Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
I've come across a bit of a peculiar situation. For about a year I've had a Bootcamp partition installed side by side with Mac OS on an early 2011 MBP, and I've always felt that the Mac OS side was just not as 'snappy' as I would expect for the power of the computer; small things like frequent beachballs, slow to load applications, hang ups in Safari (although Safari recently is just a bit slow regardless). But I never imagined that a separate Windows 7 partition could cause the Mac to be slow.

Then last week I realised I didn't need the Windows side anymore and decided to repartition the drive via Bootcamp back to Mac only. Literally, as soon as it was done, a noticeable difference in speed with opening things such as large Word documents etc was felt for the first time since I got this MBP. Bear in mind I had no expectations that deleting the Windows partition would change anything, so its a genuine discovery that the Mac sped up.

I then decided to test this by installing Windows 7 via Vmware fusion, and even after exiting the application fully and restarting the computer, it was still laggy with similar behaviour as before.

Finally it seems that I've discovered that at least for my Mac in particular, having any form of Windows installed seems to cause a general slow down in speed. (I still have >100gb of disk space remaining, so its not a memory issue like some people have) Removing Windows seems to speed up my Mac and since I don't need it at the moment, I think I'll stick to my new-found 'snappiness'. :)

Has anyone had anything similar and are there any fixes in case I do need Windows again in future? Thanks

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
Odd. I would keep an eye on the health of my disk. If the problems resurface as your disk fills up there might be a problem with the drive.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I have noticed that installing Windows on a separate partition causes OS X to boot a tad slower. However, I haven't had any problem with OS X being laggy.

Though one suggestion I would give, if you intend to install Windows on a separate partition again, is to tell Spotlight not to index the Windows partition. I've always found doing Spotlight searches slower if it's index Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.