Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I live in constant fear of my battery.

My only other laptop I've owned had a very terrible battery that would last around 1h 30m on average and pretty much lost the ability to hold a charge after about a year and a half. It sucked.

When I bought my MacBook Pro I was finally excited to have a laptop with a real working battery.

Except I live in constant fear that my Pro's battery is going to crap out really soon. I've been monitoring my battery with Coconutbattery for a while, and I just checked it to see it looking like this:

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-07%20at%202.30.46%20PM.png

According to Coconutbattery, the computer age here is 20 weeks with only 79 charge cycles. Is it normal to already have such battery decay from 5770 to 5569? I know I'm being paranoid but I bought a laptop to be portable, so not having a functioning battery is crucial (god I hated that old laptop).

Please soothe my paranoia!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
According to Coconutbattery, the computer age here is 20 weeks with only 79 charge cycles. Is it normal to already have such battery decay from 5770 to 5569?
Your battery isn't "decaying". It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Hmm compared to my results, it looks decaying but not as bad.
Mine is 13 month old and still holds 100% capacity at 8450mAh.

If it really bothers you, take it to a Apple Store and see what they do.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I live in constant fear of my battery.

Please soothe my paranoia!

Go see a doctor.

Your battery is fine, if at some point in the future it fails, you can get a new one. So don't go crazy about it!

The more diagnosis tools (coconut battery, iststatpro, temperature monitor) are installed, the more concerned people become with their machines.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Your battery isn't "decaying". It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Go see a doctor.

Your battery is fine, if at some point in the future it fails, you can get a new one. So don't go crazy about it!

The more diagnosis tools (coconut battery, iststatpro, temperature monitor) are installed, the more concerned people become with their machines.

Thanks.

Also I don't need a doctor, I just come from an extremely poor quality computer (when compared to this one) and I wish to keep this one in top notch quality. It's the only monitor I have installed, I promise!

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks.

Also I don't need a doctor, I just come from an extremely poor quality computer (when compared to this one) and I wish to keep this one in top notch quality. It's the only monitor I have installed, I promise!

Then it'll take a bit of getting used to, but your new MBP is most likely unlike anything that you've ever used - in a good way :)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

I spent the first few weeks with my new machine optimizing battery life... then I stopped, and started using it the way I need it, not the way that would give me most battery life.

Apple gives some minimum performance specifications for it's batteries (check the FAQ for details). If your laptop drops below those specs (less than 80% health before 1000 cycles are reached), and you have warranty coverage, the will replace it.
If you're outside of warranty coverage and the battery goes bad, you can get it replaced with a new one for a fraction of the cost of a new MBP. There is nothing you can do to keep the battery in good shape. So it's best to stop worrying about it ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't want to start freaking out about temperatures or memory usage then though! :p
LOL! Then don't! :D Seriously, there's nothing worth freaking out about. Keep regular backups and just enjoy your Mac!

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
My advice is to uninstall the battery monitor programs and just use your computer. When you wear out the battery, some years from now, simply get a new one. It's not that expensive relative to the price of the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.