Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Why can't people make their own decisions these days? I mean I get asking the community for advice. But something like that is a personal decision if it bothers you.

It's better to do it now if anything as you don't have all your data on it and it's just a simple swap. However as long as you have apple care you can get it repaired at any point.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
i also got a nikon DSLR camera too for imovie projects at college

it also has a pixel problem, except its "stuck". (shines white).

take that back to?

guess i had bad luck today :(

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
If it's going to bother you, then yes. You're entitled to a near perfect product out of the box.
Actually you are not. If you read through the contract some pixel errors do not qualify as a flaw and thus you may not exchange it or even ask for repairs. It is only goodwill of the company if they exchange it anyway the contract does not entitle the buyer to a near perfect product, if one understands a flawless screen as near perfect.

With the 14 day return period you don't need a reason and thus you can just hand it back and take another.

I would exchange it unless it is not annoying.
Annoying equals: constantly lit subpixel especially green or blue, bad position
not so annoying: just a dead pixel or subpixel, at the very bottom or top of the screen.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Actually you are not. If you read through the contract some pixel errors do not qualify as a flaw and thus you may not exchange it or even ask for repairs. It is only goodwill of the company if they exchange it anyway the contract does not entitle the buyer to a near perfect product, if one understands a flawless screen as near perfect.

With the 14 day return period you don't need a reason and thus you can just hand it back and take another.

I would exchange it unless it is not annoying.
Annoying equals: constantly lit subpixel especially green or blue, bad position
not so annoying: just a dead pixel or subpixel, at the very bottom or top of the screen.

same goes for nikon d5100 DSLR? theres a stuck white pixel near the botton right corner too

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Just tell them. I had a dead pixel 6 months after I bought it and they changed the screen for me for free... if the store isn't far away - why not exchange?

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Why can't people make their own decisions these days? I mean I get asking the community for advice. But something like that is a personal decision if it bothers you.

It's better to do it now if anything as you don't have all your data on it and it's just a simple swap. However as long as you have apple care you can get it repaired at any point.

heck if i know. these posts crack me up though.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I once returned 3 monitors before I found a dead pixel-free one.

The answer is Yes.

Last edited:

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire
If it bothers you, return it, if not keep it.

This topic is so not thread worthy its just silly.

its YOUR iPad, not OURS. Do what you want with it.

Have a nice day. :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Officially, they don't even consider that to be outside the acceptable range. Chances are they would still exchange, especially if you're within the return policy, but it would be an exception, not the rule.

1 pixel out of over 1 million (at least) isn't bad, btw. If it was stuck (and thus always on and bright) or in a particularly bad spot, then it could be considered problematic, but if it was near the edge of the screen and dark, officially they won't even cover it under warranty.

jW

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Yes. If you keep silence, Apple never knows. If many customers have this issue and inform Apple, hopefully Apple would improve the QC.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yes. If you keep silence, Apple never knows. If many customers have this issue and inform Apple, hopefully Apple would improve the QC.

Ridiculous. Dead pixels are a normal part of the manufacturing process. Any display not meeting the standards is destroyed. At one point, though I'm not sure if it's true now or not, the displays that did not meet Apple's exceptionally stringent requirements were literally sold off to their competitors, making their displays the best in the business by default. Apple's quality control is not at fault for a single dead pixel in one screen, which may or may not have been there at the point of sale, much less at the final inspection. This is a normal situation, and one that is still relatively uncommon despite the chances of it happening being rather high. As I noted, there are over 1 million pixels in the lowest resolution Mac sold, and even the smallest screen they use (on the iPod nano) has 57,600 pixels. That means there's 57,600 chances of having a dead pixel on the iPod nano's screen. The fact that thousands are used every day without any is a remarkable fact simply from a statistical perspective.

jW

AppChat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Ridiculous. Dead pixels are a normal part of the manufacturing process. Any display not meeting the standards is destroyed. At one point, though I'm not sure if it's true now or not, the displays that did not meet Apple's exceptionally stringent requirements were literally sold off to their competitors, making their displays the best in the business by default. Apple's quality control is not at fault for a single dead pixel in one screen, which may or may not have been there at the point of sale, much less at the final inspection. This is a normal situation, and one that is still relatively uncommon despite the chances of it happening being rather high. As I noted, there are over 1 million pixels in the lowest resolution Mac sold, and even the smallest screen they use (on the iPod nano) has 57,600 pixels. That means there's 57,600 chances of having a dead pixel on the iPod nano's screen. The fact that thousands are used every day without any is a remarkable fact simply from a statistical perspective.

jW

well everything else works fine on both the computer and my nikon camera (which i got same day and also has one dead pixel LOL)

i guess im asking because im being anal about the exchanged one will have something worse issue

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
well everything else works fine on both the computer and my nikon camera (which i got same day and also has one dead pixel LOL)

i guess im asking because im being anal about the exchanged one will have something worse issue

This is a choice you have to make. I'm just pointing out that Apple isn't even required to exchange it for you (though they often will, in cases where the customer complains). There's always that risk.

jW

AppChat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
This is a choice you have to make. I'm just pointing out that Apple isn't even required to exchange it for you (though they often will, in cases where the customer complains). There's always that risk.

jW

same with the camera?

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
While not actually a big deal, knowing that it was there would drive bother the hell out of me.

Try and exchange it and don't think twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.