Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ionicoverdose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
I need help finding the best dvd/audio converter for movies and shows, so i can put them on my ipad and store them on itunes.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I need help finding the best dvd/audio converter for movies and shows, so i can put them on my ipad and store them on itunes.

I use handbrake for DVDs. For other types of videos and audio I use MPEGstreamclip. Both are free.

ewo1992

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Southern, CA
I use handbrake for DVDs. For other types of videos and audio I use MPEGstreamclip. Both are free.

Thanks I'll give it a try, any special settings I need to know about? Also how is the video quality being on the reta screen?

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Thanks I'll give it a try, any special settings I need to know about? Also how is the video quality being on the reta screen?

Handbrake has built in settings, although I haven't seen if they have updated the presets for the fact that the ipad supports 1080. If not, you would have to manually enter them. Same goes for MPEG Streamclip, although it is HIGHLY flexible, with that flexibility comes many options and the need for the user to know a little bit about what they want and what the source is.

ewo1992

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Southern, CA
Handbrake has built in settings, although I haven't seen if they have updated the presets for the fact that the ipad supports 1080. If not, you would have to manually enter them. Same goes for MPEG Streamclip, although it is HIGHLY flexible, with that flexibility comes many options and the need for the user to know a little bit about what they want and what the source is.

Handbrake is very easy to use and best of all is free.

I put in a DVD and here were so many titles that I wasn't sure what one to convert.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Um well there were a whole bunch at the same time with just a few min or sec apart like two hours and 10 min 2 hours 11 min 2 hours 9 min

You can preview the titles to see which one you want. If it was a DVD movie the longest one is the one you want most of the time. Sounds like you want to convert something else

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I've tried many different DVDs with handbrake and all I get is the error message saying my source may be copy protected

It's probably copy protected? Use mactheripper to rip copy protected DVDs to a hard drive then handbrake the rippped files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.