Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
NY
I'm thinking of trying out the French ones, I dunno if the price is justified for 300 dollars, but all the reviews say that its good for learning languages. Has anyone tried it, it is a hoax?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Dude- it's the core of Apple's transition from the PowerPC to Intel. ;)

Every time I get on the plane and read the SkyMall or what ever catalog the airlines provide I see their software and wonder the same thing.

My guess is that it isn't bad, but not as good as finding somebody that is willing to tutor you personaly as you use a textbook and less expensive software.

If it worked as well as it says it does, there must be schools that have adopted it.

I have wonderd the same and I would like to see if somebody posts about it.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I used a different set of language software to brush up on French and Italian before going to Europe: Transparent Language's French Now! and Italian Now!

Much cheaper, and worked great-- I was just brushing up, though. I don't know how it would be for a beginner. It was recommended to me by the chair of the French Department at Davidson College, so there is some academic approval of this (though he'd also say the best way to learn is to go to France for a year!).

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I acquired the French Rosetta Stone software and it isn't as good as other language tools. Obviously living in France is the best (but that'll cost more than $300). But I think audio, DVD and software is the best because pronunciation is a huge part.

The Rosetta Stone starts off well with basic "man, woman, boy, girl" but within 5 screens you're on "The woman is riding on the horse". And that's a little bit of a big jump. Remember that each screen has 4 words / phrases! And it doesn't come with translations. It's purely pictures and the French words. So working out sentence structure is a little tricky.

I think there's a Rosetta Stone demo you can download. Maybe give that a go first. For $300 I wouldn't recommend it.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
Latin

I used the Latin Demo a while back; it really helps with basic vocabulary.
I might buy the Italian in the future.
GK

freeorangeshoes

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
the stuff is amazing. you learn the language just like a native speaker does...there is no english in any of the lessons. this results in you being able to speak the language intuitively...you arent trying to translate on the fly. its the most expensive for a reason. used by countless universities and government agencies...it really does work. good stuff. however, if youre just interested in learning a few words or specific phrases as opposed to the whole language...youd be better off with something else.

Mood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
NY
that's sweet, how strong in french are we speaking. can you strike a conversation with people, talk in sexy french, etc?

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
I have the Rosetta German on my PC. Instead of teaching you one word at a time, it shows you a picture of something and then a complete sentence to describe it. Then it changes maybe one thing in the picture and makes the corresponding change in the sentence. If you think you could learn that way then go for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.