PDA

View Full Version : Universal Studios' Movies Now Available on iCloud

MacRumors
Apr 7, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/07/universal-studios-movies-now-available-on-icloud/)

Several readers have noticed that Universal Studios' movies are now available for re-download through Apple's iCloud service. In March (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/12/hbo-confirms-negotiations-to-allow-fox-and-universal-to-participate-in-icloud-for-movies/) we reported that both Fox and Universal were not yet participating in iCloud video streaming due to contractual obligations with HBO. HBO was reportedly working with both Fox and Universal to loosen these restrictions.HBO agreed to loosen its arrangement with Warner Bros., which is working with iCloud, and also is in talks with Universal and Fox to do the same, the spokesman added.When searching for movies in iTunes, Universal movies no longer contain a warning that the movies are not available through iCloud, while Fox's movies retain the warning:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/04/univ.jpg

Universal Studios (left) vs 20th Century Fox (right)
Another reader was able to confirm he was able to re-download 40 Year Old Virgin (http://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/the-40-year-old-virgin-unrated/id295263097). Previous movie purchases from Universal should now be available for redownload in your previous purchased menu on iTunes.

Fox is also said to be in negotiations with expectations that their movies would also become available through iCloud in the near future.

Article Link: Universal Studios' Movies Now Available on iCloud (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/07/universal-studios-movies-now-available-on-icloud/)

Robin4
Apr 7, 2012, 01:55 PM
Great! That HBO move has let the genie out of the box, I hope.

bdkennedy1
Apr 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
Forget it, no way. I won't buy any movie in iCloud. I buy the movie and 2 years from now when Apple and a movie studio start bickering, the studio pulls the movie from iCloud and I get screwed.

arn
Apr 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
Forget it, no way. I won't buy any movie in iCloud. I buy the movie and 2 years from now when Apple and a movie studio start bickering, the studio pulls the movie from iCloud and I get screwed.

not sure you understand how iCloud works.

You buy the movie, it gets downloaded to your device/machine.
If you later want to redownload it you can in iCloud (if available).

There is no "buying a movie in iCloud". There's "buying a movie" and it happens to be available later to redownload (or not).

arn

PDFierro
Apr 7, 2012, 02:07 PM
This is good, but I happened to notice that Fast Five has been completely removed from iTunes.

Maybe something temporary as it starts on HBO today?

arn
Apr 7, 2012, 02:08 PM
This is good, but I happened to notice that Fast Five has been completely removed from iTunes.

Maybe something temporary as it starts on HBO today?

I think it's no longer available for sale during HBO's window, but people who have purchased it before today on iTunes can redownload it from iCloud.

arn

thenaes
Apr 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
Maybe we'll eventually see all movies available for purchase in HD, not just SD as well.

PDFierro
Apr 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
I think it's no longer available for sale during HBO's window, but people who have purchased it before today on iTunes can redownload it from iCloud.

arn

And what window would that be? Once HBO gets the exclusive rights to air it? I guess that's part of the deal.

frunkis54
Apr 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yep just checked i now have Scorpion King 2 in my iTunes cloud :o

macmastersam
Apr 7, 2012, 02:16 PM

if you don't want to buy it on iCloud, then just sync your iDevice up to your computer the old fashioned way by using the usb cable, if you feel safer that way. nothing wrong with that.

arn
Apr 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
And what window would that be? Once HBO gets the exclusive rights to air it? I guess that's part of the deal.

ya, HBO pays for an exclusive window

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/12/hbo-confirms-negotiations-to-allow-fox-and-universal-to-participate-in-icloud-for-movies/

HBO isn't planning to give up its exclusive windows, for which it pays hundreds of millions of dollars a year, and which allow it to beam movies to its online service HBO Go as well as to its traditional TV channels. But HBO is relaxing terms to let users of iCloud and other services send movies they already own to other devices during those windows, an HBO spokesman said.

Moonjumper
Apr 7, 2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe we'll eventually see all movies available for purchase in HD, not just SD as well.

I would also like to be able to download the 1080p versions, not 720p.

frunkis54
Apr 7, 2012, 02:34 PM
I would also like to be able to download the 1080p versions, not 720p.

You can. go to itunes preferences and change it to 1080p and redownload.

Jamie0003
Apr 7, 2012, 02:41 PM

There is no "buying a movie in iCloud". There's "buying a movie" and it happens to be available later to redownload (or not).

arn

Or stream to an Apple TV, I hope you'll be able to stream to iOS devices too in the future.

wovel
Apr 7, 2012, 02:52 PM

arn
Not exactly...if I buy a movie from my Apple TV then it only exists in iCloud. Unless I go and download it on purpose, that is the only place it will exist.

Buying movies on the AppleTV2 (and up). Is what iCloud for movies is all about...

Jamie0003
Apr 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
Not exactly...if I buy a movie from my Apple TV then it only exists in iCloud. Unless I go and download it on purpose, that is the only place it will exist.

Buying movies on the AppleTV2 (and up). Is what iCloud for movies is all about...

When is Movies in the cloud coming to the UK? it's so disappointing we always seem to get stuff much later than everywhere else.

bedifferent
Apr 7, 2012, 02:59 PM
Now, how about iTunes Match for movies? It'd be nice to replace my ripped DVD movies with iTunes movies (depending on quality) as I could with my music. Was nice updating lower bitrate tracks to 256 with iTunes Match. :cool:

When is Movies in the cloud coming to the UK? it's so disappointing we always seem to get stuff much later than everywhere else.

Yeah, but you live in the UK. I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. :)

Oh, and Happy Easter everyone!

appleguy123
Apr 7, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hopefully this negotiation also brought us closer to HBOGO for Apple TV! It's the only thing stopping me from never having to use my cable's set top box!

Mak47
Apr 7, 2012, 03:12 PM

It would be really nice if movies/shows I buy on ATV would just automatically download to my computer. I thought that was supposed to happen, but it clearly hasn't. Especially with TV shows, it's much easier to just buy it in iTunes and watch it once it's downloaded.

maroontiger2k9
Apr 7, 2012, 03:16 PM

What i wish is if itunes could purge your existing movies and replace them with 1080p versions.. Or create a seperate m4v file that was 1080p so that we could have it in 720p, SD and 1080p

Man i really appreciate apple for the major and minor moves that they're making for iCloud... Its really becoming as BIG DEAL!!!

A move that id love for apple to make is to acquire a card company to beef up their CARDS app.. I love semding cards like that but the collection of cards is extremely limited

appsforkids
Apr 7, 2012, 03:18 PM

Awesome Thanks, I just found this the other night but missed the 1080p

Icaras
Apr 7, 2012, 03:19 PM
Woohoo! Thank you very much Universal and Apple! That's 17 new movies in my iCloud account. Time to update these to 1080p now. :D

Jurassic Park in 1080p! Loving it! :apple:

Edit: Wow, King Kong Extended Edition is 7.01 GB. :eek:

DisMyMac
Apr 7, 2012, 03:30 PM
Their top-billed mainstream junk is exactly why I don't want the service. Who the hell is that dumb?

frunkis54
Apr 7, 2012, 03:32 PM
What i wish is if itunes could purge your existing movies and replace them with 1080p versions.. Or create a seperate m4v file that was 1080p so that we could have it in 720p, SD and 1080p

Man i really appreciate apple for the major and minor moves that they're making for iCloud... Its really becoming as BIG DEAL!!!

A move that id love for apple to make is to acquire a card company to beef up their CARDS app.. I love semding cards like that but the collection of cards is extremely limited

Why would you need a a 720 version and a 1080 version? i still have the original ATV2 and downloaded the 1080 version and they play fine on it.

Moonjumper
Apr 7, 2012, 03:47 PM

Thank you very much. Now all I need is for the UK iTunes store to have 1080p films.

lordofthereef
Apr 7, 2012, 03:51 PM
The prices of these movies is preposterous, IMO. A lot of this stuff can be had for so much cheaper on bluray. I don't think I have paid more than an average of about $15 per film (Disney Films excluded). If this was more affordable and licensing wasn't as stupid as it is, I would certainly be more open to the idea of going all digital.

Apr 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
Edit: Wow, King Kong Extended Edition is 7.01 GB. :eek:

7 GB too many. :D

But on a serious note, I'm happy that things are moving in this direction. It hasn't been as quickly as I would have thought or liked... I've been writing about technological convergence and internet distribution for nearly twenty years. But we're right at the doorstep.

My only lament is that since commercial entities have all gone trying to figure out how to dominate the medium, and the blogosphere has become commoditized as well, the signal to noise ratio of this emerging medium is already terrible. There was so much potential for the internet to become the place where information is decentralized and readily available to the masses... unfortunately 99.9% of that information is of exceptionally poor quality.

But you can't put a gun to people's heads and make them prefer PBS programming over the Kardashians... So, it is what it is. At least it's here, available to those who want to use the resource.

dethmaShine
Apr 7, 2012, 04:17 PM
:(

Menneisyys2
Apr 7, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hope there will indeed be more flicks - for example, the Full HD version of Avatar, which was still inaccessible some days ago. (As is also explained in my current article Playing back high definition video from outside the iTunes store on (also) the new iPad (http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/playing-back-high-definition-video-outside-itunes-store-also-new-ipad)).

Dagless
Apr 7, 2012, 04:20 PM
There are some films I'd buy on iTunes (since they're expensive+rare on DVD now), but I'll wait until they're definitely available on iCloud.

Steam has spoilt me. Buy a game once; download it on any computer any number of times. Not sure why film studios are so strict and games+music aren't.

Menneisyys2
Apr 7, 2012, 04:21 PM
The prices of these movies is preposterous, IMO. A lot of this stuff can be had for so much cheaper on bluray. I don't think I have paid more than an average of about $15 per film (Disney Films excluded). If this was more affordable and licensing wasn't as stupid as it is, I would certainly be more open to the idea of going all digital.

Agreed. In addition, the quality of Apple's Full HD encoder isn't the best. I too prefer doing the ripping myself from my BD disks and, then, creating an iDevice-friendly H264/stereo version of the rip (see http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/playing-back-high-definition-video-outside-itunes-store-also-new-ipad for more info.)

thomas040
Apr 7, 2012, 04:23 PM
"rise of the planet of the apes" are still missing, but i guess that's a fox movie?does anyone know what the icloud terms really are? If a movie studio pulls out, years in the future, will we lose our ability to redownload, even though we paid for the movies?

maroontiger2k9
Apr 7, 2012, 04:24 PM
Why would you need a a 720 version and a 1080 version? i still have the original ATV2 and downloaded the 1080 version and they play fine on it.

Idk, everyone doesnt have the ATV3 or a 1080 tv.. I dont know what woukd happen if you tried to HOME SHARE stream a 1080p file to a 720p tv... Would the performance be streamless?

frunkis54
Apr 7, 2012, 04:44 PM
Idk, everyone doesnt have the ATV3 or a 1080 tv.. I dont know what woukd happen if you tried to HOME SHARE stream a 1080p file to a 720p tv... Would the performance be streamless?

I don't have the 3rd gen either but i did download updated 1080 copies and they play fine in 720 since thats all the 2gen does

rick98761
Apr 7, 2012, 04:46 PM
I really wish now that iCloud is so great for movies that the studios didn't switch from iTunes codes to ultra violet. I will not give up bluray quality because of my pretty nice projector setup, but it sure would be nice to still redeem codes in iTunes so I didn't have to rip copies of my blurays for streaming around the rest of the house.

Jamie0003
Apr 7, 2012, 04:48 PM
Now, how about iTunes Match for movies? It'd be nice to replace my ripped DVD movies with iTunes movies (depending on quality) as I could with my music. Was nice updating lower bitrate tracks to 256 with iTunes Match. :cool:

Yeah, but you live in the UK. I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. :)

Oh, and Happy Easter everyone!

What's good about living in the UK? Things are pretty crappy right now with no jobs etc.

MacintoshUser86
Apr 7, 2012, 05:05 PM
I hope Fox, Orion Pictures, TFI and Mirimax come soon, I want to get all my movies off my HDD to save space.

I love being able to steam them to my Apple TV from the cloud.

LaWally
Apr 7, 2012, 05:13 PM

Well, you could always save a copy of all purchased iTunes content locally. I'm sure you backup your critical data just in case "two years from now you might have a hard drive failure". I don't see any difference.

anonApple
Apr 7, 2012, 05:18 PM
Are there limits as to how many times you can redownload movies (and music)?

someone28624
Apr 7, 2012, 05:23 PM

You can choose to automatically download purchased items to your computer (or iPad or iPhone).

frunkis54
Apr 7, 2012, 05:37 PM
You can choose to automatically download purchased items to your computer (or iPad or iPhone).

Automatically its only music, book, apps. not tv shows or movies

SteveSwish
Apr 7, 2012, 05:39 PM
I expected to see my Back to the Future movies (via Digital Copy from Blu Ray Trilogy) to pop up in Purchased since theyre Universal, but Im still just seeing Star Trek...

Larsennet
Apr 7, 2012, 06:38 PM
I expected to see my Back to the Future movies (via Digital Copy from Blu Ray Trilogy) to pop up in Purchased since theyre Universal, but Im still just seeing Star Trek...

All Digital Copies are working for me. Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, etc.

Apparently, MGM is not included in this.

Omgitsdesmond
Apr 7, 2012, 06:45 PM

Some of us had this bug with regular digital copies when they first launched movies into iCloud. Try re-redeeming the digital copies, that worked for me when it first launched. I confess I don't have any universal movies, so it might not work with these yet.

budafied
Apr 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
I'm very pleased this is happening now. I lost all my digital copies late last summer when I formatted a drive thinking I had the digital copies on my macbook at the time. Now, when I go into purchases, I can redownload almost all of them!

I've sold blurays that I like but don't love because I knew I had the digital copy. Then I lost them. This solves the problem of having to worry about deleting my copies :).

A big thanks goes out to Apple and the production studios!

rick98761
Apr 7, 2012, 07:18 PM
Makes me wish I would have redeemed my digital copies.

the8thark
Apr 7, 2012, 07:21 PM

arn

He does have a very valid point Arn. But there's no worry of that. Simply because at the moment and for the foreseeable future Apple will be a profit goldmine. And no one would want to give up the profits associated with it. No one has on the music side yet. And the same will be for movies.

SteveSwish
Apr 7, 2012, 08:26 PM
Some of us had this bug with regular digital copies when they first launched movies into iCloud. Try re-redeeming the digital copies, that worked for me when it first launched. I confess I don't have any universal movies, so it might not work with these yet.

Youre right! Redownloading with the code did work! (even though the code has since expired) I hope they fix this bug though because that would stink for anyone who hasn't held onto their codes.

EDIT: For those who have lost their codes. This article could prove extremely resourceful to you!
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/10/lost-the-digital-copy-code-for-your-dvd-heres-where-to-look/
(http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/10/lost-the-digital-copy-code-for-your-dvd-heres-where-to-look/)
Makes me wish I would have redeemed my digital copies.

I KNOW RIGHT! I just stumbled across a few that I forgot to redeem a couple years back... :(

koobcamuk
Apr 7, 2012, 08:51 PM
I know this is somewhat subjective, but are any good movies actually available? :D

koobcamuk
Apr 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
Steam has spoilt me. Buy a game once; download it on any computer any number of times. Not sure why film studios are so strict and games+music aren't.

Perhaps they are even greedier?

charlituna
Apr 7, 2012, 10:13 PM

That's still wrong. These movies have nothing to do with iCloud. They are merely 'in the cloud'. You are redownloading them from iTunes same as the original purchase. You can have or not have iCloud and you still get this redownloading.

----------

arn

Correct. There will still be deals that will take shows out of being able to buy them for periods of time. But the redownloading is another issue.

----------

Legalities. Same reason why you get some shows on your iTunes store before we do. Same with some movies, books etc.

it sucks but the studios are still into this regional thing. I think they should go global. Folks that will watch something on their iPad etc are often not the same group that watch on TV. But many of them have no issue with doing torrents etc because the legal sources don't have it. So give them the legal way right away

----------

Hopefully this negotiation also brought us closer to HBOGO for Apple TV! It's the only thing stopping me from never having to use my cable's set top box!

Nope. That is whole different world and will likely never happen. Although it should. Same with Showtime etc.

if not that then they should stop with this waiting to put things on iTunes until a month after the next season starts crap at least. And drop the freaking prices. I'm sorry but just cause you are HBO doesn't mean your show is worth 3.99 and 4.99 an episode. 2.99 is a rip unless you can get the 1080p and even then that's pushing it.

arn
Apr 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
That's still wrong. These movies have nothing to do with iCloud. They are merely 'in the cloud'. You are redownloading them from iTunes same as the original purchase. You can have or not have iCloud and you still get this redownloading.

I think iCloud terminology is still correct. Apple uses it that way:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

With iCloud, the music you purchase in iTunes appears automatically on all your devices. You can also download your past iTunes purchases. Where you want, when you want.

JHankwitz
Apr 7, 2012, 11:08 PM
The prices of these movies is preposterous, IMO. A lot of this stuff can be had for so much cheaper on bluray.

Well, then by all means buy it on bluray! No one is forcing you to purchase your movies from Apple.

DiamondMac
Apr 7, 2012, 11:22 PM
So, tonight I wanted to buy 3 different movies and all of whom were from Fox or MGM or someone who had the "won't be downloaded onto iCloud"

Am I just to assume that when Apple reaches deals with the companies, they WILL automatically appear?

arn
Apr 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
So, tonight I wanted to buy 3 different movies and all of whom were from Fox or MGM or someone who had the "won't be downloaded onto iCloud"

Am I just to assume that when Apple reaches deals with the companies, they WILL automatically appear?

That's what happened with Universal's movies. They appeared retroactively.

arn

DiamondMac
Apr 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
That's what happened with Universal's movies. They appeared retroactively.

arnGot it. Thanks, arn. Keep up the good work.

tekno
Apr 8, 2012, 02:25 AM
Universal movies no longer have contain a warning

Another reader was able to confirm he was able to re-download 40 Year Old Virgin. Previous movie purchases from Universal should now be available for redownload in your previous purchased menu on iTunes.

Yet more excellent writing by MacRumors' second-rate 'journalists'.

Ellice
Apr 8, 2012, 02:49 AM

bushido
Apr 8, 2012, 03:23 AM
LOL 3,99 to rent a billion year old movie. This is why bluray wont go anywhere anytime soon. Crazy, id like to know what those studios are smoking and yet they wonder why people pirate

AndyMulhearn
Apr 8, 2012, 04:49 AM
What's good about living in the UK? Things are pretty crappy right now with no jobs etc.

Well the US seems to be much further along towards becoming a police state than we are and mention of an US "free at point of sale" NHS leaves you in danger of being branded a socialist but apart from that...

leroypants
Apr 8, 2012, 05:08 AM
I bought the Blu Ray version of Knocked Up for 7.99 last year...

tmofee
Apr 8, 2012, 07:36 AM
Titan AE??

I love that film (Did you know - Joss Whedon wrote a lot of that script), but damn, that's on netflix! ;)

Mr. Gates
Apr 8, 2012, 07:40 AM
If a movie is over 5 years old it should be .99

Flitzy
Apr 8, 2012, 07:42 AM

This would be true of any situation involving the cloud.

Which is why most people keep a backup of all their purchased content on one main computer and use iCloud for their other computers or mobile devices only.

Brocc
Apr 8, 2012, 08:43 AM
This would be true of any situation involving the cloud.

Which is why most people keep a backup of all their purchased content on one main computer and use iCloud for their other computers or mobile devices only.

Apple is trying to push an iCloud-based Mac-less Apple ecosystem through low/no local storage devices such as ATV and iPhone/iPad. For people to have the confidence to pay sky-high prices for media, re-download is a must-have not a nice-to-have feature.

someone28624
Apr 8, 2012, 09:09 AM
Automatically its only music, book, apps. not tv shows or movies

Ah, thanks, didn't realize that.

SteveLV702
Apr 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
woohoo went from only 40 of my 111 movies showing up to 110 of my 111 movies... So now only 1 isn't showing up :)

zorinlynx
Apr 8, 2012, 10:15 AM
I wish movies would catch up to music when it comes to Internet availability.

DRM-free. Redownloadable anytime you want. Period.

Also, no idiotic lack of availability. Right now the ONLY way to watch Game of Thrones legitimately is to have an expensive as hell cable subscription. You can't even pay HBO directly to download episodes. The only other option for people unable to pay $80 for cable TV they never watch is piracy.

Really?? Come on, movie/TV industry. Fix this crap. Most people don't pirate because they're jerks; they pirate because the industry makes it hard/inconvenient/impossible to watch what you want even if you're willing to pay for it.

SeattleMoose
Apr 8, 2012, 10:43 AM
Vinyl LPs/8Trk Cassette/2Trk Cassette/LaserDisc/CDs/DVDs.......R.I.P.

You can add in physical Books & Magazines.....

No more bulky heavy players and closets full of physical media/old books/etc.

During the phase out of all physical media the concept of "ownership" will still exist as people keep their media on their private drives in digital form. This will mostly be the older folks. The younger ones will consider not having physical media...the way it has "always been". They are already trained.

Eventually everything will exist only on "cloud" servers and when we "buy" media content, it just means you will be able to stream it to any device. Devices memories will be reduced to being able to hold a movie, a song, and a book (e.g. Apple TV). And that is all. External drives will phase out as the market shrinks driving prices up. In the end they will be too expensive for the masses.

So the bulk of all devices in the future will be just media "players" with very limited storage capabilities. Machines with more storage/power for creative music/video work will become more and more expensive as demand for these types of devices shrinks along with all associated peripherals.

The net result is that media companies will once again be "in control" of their content. This is the "end game" and it is the driving force behind the "cloud".

We will be completely dependent on the servers and delivery infrastructure to be having a "good day" if we want to listen to music, watch a movie, or read a book. God forbid the power ever goes out for humanity.:eek:

Bubba Satori
Apr 8, 2012, 11:19 AM

During the phase out of all physical media the concept of "ownership" will still exist as people keep their media on their private drives in digital form. This will mostly be the older folks. The younger ones will consider not having physical media...the way it has "always been". They are already trained.

Eventually everything will exist only on "cloud" servers and when we "buy" media content, it just means you will be able to stream it to any device. Devices memories will be reduced to being able to hold a movie, a song, and a book (e.g. Apple TV). And that is all. External drives will phase out as the market shrinks driving prices up. In the end they will be too expensive for the masses.

So the bulk of all devices in the future will be just media "players" with very limited storage capabilities. Machines with more storage/power for creative music/video work will become more and more expensive as demand for these types of devices shrinks along with all associated peripherals.

The net result is that media companies will once again be "in control" of their content. This is the "end game" and it is the driving force behind the "cloud".

We will be completely dependent on the servers and delivery infrastructure to be having a "good day" if we want to listen to music, watch a movie, or read a book. God forbid the power ever goes out for humanity.:eek:

Bingo.

You've lost all control of your media, have to deal with substandard quality,
absurdly expensive contracts to access it and data caps that restrict how much you can use.

Magic. :apple:

justperry
Apr 8, 2012, 11:44 AM

Sheep don't understand:eek:

Or :

http://www.abbyshot.com/newsletters/photos/3-monkeys.jpg

Burro99
Apr 8, 2012, 11:53 AM
Bingo.

You've lost all control of your media, have to deal with substandard quality,
absurdly expensive contracts to access it and data caps that restrict how much you can use.

Magic. :apple:
If you don't know how to control your media it should cost you extra. There has always been a tax on being lazy and stupid. Perhaps you think it suddenly shouldn't apply here.

Moonjumper
Apr 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
If a movie is over 5 years old it should be .99

I'm probably like a lot of people. There are a small number of series I am willing to buy when they come out. Many others I will wait until they are on sale, or just gone down in price as they are older titles.

This doesn't happen on download. And because I am unlikely to end up with a library of titles, I use a format where I will. That is currently Blu-Ray, and I still have quite a few DVDs, which was my library of choice before that.

lordofthereef
Apr 8, 2012, 12:53 PM
Well, then by all means buy it on bluray! No one is forcing you to purchase your movies from Apple.

Which is what I do... obviously. I never insinuated that anyone was being forced. I was merely pronouncing my discontent with how stupid licensing is in this day and age. This is a forum. I am allowed to do that. Thanks.

bushido
Apr 8, 2012, 01:19 PM

the reason i buy movies and the tv shows in the first place is that i have those "bulky" cases and limited editions that i can place in my shelves, the same accounts for books. if i want a stupid overpaid drm protected file in low quality on a harddrive somewhere, i WOULD (not that i actually do) just pirate ...

physical media isnt going anywhere anytime soon unless those studios learn which they dont. dont get me started on this new "amazing" Ultraviolet BS. and no i'm not a old guy stuck in the past, i'm only 23.

ironically i dont know a single young person who even once used iTunes to buy a movie unless it came free as a digital copy (thats just my own experience of course)

Mr. Gates
Apr 8, 2012, 02:47 PM
But who in their right mind would pay $10.00 for a file ?

Titan A.D. ????

It bombed in the Box Office

Saw it in the 3.99 bin at the Grocery store. Even then it's a hard sell.

Greed, Greed and more Greed

For less than $10.00 you can get Netflix for a month :/

Bheleu
Apr 8, 2012, 03:01 PM
Would love to see something similar to AppShopper that keeps track of prices if they do.

rosser1982
Apr 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
The real question here is "Why would anyone want to download 40 yr old virgin once?" Let alone twice....

MacFan23
Apr 8, 2012, 06:18 PM
the reason i buy movies and the tv shows in the first place is that i have those "bulky" cases and limited editions that i can place in my shelves, the same accounts for books. if i want a stupid overpaid drm protected file in low quality on a harddrive somewhere, i WOULD (not that i actually do) just pirate ...

physical media isnt going anywhere anytime soon unless those studios learn which they dont. dont get me started on this new "amazing" Ultraviolet BS. and no i'm not a old guy stuck in the past, i'm only 23.

ironically i dont know a single young person who even once used iTunes to buy a movie unless it came free as a digital copy (thats just my own experience of course)

23 is old! You grew up in an era before iTunes

The real question here is "Why would anyone want to download 40 yr old virgin once?" Let alone twice....

Because it's a good film?

rick98761
Apr 8, 2012, 07:23 PM
Are all digital copies always sd? I found one movie without an expired code and it was SD. If they are always SD that makes me feel better about missing out.

Xenomorph
Apr 8, 2012, 07:45 PM
None of my Universal movies have shown up.

Scott Pilgrim, Back to the Future series, etc. None of them are there.

Shkalix
Apr 8, 2012, 08:14 PM

Because it looks better in 1080p.

bedifferent
Apr 8, 2012, 08:15 PM

I grew up in London, miss it. Guess the economy is as rough there as it is here :( Hope things improve, for everyone's sake, very soon.

mbh
Apr 8, 2012, 08:38 PM
None of my Universal movies have shown up.

Scott Pilgrim, Back to the Future series, etc. None of them are there.

Try entering the codes again. My BTTF showed up on its own, but during the first round I had to enter the codes again for several movies. Problem solved.

Burro99
Apr 8, 2012, 08:54 PM
23 is old! You grew up in an era before iTunes
Pathetic.

jonnysods
Apr 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
Great news!

I am loving icloud

AppleHater
Apr 8, 2012, 10:42 PM

I totally agree. I wastes my hare of money 'collecting' DVDs, and I feel like a moron doing it. In that sense, Netflix type of service is perfect for me, although their stream selection lacks. I don't really care if I own a movie or not as long as I can watch it whenever I want.

lender200
Apr 8, 2012, 10:45 PM
Maybe we'll eventually see all movies available for purchase in HD, not just SD as wel

bommai
Apr 8, 2012, 11:24 PM
I still can't believe the prices. I can get Bluray versions of several of these movies for $10 or less and I can rent them as part of Blockbuster or Netflix. Why are they so expensive? I have never bought or rented from iTunes store for that reason. Plus I am spoiled by the lossless audio on the Bluray movies.

Designx
Apr 9, 2012, 12:06 AM
I can tell you one thing -- you'll be buying these crappy movies again when they conceive of some must have ultra HD format that is incompatible with the older gen hardware.
I don't see a bright future in a world where we relabel art as "content" and then disburse it into many compromised digital formats that are designed to be force fed through internet feeds in a way that prevents anyone to actually "own" them.

JHankwitz
Apr 9, 2012, 09:48 AM
Apple is trying to push an iCloud-based Mac-less Apple ecosystem through low/no local storage devices such as ATV and iPhone/iPad. For people to have the confidence to pay sky-high prices for media, re-download is a must-have not a nice-to-have feature.

I don't see Apple pushing a Mac-less or PC-less ecosystem at all. They're simply making it possible for those who don't want to purchase Macs or PCs to use an iDevice. Big difference between "push" and "enable".

fruitycups
Apr 9, 2012, 10:13 AM
I guess... HBO is knocked up.

Yahhhaa

Boisv
Apr 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
Unless I go and download it on purpose.

Well yeah, go download it. iCloud is a way to back up your purchases and access them from multiple devices at any time. You should still always keep copies of all music, tv shows, and movies on a hard drive. Back up your purchases. If Apple decides to nuke iCloud at some point, then you still have it on a hard drive. On the other hand, if your house burns down, you'll have it backed up in the cloud.

But you shouldn't buy media and just keep it in the cloud. I wouldn't recommend it.

----------

I still can't believe the prices. I can get Bluray versions of several of these movies for $10 or less and I can rent them as part of Blockbuster or Netflix. Why are they so expensive? I have never bought or rented from iTunes store for that reason. Plus I am spoiled by the lossless audio on the Bluray movies.

I have to agree. If I'm buying a digital copy, with no case, no hard media, no artwork, no special features, no digital lossless audio, and no extra shipping and stocking cost, then I expect to pay LESS than I would for a blu-ray. $19.99 for just a hi-def download? Please. For that I can usually go to Target and get a DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Download combo pack. I've only ever purchased a handful of movies, I'd say less than 5, and it was because they were on sale. I bought [REC] for $5. That was a deal.

DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Download combo packs FTW.

----------

I can tell you one thing -- you'll be buying these crappy movies again when they conceive of some must have ultra HD format that is incompatible with the older gen hardware.
I don't see a bright future in a world where we relabel art as "content" and then disburse it into many compromised digital formats that are designed to be force fed through internet feeds in a way that prevents anyone to actually "own" them.

Such is the way of the world. Just like when CDs came out and people repurchased all of their LPs. Or when DVD came out and people repurchased what they already owned on VHS (or perhaps LaserDisc). It's unavoidable as technology keeps evolving.

"I guess I'll have to buy the White Album again."
-Father Dyer
The Exorcist III

BC2009
Apr 9, 2012, 11:20 AM
sweet -- been waiting for this.

SBlue1
Apr 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
Great!

class77
Apr 9, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hopefully this negotiation also brought us closer to HBOGO for Apple TV! It's the only thing stopping me from never having to use my cable's set top box!You still have to subscribe to HBO to get HBO Go, so you can't get rid of your set top box

appleguy123
Apr 9, 2012, 01:41 PM
You still have to subscribe to HBO to get HBO Go, so you can't get rid of your set top box

I know, I just domt like using it. :cool:

AndyAtTheCroft
Apr 9, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'm with a lot of folk here. I won't be buying a movie on iTunes - iCloud or otherwise - while the prices remain this high. I was in my local Tesco this morning looking at the DVDs and still had a few prices in my head. Every one of them was at least as expensive on iTunes. Thor, for example. 9.99 both on iTunes and in Tesco.

If you have a physical DVD, unless you do it some physical damage, then it as least as secure a purchase as one in the iCloud and there's much less faff involved bit buying it and playing it. And I really can't work out why a physical object containing the data required to play a movie, contained in a box, should be cheaper than the data on its own.

Renzatic
Apr 9, 2012, 09:54 PM
You still have to subscribe to HBO to get HBO Go, so you can't get rid of your set top box

Still? HBO Go is about the only reason why I haven't gone ahead and cut the cord. I was hoping that this potential deal was a first step for them towards detethering themselves from subscription cable, and offering the service up themselves.

Well hell.

donrsd
Jun 18, 2012, 12:11 PM

sorry for the late quote. stumbled onto this quote from a google search.
fantastic post!!!

lossless audio is the only reason i have 150+ blurays.
i do like itunes, well i do like itunes for my apple tv icloud.
for all the disney blurays i have, i never use them. the kids just stream a digital copy from icloud thru my apple tv.

would i ever buy a movie on itunes, NO WAY.
every digital copy i have it from blurays ive bought or i pay $2 for a digital copy i want from someone who bought the bluray and doesnt want the itunes digital copy.

ixodes
Jun 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
But who in their right mind would pay $10.00 for a file ?

Titan A.D. ????

It bombed in the Box Office

Saw it in the 3.99 bin at the Grocery store. Even then it's a hard sell.

Greed, Greed and more Greed

I agree with your points.

iCloud is a system designed to cash in on the "Cloud Computing" craze, and another very robust income stream for Apple. Sold to us using typical warm and fuzzy terms, hyped as only Apple can do, it does serve it's purpose. Free? yes for a somewhat limited, Apple controlled experience. The pay version is the gateway to all things Apple in their proprietary iCloud.

While it has it's pros and cons like anything else, only time will tell if Apple "Get's It" this time, and does a better job than what Jobs labeled as a failure: MobileMe.

I do hope Apple succeeds, since they have a lot riding on this, and they have already backed themselves into a corner (so to speak) by all the boasting Apple has done about it's features. Only time will tell.