's name out there

----------

here's a more in depth article concerning the study

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/02/02/does-ios-crash-more-than-android-a-data-dive/

Thanks. This user already hit the nail on the head with his reply. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think defining a crash makes all the difference. When I used Android and it crashed, it CRASHED – the phone froze on whatever screen and became a ligthed paperweight until I pulled the battery and started over. When my iPhone crashes, the only thing that happens is that the app I was using closes suddenly, and that’s it. I won’t argue that iOS crashes more often, but with iOS its much less tiresome and annoying, because while an occasional app may crash, the phone never does, while android does that quite often.

kevinof
Apr 9, 2012, 02:50 AM
I see you joined on March 17th this year (happy paddy's day btw), and almost every single post from you has been anti-android. What happened? did android steal your lunch money or something? Why not stop the anti-android bias and post something (anything) positive for a change? Instead of constantly bashing another platform contribute something useful to this site.

its posters like you that give sites like this a bad name.

Thanks. This user already hit the nail on the head with his reply. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think defining a crash makes all the difference. When I used Android and it crashed, it CRASHED Ė the phone froze on whatever screen and became a ligthed paperweight until I pulled the battery and started over. When my iPhone crashes, the only thing that happens is that the app I was using closes suddenly, and thatís it. I wonít argue that iOS crashes more often, but with iOS its much less tiresome and annoying, because while an occasional app may crash, the phone never does, while android does that quite often.

mark28
Apr 9, 2012, 02:51 AM

If you want a Quad Core phone, best is to wait what Samsung brings. Samsung builds the best CPU's :)

mbell1975
Apr 9, 2012, 11:11 AM
I see you joined on March 17th this year (happy paddy's day btw), and almost every single post from you has been anti-android. What happened? did android steal your lunch money or something? Why not stop the anti-android bias and post something (anything) positive for a change? Instead of constantly bashing another platform contribute something useful to this site.

Maybe because I had 7 Android phoneS in 3 years. I got tired of the force closes, crashes, battery pulls, overall unstable OS and carriers or manufacturers stopping support of my phone although I was still well within my 2 year contract. If not that, then it was waiting 6 months or more for the new OS and being stuck on one nearly 2 years old with no upgrading to things like new Google maps and sone apps i wanted. I got stuck with a Nexus S 4G from Sprint that had awful signal and wifi issues. It would go into roaming just driving around. Sprint acknowledged the issues but blamed Samsungs radios and hardware and Samsung blamed Sprints towers. Bottom line is it never got fixed and Sprint wouldn't let me exchange it, so I had to sell it and buy a new phone at full retail price. I will never give anything Android my money ever again, already wasted thousands. That reason enough for ya?

LSUtigers03
Apr 9, 2012, 12:54 PM

No but you do have to jailbreak to not have a boring bland phone. Also my stock Galaxy Nexus has none of the issues you describe. It also gets better battery life than my 4s.

SurferMan
Apr 9, 2012, 01:03 PM

http://pocketnow.com/android/how-often-does-your-android-force-closeAll I can say is I use my phone heavily daily and had only one force close since I bought it in november and that was FB. Nothing else, no freeze, no reboot, no lag, nothing.... older Androids from a few years ago yeh I 'd agree with as I remember friends having issues from day 1 and on, but now highly unlikely at least with top tier phones. Some went to the 4S and have issues some went to the newer Droids, like buddy bought the Photon the day I got mine since it was on that 96 cent sale Sams online also, his Evo was always "iffy" but his Photon has had no issues. On the other hand have had way more glitches with iOS on the iPhones from app's freezing or crashing to safari freezing or closing randomly or the spring board just freeze out of nowhere and have to hard reset, even the 4S which is our 2nd one and only like 2 months old now has had more issues.

If anything the phones run better being jailbroken with various app's lol, I've had less issues on jb then on stock iOS which is plain odd.

Rodimus Prime
Apr 9, 2012, 01:28 PM

What is funny is you make that comment above and yet post a link to an even crappier justification than the one you first attacked.

Let see a open poll on the intent, on a site that more of it's readers are from non-Android phone and wonder why you get that result.

Also the poll is crap because those force closes have ZERO to do with the rom. Guess what I can give you an App that has tons of force closes. App looks great but can force close all the time. Mind you it is still in development and there are missing parts that are not complete but either way it looks the same. Still has nothing to do with the rom.

mBell as pointed out multiple times before you are pretty good at spreading FUD and I think many of us are starting to question if you really know what you are talking about or just posting things you have read.

cynics
Apr 9, 2012, 01:59 PM
Speaking of force closes I've been trying something out on my iPhone to have a better comparison to gingerbread and honeycomb.

What I've been doing is not closing the app in the task bar thing. It's been three days and there are 28 apps in there. Tapatalk and Facebook operation has been getting questionable. Tapatalk has FC on me 4 times today and Facebook has just been laggy in scrolling. There is sometimes a delay when waking the phone sometimes too.

Aside from that everything has been pretty good including the battery. But I don't think it's going to last too much longer before I'll really start noticing things. If that's the case I'd compare it to my android experience, if it stays the same as now then it's a little better.

lordofthereef
Apr 9, 2012, 02:44 PM
Speaking of force closes I've been trying something out on my iPhone to have a better comparison to gingerbread and honeycomb.

What I've been doing is not closing the app in the task bar thing. It's been three days and there are 28 apps in there. Tapatalk and Facebook operation has been getting questionable. Tapatalk has FC on me 4 times today and Facebook has just been laggy in scrolling. There is sometimes a delay when waking the phone sometimes too.

Aside from that everything has been pretty good including the battery. But I don't think it's going to last too much longer before I'll really start noticing things. If that's the case I'd compare it to my android experience, if it stays the same as now then it's a little better.

I can't speak for tapatalk, but facebook has run like garbage for me after 2-3 days of not force closing the app since the very beginning. Proponents for iOS will say that this is bad coding on the developer's part (it very well may be). If a similar thing happens on Android, these same people make claims that it is Android which is poorly written. :rolleyes:

blairh
Apr 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Has anybody here handled this phone? Impressions? I can't wait to see it in person at AT&T. Might make the jump. Who knows. ;)

nickchallis92
Apr 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
I've owned 3 android phones now and I've never experienced this constant crashing you lot speak of

naths
Apr 12, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'v switched to the One X, and i can honestly say that the 4S is now a very dated phone!, the One X is big , but not big enough to be uncomfy, sense 4.0 on top of ICS is just great, sorry to say that this phone in the last week or so i'v had is without doubt the best phone i'v ever used, it does make the iPhone and ios5 look like yesterdays phone, had a play with the One S and even that outdoes the 4S in everyway that i use a phone for!!...you better have something major up your sleeve apple!!!!

nednarm
Apr 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Had the One X for 4 days but decided to return it. The battery on my device was appauling and I couldn't seem to get good signal if I was indoors in most places. Maybe I just had a faulty device? I still don't think the One X is anything special though.

chakraj
Apr 12, 2012, 04:44 PM

Android stole my lunchbox! Darn you android.

----------

I'v switched to the One X, and i can honestly say that the 4S is now a very dated phone!, the One X is big , but not big enough to be uncomfy, sense 4.0 on top of ICS is just great, sorry to say that this phone in the last week or so i'v had is without doubt the best phone i'v ever used, it does make the iPhone and ios5 look like yesterdays phone, had a play with the One S and even that outdoes the 4S in everyway that i use a phone for!!...you better have something major up your sleeve apple!!!!

The problem is Apple did have something up their sleeve last year, but they chose not to release it and only released the 4s. Now they are going to try and release one year old tech as new, they will still be behind the game by one year.:rolleyes:

blairh
Apr 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'd like to hear the following from the people who have owned or currently own the One X.

1. Battery life. If you have an iPhone (or had) how does it compare? In general how did you find battery life to be under a 'normal' day of use.

2. How does the screen compare to a retina display?

3. Were you able to operate the One X with one hand? (Please include how big your hands are.)

4. Is there any way to show the battery life percentage in the top right-hand corner, like an iPhone? (If not that is really annoying.)

Sadly we will have to wait to see how 4G LTE affects the battery life of this device seeing that in the States we are getting said model and it's incredibly important that the One X can handle LTE use without killing the battery.

cynics
Apr 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
I've owned 3 android phones now and I've never experienced this constant crashing you lot speak of

I'm the same way. None of which were rooted (which I did do to a tablet simply to over clock it). I have apps crash on my iPhone just like I had force close apps on android. After the last update I've been hating tapatalk, crashes 3+ times a day, autocorrects downward where you can't edit or you'll click on pictures/twitter, adding photos puts it BEFORE the quoted text, etc etc it sucks. At least on android it was very easy to get the previous version, maybe I'm dumb but I haven't figured out how to do it with the iPhone. I haven't decided if I'm going to go back to android or try a windows phone yet.

naths
Apr 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
blairh........

1.My battery is now settled down and I'm getting near enough the same as my 4S was getting maybe a touch more, as in a normal days use, texting, e-mails,ebay, etc, nothing over intensive, obviously at first the battery i thought was crap but that was due to having a new phone and just continuously tinkering, so overall slightly better than the 4S.

2.The screen is something else!!, the size and hi-def resolution are amazing, can't see any pixels at all!!...so again better in my opinion than the 4S.

3.Yep no problem,not as easy as the 4S obviously but still useable and i'v got a bit smaller than average hands, even though this is a big phone it is totally useable.

4.Havnt had a look for that, but i would def say yes, and theres also loads of battery widgets as well....

blairh
Apr 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
blairh........

1.My battery is now settled down and I'm getting near enough the same as my 4S was getting maybe a touch more, as in a normal days use, texting, e-mails,ebay, etc, nothing over intensive, obviously at first the battery i thought was crap but that was due to having a new phone and just continuously tinkering, so overall slightly better than the 4S.

2.The screen is something else!!, the size and hi-def resolution are amazing, can't see any pixels at all!!...so again better in my opinion than the 4S.

3.Yep no problem,not as easy as the 4S obviously but still useable and i'v got a bit smaller than average hands, even though this is a big phone it is totally useable.

4.Havnt had a look for that, but i would def say yes, and theres also loads of battery widgets as well....

Thanks for your reply.

What exactly has your 'continous tinkering' entailed? Hopefully not much. I'd hate to have to go to big efforts to keep my battery life to acceptable levels.

Yes, the screen looks absolutely stunning. Perhaps the only smartphone that can match the retina display (and 1.2" larger to boot).

I have yet to see any evidence that ICS can allow for a battery percentage a la iPhone. I know this might not be a big deal to many but I think it's a pretty startling (and obvious) omission. I know there are battery widgets but that feels like a less elegant solution.

Even though you say you can handle it with no problems with one hand, I worry if I can. I'm in your same boat (somewhat small adult male hands). Obviously I can answer this question when we get the One X here in the States. The strange thing I learned today is that HTC is calling this phone the HTC One XL over on our side. I think doing so might turn off consumers in that the name itself says 'this is one big phone'. If you know what I mean.

UPDATE:

I have two questions about Android raised from a recent vid I saw on YouTube.

So the bottom right button on the One X is the 'Recent Apps' button. If you tap it it shows the apps you recently were using (camera, browser, facebook, etc). So from what I understand, all those apps are still running (even after you pushed the home button while using them to exit out of said app). Is this true? As you know with iOS, most apps are closed once you exit them. In Android you need to access the recent apps button and manually close them? (In Sense 4.0 that means swipping up with your finger http://gottabemobile.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/DSC02619.jpg).

Also, what is the story with 'internal storage' and 'phone storage'. The user on YouTube was saying that he was running out of room for apps because he had low 'internal storage' however I was under the impression/belief that the Android apps actually take up room in the 'phone storage'. Ultimately I'd like to know if there are limitations with Android with respect to how much space for your potential apps.

Thanks.

naths
Apr 13, 2012, 03:05 AM
About the recent apps, ICS will automatically close the apps if they using any processing or battery power, if not they are sort of ticking over in the background so if you need them again they are already open.
About the storage, with android so much of the storage is for apps only, on the One X there is 2gb, more than enough for most people, if somehow you do manage to fill the 2gig all apps can now be moved to the actual phone storage, so no worry there.
Also about the battery power the One X has 5-cores all in all, the 5th being for standy only and uses virtually nothing power wise.

blairh
Apr 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
About the recent apps, ICS will automatically close the apps if they using any processing or battery power, if not they are sort of ticking over in the background so if you need them again they are already open.
About the storage, with android so much of the storage is for apps only, on the One X there is 2gb, more than enough for most people, if somehow you do manage to fill the 2gig all apps can now be moved to the actual phone storage, so no worry there.
Also about the battery power the One X has 5-cores all in all, the 5th being for standy only and uses virtually nothing power wise.

Why does Android even bother with internal vs. phone storage? Seems confusing. Also from the how-to section of the One X it appears you need to manually move apps to phone storage if you run out of internal storage? Is that correct or does it do so by default? I ask because I found this on the how-to section:

Moving an app to or from the phone storage
Free up more space in the internal storage by moving apps to the phone storage.
Important: You cannot move an app that's preinstalled on HTC One X.
Slide the Notifications panel open, and then tap .
Tap Apps.
On the Downloaded tab, tap the application you want to move.
Tap Move to phone storage.

DodgeV83
Apr 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
Yep no problem,not as easy as the 4S obviously but still useable and i'v got a bit smaller than average hands, even though this is a big phone it is totally useable.

When handling the Note, one handed use seems to come in two flavors:

1. Brace the sides

http://www.androidfools.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/7f7f4_Android_samsung-galaxy-note-pen-input.jpg

http://www.technologytell.com/gadgets/files/2012/01/Samsung-Galaxy-Note1.jpg

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BGR-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-1.jpg

2. Balance the phone while laying on 4 fingers at a shallow angle

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r0HLs-f8gLw/TphjZO-p7OI/AAAAAAAAFj4/8wjgXlu5OLQ/s1600/Samsung%252BGalaxy%252BNote_2.jpg

http://cdn.androidcommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/samsung-note-hands-on-ac-02-slashgear1-540x359.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XetBGBrjXF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTMHqLsZmI0

With my iPhone I can support the bottom with my pinky and hold the phone with one hand at any angle. In number 1 above, you can't reach the whole screen, since you're fingers are applying pressure to keep the phone upright at that angle (gravity). In number 2 above, the thumb reach is greater, but you seem to be limited in the angles you can hold the phone. It seems the sweet spot is between 0 degrees (laying flat) and 45 degrees before gravity slips the phone out of your hands.

Now for my question...

Is it possible to lean back in your chair, which limits the acceptable screen angle to a little less than 90 degrees, and comfortably use the HTC One X with one hand?

matttye
Apr 13, 2012, 12:59 PM

He didn't say that kind of behaviour was normal, he said he didn't have to install new roms to make the phone stable, which is the same as me.

Don't put words in people's mouths to fit your own agenda.

SurferMan
Apr 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
With my iPhone I can support the bottom with my pinky and hold the phone with one hand at any angle. In number 1 above, you can't reach the whole screen, since you're fingers are applying pressure to keep the phone upright at that angle (gravity). In number 2 above, the thumb reach is greater, but you seem to be limited in the angles you can hold the phone. It seems the sweet spot is between 0 degrees (laying flat) and 45 degrees before gravity slips the phone out of your hands.
That's actually exactly how I hold my GSII for the most part (4.3" version), which was pretty much the same way I hold the iPhones (using the pinky to balance the bottom). I don't have big hands either. Was always wondering if people held the phone like I do LOL

blairh
Apr 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
In addition to the internal and phone storage question I raised in my last post, I'd like some clear understanding of the recent apps button in ICS. I've researched this online with various answers. This article (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/112013-how-multitasking-works-on-android-and-ios?print)seems to be the most detailed and accurate, and still it leaves me a little confused.

From what I gather, even if you hit the home button after being finished with a specific app (for example the browser, camera, Facebook, music player, etc) the app does not actually close. And when you tap the recent apps button (lower right button on the G Nexus and One X) it pulls up a screen tile of what has recently been open (for easy access or to swipe the tile away entirely). From what I gather, people believe that swipping said tile kills the app entirely, but I guess that isn't the case. :confused:

mrbutters
Apr 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
In addition to the internal and phone storage question I raised in my last post, I'd like some clear understanding of the recent apps button in ICS. I've researched this online with various answers. This article (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/112013-how-multitasking-works-on-android-and-ios?print)seems to be the most detailed and accurate, and still it leaves me a little confused.

From what I gather, even if you hit the home button after being finished with a specific app (for example the browser, camera, Facebook, music player, etc) the app does not actually close. And when you tap the recent apps button (lower right button on the G Nexus and One X) it pulls up a screen tile of what has recently been open (for easy access or to swipe the tile away entirely). From what I gather, people believe that swipping said tile kills the app entirely, but I guess that isn't the case. :confused:

Android does this so that you don't have to wait for a recently used app to open again. If I open my task manager right now, I probably have 30 apps on there. If you look at what its doing, its not using any of the cpu, its just sitting there in a sleep mode basically. That way when I go to open that app again, it opens instantly. If I were to close that app out entirely, I would have to wait as it re-opened when I wanted it again. Just because there is an app on your recent list doesn't mean that its active and running.

wgonzvega
Apr 13, 2012, 02:33 PM

Have fun waiting for your OS updates, you will end up with great Hardware waiting for the new OS to get to your phone. Beleive me Android is not worth it.

blairh
Apr 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
Android does this so that you don't have to wait for a recently used app to open again. If I open my task manager right now, I probably have 30 apps on there. If you look at what its doing, its not using any of the cpu, its just sitting there in a sleep mode basically. That way when I go to open that app again, it opens instantly. If I were to close that app out entirely, I would have to wait as it re-opened when I wanted it again. Just because there is an app on your recent list doesn't mean that its active and running.

Thanks so much for you answer. That clears it up.

Could you also clear up the internal storage versus phone storage question I had earlier? Is it simply a matter of Android adding apps to your internal storage first and then using your phone storage once the internal is full? I was watching a YouTube video on the One X and the video author was saying how he might have to soon delete some apps because he was running low on internal storage, yet he had tons of phone storage remaining. :confused:

Sedrick
Apr 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Have fun waiting for your OS updates, you will end up with great Hardware waiting for the new OS to get to your phone. Beleive me Android is not worth it.
I was just admiring how this thread was relatively free of flames, considering the subject matter. People actually answering questions about the HTC One X.

Thank you for single-handedly reinforcing the idea that you can't have a conversion about Android here without needless bashing.

naths
Apr 13, 2012, 04:45 PM

silly little boy....:mad:

mrbutters
Apr 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks so much for you answer. That clears it up.

Could you also clear up the internal storage versus phone storage question I had earlier? Is it simply a matter of Android adding apps to your internal storage first and then using your phone storage once the internal is full? I was watching a YouTube video on the One X and the video author was saying how he might have to soon delete some apps because he was running low on internal storage, yet he had tons of phone storage remaining. :confused:

In Android's early stages, everything you downloaded went to your phone. Obviously this took up a lot of space if you had many apps and it slowed some phones down. Froyo (Android 2.2) was the first to let apps be downloaded directly to your SD card as long as the dev of that app allowed it. Some devs don't allow it because for whatever reason, it was making apps behave oddly. However, you can still move the app to the SD card once its been downloaded, so its not a big deal.

fertilized-egg
Apr 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
Could you also clear up the internal storage versus phone storage question I had earlier? Is it simply a matter of Android adding apps to your internal storage first and then using your phone storage once the internal is full?

Somebody corrects me if I'm wrong since my experience isn't with One X. But how Android works is that the memory is partitioned so you get a dedicated space for apps, and another block of space for everything else.

For example, an Android with 16G memory might only have 2G or less dedicated for apps and the rest for data. If your apps partition is full, then you cannot install app even if you have space left on your data partition. You can install apps on the other partition using work around but often it's not recommended or not allowed, although you could probably work around those issues if you try hard enough. (the actual partitioning is a bit more complicated than this. I'm simplifying things here)

To work around this issue, many Android apps store apps in the app storage, and store the big data, such as graphics, separately on the internal data storage.

Now with Ice Cream Sandwitch, this was supposed to be a thing of a past, putting everything in a single "drive". However I've read that HTC decided to stick with the older partitioning scheme for One X and thus you're still limited by the app storage. However this has the advantage of allowing the mass storage support through USB. The newer Ice Cream Sandwich phones generally do not support the mass storage USB mode like older Android phones because it cannot account for the newer single partition mode.

And..yes this is one of the reasons why I prefer iOS even though I do have an Android phone. (also a Windows Phone 7, but that's another story) But my cheapskate mind still cannot succumb to the long contract. My wife being one in the family is enough.

Invincibilizer
Apr 13, 2012, 05:49 PM

Thanks I would rather have a new OS- Ice Cream Sandwich with Sense overlay rather than an iOS interface that has remained the same even with 10+ updates for several years now.

lordofthereef
Apr 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks I would rather have a new OS- Ice Cream Sandwich with Sense overlay rather than an iOS interface that has remained the same even with 10+ updates for several years now.

I've used various versions of Sense and have been happy with them. HTC started out pretty well with updates but have faltered since then. This seems to be a big flagship device so hopefully they don't drop the ball. I am pretty excited about this phone.

cpuguy18
Apr 13, 2012, 06:08 PM

my 4s battery only last 6 hours. much worse than my xperia play.

mrbutters
Apr 13, 2012, 06:21 PM

I have to agree here although I am one of the ones who think Sense has actually gotten worse. I miss how simple and unobtrusive the first few builds were. Same goes for TW although the Galaxy SII is a great phone. I really like MotoBlur on my Razr and don't know how I ever lived without Motocast. Being able to stream music and movies from my home computer and not having to take up space on my phone or SD card is just awesome.

lordofthereef
Apr 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
my 4s battery only last 6 hours. much worse than my xperia play.

That's worse than most. I'd get that thing swapped out if I were you.

kdarling
Apr 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Froyo (Android 2.2) was the first to let apps be downloaded directly to your SD card as long as the dev of that app allowed it.

Some devs don't allow it because for whatever reason, it was making apps behave oddly.

When the phone boots up, it might have to run some downloaded code at startup, including apps like a replacement homescreen launcher app, widgets, live wallpaper, etc.

Sometimes this can happen before the SD card gets properly mounted.

Therefore any code that needs to be run at startup, needs at least its core pieces to be in main storage that's always ready to go, in order to not experience a delay and possible problems.

Invincibilizer
Apr 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
I have to agree here although I am one of the ones who think Sense has actually gotten worse. I miss how simple and unobtrusive the first few builds were. Same goes for TW although the Galaxy SII is a great phone. I really like MotoBlur on my Razr and don't know how I ever lived without Motocast. Being able to stream music and movies from my home computer and not having to take up space on my phone or SD card is just awesome.

I'm actually one of those people who is sadden by HTC's attempt to lighten up on sense. I miss the 3D animations and the carousel scrolling that is gone from previous versions, but Sense 4 did integrate with ICS very well. As for TouchWiz, to me it's one of the worst android overlays. The font is too big, aesthetics isn't there but the customization is decent with re sizable widgets.

I was actually settling on Galaxy S2 as my next device(first time moving to android) until I saw how different TouchWiz and Sense was. Sense although many consider it bloated, it has much more in depth features that TouchWiz didn't provide.

blairh
Apr 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
Somebody corrects me if I'm wrong since my experience isn't with One X. But how Android works is that the memory is partitioned so you get a dedicated space for apps, and another block of space for everything else.

For example, an Android with 16G memory might only have 2G or less dedicated for apps and the rest for data. If your apps partition is full, then you cannot install app even if you have space left on your data partition. You can install apps on the other partition using work around but often it's not recommended or not allowed, although you could probably work around those issues if you try hard enough. (the actual partitioning is a bit more complicated than this. I'm simplifying things here)

To work around this issue, many Android apps store apps in the app storage, and store the big data, such as graphics, separately on the internal data storage.

Now with Ice Cream Sandwitch, this was supposed to be a thing of a past, putting everything in a single "drive". However I've read that HTC decided to stick with the older partitioning scheme for One X and thus you're still limited by the app storage. However this has the advantage of allowing the mass storage support through USB. The newer Ice Cream Sandwich phones generally do not support the mass storage USB mode like older Android phones because it cannot account for the newer single partition mode.

And..yes this is one of the reasons why I prefer iOS even though I do have an Android phone. (also a Windows Phone 7, but that's another story) But my cheapskate mind still cannot succumb to the long contract. My wife being one in the family is enough.

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that you can only store 2 GB of apps onto the One X? I know for a fact that the One X uses the internal and phone storage method, however I do not know for a fact if there is an app space limit like 2 GB or if your apps simply transfer over to your phone storage once the internal is at capacity.

I know it's iOS and not Android but as a reference I have over 2 GB of apps currently on my iPhone and I wouldn't want to delete any of them. I could never use a smartphone that limits me to 2 GB of apps. :confused:

Invincibilizer
Apr 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
Wait a minute. Are you telling me that you can only store 2 GB of apps onto the One X? I know for a fact that the One X uses the internal and phone storage method, however I do not know for a fact if there is an app space limit like 2 GB or if your apps simply transfer over to your phone storage once the internal is at capacity.

I know it's iOS and not Android but as a reference I have over 2 GB of apps currently on my iPhone and I wouldn't want to delete any of them. I could never use a smartphone that limits me to 2 GB of apps. :confused:

2GB of app storage is absurd. I'm fairly confident that once the 2GB partitioned area is filled, the rest of the storage can also be used for apps. So a total of 10GB for everything seems more likely even if parts of it are partitioned...

mrbutters
Apr 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
I'm actually one of those people who is sadden by HTC's attempt to lighten up on sense. I miss the 3D animations and the carousel scrolling that is gone from previous versions, but Sense 4 did integrate with ICS very well. As for TouchWiz, to me it's one of the worst android overlays. The font is too big, aesthetics isn't there but the customization is decent with re sizable widgets.

I was actually settling on Galaxy S2 as my next device(first time moving to android) until I saw how different TouchWiz and Sense was. Sense although many consider it bloated, it has much more in depth features that TouchWiz didn't provide.

Remember that you can always download a launcher to run over Sense or TW. I like Go Launcher

Invincibilizer
Apr 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
Remember that you can always download a launcher to run over Sense or TW. I like Go Launcher

Sense wouldn't need go launcher but I might just download it to experience the windows phone 7 theme. It can never be a full time OS but it would be fun to use it as well as showing WP7 users that windows phone can be had on an android device.

TouchWiz would definitely require go launcher, I'm impressed by the customization done on youtube by various users installing different things to turn a TW interface in to a stock ICS one.

fertilized-egg
Apr 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Wait a minute. Are you telling me that you can only store 2 GB of apps onto the One X? ... and I wouldn't want to delete any of them. I could never use a smartphone that limits me to 2 GB of apps. :confused:

Sorry, no, you should be able to move the apps around to the other partition when one partition runs out of room. But it got confusing and frustrating as heck on my phone, almost mainly because I switched between ROMs and Android versions very frequently. (Also Samsung famously screwed up the NAND ROM configuration in my original Galaxy S, which didn't help)

It can never be a full time OS but it would be fun to use it as well as showing WP7 users that windows phone can be had on an android device.

Matching the superficial look is only part of the equation. As much flak as Microsoft gets, WP7 is usually impressively smooth - as long as 3rd party apps and IE aren't involved and my Android phone which while old is still faster in hardware than my WP7, doesn't even come close in smoothness.

DAVIDUGLY
Apr 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
love iPhone, still feel nothing comes close and will always use it for
our office line...we run the business on that device and couldn't imagine otherwise... but for personal off hours use, we LOVE our One X phones.
Had them for the last few days and can't stop,
really a lot of fun. Especially after moving everything non-work related, from email to calendars, over to G-Mail and Google.
Bravo HTC, highly recommend.

Invincibilizer
Apr 13, 2012, 11:08 PM
Sorry, no, you should be able to move the apps around to the other partition when one partition runs out of room. But it got confusing and frustrating as heck on my phone, almost mainly because I switched between ROMs and Android versions very frequently. (Also Samsung famously screwed up the NAND ROM configuration in my original Galaxy S, which didn't help)

Matching the superficial look is only part of the equation. As much flak as Microsoft gets, WP7 is usually impressively smooth - as long as 3rd party apps and IE aren't involved and my Android phone which while old is still faster in hardware than my WP7, doesn't even come close in smoothness.

WP7 isn't as intricate as Android though. With dual core processors in phones like the One X, it is also butter smooth which is impressive considering how it has ICS and Sense on top of it.

WP7 to me is a nice custom look, I'm not interested in total integration so if the basic interface is changed, I'm content. As for the true smoothness of WP7 devices, the same can be said about high end and soon to be released Android phones with ICS for optimized speeds and dual core processors to prevent lag.

blairh
Apr 13, 2012, 11:30 PM

If someone can confirm this that would be great. Also I'm curious if apps simply are stored by default on the phone storage after the internal storage is full.

I have to think that if any Android device was limited to 2 GB for apps then I would have heard about this before.

mrbutters
Apr 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
If someone can confirm this that would be great. Also I'm curious if apps simply are stored by default on the phone storage after the internal storage is full.

I have to think that if any Android device was limited to 2 GB for apps then I would have heard about this before.

The One X has 32GB of internal storage. 26GB is actually useable for apps.

Invincibilizer
Apr 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
The One X has 32GB of internal storage. 26GB is actually useable for apps.

No the U.S One X(ATT and Sprint) only has 16GB of storage, the international version One XL has 32 GB.

mrbutters
Apr 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
No the U.S One X(ATT and Sprint) only has 16GB of storage, the international version One XL has 32 GB.

Either way, still beats 2GB :)

walie
Apr 14, 2012, 01:30 AM

2 Gigs is dedicated for apps. Apps that have a lot of supplementary data (ie graphics and music in games) generally allocate those to the storage memory (the other partition) when downloaded, meaning the fundamental data (user info, the app itself) acutally takes up very little space, so the 2 gigs is actually a lot. Now, if you find yourself downloading tons of apps and approaching the 2 gig limit, you also have the option of moving the ENTIRE app to the storage partition, with the side effect of making the app completely unaccessible when the storage partition is mounted (connected to computer)

kevinof
Apr 14, 2012, 03:21 AM
Well if its anything like my Galaxy Nexus - 16GB in total, 13.3 GB available for apps (and photos and audio etc). Guess the 16GB One X would be the same.

fertilized-egg
Apr 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
If someone can confirm this that would be great.

Here's the HTC site that confirms it:
http://www.htc.com/help/www/howto_iframe.aspx?id=141907&type=1&p_id=440

Actually earlier Android devices had much less space for apps and it was more difficult to move apps around which made it a real problem for many users. When I got my first Android I was pretty surprised that it didn't get much attention in discussion of different OSes.

Well if its anything like my Galaxy Nexus - 16GB in total, 13.3 GB available for apps (and photos and audio etc). Guess the 16GB One X would be the same.

Starting with Galaxy Nexus, ICS uses a different configuration. Apparently HTC doesn't use that with One X and it's more of the old school Android repartitioning.

aerok
Apr 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
I would actually prefer getting the One S.

4.3 inches was actually a bit too big for my hands, can't even imagine 4.7. But both phones are amazing, I believe a fix will come out to make the One X battery 15-20% better, a bug that was found by someone in XDA.

I like my 4S but I wish battery life was better.

blairh
Apr 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
2 Gigs is dedicated for apps. Apps that have a lot of supplementary data (ie graphics and music in games) generally allocate those to the storage memory (the other partition) when downloaded, meaning the fundamental data (user info, the app itself) acutally takes up very little space, so the 2 gigs is actually a lot. Now, if you find yourself downloading tons of apps and approaching the 2 gig limit, you also have the option of moving the ENTIRE app to the storage partition, with the side effect of making the app completely unaccessible when the storage partition is mounted (connected to computer)

So if you approach your 2 GB limit with respect to the internal storage then you have to manually move some of your apps to the phone storage? This sounds like a nightmare, no?

mrbutters
Apr 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
So if you approach your 2 GB limit with respect to the internal storage then you have to manually move some of your apps to the phone storage? This sounds like a nightmare, no?

No, it has 16GB of internal storage and if you do need to move apps, it's as simple as selecting one and choosing "move to SD card"

blairh
Apr 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
Here's the HTC site that confirms it:
http://www.htc.com/help/www/howto_iframe.aspx?id=141907&type=1&p_id=440

I think I copy and pasted that link earlier in this thread. So what you are saying is that you are limited to 2 GB of apps on your One X? (Unless the One X downloads most of your apps to the 'phone storage'?)

This is the video that raised my concerns. The video author was bitching that down the road he would have to keep a close eye on the space he had left for apps.

blairh
Apr 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
No, it has 16GB of internal storage and if you do need to move apps, it's as simple as selecting one and choosing "move to SD card"

Okay. It would still be better if there was no need to manually move apps in the first place.

By SD card you mean the non-removable micro SD card, correct?

aerok
Apr 14, 2012, 10:03 AM

It's usually games that take up a lot of space, most games that do automatically moves the larger files to the external memory.

fertilized-egg
Apr 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
I think I copy and pasted that link earlier in this thread. So what you are saying is that you are limited to 2 GB of apps on your One X? (Unless the One X downloads most of your apps to the 'phone storage'?)

No no, here's the quote from the page:

On the Application storage screen:
Tap Move apps to phone storage if there are apps that you can transfer to the phone storage. ... Free up more space in the internal storage by moving apps to the phone storage.

You can move apps around to make room.

This is the video that raised my concerns. The video author was bitching that down the road he would have to keep a close eye on the space he had left for apps.

Because you have to actively manage apps by moving them around, clearing the cache, etc, if you're running out of room. It's so much easier on mind if you just have one single space for everything and let the system manage the details. The stock ICS does that but then you lose the mass storage device access.

But at least the HTC One X has ample built-in space. Some of older Android phones such as HTC EVO, Desire, etc all had very limited amount of built-in memory and had to use SD card for storage, which introduced all sorts of problems. This is the kind of small implementation detail and usability issues that never came up when Macrumors had all those "HTC EVO will kill iPhone!" discussions back in 2010, and why I personally still prefer iOS over Android.

blairh
Apr 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
No no, here's the quote from the page:

You can move apps around to make room.

Because you have to actively manage apps by moving them around, clearing the cache, etc, if you're running out of room. It's so much easier on mind if you just have one single space for everything and let the system manage the details. The stock ICS does that but then you lose the mass storage device access.

But at least the HTC One X has ample built-in space. Some of older Android phones such as HTC EVO, Desire, etc all had very limited amount of built-in memory and had to use SD card for storage, which introduced all sorts of problems. This is the kind of small implementation detail and usability issues that never came up when Macrumors had all those "HTC EVO will kill iPhone!" discussions back in 2010, and why I personally still prefer iOS over Android.

As long as you can manually transfer any apps to the phone storage, then I guess there is no issue, but that is still a slightly annoying requirement (if you run out of space in the first place).

Tap Move apps to phone storage if there are apps that you can transfer to the phone storage

Am I wrong to find this wordage a bit troubling? It seems like they are implying that not all apps can be transfered to phone storage?

mrbutters
Apr 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
As long as you can manually transfer any apps to the phone storage, then I guess there is no issue, but that is still a slightly annoying requirement (if you run out of space in the first place).

Tap Move apps to phone storage if there are apps that you can transfer to the phone storage

Am I wrong to find this wordage a bit troubling? It seems like they are implying that not all apps can be transfered to phone storage?

How many apps would you be planning to use? I have had several Android phones with well over 70 apps and never had an issue with space. Android apps tend to be much smaller than iOS apps but at least you can always swap in a new card and get more storage space.

naths
Apr 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
If you were to fill 2gb with apps you would have 100s!!!!, and trust me its no trouble at all, takes about 10secs, iv got every app i'll ever need and i'v well over 1.5gb left!!....

blairh
Apr 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
How many apps would you be planning to use? I have had several Android phones with well over 70 apps and never had an issue with space. Android apps tend to be much smaller than iOS apps but at least you can always swap in a new card and get more storage space.

I think I currently have 85 apps on my iPhone. All ones that I use too (yes, seriously).

I don't believe you can swap any cards with the One X. You are stuck with the onboard storage space (a touch less than 16 GB for the US model).

As long as it moves apps to the phone storage or I can manually do it, then it's a non issue at the end of the day. The only red flag is if someone tells me I can't have more than 2 GB of apps on my (potential) One XL.

aerok
Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
I think I currently have 85 apps on my iPhone. All ones that I use too (yes, seriously).

I don't believe you can swap any cards with the One X. You are stuck with the onboard storage space (a touch less than 16 GB for the US model).

As long as it moves apps to the phone storage or I can manually do it, then it's a non issue at the end of the day. The only red flag is if someone tells me I can't have more than 2 GB of apps on my (potential) One XL.

Unless you plan on having many games, 2GBs of apps won't be much of an issue.

and like I previously said, big games usually installs on the sd card by itself.

I owned 4 Android phones in the past, I only ahd issues with space with the HTC Dream because it had something like 20 mb for apps.

Eddie Bombay
Apr 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
I have the HTC ONE X but went back to my Galaxy Note after a while. Stay with the 4S if you have to choose between those two. Horrible battery life, screen is too small lol (once you go Note, anything under 5" is a joke).

IMO: Galaxy Note > iPhone 4S > HTC ONE X

fertilized-egg
Apr 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Horrible battery life, screen is too small lol (once you go Note, anything under 5" is a joke).

I'm not even sure if Galaxy Note is a true direct competitor to iPhone. Note is a very sleek device but if I were in the market for one and someone offered a 7" tablet with smaller bezel, I'll easily pick that over Note and the 7" tablet would probably be a lot cheaper to boot. There is a market for device like Note but I'm not sure if it's in Apple's best interest to spend energy on that market at this time.

blairh
Apr 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Unless you plan on having many games, 2GBs of apps won't be much of an issue.

and like I previously said, big games usually installs on the sd card by itself.

I owned 4 Android phones in the past, I only ahd issues with space with the HTC Dream because it had something like 20 mb for apps.

I don't want to be limited to 2 GB of apps. I don't think many others do too. As long as you can move the apps to the phone storage it's a non issue.

----------

I have the HTC ONE X but went back to my Galaxy Note after a while. Stay with the 4S if you have to choose between those two. Horrible battery life, screen is too small lol (once you go Note, anything under 5" is a joke).

I'm not too concerned about the battery talk because there are no official reviews of the US version of the One X. I would also read every single official review before seriously considering a purchase.

The Note is terrible IMO. If it works for you, cool, but it's impossible to use one handed and simply way too big for most consumers.

Dangerdog3000
Apr 14, 2012, 06:48 PM

SCREEN IS TOO SMALL?? The iPhone must feel like an iPod Nano to you then.

naths
Apr 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
If you ever manage to fill the 2gb of space the phone will default to sd storage....so nothing to worry about....

Invincibilizer
Apr 15, 2012, 05:54 PM

HTC One X > iPhone4S > Galaxy Note

iPhone4s is undersized now and galaxy note is just too large for a phone. Even the HTC One X is too large to be used one handed but it does have an HD display with ICS and Sense 4 which puts it over the iPhone.

walie
Apr 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
I don't want to be limited to 2 GB of apps. I don't think many others do too. As long as you can move the apps to the phone storage it's a non issue.

You will never reach the 2GB limit. Ever.

You seem to have a narrow view of this issue as you've glossed over the reality of this "limit" that myself and others have indicated. I propose trying to "think different" to understand.

surjavarman
Apr 16, 2012, 01:27 AM
I am sorry but the two best phones right now is the One S and the One X.

It goes like this

One S = One X > Note > Nexus > iphone 4s.

Since the HTC one S and X are on the market now, I really don't see any reason to get any of the other phones. You either wait for the SGS3 or iphone5 or get a S/X now.

Or if you fall into that niche go for the Note.

hawk1410
Apr 16, 2012, 01:38 AM
One X is good but i utterly hate HTCs Sense UI. I guees with all of android's flexibility there would be a a way to get stock Android 4.0 on there. If that can run stably then i guess it is the perfect phone currently on the market, atleast until the new iPhone comes out, then hopefully the iPhone is better. But if it isn't i guess I am getting this or the newer Google Nexus

mrbutters
Apr 16, 2012, 03:03 AM
Since the HTC one S and X are on the market now, I really don't see any reason to get any of the other phones. You either wait for the SGS3 or iphone5 or get a S/X

If someone (like me and many others) wants the best battery life of any phone on the market, they might opt for a phone like the Razr Maxx. I know I did. Also has arguably the best build quality of any phone on the market with its stainless steel sides, Kevlar backing and Gorilla Glass. Add in the fast dual core processor with dual channel RAM and Motorola's usual solid radios and call quality and you have a phone many will like. It's still making top Android phones lists, so I think there are more and better choices than the phones you mentioned.

jeffe
Apr 16, 2012, 03:39 AM
What are your thoughts about waiting for updates?

If someone (like me and many others) wants the best battery life of any phone on the market, they might opt for a phone like the Razr Maxx. I know I did. Also has arguably the best build quality of any phone on the market with its stainless steel sides, Kevlar backing and Gorilla Glass. Add in the fast dual core processor with dual channel RAM and Motorola's usual solid radios and call quality and you have a phone many will like. It's still making top Android phones lists, so I think there are more and better choices than the phones you mentioned.

surjavarman
Apr 16, 2012, 03:46 AM

Every phone can make phone calls and every phone nowadays has gorilla glass. The razr maxx sucks unless you get it for the battery life. Thats a valid reason. Otherwise the above mentioned are just better.

Razr maxx vs One S
One S has the same screen but a significantly better processor

Razr maxx vs One X
One X has the better screen and a significantly better processor

Razr maxx vs Nexus
Nexus has the better screen and processor.

So nope there are no more and better choice than what I have mentioned. The One X and the One S are truly the BEST phones on the market. There is simply no other phone out there thats better than those two phones. Not the iphone 4s, not the note, not the nexus, not the razr, not the razr maxx. There is simply nothing better. If you say otherwise than you are a fanboy and you are biased

Padraig
Apr 16, 2012, 05:27 AM
The girlfriends 4 went for a bath last Friday and I was really surprised - she's had iPhones for three years now - to see that she replaced it with a One X.

She was of the opinion that the 4S "was just too old looking", but had there been a new iPhone with a bigger screen she'd have gone for that.

I honestly thought that she'd buy the latest iPhone even if Apple never changed the external design.

mrbutters
Apr 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Every phone can make phone calls and every phone nowadays has gorilla glass. The razr maxx sucks unless you get it for the battery life. Thats a valid reason. Otherwise the above mentioned are just better.

Razr maxx vs One S
One S has the same screen but a significantly better processor

Razr maxx vs One X
One X has the better screen and a significantly better processor

Razr maxx vs Nexus
Nexus has the better screen and processor.

So nope there are no more and better choice than what I have mentioned. The One X and the One S are truly the BEST phones on the market. There is simply no other phone out there thats better than those two phones. Not the iphone 4s, not the note, not the nexus, not the razr, not the razr maxx. There is simply nothing better. If you say otherwise than you are a fanboy and you are biased

Depends on who you ask. The Maxx excels in two areas that matter most to many people, battery life and speed. The One x has terrible battery life. Reports coming in from everywhere that the battery drops to 50% after 90 minutes of moderate use. My Maxx will still be up at 85%-90% easily. The One S with its 1650mah battery isn't much better. Then you take into account that Verizon's LTE is way faster than T Mobiles faux 4G that's really 3G and faster than AT&Ts LTE in most markets and the processor comparisons don't matter. Even if they benchmark faster than the Maxx, in real world uses, things like web browsing and streaming movies will perform better on the faster network.

blairh
Apr 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
You will never reach the 2GB limit. Ever.

You seem to have a narrow view of this issue as you've glossed over the reality of this "limit" that myself and others have indicated. I propose trying to "think different" to understand.

Don't be condescending to me. It's disrespectful and completely unnecessary.

I know iOS apps are different than Android ones, however I have well over 2 GB of apps on my iPhone. Also, I don't think it should surprise you that me or anyone else would be put off by a 2 GB app limit. There should be no limit to how many apps you can add to your smartphone (with total GB storage into consideration).

As I've already stated, as long as you can move your apps from internal to phone storage, then this is a moot point. But if you can't, then I think that's something to seriously consider.

Eddie Bombay
Apr 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
The Note is too big? What are you all under 6 feet or something? Gotta be kidding me... I'm only 6'3 and it fits like a glove in my hand. No issues using it with one hand and it's used with one hand 95% of the time.

HTC One X is a good phone, but that size difference from the Note in my hands is noticeable and add that w/ the battery life... It's a no go for me. Just stick to your iPhone 4S if you can't handle the Note. At least with the 4S you have great battery life and iOS & a great app market.

Tarzanman
Apr 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM

chakraj
Apr 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
4s doesnt have great battery life. My galaxy Nexus gets better battery life than my 4s did.

DodgeV83
Apr 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
The Note is too big? What are you all under 6 feet or something? Gotta be kidding me... I'm only 6'3 and it fits like a glove in my hand. No issues using it with one hand and it's used with one hand 95% of the time.

HTC One X is a good phone, but that size difference from the Note in my hands is noticeable and add that w/ the battery life... It's a no go for me. Just stick to your iPhone 4S if you can't handle the Note. At least with the 4S you have great battery life and iOS & a great app market.

Is your one hand usage on the Note anything like this?

If so, holding the phone almost flat in your hand (looks about 20 degrees), while balancing on four fingers and hunched over is not what people are looking for when they try to use their device with one hand. I think that's why some are confused, it's not that you can't use it with one hand, it's that it's not comfortable.

Eddie Bombay
Apr 17, 2012, 10:33 AM

If so, holding the phone almost flat in your hand (looks about 20 degrees), while balancing on four fingers and hunched over is not what people are looking for when they try to use their device with one hand. I think that's why some are confused, it's not that you can't use it with one hand, it's that it's not comfortable.

Nah I am able to grip the other side. That way in the video looks too dangerous, major risk of dropping the phone.

mrbutters
Apr 17, 2012, 12:08 PM

I love large screens and I also found the Note to be too big. If you can hold it in one hand and tap anything around the bottom of the screen but you can also get your thumb up high enough to swipe down the notification bar, you have a freakishly large thumb. Sure, you can shift it around with your fingers but who wants to sit there doing that? Its too much work. Its definitely a two handed device and many people don't want a phone that large. I find 4.3 to be my sweet spot. Large enough to read text from a good distance but still small enough for one hand use and to be used as an actual phone.

Sdahe
Apr 17, 2012, 12:28 PM
Yes... 100%

DodgeV83
Apr 18, 2012, 11:13 AM

Consider checking out the XDA forum for possible issues with this phone. I know the HTC One S doesn't currently work with Skype, or some games like Grand Theft Auto 3 (audio issues).

This thread might be a good place to start:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1582151

naths
Apr 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
Consider checking out the XDA forum for possible issues with this phone. I know the HTC One S doesn't currently work with Skype, or some games like Grand Theft Auto 3 (audio issues).

This thread might be a good place to start:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1582151

HTC just released an update, should take care of all the so called bugs.....had my One X for a couple of weeks now, not one single issue!!, its the same with any phone forum, in relation to how many products are sold wether it be iPhone or android(specific phone model), there will always be bugs and issues, and the very very few people that do have issues, either iPhone or android will always post in these forums, the One X is the best phone on the market at the moment, and next week when samsung releases the SGS3 that will be on a par with the One X at least.

andyx3x
Apr 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
I held the T-Mobile version of this phone tonight. I was very impressed with the hardware. It's the thinnest smartphone I've ever seen. I'm really looking forward to playing around with one.

DanBurns91
Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 AM

Look at this first :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iutd8PzRtCc

Lindenhurst
Apr 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Not sure I believe the browser test. Obviously something was wrong with the one x's connection, or the test was flawed

----------

I'm not even sure if Galaxy Note is a true direct competitor to iPhone. Note is a very sleek device but if I were in the market for one and someone offered a 7" tablet with smaller bezel, I'll easily pick that over Note and the 7" tablet would probably be a lot cheaper to boot. There is a market for device like Note but I'm not sure if it's in Apple's best interest to spend energy on that market at this time.

I think apple would worry about a large screen iPhone cutting into iPad sales.

DAVIDUGLY
Apr 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
I have the international versions of the One X and I think it's a truly fantastic device in every way. I have two of them, one gray and one white, and have never had any issue with either so far.
I highly recommend.

MacRumorUser
Apr 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
I have a white One X and it's a great phone, but i still have issues with battery life, even after a clean factory restore. I'm not running tons of background tasks (Android always makes me OCD about making sure of things like multitasking and memory) so I'm not sure the issue.

(Past 12-18 months phone wise | android - previously had a Sensation, Sensation XE, Galaxy S2 and a Galaxy Nexus, Blackberry - had a Torch 9860 and a Bold 9900, Meego - had a black N9, and then Windows 7 - had Lumia 800)

I do still prefer iOS over Android or any other OS for a number of reasons, though I'll probably be voted down for saying that. For me personally I'd love the One X handset if it was running iOS more so than android. That doesn't mean I think iOS is perfect, it's just after using almost every other mobile smartphone Operating System, i have come to appreciate the little things that I used to take for granted on iOS. I still think the N9's meego social updates page is the best of any handset though.

I'll probably sell this off and try a Blackberry London eventually.

I also have a 64GB White iPhone 4S which is my main phone, and the one that I tend to use the most.

The One X is the best android phone i've used though, and whilst I've only done basic tests between handsets (4S & One X) both tend to be similar speed wise for me with 4S winning some, and One X others. As I said my biggest bug bear has been battery life. The 4S tends to have 30-40% battery life left by 11pm for me, the One X has normally run out of juice by then unless I charge it during the day too. That's despite the 4S being used more.

blairh
Apr 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
I've been paying close attention to the One X for some weeks now. I've watched almost every review video that I can find on YouTube. There seems to be two issues that keep popping up:

1. Battery Life. It seems like more than half the reviews make a point to mention that the One X has questionable battery life. This is of course incredibly important as no hardware/software can shine if you can't properly use your smartphone to your liking. (Essentially getting through a day without fretting.)

2. Time it takes to recharge battery. I watched a few vids where the author said it took an unusually long amount of time to recharge the One X battery. One of the many things that I like about my iP4 is that the battery charges very quickly.

I've also read on a few sites that the LTE model actually gets better battery life compared to the international edition. I'm going to closely follow some threads on XDA Developers and read up all the One X LTE reviews to see if there is some truth to that.

One thing that is already quite annoying from the start is that there is only 10 GB of space for apps and whatnot. (Yes it states 16 GB but once you go to settings it says you only have 9.8 available. Learned this from an XDA thread.)

Gix1k
Apr 26, 2012, 01:55 PM
Just another HTC battery hog....NO THANKS!

mrbutters
Apr 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Look at this first :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iutd8PzRtCc

cameras are no big deal and the browser test was rigged. They didn't set the One X to disable flash. The iPhone doesn't even load flash so of course it would be faster with the One X set up like that. Nice try though.

TheBigKing
Apr 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
i sold my One X This Monday Back to iphone love the phone but battery sucks sense sucks the only phone that i change my iphone it's from a nexus ;)

DodgeV83
Apr 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
cameras are no big deal and the browser test was rigged. They didn't set the One X to disable flash. The iPhone doesn't even load flash so of course it would be faster with the One X set up like that. Nice try though.

Cameras are a big deal to a lot of people. There is a whole community of "iphoneographers" with dedicated websites, forums and apps dealing with iPhone photography.

Here's the sample I usually show people:

http://www.iphoneography.com/journal/tag/through-the-lens-of-an-iphone

That being said, I'm sure the Android phone in the video could just use a different app that works faster, the tests do seem to be cherry picked here.

The browser test especially seems to be cherry picked, that being said, it's not abnormal for a test to be done as the phone is configured "out of the box". If the phone comes with flash enabled by default, it's a valid test.

Valid, but cherry picked :)

Briax
Apr 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
For any of you who is thinking of switching to Android, I think you should take a look at these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

It's a series of 4 videos.
I actually sold my 4S after watching this, and kept my Galaxy Nexus.
Will probably get down-voted a lot on this forum, but I think that these videos puts the whole "iOS is so much better than..." into perspective :)

Ohh - and for the One X? Just got one in the house, and DAMN that phone is sexy!! When it comes to battery life, don't worry about it that much. The folks at XDA will probably soon start making amazing kernels and ROMS for this thing :)

Best of luck whether you're sticking with iOS or you're going Android!

DodgeV83
Apr 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
For any of you who is thinking of switching to Android, I think you should take a look at these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

It's a series of 4 videos.
I actually sold my 4S after watching this, and kept my Galaxy Nexus.
Will probably get down-voted a lot on this forum, but I think that these videos puts the whole "iOS is so much better than..." into perspective :)

Ohh - and for the One X? Just got one in the house, and DAMN that phone is sexy!! When it comes to battery life, don't worry about it that much. The folks at XDA will probably soon start making amazing kernels and ROMS for this thing :)

Best of luck whether you're sticking with iOS or you're going Android!

I didn't have time to go through the whole hour worth of videos, but scrolling through I see he was clearly biased vs Android, giving the pros and not the cons.

If I saw it correctly he pirated an app during the video...installing "Cut The Rope" (didn't look like the free version) from an email attachment a friend sent him. He didn't seem to discuss the legal ramifications of this, the issues regarding developers not wanting to develop for Android due to the easy piracy this enables, nor did he mention the malware ramifications.

Again, I didn't watch the whole hour, so maybe it was addressed later, but it seemed highly biased to me. He ended that segment saying "This is the beauty of Android", where most people would consider it one of the primary downfalls of Android.

That's literally the only part of the video I watched, and was not impressed. Putting the same arguments in video form do not change the value of the arguments.

Satnam1989
Apr 26, 2012, 03:33 PM

Umm...I and many agree....1 Phone/Year is excellent.......not everyone have a money tree in the backyard....plus look at the quality of the Handsets running Android(I'm not complaining about the OS but the hardware instead)

Comparing JUST Hardware wise HTC, Samsung and Motorolla (/all android running smartphones) suffer in many more ways then any of Apple Smartphones did (again were not comparing OS just hardware). Why do you think that is? its because Manufacturers releasing phones running on Android aren't concerned about the thing called "Quality" but instead they are all in a endless race for "Quantity". I have owned Samsung and HTC phones in the past all hardware wise sucked FAR MORE THAN the APPLE iPHONE and had many issues. I had total of 3 Samsung Galaxy S 4G, 1 Samsung Galaxy S II and 1 Samsung Nexus S and 1 HTC Inspire. Talk about Flagship phones lol.....

I wish for once these Manufacturers truly dropped the race to release as many handsets/year and instead cared about "Quality" bring out the finest smartphones and I bet there would be something to talk about.

cynics
Apr 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Umm...I and many agree....1 Phone/Year is excellent.......not everyone have a money tree in the backyard....plus look at the quality of the Handsets running Android(I'm not complaining about the OS but the hardware instead)

Comparing JUST Hardware wise HTC, Samsung and Motorolla (/all android running smartphones) suffer in many more ways then any of Apple Smartphones did (again were not comparing OS just hardware). Why do you think that is? its because Manufacturers releasing phones running on Android aren't concerned about the thing called "Quality" but instead they are all in a endless race for "Quantity". I have owned Samsung and HTC phones in the past all hardware wise sucked FAR MORE THAN the APPLE iPHONE and had many issues. I had total of 3 Samsung Galaxy S 4G, 1 Samsung Galaxy S II and 1 Samsung Nexus S and 1 HTC Inspire. Talk about Flagship phones lol.....

I wish for once these Manufacturers truly dropped the race to release as many handsets/year and instead cared about "Quality" bring out the finest smartphones and I bet there would be something to talk about.

Do me a favor. Goto ifixit.com and compare the circuitry quality of the Motorola razr vs the iPhone 4S. Without even comparing actual components youll see and obvious difference.

I don't think it has anything to do with quality. Think about it, glass FEELS like quality. It's heavy it's sturdy and looks great! But would you actually make a phone out of it? I'm forced to use a case cause of my line of work.

Apple has better marketing, better Eco system, and a massive cult following. All my friends have iPhones because they've been trained its the best. However they have never even READ anything about the competition. That's why apple comes out on top, plus it's a quality product but I wouldn't consider it the best currently.

chestvrg
Apr 26, 2012, 05:01 PM

How is battery life?

Briax
Apr 26, 2012, 05:20 PM

Did you forget about the iPhone 4? As I recall it had something with it's antenna. I don't know if you can call that a "quality" feature.. but oh well :)

DodgeV83
Apr 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
Did you forget about the iPhone 4? As I recall it had something with it's antenna. I don't know if you can call that a "quality" feature.. but oh well :)

My iPhone 4 had service in the elevator, while my previous phone didn't. That was way overblown IMO.

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
My iPhone 4 had service in the elevator, while my previous phone didn't. That was way overblown IMO.

The antenna issue had nothing to do with what you are speaking of. It had to do with how the phone was held. Not all phones were effected either, but many were. It was a big enough deal for a class action lawsuit to be successful along with Apple handing out free bumpers to those who asked for them in a certain time period.

DodgeV83
Apr 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
The antenna issue had nothing to do with what you are speaking of. It had to do with how the phone was held. Not all phones were effected either, but many were. It was a big enough deal for a class action lawsuit to be successful along with Apple handing out free bumpers to those who asked for them in a certain time period.

I am saying that no matter how I decided to hold the phone, I received better reception, being able to make calls in elevators that I was previously unable to.

I'm not sure this is worth getting into, as it's really not related to the thread, but there is evidence that all phones react the same way when held in a similar manner.

Any blog or media outlet will guarantee themselves a few million views whenever they write about Apple. One blogger was quoted saying that writing an iPhone article meant thousands of dollars in his pocket at the end of the week in ad revenue. A big incentive.

They handed out free cases to stem the huge media attention. They settled the class action lawsuit with the same result, free cases (or $15). I wouldn't consider that a victory, they could have had their free case a year earlier without suing. The iPhone 4 is still being sold today, without a free case, and was the second best selling smartphone last quarter, behind the iPhone 4S. The media stopped receiving clicks for their "antennagate" headlines and as a result stopped reporting on it.

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 06:11 PM
I am saying that no matter how I decided to hold the phone, I received better reception, being able to make calls in elevators that I was previously unable to.

I'm not sure this is worth getting into, as it's really not related to the thread, but there is evidence that all phones react the same way when held in a similar manner.

I don't doubt your statements are true. I am just saying it was a noticable problem. Interestingly, there have been no reports of the 4S doing the same, so obviously something changed. It's nice you had no issues with the 4. I wish I was that lucky. Having used many cell phones over the years I have never been able duplicate what my iPhone 4 did. With the 4, the problem could be duplicated every time with a single finger. My iPhone 4 was also hands down the worst at dropping calls. It's actually what got me into using cases in the first place.

DodgeV83
Apr 26, 2012, 06:14 PM
I don't doubt your statements are true. I am just saying it was a noticable problem. Interestingly, there have been no reports of the 4S doing the same, so obviously something changed. It's nice you had no issues with the 4. I wish I was that lucky. Having used many cell phones over the years I have never been able duplicate what my iPhone 4 did. With the 4, the problem could be duplicated every time with a single finger.

Honest question, if there were no antenna indicator, would you have noticed a difference? By that I mean, if you were on a call, could you literally end the call, or cause static in the call, by putting your finger in that spot?

Sure, I noticed the little bars go down, but my performance was still better than my previous phone.

MacRumorUser
Apr 26, 2012, 06:15 PM

All phones are not perfect. The galaxy nexus for me was a total nightmare. Got it at launch and for first month I couldn't make a call because of the 2g volume bug / hardware issue. It was main reason for exchanging it for different phone altogether.

The iPhone 4 likewise for me was a nightmare with dropped calls, thankfully the 4S is improved in this regard.
And yes I'm terminally left handed which may have contributed to the issues with the iphone 4.

Best 'smartphone' from the exhaustive list I've had in the past 18 months for call quality and reception was the blackberry bold 9900. Amazing call quality and reception even in the worst areas where all my other phones struggled. Just a shame almost everything else about blackberry 7 OS and it's 2" screen annoyed me.

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Honest question, if there were no antenna indicator, would you have noticed a difference? By that I mean, if you were on a call, could you literally end the call, or cause static in the call, by putting your finger in that spot?

Sure, I noticed the little bars go down, but my performance was still better than my previous phone.

Calls dropped, a LOT, however I didn't hear static ever. I would likely not have thought to put a case on it to make things better or notcied a correlation between holding it the way I hold it and dropped calls if I hadn't read about the problem this particular model of phone was having on sites like this one.

In my eyes, the problem was a design flaw. People were calling it "death grip". In my experience it was more like "death finger".

Satnam1989
Apr 26, 2012, 06:28 PM

lol is that all u can come up with? the 3 iPhones 4's (not 4S) we have in our home never suffered from the "Antennagate"(at least we never noticed it at any given point and nor did it bother anyone to the point that it had to be brought up) my first one did but then I did get it replaced and second one didn't seem to suffer from the issue. Yes iPhone's were affected but not each and every single one. what else can u point out? Didn't suffer from anything else....anyway u got any more things to point fingers at?

these arguments are nothing new it goes n on n on but we all know other manufacturers just don't build quality products and it comes down to just that....Im not saying any of the iPhone's was/is perfect but one thing for sure Quality was a top factor over quantity and is present.

DodgeV83
Apr 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Calls dropped, a LOT, however I didn't hear static ever. I would likely not have thought to put a case on it to make things better or notcied a correlation between holding it the way I hold it and dropped calls if I hadn't read about the problem this particular model of phone was having on sites like this one.

In my eyes, the problem was a design flaw. People were calling it "death grip". In my experience it was more like "death finger".

Ouch, that doesn't sound like a good experience at all. Sorry to hear that!

aphexacid
Apr 26, 2012, 06:32 PM
i'm digging this phones swag, but with the galaxy nexus only $399, i'm so tempted.

I dont care how better the hardware is, a clean build of andoird OS always makes it work and feel better.

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
lol is that all u can come up with? the 3 iPhones 4's (not 4S) we have in our home never suffered from the "Antennagate" my first one did but then I did get it replaced and second one didn't seem to suffer from the issue. Yes iPhone's were affected but not each and every single one. what else can u point out? Didn't suffer from anything else....u got any more?

When all you do is release one phone a year, you are expected to to launch a product of perfection for the very reasons you pointed out... they are NOT launching handfuls of phones every year. Is this sensible? Probably not, but when you are considered the best by the public that is what they come to expect.

As far as issues with the 4, dropped calls. Frankly it happens with all GSM iPhones, some more than others. Can't quite put my finger on why that is, but it's there. There is also the yellowing of screens, and screens that are too blue.

There are certainly problems, but this certainly isn't a d*** measuring contest, or at least I don't think it is.

blairh
Apr 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
I just got to spend roughly 40 minutes with the One X at AT&T. They did not have it on the floor but a nice sales rep let me play with it and we also had a long discussion about the current market of smartphones.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my iPhone 4 for some time. When the 4S wasn't worth doing so IMO, I essentially decided to just wait for the next iPhone in that time. I have however demoed a variety of devices in the past 8 months in stores including the a variety of Samsung devices and the Lumia 900. I had yet to play with a smartphone that impressed me.

This has now officially changed with the One X.

Let me preface by saying that none of this matters if battery life isn't up to par. I am going to wait and read the reviews with respect to the AT&T model coming to the market on May 6th. In the meantime, I will say that I was so impressed with the One X this afternoon that I'm seriously considering making the jump if it turns out the battery life is close to what I'm getting with my iPhone 4.

The first thing I noticed of course was that screen. It's amazing. Imagine the retina display blown up to 4.7". Even better, the screen lacks the bluish hue of my iPhone 4. I compared my iPhone 4 to the One X (same webpage on both) and it was clear that the iPhone 4 is bluish in color. I can't say enough about this screen.

Text is sharp and not a single pixel to be found. HD YouTube video clips honestly feels like you are watching a mini HDTV in your hand.

I was able to read text heavy desktop sites like Huffington Post and The Daily Mail without straining my eyes or zooming in. (I will say however that I was stuck using the stock Sense web browser and it's not on the same level as Safari. Especially noticed this with the few times I double tapped however I would use Chrome for Android so it's a non-issue.)

Sense isn't as great as stock ICS however it didn't seem like something I'd really loathe using either. There is the downside of course of being in the air with future OS updates, but I guess that's a cross-that-bridge-when-we-get-there situation.

The build quality of the One X is simply excellent. Unlike pretty much every Samsung device I've handled, this just screams quality. The polycarbonate backing is great to the touch and the curved backing reminds me of the days when holding my 3G iPhone was pleasurable. I thought the One X was going to be way too big and cumbersome but honestly it isn't. And this is coming from someone with small-ish adult male hands. I'm no fan of capacitive buttons but for some reason the ones on the One X did not bother me one bit. My one serious gripe is that the camera lens is flush and appears entirely prone to scratching when laid on a flat surface. I wouldn't use a case but I'd have to figure out some way of elevating the back of the One X so that the lens does not touch the flat surface.

My other gripe is the 16 GB of internal memory. That's pretty weak but I'd just have to be selective about what music I choose to keep on the device plus I can stream my entire music collection over wi-fi via Google Music. Despite the fact that we've discussed it here in the past, I'm still not entirely clear if the 2 GB of internal memory will allow me to (potentially) use the memory of the phone storage in case I run out of room for apps on the internal storage.

So, yeah, this phone is incredible. Like I said before I'm going to wait until all the reviews come out until I make my decision. If this phone has respectable battery life on LTE and no issues pop up in the upcoming months, then I think HTC might have a huge hit on their hands.

blairh
Apr 26, 2012, 06:38 PM
Some more pics I took....

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 06:47 PM
Ouch, that doesn't sounda like a good experience at all. Sorry to hear that!

Well, a case did "fix" it, so I suppose there could have been worse problems than this to have. Apple was also unwilling to swap the phone out since their official stance was basically "here, have a free bumper".

What kills me is 12 hours after purchasing the phone it ran through the wash, so Apple replaced it. I will never know if that first phone would have treated me better. :(

----------

i'm digging this phones swag, but with the galaxy nexus only $399, i'm so tempted.

I dont care how better the hardware is, a clean build of andoird OS always makes it work and feel better.

Give it a month. You will likely see CM9 on this thing in that time. Can;t speak for the camera though on a third party install. The camera on this phone is a beast, and a lot of that is software.

Satnam1989
Apr 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
When all you do is release one phone a year, you are expected to to launch a product of perfection for the very reasons you pointed out... they are NOT launching handfuls of phones every year. Is this sensible? Probably not, but when you are considered the best by the public that is what they come to expect.

As far as issues with the 4, dropped calls. Frankly it happens with all GSM iPhones, some more than others. Can't quite put my finger on why that is, but it's there. There is also the yellowing of screens, and screens that are too blue.

There are certainly problems, but this certainly isn't a d*** measuring contest, or at least I don't think it is.

no lie but i have yet to see a tint on any of the iPhone 4/4S that I have handled to date.....(I have handled 4 iPhone 4S to date and about 13 iPhone 4's(not 4S) as I was selling them over time in the past year n half)

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
no lie but i have yet to see a tint on any of the iPhone 4/4S that I have handled to date.....(I have handled 4 iPhone 4S to date and about 13 iPhone 4's(not 4S) as I was selling them over time in the past year n half)

Oh I believe you. I am just saying it is a known manufacturing defect. I have no idea how prevalent it is. At the end of the day, when you get a dud, whether you are the only one on earth, or one of thousands, you still end up having to spend extra time to hopefully get what you paid for. It's this way with virtually all products these days.

SurferMan
Apr 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
no lie but i have yet to see a tint on any of the iPhone 4/4S that I have handled to date.....(I have handled 4 iPhone 4S to date and about 13 iPhone 4's(not 4S) as I was selling them over time in the past year n half)Well my 4S is quite "yellowish" in tint vs my 4, and the 1st 4S I had was even worse and mainly why it was taken back. Noticed on friends 4S as well, though a buddy seems to have a quite blueish tint to his as well as my secretaries, which some people have commented on but not as much as the yellow tint issue.

LoloBond
Apr 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
lol look at the color of the orange on the X one.... I switch to Iphone and the main reason was the camera and that video just reaffirm it ... :D

Satnam1989
Apr 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Oh I believe you. I am just saying it is a known manufacturing defect. I have no idea how prevalent it is. At the end of the day, when you get a dud, whether you are the only one on earth, or one of thousands, you still end up having to spend extra time to hopefully get what you paid for. It's this way with virtually all products these days.

Another thing I do is buy used(about 1-2 months old usually after 2-3 months of launch)....rarely I buy brand new.....1) Saves me good 20-25% 2) Is in perfect condition because any defects Original buyer has already gotten it replaced.....

I bought a iPad 2 for someone last year brand new only 10days old it had Light leak on the bottom half along the home button and thats the only thing to date I have had to get replaced to due to screen being "Yellow" or "blueish" I find it if you buy things within the first 2 months u will most likely end up with something along those lines of issues......i read somewhere in the past it was due to the glue or something thats used to put the screen together.

SurferMan
Apr 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
I bought a iPad 2 for someone last year brand new only 10days old it had Light leak on the bottom half along the home button and thats the only thing to date I have had to get replaced to due to screen being "Yellow" or "blueish" I find it if you buy things within the first 2 months u will most likely end up with something along those lines of issues......i read somewhere in the past it was due to the glue or something thats used to put the screen together.Our 2nd 4S is just over 2 months old, and other's have complained on current ones, so it's def not just initial buyers having the issue. The 1st one we got about 2 months after launch too.

fertilized-egg
Apr 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
I think apple would worry about a large screen iPhone cutting into iPad sales.

No, the last thing Apple would worry about is iPhone cutting into iPad sales. They proved with different products such as various iPods, iPhones and MacBook Air that they are willing to cut into their own sales if they feel there's a good opportunity.

Here's a relevant Tim Cook quote from 2008 (http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/08/why-tim-cook/):

In 2008, Cook gave a memorable talk at the Goldman Sachs Technology Symposium, mostly about the iPhone. He was candid, funny and open-minded, calling unlocked iPhones “a good problem to have,” dropping hints that Apple was willing to drop its exclusive carrier relationship with AT&T and arguing that it didn’t matter if the then-new iPod Touch cannibalized iPhone sales: “I’d rather Apple cannibalize Apple than somebody else cannibalize Apple.” The next day, Apple’s stock shot up almost 5 percent.

saintforlife
Apr 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
Is is comparable to the iPhone 4 and 4S?

DanBurns91
Apr 27, 2012, 02:37 AM

Camera's are important to people, you asked for a comparison and i showed you, just because it doesnt apply to you doesnt mean its valid.
As far as flash goes, its android that decided to include it, why should comparison sites and videos have to disable it? iOS left it out for a reason, Google should have done the same if its causes issues.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2012, 06:06 AM
Is is comparable to the iPhone 4 and 4S?

For me no. At the end of the day my iPhone 4S generally has 30-40% battery left, and thats with lots of instagram, camera, music via bluetooth, twitter and Facebook usage throughout the day.

By contrast my One X has had to be supplementally charged during the day - otherwise it would be dead before bed time. Despite not being used as much as the 4S.

I have tried the factory restoring it and such, but has not made a big difference, and I'm not running animated wallpapers, third party launchers or a bunch of updating widgets in the background.

Gix1k
Apr 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
I held the T-Mobile version of this phone tonight. I was very impressed with the hardware. It's the thinnest smartphone I've ever seen. I'm really looking forward to playing around with one.

Ahhh, certainly not thinner than the piece of crap Razr.

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Battery life is rarely a big deal for me. My 4S can't make it through the day so I'm going to need to charge it anyway. If I'm forced to be near a charger anyway then battery life isn't a big deal.

I wonder how large the aftermarket batteries will be for the one x.

Sedrick
Apr 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
This obsession with thinness is why Android phones can't make it through the day on a single charge. Let the buggers get a little thicker if needed for a decent battery!

blairh
Apr 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
In a way the One X is close to what I envision as the perfect iPhone. I've said for a while that I'd love to see the iPhone rock a 4.5" retina display some day. The One X is essentially a 4.7" retina display. And because the device is so light with that curved backing, it's a pleasure to hold.

If battery life isn't an issue, then the only gripe I have is the amount of internal storage. Streaming music is taxing on your data plan and requires a wifi or cellular connection. Nothing beats having all your music stored on your smartphone.

If I go with the One X, I'll just load it with my absolute favorite albums and whatever I happen to be listening to at the moment (like new albums).

Wrathwitch
Apr 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
I hate htc...

Sedrick
Apr 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
I hate htc...
Well then, I guess we can all go home. Discussion is over!

El3ctronics
Apr 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
I pre-ordered the One X and excited to see how it compares to my iPhone 4S when I receive it.

blairh
Apr 27, 2012, 12:27 PM

Sedrick I highly recommend you try out the One X in your local AT&T store if you can. You and I have been wanting a larger screen on the iPhone and the One X is basically a 4.7" retina display. It's a serious thing of beauty. (Along with the rest of the phone.)

saintforlife
Apr 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Sedrick I highly recommend you try out the One X in your local AT&T store if you can. You and I have been wanting a larger screen on the iPhone and the One X is basically a 4.7" retina display. It's a serious thing of beauty. (Along with the rest of the phone.)

Is the HTC One X on display now at the AT&T stores to play with?

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 02:06 PM

Yep, that's all I needed to know. Guess I'll stick with apple

blairh
Apr 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
Is the HTC One X on display now at the AT&T stores to play with?

Call your local AT&T stores to see their status. I called two close to my house. One had it on the floor. The other said I could demo a unit they were shortly going to put on the floor. I went for the second option. The sales rep said he had had it for a week.

B777Forevar
Apr 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
I want the HTC one x. It looks amazing.

andyx3x
Apr 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
I just played around a little with the T-Mobile One S at Costco. I really like the phone. It's going to be awful hard to not buy one.

If I do get one, I suspect it will like 2010 when I fell for the Evo and switched to Sprint to get that phone. That was the first phone other than an iPhone that I owned since the first gen. After six months, I started getting iPhone envy and got the 4.

It's nice to switch up phones every now and then if you can. It makes you appreciate the iPhone even more.

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
I just played around a little with the T-Mobile One S at Costco. I really like the phone. It's going to be awful hard to not buy one.

I agree. The only thing keeping me from picking one up is the wondering of what Apple is bringing to the table in October.

andyx3x
Apr 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
I agree. The only thing keeping me from picking one up is the wondering of what Apple is bringing to the table in October.

The thing is that T-Mobile's ETF is only $200 I think. If you wanted to switch back to the iPhone in the fall you could easily recoup that and a maybe enough to buy an iPhone by selling the One S on Craigslist.

My goal if I buy one would be to keep it until at least October 2013 and look at the 5S or 6S.

BTW, you can buy the One S on Best Buy's website for $149. Great deal there. No mail in rebate crap.

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
The thing is that T-Mobile's ETF is only $200 I think. If you wanted to switch back to the iPhone in the fall you could easily recoup that and a maybe enough to buy an iPhone by selling the One S on Craigslist.

My goal if I buy one would be to keep it until at least October 2013 and look at the 5S or 6S.

BTW, you can buy the One S on Best Buy's website for $149. Great deal there. No mail in rebate crap.

Sadly TMO doesn't do it here in Ames. Reception is utterly terrible. While I could have the phone, the experience would be lacking, sadly.

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
As far as flash goes, its android that decided to include it, why should comparison sites and videos have to disable it? iOS left it out for a reason, Google should have done the same if its causes issues.

Maybe I don't remember properly, but I thought that one had to actually install flash on Android, at least in the way that Google releases it. I had an EVO (my only HTC device) last year and I could swear that I had to actually install flash; it wasn't there out of the box. Am I wrong?

andyx3x
Apr 27, 2012, 05:27 PM
Maybe I don't remember properly, but I thought that one had to actually install flash on Android, at least in the way that Google releases it. I had an EVO (my only HTC device) last year and I could swear that I had to actually install flash; it wasn't there out of the box. Am I wrong?

When I had the Evo in 2010, it was already on the phone.

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
When I had the Evo in 2010, it was already on the phone.

Wow, I guess I I stand corrected.

Vanilla Android come this way too?

blairh
Apr 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
The only thing keeping me from picking one up is the wondering of what Apple is bringing to the table in October.

It's definitely a concern for me too. If it weren't for the $250 early upgrade fee that AT&T charges, then I'd just get the One X and enjoy it until October and then see where things stand.

If the reviews for the AT&T edition state that battery life is solid, then I'm going to wait until WWDC is over (and see what iOS 6 has in store) and then make a choice to ditch the iPhone 4 for the One X or not.

By mid-June we will only be 3.5 months away most likely from the iPhone keynote. It's a touch decision for sure.

chrf097
Apr 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
The HTC One X/One S looks like a very nice phone.

Hopefully Verizon will get a better version than our upcoming Incredible 4G (which, while not as powerful as a One X or One S, still really good looking phone).

andyx3x
Apr 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
The only complaints I've seen about the One S is the pentile screen. I really liked what I saw today and it may not matter to most people. I may go take a second look just to be sure.

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
http://phandroid.com/2012/04/27/t-mobiles-htc-one-s-experiencing-poor-battery-performance-during-wifi-calling-patch-inbound/

An interesting article.

Sedrick
Apr 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
http://phandroid.com/2012/04/27/t-mobiles-htc-one-s-experiencing-poor-battery-performance-during-wifi-calling-patch-inbound/

An interesting article.
Battery life sucks, but oooooooo, look how thin the phone is! Can't have both, people.

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
Battery life sucks, but oooooooo, look how thin the phone is! Can't have both, people.

Ya I've always heard bad things about HTC battery life. Usually they have some pretty crazy extended batteries though.

blairh
Apr 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
There is a 42 page thread (currently) at XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1617009)about a screen flicker issue. I've also seen several YouTube videos regarding this problem.

Ugh. Another reason to hold off and give it a little time to play out.

Sedrick
Apr 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
Ya I've always heard bad things about HTC battery life. Usually they have some pretty crazy extended batteries though.

..when you can remove the battery..

FeaRThiS
Apr 28, 2012, 08:26 AM
Ive always liked htc phones and this 1 looks good to me might pick one up to have a play with.

dccorona
Apr 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
And I bet that they are just going to use that disappointing A5x chip for the new iphone

you're right. The numbers aren't as big as on other phones, so it's very disappointing.

*sigh* the A5x is going to perform at crazy levels on an iPhone. Its graphics chip may be the best one yet on a mobile device. The reason it didn't seem impressive on the new iPad is because it's driving 4x the pixels as the A5...on an iPhone, it will be driving the same (or maybe slightly more, if they move to a different screen size) number as the A5 does on the 4S, so the upgrade will be very noticeable

andy2141
Apr 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hi,

UK buyer of the One X here. In the UK its 32GB quad core. Think the US variant is different.

I currently have this and the 4S sat on the desk. The original plan was to sell the 4S and go with the One X. So far so good, I seem to have a decent handset with no defects (screen flicker etc).

Battery life for the first couple of days was not great, but that was probably down to me fiddling with it all the time with it being my new toy. Seems to be settling down now after a few days and charges. Still not sure I'd make I fully through the day without a bit of a top up though.

As nice as it is, I'm debating sticking with the 4S after all. I just have this feeling that I will be missing my iPhone after a few weeks without it.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

blairh
Apr 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hi,

UK buyer of the One X here. In the UK its 32GB quad core. Think the US variant is different.

I currently have this and the 4S sat on the desk. The original plan was to sell the 4S and go with the One X. So far so good, I seem to have a decent handset with no defects (screen flicker etc).

Battery life for the first couple of days was not great, but that was probably down to me fiddling with it all the time with it being my new toy. Seems to be settling down now after a few days and charges. Still not sure I'd make I fully through the day without a bit of a top up though.

As nice as it is, I'm debating sticking with the 4S after all. I just have this feeling that I will be missing my iPhone after a few weeks without it.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

The model we are getting in the States is dual core and 16 GB. (10 GB usable for media, 2 GB dedicated for apps.)

Surprisingly, the talk at XDA is that the LTE One X coming to North America actually has better battery life than the international edition. I'll be keeping a close eye on reviews to see if there is any truth to that. If the One X has solid battery life (and the screen flickering issue isn't prevalent) then I might take a chance on it. But not until after the WWDC keynote.

lordofthereef
Apr 28, 2012, 09:46 AM

That's... not really what the article was about, per se. Did you read it? (I am talking more than just the headline).

blairh
Apr 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Turns out not every AT&T has it on the floor. The store I went to two days ago let me use it (sales rep had one) but the second store that I just visited said they didn't have one (maybe they were lying) and that they would not put it on the floor until the official release date. (May 6th.) If I want to demo it again I'll just visit the first store, but it looks like every AT&T store will differ from their policy of allowing consumers to test out a phone before the release date.

Nikhil72
Apr 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
had one for about 2 weeks and ended up returning it and going back to my 4S. Didn't really have a reason for buying one but was mostly just tempted; never tried Android before. Overall, thought the software was interesting, but the iPhone is more straightforward (and i think of myself as a tech-savvy person) and i still feel like the iPhone apps are better designed aesthetically speaking. the battery life, though, was the big kicker. My iPhone 4S can get me from 6am to about 9pm before dying with heavy use (i.e. 7h of use, 90% of which is 3G data and the remainder a mix of texting, voice calls, and some music for my 30 minute commute). the One X was dead with this kind of usage by 3pm, which was astounding (but in hindsight, not unexpected given all that i'd heard about android battery life). hardware was nicely designed but i definitely would have missed the seamlessness of my iPhone after a month; it was already starting to happen after one week.

lordofthereef
Apr 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
had one for about 2 weeks and ended up returning it and going back to my 4S.

Did you import it or get the TMO version?

blairh
Apr 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Did you import it or get the TMO version?

TMO version? T-Mobile? Don't you mean AT&T?

----------

had one for about 2 weeks and ended up returning it and going back to my 4S. Didn't really have a reason for buying one but was mostly just tempted; never tried Android before. Overall, thought the software was interesting, but the iPhone is more straightforward (and i think of myself as a tech-savvy person) and i still feel like the iPhone apps are better designed aesthetically speaking. the battery life, though, was the big kicker. My iPhone 4S can get me from 6am to about 9pm before dying with heavy use (i.e. 7h of use, 90% of which is 3G data and the remainder a mix of texting, voice calls, and some music for my 30 minute commute). the One X was dead with this kind of usage by 3pm, which was astounding (but in hindsight, not unexpected given all that i'd heard about android battery life). hardware was nicely designed but i definitely would have missed the seamlessness of my iPhone after a month; it was already starting to happen after one week.

I have no idea if this is true, but the early reports from the XDA forum is that the North American One X (LTE edition) has better battery life compared to the international model. Waiting to read the official American reviews to see if there is any truth to this.

lordofthereef
Apr 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
TMO version? T-Mobile? Don't you mean AT&T?

I didn't think that AT&T version was out yet, and he mentioned he had one for two weeks, hence my confusion. :o

blairh
Apr 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
I didn't think that AT&T version was out yet, and he mentioned he had one for two weeks, hence my confusion. :o

No worries mate. TMO has the One S (http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-s/). My guess is that he/she had the international model. (Which does appear to have crap battery life.)

ChrisTX
Apr 28, 2012, 05:15 PM

Function over form IMO. Who cares how thin the phone is if it won't even hold a charge for an entire day. :cool:

Nikhil72
Apr 28, 2012, 06:19 PM

It was the international one.

I don't think I'm going to try the AT&T model. 32GB was already too limiting. 16GB is worse.

blairh
Apr 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
It was the international one.

I don't think I'm going to try the AT&T model. 32GB was already too limiting. 16GB is worse.

The lack of storage space certainly sucks but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. (Potentially) poor battery life is probably the only thing that would stop me from making the jump at this point.

saintforlife
Apr 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Is the expectation with the ATT model that the dual core processor is less of a battery hog than the quad core? But will the LTE radio not cancel it out?

blairh
Apr 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Is the expectation with the ATT model that the dual core processor is less of a battery hog than the quad core? But will the LTE radio not cancel it out?

"Still, HTC has said the 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 CPU and supporting chipset provide better battery life without sacrificing performance." - CNET.

Who knows if HTC is just BS'ing. There are people at XDA (I'm guessing AT&T employees with training devices) that claim that the Snapdragon processor actually provides superior battery life (even with LTE) compared to the Tegra 3. Who knows for sure. Confirmation will come once the embargo is lifted and we start getting official reviews sometime in the middle of next week.

farqueue
Apr 29, 2012, 04:56 AM
I'm currently holding on to my Iphone 4. Thinking of doing an upgrade, and currently leaning towards the HTC one x, and i'm pretty sold.

Convince me why I should go back to using an iphone 4s

Sedrick
Apr 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'm currently holding on to my Iphone 4. Thinking of doing an upgrade, and currently leaning towards the HTC one x, and i'm pretty sold.

Two reasons (and this is up to your preferences):
Battery life and storage space. Neither will be as good as the iPhone.

blairh
Apr 29, 2012, 10:17 AM

I can't really answer this properly unless I know what country you live in.

I'll just assume you live in the States for now. The reasons to stay with your 4S:

1. Battery life (most likely) will be superior on your 4S. You'll be able to all but confirm this once we get official reviews in the middle of next week. (When the AT&T One X embargo is lifted.)

2. Fragmentation is still a huge issue with Android. Yes you'll be running ICS when you get your One X but you'll be totally in the dark with respect to updates moving forward. There is a serious chance that you won't get Jelly Bean when it becomes available in the future or you'll have to wait a very long time. As long as your device is compatible, Apple does a great job of giving their customers the latest versions of iOS.

3. You might have buyer's remorse when the next iPhone hits the market. (Most likely this fall.) If you live in the States, and re-up your contract for the One X, then you'd have to pay an early upgrade fee (or break your One X contract and pay the ETF to move onto another carrier). A somewhat safer move is to wait until the WWDC keynote to see what iOS 6 will offer. Then it's just a matter of wondering what exactly the iPhone 2012 will entail with respect to hardware.

Those seem to be the main 3 reasons not to get the One X right now. I'm probably going to wait until after the WWDC keynote (and read all the LTE One X reviews).

* Forgot to mention the storage. LTE model only has 10 GB available for media. The apps are stored by default in the internal storage (2 GB).

TheBigKing
Apr 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
i sold my one x poor battery life and the camera it's no good as the 4s and sense really sucks i like more the galaxy nexus

Sedrick
Apr 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
i sold my one x poor battery life and the camera it's no good as the 4s and sense really sucks i like more the galaxy nexus
Please try for some punctuation.

chestvrg
Apr 29, 2012, 06:28 PM

which one x you had, the at&t LTE version or the GSM/HSPA+ unlocked version?

blairh
Apr 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
This (http://www.swedroid.com/htc-one-x-review/)is a review for the international model. It's the best review I've seen to date and worth your time even if you are interested in the LTE model.

TheBigKing
Apr 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
which one x you had, the at&t LTE version or the GSM/HSPA+ unlocked version?

unlocked one the 4 quad core

chestvrg
Apr 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
Thank you, I was reading the bad review about the screen flickering malfunction over at the xda site.

Lindenhurst
Apr 30, 2012, 10:28 AM

SO you bought it, and already sold it? WHy not return it?

MattMJB0188
Apr 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
Seems like quite a few of people are bashing this phone because of the battery and lack of SD card. I guarantee when the next iPhone hits and is LTE its battery life won't be much better, yet everyone will just accept it.

Yes, 16GB of internal storage is disappointing but those with large music libraries can use Google Play or your 25GB of DropBox included with the phone.

Its time to put the most disappointing phone of 2011 down for good. (Cough iPhone 4S)

Nikhil72
Apr 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Seems like quite a few of people are bashing this phone because of the battery and lack of SD card. I guarantee when the next iPhone hits and is LTE its battery life won't be much better, yet everyone will just accept it.

Yes, 16GB of internal storage is disappointing but those with large music libraries can use Google Play or your 25GB of DropBox included with the phone.

Its time to put the most disappointing phone of 2011 down for good. (Cough iPhone 4S)

And every time you want to access music, you have to engage the radio and kill the battery some more? What about those that ride the NYC subways (or any other underground trains) and don't get service? had i relied on streaming my music with Google music (which is less seamless than iTunes match because i'd have to upload a ton of music to begin with), my one x battery would have been dead by lunchtime if i started my day at 5-6am.

MattMJB0188
Apr 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
And every time you want to access music, you have to engage the radio and kill the battery some more? What about those that ride the NYC subways (or any other underground trains) and don't get service? had i relied on streaming my music with Google music (which is less seamless than iTunes match because i'd have to upload a ton of music to begin with), my one x battery would have been dead by lunchtime if i started my day at 5-6am.

Then maybe the One X isn't for you. Thankfully I live far, far away from NYC and have a perfect signal everywhere I go with AT&T.

TheBigKing
Apr 30, 2012, 12:35 PM
SO you bought it, and already sold it? WHy not return it?

because i buy on expansys usa and the ree stocking fee if i return it if 25% i sell it and get more money

blairh
Apr 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Then maybe the One X isn't for you. Thankfully I live far, far away from NYC and have a perfect signal everywhere I go with AT&T.

You hate NYC? Haha, what a shame. Also proclaiming the 4S a disappointment is silly. Yes I wanted a larger screen last fall but everything else was awesome.

Like others have implied, relying on streaming your music is a flawed point. Forces you to use 4G data in a non wi-fi area plus wi-fi and a cellular connection are not always available. (Subways, planes, spotty cell in trains, etc.)

Even with that established that is not a deal breaker for me. I can stream my entire collection via Google Music in strong wi-fi areas (like my house) plus I could get a 64 GB iTouch if I deem having my collection during long trips as absolutely necessary.

At this point the only way I'm not getting the One X is if reviews say the battery life of the LTE model is terrible. We shall know very soon.

DaveOP
Apr 30, 2012, 02:03 PM

I do as well, in Chicago where I'm in an LTE area, and used it with the Galaxy Note. I love Google music and all that stuff, but for the first time in 4 years I got the text from AT&T that 2 weeks into the month, I was 90% through my data plan. I love the idea of how it all works, but it will never be able to completely beat internal storage. I think 32GB is a sweet spot, and realistically for flagship devices, they could just do what Apple does and have tiers of the devices.

MattMJB0188
Apr 30, 2012, 02:12 PM
I do as well, in Chicago where I'm in an LTE area, and used it with the Galaxy Note. I love Google music and all that stuff, but for the first time in 4 years I got the text from AT&T that 2 weeks into the month, I was 90% through my data plan. I love the idea of how it all works, but it will never be able to completely beat internal storage. I think 32GB is a sweet spot, and realistically for flagship devices, they could just do what Apple does and have tiers of the devices.

I have AT&T unlimited and have 5GB since I have an LTE phone. Don't stream that much but I know I'll be good. But yea this can eventually be an issue for some people. If it, skip on the One X.

DaveOP
Apr 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
I have AT&T unlimited and have 5GB since I have an LTE phone. Don't stream that much but I know I'll be good. But yea this can eventually be an issue for some people. If it, skip on the One X.

That's excellent :) I'm glad it's working out for you. I wish I and 99% of people were in the same boat with grandfathered plans :\ With my iPhone, having so much more of my stuff locally really keeps the data usage low.

MattMJB0188
Apr 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
That's excellent :) I'm glad it's working out for you. I wish I and 99% of people were in the same boat with grandfathered plans :\ With my iPhone, having so much more of my stuff locally really keeps the data usage low.

Guess no one signed a cell phone contract in 2008 or 2009 when unlimited was all you can get? :confused:

omgitswes
Apr 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
I was so excited for this phone. It didn't come to VZW though, glad it didn't too because from what I've seen it's not the phone I'm lookign for.

I doubt we'll see any quad core phones state side this year. Even the S3 won't be quad core because of LTE.

lordofthereef
Apr 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
Guess no one signed a cell phone contract in 2008 or 2009 when unlimited was all you can get? :confused:

People did, but a lot of them stepped down to lower tier packages, swapped carriers, etc. I'd be interested to see the number of smartphone users on AT&T with an unlimited plan still. I have seen numbers thrown around in threads varying from 20% to 40% with no real data to back them up. I am not even sure if AT&T really makes this information very available.

blairh
Apr 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
The author in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMv_EwNncsw) says the LTE One X gets roughly 20% more battery life compared to the international model. He does not mention however if he used the LTE model in an LTE area.

entatlrg
May 1, 2012, 01:27 AM
New One X owners-

How's the dictation feature compared to Siri? That's one thing I use a lot on my iPhone as well as dictate on my iPad.

I am trying the new Nokia Lumia 900 right now and it's dictation feature is disappointing. For that and a few other reasons it's going back. So I thought I might try an android phone again for my second line. The One X seems the most interesting out there right now.

steve31
May 1, 2012, 02:05 AM
I have had the International one x for about three weeks now. I have no problem with the battery life. It's an awesome phone. The display is really unbelievable. Images look like they float on top of the glass. It's the best Android phone out right now! But I would still say the iPhone is the best smartphone out. I have always had both Android and IOS phones and bounce back and forth all the time. Right now the three I have are the iPhone 4s, HTC One X and the Galaxy Note. If I had to choose one it would be the iPhone because IOS is so good...but the One X is a very close second place. If you want the best Android phone out.....the the One X is it!! Just don't get rid of your iPhone! Best of both worlds!

blairh
May 1, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm following the XDA forums with respect to the One X. The Rogers and AT&T models seem to be suffering from very spotty wi-fi performance. I would hold off purchasing the AT&T model for a few weeks to see if this issue is addressed by HTC. (Potentially a software update.)

entatlrg
May 1, 2012, 10:12 AM
^ thanks for posting that, the Wi-Fi problem I hadn't heard of yet.

Weak Wi-Fi was one of the reasons I returned the Galaxy Nexus and another Samsung phone.

Hopefully HTC gets this fixed with an update soon.

mrbutters
May 1, 2012, 11:33 AM
I have had the International one x for about three weeks now. I have no problem with the battery life. It's an awesome phone. The display is really unbelievable. Images look like they float on top of the glass. It's the best Android phone out right now! But I would still say the iPhone is the best smartphone out. I have always had both Android and IOS phones and bounce back and forth all the time. Right now the three I have are the iPhone 4s, HTC One X and the Galaxy Note. If I had to choose one it would be the iPhone because IOS is so good...but the One X is a very close second place. If you want the best Android phone out.....the the One X is it!! Just don't get rid of your iPhone! Best of both worlds!

Just the simple fact the iPhone 4s doesn't run on LTE or even 4G pretty much means its not even close to the best phone out there. 3G speeds are a joke, sorry.

entatlrg
May 1, 2012, 12:24 PM
Just the simple fact the iPhone 4s doesn't run on LTE or even 4G pretty much means its not even close to the best phone out there. 3G speeds are a joke, sorry.

LTE isn't mainstream enough for your point to be valid.

At the huge expense of battery life it may not be worth bit for some people until battery tech catches up...