Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
What is the best app for using iPad as a document scanner I.e. using camera to photo documents straight into PDF files?

Found a review recommending Scanner pro but review is 2 years old wondering what's the current champion

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm wondering the same.

From my research, DocScan, Scanner Pro and TurboScan seems to be the best.

But there's no obvious winner. Maybe someone can help here.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I have Scanner Pro. I haven't used any others so I can't really compare. However, I've used Scanner Pro both on my iPod Touch and on my new iPad. I do a lot of genealogy research and scan old documents, handwritten ones as well as typed documents and photos, both B&W and color. I've even used it to scan images on microfilm readers.

It does everything I need it to do. The color photo scans aren't perfect, but I have been able to make acceptable prints from the scans. With the iPod Touch, it's much easier to hold it steady while taking a photo. The heavier iPad is not so easy to keep steady but the image stabilization seems to do a good job.

The higher quality camera in the new iPad makes for much better quality scans, so I'll finally be able to get rid of my CanoScan scanner and the 7 year old PowerBook G4. I've kept both until now because Canon didn't offer drivers for Intel Macs.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
The HP printers that work with the iOS software also drive the scanners in the All-In-One printers from HP. No worry about holding the camera steady or keeping it in focus or having the right amount of light. I purchased mine for $69.

arklissa27

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Hi everyone I am Lissa Ark......I am also use this apps.… a new portable scanner that docks with your iPad and scans or documents up to letter size @ 300 dpi right on to the iPad with their free app… it will give us a really elegant way to scan on the go. FWIW I take my iPhone to archives and photograph documents. The archivists don't mind as there is no flash. Now I have my iPad I'll probably use it. No extra expense required. I have a nifty little app, image to text, that turns my photographed info into text which makes for easy transferral to Reunion. If u want to know about i pad Family Tree ,Family History ,Surname Origins ,Family Crest...than click.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.