Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
The two iMac g4 which are in competition is the iMac g4 17 inch feb 2003 1.0 ghz and the sep 2003 1.25 ghz. There are very similar iMacs but there are a few differences such as the extra 250 mhz and the graphics card (nVidia GeForce 4 MX with 64MB and nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB) now the question will I really notice the difference in power with what this iMac can to do day e.g running 10.5, light web browsing, word processing, e-mail and maybe running some old games/photoshop?? I know that the 1.25 ghz has usb 2.0 which is of course helpful but for mainly transferring files of mb rather than gb then I'm not really too bothered in the time difference. Both machines are beautiful thats why I have been looking at them but the real question is will I notice the difference in performance. Also guys I just want to say that I have been reading this power pc area for a few months now and its real great to see how much activity there is on here. Thanks for reading :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 1.25Ghz one is faster. I've used both and always prefer the 1.25Ghz G4 iMac over the 1Ghz one. And I think the 1.25Ghz one's GPU supports Core Image, which make Leopard much smoother and quicker.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
That is a very interesting point (I'm going to read more into core image) and you are indeed correct the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra does support Core Image where as the GeForce 4 mx doesn't. As you say that will make things smoother many thanks for your reply :) I wonder if anyone else can think of anything else??

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
When all else fails go with the faster of the G4's!

I have had the pleasure of owning each of these beauties! All are correct that the 1.25 will serve you better. Core, is a bit of a hit and miss on most G4's.
Here with my G4 1.5 Alum PB, I have most all of the fluff turned off, as it speeds things up nicely and does not detract in anyway from the functionality of my powerbook.
On my 2011 mini? :D Well that is another story!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.