Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
It seems more and more sites that I browse to these days redirect me to an "install our app!" ad. Umm no thanks for the 9th time. Can these be blocked entirely without losing fuctionality such as turning off java? I am hoping for a way to block the iOS signature all together so it looks like a desktop hitting it. Would be helpful in bypassing those "mobile" sites that are lame and cause an extra click and reload to get to the normal site.

Thanks

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Agreed. I want the full site every time. Mobile sites were even a pain five years ago with HTC 8500's and choosing menus with numbers. I assume sites want you to install their apps for the ads.

I assume you can change your headers with a JB.

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
I have to use Atomic browser, which allows me to adjust a setting that makes me look like I'm using a desktop browser. I would think that iCab browser has this setting too.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I pay my ISP every month so I have the right to block ads on websites.

As for the browsers I find that the 3rd party browsers really don't do a good job at blocking anything. Mercury for example will block the ad but I still have to press the x to get to the page.

I tend to avoid sites that do this anyway.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I pay my ISP every month so I have the right to block ads on websites.

Paying your ISP has nothing to do with it. You pay for the connectivity between you and the website. Said website doesn't see a dime of the money you pay your ISP... EVER. The website is either run at a loss (consider the entire website an advertisement) or it is funded by the very ads people want to block.

Whether you have the right to block ads is up for debate (I have heard compelling debates either way), but the fact that you pay your ISP monthly doesn't give you the moral high ground.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
When visiting websites look for the link that allows you to view the regular web site not the mobile version. It's usally locaded on the bottom of the first page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.