PDA

View Full Version : Homesharing, suddenly disconnects all the time

iphone1105
Apr 9, 2012, 01:22 PM
The latest iTunes update has completely wrecked homesharing for me with Apple TV 2 and iTunes. It disconnects every 5 minutes into a movie. Is this happening to anyone else? Is there some troubleshooting anyone can point me too? Besides a reboot...thanks!

Darien Red Sox
Apr 9, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have had this issue two a few times, hopefully Apple will fix it soon.

RealEvil
Apr 10, 2012, 05:13 AM
Mine does not disconnect all the time but with a AppleTV3 and a latest iTunes I now have to restart iTunes before using the AppleTV as the Home Sharing disconnects after a period of inactivity. During a movie it is OK.

BriSpe
Apr 10, 2012, 05:45 AM
I have the same problem with the new Apple TV.
It happens irregularly. Sometimes I can watch a TV Show without interruption and sometimes I have to restart iTunes 2 - 3 times during a TV Show.
It's so annoying to have to go to the mac in the other room just to restart iTunes.

nOw2
Apr 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Sorry, I can't help but I can back you up. Mine also drops off Home Sharing occasionally - intermittently and rarely but since applying the update to an Apple TV 2 I've have several TV episodes interrupted by losing connection to iTunes.

As above, the solution being to restart iTunes and resume watching where I left off.

GarrettL1979
Apr 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
Same problem for me

LaunchpadBS
Apr 10, 2012, 06:46 AM
Same thing, have to restart the router every time.
Going to downgrade to iOS 4.4.4 tonight to see if it fixes it.

iphone1105
Apr 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Glad to see this new update has wrecked it for some. Up until the new updates everything was great. The lady and I were trying to watch "The Ides of March" and for the first 45min of the movie, homesharing disconnected 4 times, i wanted to throw the ATV out of the window!:p

xpower180
Apr 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Same problem for me

...and here! Drops out every 10mins or so.

LevMac
Apr 11, 2012, 04:51 AM
Same problem here!!

Heaps of threads about this problem with plenty of people experiencing this issue :(

AppleWarMachine
Apr 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
Same for me too, I have the ATV3 and each time I go to use it it says please turn on home sharing in iTunes, but it is already turned on. So I have to click "turn off" and then click "turn on" again, then it works fine. I have not had any issues with it dropping connection during a movie though. Hurry up with an update Apple. Thanks.

ladymacintosh
Apr 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Me too! This is so annoying! I have all but abandoned my ATV2 in favor of watching Netflix on Roku2 because of this issue. I hope they fix it soon.

TahoeBlue
Apr 11, 2012, 11:11 AM
Uninstall and reinstall iTunes. If you have Win7, make sure to completely uninstall Bonjour, and confirm you are installing the correct version of iTunes (32 or 64 bit).

Apple really needs to wipe the previous install instead of merely patching the code, because this Homesharing issue crops up every time they issue an "update."

Let me know if this fixed it for you. If not, it is probably time to upgrade your router or check the port settings.

sers
Apr 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
I'm also experiencing the same issue. I've tried absolutely everything to fix this, but the problem keeps reappearing. The Apple support forums are full of people complaining about this. I hope Apple fixes this soon with an update because I really miss this feature.

Penquin79
Apr 12, 2012, 06:44 AM
Here is what should be your simple fix, especially if when you reboot the router it works again.

Either in your router settings assign the apple TV's a fixed ip address. If you are not familiar with that process then another fix is in the apple TV settings. In the net work settings, select manual set up. Change the digits after the last . in the ip address to a higher number. For example instead of .3 make it .35.

What is happening is this, as other mobil devises are connecting to your wifi as they enter your range the router assigns them an ip address automatically. Normally it uses the lowest available number. If the ATV is asleep the number it last used is available and can get assigned to your iPad or what ever. When you wake the ATV it either can't connect or connects for a short time as the router tries to fix the conflict.

I run two ATV's plus iPad,iPhone iTouch and none ever drop the connection once I assigned them the ip addresses. Noticed the problem when the two kids would come over and connect to our WiFi, that is when the home sharing would drop. Their mobils were grabbing the sleeping ATV ip's. Once assigned to the devise by the router it holds them for their devises for about 24 hours. That is why it seems so intermittent and is making you crazy!!

ljonesj
Apr 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
odd mine has been fine since the 10.6.1 update from dropping home sharing i had itunes just close itself and not give and error for it closing like a crash report and when it would crash it would reset the counter on my shows if i watched 5 shows and then it would crash either all five would show up watched or only 1 u did not know i once had a whole series reset when that happened that was all on the 10.6 update

iphone1105
Apr 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Here is what should be your simple fix, especially if when you reboot the router it works again.

Either in your router settings assign the apple TV's a fixed ip address. If you are not familiar with that process then another fix is in the apple TV settings. In the net work settings, select manual set up. Change the digits after the last . in the ip address to a higher number. For example instead of .3 make it .35.

What is happening is this, as other mobil devises are connecting to your wifi as they enter your range the router assigns them an ip address automatically. Normally it uses the lowest available number. If the ATV is asleep the number it last used is available and can get assigned to your iPad or what ever. When you wake the ATV it either can't connect or connects for a short time as the router tries to fix the conflict.

I run two ATV's plus iPad,iPhone iTouch and none ever drop the connection once I assigned them the ip addresses. Noticed the problem when the two kids would come over and connect to our WiFi, that is when the home sharing would drop. Their mobils were grabbing the sleeping ATV ip's. Once assigned to the devise by the router it holds them for their devises for about 24 hours. That is why it seems so intermittent and is making you crazy!!

I feel bad you typed all of this, because honestly my network and every other device(including ATV) i own is on a fixed IP, they never have issues, in fact everything on the ATV is fine, but not homesharing. In fact it's seems so specific that I can stream short TV epsiodes fine, but a 2hr movie, as of the last update, disconnects. I appreciate the advice, but this just seems to be a bug apple needs to address. Maybe your adivce will help others though with their networking issues, so kudos to you for helping and thanks! :D

Scarpad
Apr 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
It's a huge Pain to constantly have to go reboot itunes before use, I may just put my Mac Mini back and plex, at least its available when I want it.

whooleytoo
Apr 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
When Home Sharing disconnects, do the other streaming services still work? (Youtube/Vimeo etc?). In my case, when Home Sharing drops, all networking stops.

I went through many 'fixes' (changing router, turning off DHCP, switching Wifi channel to ensure it's unique in my building) with only little improvement. The only thing that made a substantial improvement was switching from Wifi to Ethernet, but even then upgrading the iOS firmware made it unreliable again.

I eventually swapped my ATV (under warranty) and it's been far better since. I do have some errors, but I never get the issue where the ATV drops the network connection completely. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

xxbrankxx
Apr 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
I've noticed when I'm scrolling through my music on my AppleTV2 when I select Metallica I get kicked out of my music library and it says to turn home sharing on (even though it already was!). When I go to my iMac, iTunes crashed. I can play anything from Metallica on my iMac through iTunes but on AppleTV2 it kicks me out and crashes my iTunes.

kizaw
Apr 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Mine don't drop in the middle of movies or music, but they do not connect to home sharing after waking from sleep mode. It happens on both my Apple TV2 on wi-fi and Apple TV3 on Ethernet. I also tried to put them both to never sleep but still have issues.

jupiterjones
Apr 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
I had both these problems:

1. Media stops playing on ATV and I have to restart iTunes
2. Media stops playing on ATV because home sharing disconnects.

Problem 1 stopped happening when I moved iTunes from my Windows workstation to a MacMini which is now acting as our main TV in the living room.

Problem 2 went away when I stopped using my ISP provided (Telstra) wireless router, and started using the Time Machine for wireless. It turns out that the Telstra router was limited to only support 5 devices at a time, and once new ones connected, the older connections simply stopped working. When I launched an app on my iPhone, the ATV would stop working until reconnected (or restarted), and then if I started watching a Movie, my iPhone browser would freeze. All fixed by shutting down the Telstra router and using the TimeMachine Airport.

sers
Apr 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Doing some tests and find out that home sharing doesn't quit when streaming music, only movies. I wonder if there's something limiting the amount of data thats being streamed through my network. Not sure why. Also, the other day I deleted and reinstalled iTunes and home sharing worked great - was able to stream a whole movie, but the next day it would disconnect.

This is driving me nuts.

whooleytoo
Apr 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
Doing some tests and find out that home sharing doesn't quit when streaming music, only movies. I wonder if there's something limiting the amount of data thats being streamed through my network. Not sure why. Also, the other day I deleted and reinstalled iTunes and home sharing worked great - was able to stream a whole movie, but the next day it would disconnect.

This is driving me nuts.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if it were related to the data usage - i.e. the connection drops more when under heavy load. Thus, it drops more when playing movies than when playing music.

I was meddling with my router settings, and turned on 40MHz mode on my router; and not only am I getting much faster loading, but my ATV playback seems more reliable as well.

I can now play a 1080p video on my ATV2 (obviously, downscaled) and fast-forward through it without it disconnecting almost immediately. However, if I keep fast-fowarding, the video stops buffering/loading. Then when the play position reaches the end of the buffered video, I often get a disconnect.

iphone1105
Apr 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
So I put a good two hours into trying to fix it this weekend. After everything I did, hard wiring the ATV to my modem seemed to get me the best results. Even though I have a great wifi modem, it just seems hard wiring it solved the issue for now. Haven't had one drop since it has been hard wired. Watched most of season 3 of Modern Family, and two films Girl w/ The Dragon Tattoo and MI: Ghost Protocol. Both films and about 6 episodes of Modern Family all played fine with no drops.

So fingers crossed this helped. However I'd like to go back to wireless, and it being flawless like it used to be. I hate wires!

machpost
Apr 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
I don't know if it's related, but lately I've been having problems accessing the photos on my PC on the Apple TV. When I click on my computer on the Apple TV, then select Photos, I'll just get the spinning wheel with "loading photos" message. It usually takes several tries to get it to connect.

iphone1105
Apr 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
Just an FYI, homesharing over wifi between my iPad and MacBook is flawless, no issues in that homesharing pair, just with the ATV. Which makes me realize more, this is an ATV issue,grrr.

davids8477
Apr 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Just an FYI, homesharing over wifi between my iPad and MacBook is flawless, no issues in that homesharing pair, just with the ATV. Which makes me realize more, this is an ATV issue,grrr.

I honestly do not think its an ATV issue, but rather an iTunes issue.
And its not a router issue.

I have my media in iTunes on a central Mac Mini. When I try to load the Central Library on either one of my ATVs (2 and 3) or my iMac or Laptop I get the Loading Library notice in the local iTunes but nothing loads. The local devices are connected either wired or wireless

I found 2 work arounds.
1. Stop and Start Home sharing
2. Stop and restart Itunes.

Both work immediately and there is no stuttering etc once they have connected.

So I wrote a simple Automator workflow to close and then open iTunes at 6 every morning. For the last week no issues.

Not the best answer, but until a better solution - hopefully from Apple - comes along......

omni
Apr 16, 2012, 03:39 PM
I put my AppleTV to never sleep - haven't had it disconnect since.

Tower-Union
Apr 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
I didn't do a real thorough read of all the posts here (more of a skimming) but the easiest solution I've found is to fire the program up on my computer, then set it to display on the appleTV (little airplay icon in the bottom right of iTunes will allow you to choose where you want it to display), it'll play through the entire show/movie without any problems. Of course its still a PITA to not be able to go through my appleTV to play the next episode but hopefully Apple will fix this!

txcpetty
Apr 16, 2012, 11:47 PM
Worked great until couple of days ago-- network is fine but homesharing is not working. My time zone keeps changing, I think this is an issue. Also set all my computers, and phone to share this helped for a little bit. Then unplugged, it helped for a little bit-- Someone said to do all kinds of changes in address so it wont grab onto phone ect-- REally? must I ? Why can't Apple fix what they broke?

sers
Apr 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
I tried reinstalling older versions of iTunes, but the problem remained. I'm wondering if it's the latest version of the Apple TV OS that's the problem.

mavis
Apr 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
I'm having a problem with this, too. I just bought an ATV3 and every time I try to access my iMac's Home Sharing (iTunes 10.6.1 running on Lion 10.7.3), it says that it's unavailable. After restarting iTunes, it works fine.

Here's my setup:

ATV3 --CAT5--> AirPort Extreme 5th gen #1
iMac --CAT5--> AirPort Extreme 5th gen #2

The two AEBS units are connected at 450Mbps (-45dBm) with reserved IP addresses for all of the devices on my network, so I don't think it's a network problem. Also, last night my iPad 3 was disconnected in the middle of a movie (but was able to finish the movie after restarting iTunes), so it's apparently not an ATV3-specific problem, either. Any suggestions?

duncyboy
Apr 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
May as well throw my tuppence in too...

Got a new ATV yesterday and have the same problem streaming movies/TV stuff from my iMac. It's finicky at best loading shared photos and music too.

All other service work fine, I'm absolutely convinced it's an issue with Home Sharing. I reinstalled/restarted with the latest software and a restart of iTunes temporarily fixed it. Deffo not an issue with my network.

All I can do is urge EVERYONE on here with a problem, if you haven't already, raise a ticket with Apple through their feedback. From various forums it seems this is quite an issue and the more of us point it out, hopefully, the sooner we'll get a fix?

whooleytoo
Apr 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
I went through a list of 'fixes' over several weeks (changing channels, changing routers, switching to Ethernet) and they all worked to various degrees.

Finally, I took my ATV2 back for a replacement, and it's been fine* since. I use it quite a bit for music & video, and haven't had the once/twice daily disconnects since.

(* have had other issues, but nothing like as often as the Home Sharing disconnects)

GarrettL1979
Apr 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
this problem is all over the place. apple has to be taking notice by now.

sers
Apr 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
Watched 2 movies last night on one apple tv with no issues. Went to watch another movie this morning on my other apple tv and it quit at least 4 times. Going to take that one back today for replacement and see if that helps.

sers
Apr 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
Went to the genius bar today and they told me to just use the remote app and play my media through AirPlay. I said this wasn't good enough and he suggested I do a full restore via my Mac as opposed to the apple tv. Have it plugged into my Mac now and doing a restore. Hoping this helps.

This is so frustrating.

jacksyee
Apr 22, 2012, 03:48 AM
I have had the same issue since my last update.

I have done the following:

1) reinstalled itunes after removing itunes and bonjour
2) hard connected my appletv to my router via cat 6
3) set my router to only wireless G
4) manually set my IP address on my router to ...102 and on my apple tv to ...102
5) restarted router and apple tv2

I get homesharing for 5 minutes then lose it. Oddly sometimes my ipad library can be seen by ATV2. My itunes thinks homesharing is on.

If I turn Homeshare on and off it works for another 5 minutes from my PC.

if i reboott Itunes it works for another 5 minutes.

I wonder if this is a clever way for apple to get you to subscribe to itunes match :)

Any other suggestions than those above? I think it's clearly Itunes - ATV works fine every other way - I can watch my purchased programs and music from the cloud via match for music and movies/TV if I have bought.

Wildog27
Apr 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
My issue is only with the ATV3. It'll do the play homeshare for 10 minutes then quit. I can restart the ATV3 and it'll play for 5 minutes then lose the homeshare again. The other 2 ATV2s we have work fine on homeshare. I wonder if it's some issue with the dual wifi antennas in the system itself and it's not making some transition between the two.

duncyboy
Apr 23, 2012, 05:57 AM
As an update to my previous post- over the weekend I set up my Apple TV with wired networking using powerline adaptors. I figured if I could only use the online stuff like YouTube I may as well speed up the connection. I restarted Home Sharing via iTunes when I was ready and, touch wood, it's been perfect since? No idea why cos it was a decent enough Wifi signal :confused:

steve-p
Apr 23, 2012, 06:21 AM
As an update to my previous post- over the weekend I set up my Apple TV with wired networking using powerline adaptors. I figured if I could only use the online stuff like YouTube I may as well speed up the connection. I restarted Home Sharing via iTunes when I was ready and, touch wood, it's been perfect since? No idea why cos it was a decent enough Wifi signal :confused:

I use powerline to get a wired network to my AV cabinet then straight into a hidden 8 port switch for the various things that need a network (ATV, Xbox, TV, Sky, AVR). I used to have issues with wireless too despite a strong signal but it's 100% stable these days. I think maybe having multiple wifi devices close together can cause some problems.

EvilC5
Apr 23, 2012, 06:30 AM
I have several ATV2's and 1 ATV3, and they all seem to disconnect from my Mini server library (which is where all my movies are) quite often. every one of my ATV's are wired via cat6 thru gigE switches to the newest AEBS, with the older firmware since lots of people said the new firmware causes issues.

I have VNC on my ipad, and can close itunes out pretty easily and restart, but its still a pain.

sers
Apr 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Well, restoring the Apple TV via my iMac didn't work. The problem is actually worse now.

I give up!!!!

LaunchpadBS
Apr 25, 2012, 03:12 AM
I jailbroke, installed XMBC and bought a NAS, problem solved :p

sers
Apr 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
I think I may have fixed my Homesharing problem. I have a wall mounted plasma tv and my Apple tv was mounted on the wall right behind it. After trying almost very suggested solution on this site and the Apple forums, I thought that maybe something was interfering with the wifi signal. I read in the apple tv owners manual that nothing should be placed on top of the apple tv as it might interfere with the wifi signal. The top of my apple tv was velcroed to the wall and faced the back of my tv. Suspecting that the back of my tv was interfering with my apple tv receiving a consistent wifi signal, I decided to velcroe my apple tv to the back of my tv, but with the top facing outwards away from the tv. To my amazement, homesharing now works without cutting out. I watched a whole movie without it cutting out to the home screen.

I'm still not 100% sure that this solved the problem as I never had any problems with iTunes, YouTube or Netflix movies before. I'll do more testing this week, but I've never been able to stream a whole movie without it cutting out.

I just thought I'd share my experience with you all. Check to see if anything might be interfering with your apple tv receiving a consistent wifi signal. This might be a problem for some people.

iphone1105
Apr 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
I think I may have fixed my Homesharing problem. I have a wall mounted plasma tv and my Apple tv was mounted on the wall right behind it. After trying almost very suggested solution on this site and the Apple forums, I thought that maybe something was interfering with the wifi signal. I read in the apple tv owners manual that nothing should be placed on top of the apple tv as it might interfere with the wifi signal. The top of my apple tv was velcroed to the wall and faced the back of my tv. Suspecting that the back of my tv was interfering with my apple tv receiving a consistent wifi signal, I decided to velcroe my apple tv to the back of my tv, but with the top facing outwards away from the tv. To my amazement, homesharing now works without cutting out. I watched a whole movie without it cutting out to the home screen.

I'm still not 100% sure that this solved the problem as I never had any problems with iTunes, YouTube or Netflix movies before. I'll do more testing this week, but I've never been able to stream a whole movie without it cutting out.

I just thought I'd share my experience with you all. Check to see if anything might be interfering with your apple tv receiving a consistent wifi signal. This might be a problem for some people.

My ATV is mounted the same way and position as yours, via velcro and homesharing still sucks. But glad it's working for you, that's cool! Enjoy it.

EvilC5
Apr 30, 2012, 10:54 AM
mine are all wired to my gigabit network, and home sharing still drops

rayward
Apr 30, 2012, 11:59 AM

+1.

whooleytoo
Apr 30, 2012, 12:00 PM

Yup, even a wired connection isn't rock-solid. Switching to wired did make a big difference for me, until an update broke it again. The only lasting solution I've seen is having my ATV replaced (under warranty). I'm hoping this one won't break too with a future update!

A2DY
Apr 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
My atv3 started dropping home sharing over the weekend when I updated to the latest iTunes.

Would work fine to stream from iPad to atv, and if used AirPlay from iTunes to atv was ok but would drop after 3-4 minutes if using home sharing through the atv.

What seemed to fix for me was to (on win 7) go to program's and repairing all the apple program's I have (inc bonjour) after doing that seems to be ok so far.

Could be worth giving that a try?

EvilC5
Apr 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
its got to be an itunes issue, all of my ATV2's have been flawless since new.

Otago Lad
Apr 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
its got to be an itunes issue, all of my ATV2's have been flawless since new.

The Apple Support Forums are full of posts on this issue and it appears that although people have managed short term fixes the common denominator is the upgrade to the latest version of iTunes. Hopefully Apple will address this with the next update.

By the way has anyone heard any rumours of a release date for the next version of iTunes?

radiogoober
May 3, 2012, 05:11 PM
The Apple Support Forums are full of posts on this issue and it appears that although people have managed short term fixes the common denominator is the upgrade to the latest version of iTunes. Hopefully Apple will address this with the next update.

By the way has anyone heard any rumours of a release date for the next version of iTunes?

I don't know, but Apple needs to get their crap straight.

If you want to see a cluster****, then load up your "Videos" app on the iPad, and look at your SHARED Tv shows. Oh my god, how could they ship such a terrible bug?

ljonesj
May 3, 2012, 06:51 PM
oh were the cover art repeats itself and sometimes it will let you go into your tv shows that you want or it goes to the tv show that the cover art shows. i ve had this bug since 10.5 itunes latest and ios 4 latest and i still have it but not the were the cover art shows one show and its that show ive got it were even thou its the wrong cover art its the show i want as i ve memorized were my shows are in itunes which sucks

shinobi-81
May 3, 2012, 06:53 PM
I don't know, but Apple needs to get their crap straight.

If you want to see a cluster****, then load up your "Videos" app on the iPad, and look at your SHARED Tv shows. Oh my god, how could they ship such a terrible bug?

Does it happen with ATV too, or only with iPad?

radiogoober
May 3, 2012, 10:24 PM
Does it happen with ATV too, or only with iPad?

Fortunately only iPad it seems. Tv shows and movies work well on apple tv, beside some sharing crapping out.

urkel
May 3, 2012, 11:59 PM

I know certain people get upset at statements like this, but Apple doesnt update issues fast enough. It seems thcanard seasonal on what products they care about and just rely on their defenders to hold down the fort until they decide to get back to squashing bugs. One month it's iTunes and you feel they're finally going to get it right but then it's silence for 8months because they moved on to iOS or OS X.

Hopefully we get a solution soon because it's pretty annoying to rely on workarounds than get actual updates.

duncyboy
May 4, 2012, 04:32 AM
Fortunately only iPad it seems. Tv shows and movies work well on apple tv, beside some sharing crapping out.

Same problem on the iPhone. All my movies show up fine, but some TV Shows show up several times and others not at all.

radiogoober
May 4, 2012, 06:49 AM
I know certain people get upset at statements like this, but Apple doesnt update issues fast enough. It seems thcanard seasonal on what products they care about and just rely on their defenders to hold down the fort until they decide to get back to squashing bugs. One month it's iTunes and you feel they're finally going to get it right but then it's silence for 8months because they moved on to iOS or OS X.

Hopefully we get a solution soon because it's pretty annoying to rely on workarounds than get actual updates.

I completely agree with you. I'm the biggest "fanboi" there is, but damn, there are some bugs in a lot of stuff, and it's been there a long time. And if you look at AppleTV, it only has a handful of features, and "Home Sharing" is right there on the AppleTV main screen, feature #4 (in the most recent software.) You'd think they'd want one of the 4 main features of AppleTV working correctly.

I bought a AT3, and sure enough, it cut out after 10 minutes twice in a row. It's back in the box, and the AT2 that I was going to replace is back in service and I'm going to keep that for the foreseeable future, until this problem is completely resolved.

I wrote this a long time ago, but I really wish Apple would take a little bit of time and just stamp out the bugs in a lot of their software on all their platforms. I can't imagine the hell it must be to maintain so many different platforms, devices, etc, but a lot of stuff is just annoying as hell. Nobody else in software is remotely close to Apple in terms of user experience, etc, so why not take just a month and stamp out every bug.

LaunchpadBS
May 4, 2012, 08:29 AM
Apple forced me to JB and install XBMC, it's the only way I can get the ATV to work now.

sers
May 4, 2012, 11:13 PM
I spoke to soon. Homesharing crapped out on me tonight.

Apple, can we please get an iTunes update that fixes this?

radiogoober
May 5, 2012, 06:35 AM
I spoke to soon. Homesharing crapped out on me tonight.

Apple, can we please get an iTunes update that fixes this?

I filed a bug report on this yesterday, and Apple replied back saying that it's a "known issue" and that they already have an open bug report for this. Of course, that means nothing for when they are actually going to fix it, etc. But at least they are aware of it.

I just can't believe their home sharing has so many danged bugs in it.

ljonesj
May 5, 2012, 08:03 AM
I found one way to fix the repeating of coverart and the issue were sometimes the cover art repeats and its the actually show you want or it repats the same show over and over re add you tv shows back into itunes as this fixes it for a while for me. i watch anime so you can imagine sometime the problems from that as i have almost 1tb of anime on my hd

iphone1105
May 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
Has the new update resolved anyones issues? I haven't updated I haven't been home :mad:. I hope, and hope this has fixed the homesharing issues we have been having!

ldaustin
May 11, 2012, 11:13 AM
I was having repeated disconnects from home sharing last night so I checked for updates. I was pleasantly surprised to see one was available. I loaded it and afterwards home sharing started to work perfectly. I played parts of about a half-dozen different movies including some that are HD. Everything was working perfectly and things even seemed to buffer faster. I only tested for about 1/2 hour so I won't declare my problems fixed yet, but it seems promising.

Terrified
May 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Looks like the latest update has resolved this - I've watched 2 120min plus movies today, and no dropouts on either.

Trailers don't seem to be working for me following the update though. Keep getting "Trailers are unavailable. Please try again later". Anyone else?

blueroom
May 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
What router are you using?

Obioban
May 12, 2012, 05:48 AM
I also haven't had any dropouts since the update this week.

Color me surprised. I thought it would be an iTunes update this fixed it, but turns out the issue was client side.

davids8477
May 12, 2012, 06:36 AM

Color me surprised. I thought it would be an iTunes update this fixed it, but turns out the issue was client side.

The update did not fix my issue. Its not just the ATV that has problems. I have problems sharing to my laptop and another desktop.

Otago Lad
May 13, 2012, 06:36 PM

Since the update I haven't had any issues either, although admittedly I have fixed a few issues I was having with my windows home server, although I don't think that was the problem.

EvilC5
May 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
excellent, I have been waiting to update all of mine until this was resolved and confirmed.

iphone1105
May 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
I can confirm, at least for me that Homesharing is 100% functional again. I was able to test out 6 movies while stuck home with the flu, and not one dropped or anything. I am back in love again.

Hope all those with homesharing drops have had it resolved.

BobD2
May 14, 2012, 01:09 PM
I've had similar problems (disconnecting in the middle of a movie) while streaming Netflix movies. Don't thinks iTunes is involved in this problem. When it happens, I have to go back into Netflix and re-select the movie. Fortunately, it allows me to resume where it left off rather than starting over from the beginning. Don't know if others have had this problem -- just started looking to see if others have posted the same problem.
This happened most recently on May 12 following a ATV3 update. Ran the update just prior to starting the movie. Same thing happened some weeks prior before the most recent update.

iphone1105
May 14, 2012, 01:51 PM
I've had similar problems (disconnecting in the middle of a movie) while streaming Netflix movies. Don't thinks iTunes is involved in this problem. When it happens, I have to go back into Netflix and re-select the movie. Fortunately, it allows me to resume where it left off rather than starting over from the beginning. Don't know if others have had this problem -- just started looking to see if others have posted the same problem.
This happened most recently on May 12 following a ATV3 update. Ran the update just prior to starting the movie. Same thing happened some weeks prior before the most recent update.

That's not homesharing's fault, see if they thread above this about Netflix issues can help ya!

duncyboy
May 23, 2012, 04:46 AM
Well it looks like I spoke way too soon! Sorry to whine but the ATV's been by far the worst Apple product I've owned. I've had several iPods, an iPhone for about a year and a half now and an iMac for four years and they've been- odd niggles notwithstanding- very reliable. But the ATV has been nothing but trouble unfortunately.

I'm convinced the problem is with iTunes Home Sharing though. It basically seems to go to 'sleep' when idle and doesn't wake. I have to restart iTunes to use it.

I've submitted a bug-report to Apple and judging from their forums this is a known issue but I think iTunes is now long overdue a serious overhaul. It's the lynchpin of Apple's business- iPads, phones, the iTunes store, the App store- these are some of Apple's biggest breadwinners. Surely a re-write is in the works?

blueroom
May 23, 2012, 05:09 AM
I've had absolutely no problems with my ATV 1,2 or 3

I did jam a 320GB HDD in the ATV1 but never bothered with jail breaking.

CylonGlitch
May 23, 2012, 08:54 AM
Try telling your computer to not sleep. I had this problem when running iTunes in Windows 7. For some reason when the PC goes to sleep, iTunes gets disconnected (that makes sense) but it doesn't know when the PC is woken up and automatically reconnects. So I went into the power settings and made sure the PC never went to sleep. It worked. . . mostly.

I had to do this when my ATV1 iTunes server hard drive failed. I have since repaired it and I'm back running the iTunes server in OSX and it has no problems at all. It is obviously an issue with the Windows version and it definitely has something to do with power management.

duncyboy
May 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately my Mac never sleeps, it's on 24/7.

Thanks anyway though :)

danielbrowning
May 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
I have this problem, and here is my setup.

When I try to access the library with either of my 2 Apple TVs, or the 2 iPhones in the house, or or iPad, it can see the computer but cannot access the library (Apple TVs just have the spinner). if I restart iTunes or turn Home Sharing off then on again, it works fine for everything. If the library is not accessed again for a while (not sure how long) then problem reoccurs.

My iTunes library is running on a Mac Mini which has no power management turned on; it never sleeps nor do the hard disks. All hardware is wired, no wireless involved. This problem has only been occurring in the last month or so, with no change in hardware.

AlexJaye
May 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
I had the same disconnect problem with my ATV 3 up until Apple released the newest software update. After I updated the issue went away.

Restore, maybe?

richpjr
May 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately my Mac never sleeps, it's on 24/7.

Thanks anyway though :)

Same here. And probably once a day I have to restart iTunes to get my ATV2 and ATV3 to recognize it. Once connected, it works flawlessly. Something in iTunes is not right.

duncyboy
May 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
I have this problem, and here is my setup.

When I try to access the library with either of my 2 Apple TVs, or the 2 iPhones in the house, or or iPad, it can see the computer but cannot access the library (Apple TVs just have the spinner). if I restart iTunes or turn Home Sharing off then on again, it works fine for everything. If the library is not accessed again for a while (not sure how long) then problem reoccurs.

My iTunes library is running on a Mac Mini which has no power management turned on; it never sleeps nor do the hard disks. All hardware is wired, no wireless involved. This problem has only been occurring in the last month or so, with no change in hardware.

Apart from the hardware (one iMac, one iPhone, one ATV3) that is IDENTICAL to the problems I have.

I've submitted a bug request since the last update. All I can do is recommend people do the same.

When it's working I love my Apple TV. It's fantastic. But the iTunes bug has made it the most problematic Apple product I've ever had, sadly. Touch wood a fix is on its way.

mercutio76
May 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
I use to have reset my network all the time to fix the problems mentioned, plus a bunch of other problems on my PC devices. Then I spent the extra money for an Apple Airport and all the problems went away.

I hate spending more than what I have to, but the Airport fixes so many networking glitches and saves so much frustration I would argue it to be a great deal even though it's over double the price of most wireless networks. Eg. In the last 5 months I've had to reset my router once.

Skalle06
May 30, 2012, 05:08 AM
Same problem. Pulled the wired ethernet connection to my ATV3 yesterday. Now the Home Sharing connects everytime on ATV3 and on the Remote app on my iPhone and iPad.

rlu929s
Jun 1, 2012, 04:08 PM
Mine used to do this all the time, but I finally got it fixed. I had to remove all other Home Sharing devices off my network except the ATV's and iTunes.

I had my iPhones and iPads using the Remote App. I removed them and have not had a problem since.

That was my solution for what it's worth.

murdoc158
Jun 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
Is everyone talking about an actual connection DROP or unable to connect all together? I haven't had a single drop while streaming from my server to my Apple TV3. I HAVE had issues connection to the iTunes shared library though. Disconnecting power on the Apple TV3 and restarting iTunes seems to fix that issue for me. Once connected to the library, it's 100% solid.

How are most of you connecting? I've got my Apple TV3 hookup up via Ethernet to my gigabit LAN with Cat6 throughout the house. The server has dual gigabit Ethernet ports (but only using 1 ATM). If connected via wifi it could be any number of factors. If feasible, head to monoprice.com and pick up a run of Cat6 cable for cheap and test a wired connection. Copying a 4GB movie over my hardwired network to my Macbook Pro will take less than a minute. If I'm using wireless N, it takes almost 5 minutes.

davids8477
Jun 2, 2012, 06:43 AM
Is everyone talking about an actual connection DROP or unable to connect all together? I haven't had a single drop while streaming from my server to my Apple TV3. I HAVE had issues connection to the iTunes shared library though. Disconnecting power on the Apple TV3 and restarting iTunes seems to fix that issue for me. Once connected to the library, it's 100% solid.

How are most of you connecting? I've got my Apple TV3 hookup up via Ethernet to my gigabit LAN with Cat6 throughout the house. The server has dual gigabit Ethernet ports (but only using 1 ATM). If connected via wifi it could be any number of factors. If feasible, head to monoprice.com and pick up a run of Cat6 cable for cheap and test a wired connection. Copying a 4GB movie over my hardwired network to my Macbook Pro will take less than a minute. If I'm using wireless N, it takes almost 5 minutes.

Certainly from my experience the connect does not drop once a stream has started. The issue is that after some dormant time the shared library can be seen in the "shared" button in the left column, but will not connect - just sits there "loading XXXX library".
It's not fixed my changing the connection (cat 6/5e/wifi etc) not messing with the IPV6 or whatever nor the router settings. The only fix I've found - after lots of trial and error (mostly error) is either to restart homesharing on the shared iTunes or restart iTunes on the shared machine. It will then refuse to connect after some dormant time - usually several hours - but I haven't measured that.
Once either of the restarts has happened then the library is loaded in a few seconds.
There are so many posts on this both here and the Apple support site - plus bug reports submitted - its surprising that Apple has not even acknowledged the issue let a alone provided a fix.

GarrettL1979
Jun 2, 2012, 08:02 AM
Certainly from my experience the connect does not drop once a stream has started. The issue is that after some dormant time the shared library can be seen in the "shared" button in the left column, but will not connect - just sits there "loading XXXX library".
It's not fixed my changing the connection (cat 6/5e/wifi etc) not messing with the IPV6 or whatever nor the router settings. The only fix I've found - after lots of trial and error (mostly error) is either to restart homesharing on the shared iTunes or restart iTunes on the shared machine. It will then refuse to connect after some dormant time - usually several hours - but I haven't measured that.
Once either of the restarts has happened then the library is loaded in a few seconds.
There are so many posts on this both here and the Apple support site - plus bug reports submitted - its surprising that Apple has not even acknowledged the issue let a alone provided a fix.

I thought I read somewhere on here that apple has acknowledged that this is a known issue and said they're working in it.

murdoc158
Jun 3, 2012, 01:25 PM

Gotcha. The thread title is a bit misleading. I am experiencing the same problems. An iTunes restart or rebooting the Apple TV seem to take care of the issue for me as well. Hopefully Apple will get this sorted out quickly.

xs6615
Jun 4, 2012, 02:43 AM

I just thought I'd share my experience with you all. Check to see if anything might be interfering with your apple TV receiving a consistent wifi signal. This might be a problem for some people.

I have the same issue aTV2 and aTV3, but via direct Ethernet. Home Sharing reset on aTV does not help either only an iTunes restart.

Sorry, but separate question about the above statement. If you velcro the aTV to your TV, presumably behind the TV, how does the line of sight remote work?

whooleytoo
Jun 4, 2012, 07:40 AM

I think part of the confusion is, there are multiple problems (or at least, multiple symptoms).

With my ATV2, I'd be home-streaming (usually a movie, sometimes music) and playback would stop, and the ATV2 would have dropped off the network. This occurred on Ethernet & Wifi, and only resetting the ATV2 would get it connecting again. Replacing it (under warranty) was the only option.

I haven't seen disconnects like that with the new ATV2, but I'm starting to see occasional "Error occurred loading this content" in the middle of playing songs. Annoying, but at least I don't have to reset iTunes or the ATV2.

So it seems like there are several different issues, and several different solutions. It is a little disappointing, given the ATV is such a limited functionality device, you'd hope it should be pretty easy to test, and reliable.

rayward
Jun 5, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry, but separate question about the above statement. If you velcro the aTV to your TV, presumably behind the TV, how does the line of sight remote work?

I have done this and it works surprisingly well. As long as the remote is pointed roughly at the TV, the ATV picks up the signal.

FWIW, the TV is question is wall mounted in a corner.

jnurthen
Jun 5, 2012, 04:18 PM
I was having an issue with my AppleTV2 losing home sharing and resolved my issue. This may help others who are in the same scenario

I discovered that simply having the VirtualBox host-only network adapter enabled on my windows PC caused home sharing to disconnect frequently and require me to restart iTunes in order to restore home sharing to my appleTV.

Disabling the VirtualBox network adapter resolved this issue (of course I can no longer use virtualBox without restoring this).

If you have any virtualization software on your iTunes machine then it is probably worth disabling the networking portion of it to see if that resolves your AppleTV issue.

grivera
Jun 9, 2012, 12:58 PM
Same problem here.

I have a 2011 iMac sharing our iTunes library to all our Apple TVs, iPads, and iPhones. I always keep my MacOSX Lion and iTunes software up-to-date. But unfortunately it seems that after a recent iTunes/MacOSX software update (not sure which) a new problem/bug was introduced.

After an idle period of several hours, the iTunes library will no longer service sharing requests from our other idevices. When trying to connect all we see is the spinning busy circle on all devices. I have to then manually restart iTunes on our iMac in order to restore normal sharing functionality, and then everything works great without any problems; no sudden disconnects, etc. But after several hours go by without any iMac or sharing activity, the same problem appears again.

Very frustrating.

FYI. Our iMac is configured to never sleep. No screensaver either. Only the display is configured to sleep after 15 minutes. Never had this problem until very recently.

*** I can't imagine any external firewall, network, router, or other factors that would contribute to a problem that resolves itself by simply restarting iTunes. Seems like a new bug in recent updates of MacOSX or iTunes.

Thoughts?

Obioban
Jun 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
Any word on if the latest version of iTunes, that came out right after WWDC, addressed this?

larry k.
Jun 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
Any word on if the latest version of iTunes, that came out right after WWDC, addressed this?

I still have this problem after updating to iTunes 10.6.3. It happens when sharing from my 2011 mini server on Lion and Mountain Lion and when sharing from my Windows 7 computer.

Grivera perfectly described what I'm going through as well.

:(

duncyboy
Jun 15, 2012, 04:47 AM
I still have this problem after updating to iTunes 10.6.3. Grivera perfectly described what I'm going through as well.

Seconded. I'm doing a full clean install of Lion this weekend (for reasons other than this) so it'll be interesting to see if it clears this up as well.

CylonGlitch
Jun 21, 2012, 06:27 PM
Sadly I'm now in the same boat as everyone else. After updating my server and AppleTV's now I get disconnected from home sharing after inactivity for a while. Not sure what's going on or how to fix it. I think it has something to do with configuration of the server but I can't be sure of that.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried setting every device on the network to fixed IP addresses with DHCP renewing every 365 days. Still no luck.

duncyboy
Jun 22, 2012, 05:19 AM
Sadly I'm now in the same boat as everyone else. After updating my server and AppleTV's now I get disconnected from home sharing after inactivity for a while.

No the problems still exists for me. Did a completely clean install of Lion and iTunes over the weekend and I still need to restart Home Sharing to get it working. It's DEFINITELY a problem with iTunes, though.

All I can do is urge everyone with this problem to send a bug report to Apple.

sim667
Jun 22, 2012, 05:40 AM
I had this problem and used to have a problem with airplay dissappearing too.

It was an issue cause by the IP address not renewing after wake. Everything now has a manual ip address assigned and works hunky dorey :)

garybUK
Jun 22, 2012, 06:10 AM

It was an issue cause by the IP address not renewing after wake. Everything now has a manual ip address assigned and works hunky dorey :)

It's not that Airplay is disappearing, I have this problem too, iTunes 10.6.3 running on a physical server running Windows 2008 R2 (also does it on OS 10.7 and 10.8 DP4) where you can watch fine, go out for a hour or so, come back, click the shared library and it just spins saying 'connecting to ....'

The only way to get it to wake up is by closing iTunes and re-opening it. IT's very very very annoying, especially when your mother is ringing you asking why her iPad or Apple TV won't play 'Biggest Loser' ha!

I've resorted to disconnecting the Apple TV and using the PS3 with PS3MEdia server pointing to the iTunes library until Apple fix this fundamental flaw.

One workaround I have seen on the net is to have something playing on a continuous loop. I can't do this as the server doesn't have a audio card in it.

whooleytoo
Jun 22, 2012, 06:36 AM
Sadly I'm now in the same boat as everyone else. After updating my server and AppleTV's now I get disconnected from home sharing after inactivity for a while. Not sure what's going on or how to fix it. I think it has something to do with configuration of the server but I can't be sure of that.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried setting every device on the network to fixed IP addresses with DHCP renewing every 365 days. Still no luck.

My ATV was still under warranty, so I had mine replaced and it works (almost) flawlessly. Do you still have the option of replacing it?

When I had problems, changing Wifi channel seemed to make slight improvement, switching to static IP addressing made an improvement, switching to Ethernet made a huge difference; until (as in your case) an ATV update broke it again. At that point I returned it and I haven't had to reset Home Sharing/stop iTunes/restart the ATV since. A couple of disconnects while playing a song, but Home Sharing now is quite stable.

wassal43
Jun 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
realllly annoying specially with AT 3 hope Apple will fix it sooon

murdoc158
Jun 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
It's not that Airplay is disappearing, I have this problem too, iTunes 10.6.3 running on a physical server running Windows 2008 R2 (also does it on OS 10.7 and 10.8 DP4) where you can watch fine, go out for a hour or so, come back, click the shared library and it just spins saying 'connecting to ....'

The only way to get it to wake up is by closing iTunes and re-opening it. IT's very very very annoying, especially when your mother is ringing you asking why her iPad or Apple TV won't play 'Biggest Loser' ha!

I've resorted to disconnecting the Apple TV and using the PS3 with PS3MEdia server pointing to the iTunes library until Apple fix this fundamental flaw.

One workaround I have seen on the net is to have something playing on a continuous loop. I can't do this as the server doesn't have a audio card in it.

I'd be willing to try this. Do I have to have iTunes playing something or can I open an audio file in VLC or something similar and just have it loop? I'm running Windows Media Server 2011, latest iTunes 64-bit version, manual IP on all network devices, DHCP reservations set on the router, and an Apple TV3 with the latest update connected via Cat6 Ethernet.

aced411
Jun 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
You know I had this issue for the longest time. It was definitely either something to do with iTunes or bonjour because it happened from whatever device I was trying to access my share. I got so frustrated I switched to Roku and used Plex. A few months later (recently) I decided to see if the problem still exists. To my surprise I no longer have the issue. Not sure which update fixed it, but I feel your pain.

CylonGlitch
Jun 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
My ATV was still under warranty, so I had mine replaced and it works (almost) flawlessly. Do you still have the option of replacing it?

I never had a problem until I got an ATV3. I took my old ATV2 and put it on another TV and the ATV3 as my main. Now I get this problem on the new ATV3, but also the old ATV2! Doesn't make any sense why I'd get it with the old ATV2.

Then again, maybe it wasn't the ATV3 . . . . shortly there after my iTunes server (ATV1 with Tiger on it (I think it's tiger)) died and I had to put a new hard drive in it, meaning a whole new install of the OS and iTunes. I wonder if something went wrong there.

sim667
Jun 25, 2012, 03:38 AM

Oh when that happens to me on appletv, i just join the wirless network again.

I thought it was my router, but maybe its not.

aced411
Jun 25, 2012, 08:15 AM
You know I had this issue for the longest time. It was definitely either something to do with iTunes or bonjour because it happened from whatever device I was trying to access my share. I got so frustrated I switched to Roku and used Plex. A few months later (recently) I decided to see if the problem still exists. To my surprise I no longer have the issue. Not sure which update fixed it, but I feel your pain.
I stand corrected, I'm still having the issue. This is rediculous, this issue has been going on for way too long

whooleytoo
Jun 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
I never had a problem until I got an ATV3. I took my old ATV2 and put it on another TV and the ATV3 as my main. Now I get this problem on the new ATV3, but also the old ATV2! Doesn't make any sense why I'd get it with the old ATV2.

Then again, maybe it wasn't the ATV3 . . . . shortly there after my iTunes server (ATV1 with Tiger on it (I think it's tiger)) died and I had to put a new hard drive in it, meaning a whole new install of the OS and iTunes. I wonder if something went wrong there.

You updated the ATV2 didn't you? That might be it. For me, it was rock-solid once I'd switched to Ethernet, then broke again with an ATV update. I've had the device replaced, and it's been great since. But I am a little nervous every time I update the new ATV2.

garybUK
Jun 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
You updated the ATV2 didn't you? That might be it. For me, it was rock-solid once I'd switched to Ethernet, then broke again with an ATV update. I've had the device replaced, and it's been great since. But I am a little nervous every time I update the new ATV2.

It's NOT the Apple TV..........

When you can't access homesharing you can't access it from 1) another iTunes desktop software, 2) iPhone / iPad 3) Apple TV .... it's purely the `server` part of the iTunes home sharing system.

----------

I'd be willing to try this. Do I have to have iTunes playing something or can I open an audio file in VLC or something similar and just have it loop? I'm running Windows Media Server 2011, latest iTunes 64-bit version, manual IP on all network devices, DHCP reservations set on the router, and an Apple TV3 with the latest update connected via Cat6 Ethernet.

Nope, has to be iTunes it's to stop iTunes going `idle`

whooleytoo
Jun 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
It's NOT the Apple TV..........

When you can't access homesharing you can't access it from 1) another iTunes desktop software, 2) iPhone / iPad 3) Apple TV .... it's purely the `server` part of the iTunes home sharing system.

That might be your experience, but there are probably several different issues in this thread all falling under the "Home Sharing disconnecting" category. Some might be caused by iTunes, some by the ATV, some by the Apple infrastructure. (I recall once the Apple authentication servers were down, so Home Sharing couldn't be activated on any device).

In CylonGlitch's case, I think he updated the ATV2, ATV3 and iTunes server, so it could be caused by any of the above. You're likely right though, iTunes is the more likely culprit in his case.

bluewooster
Jun 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
I had persistent homesharing droputs last month.

I know there are probably many potential reasons why this happens but, in my case (in case this is of benefit to others), my mac kept randomly ejecting my usb drives causing homesharing to quit. This was readily apparent - when i go to my computer, it tells me that the drive was ejected improperly. Why this occurs is beyond me (the drive is fine, ive diasbled putting drives to sleep, and it has even occurred while using the drive!). At a certain point, I just shrugged my shoulders and started hosting my itunes library with an old asus netbook i had that was collecting dust. Hasn't happened since in over 3 weeks! "just works" my a$$!

In fairness, before upgrading to lion, i never had a single problem with homesharing. I just don't have the enthusiasm i once had to go searching for the solution. Apple tv started as an exciting adventure where i would literally spend 100s of hours obssessed with getting my media accessible. Now, it has almost become "work". I never thought i would say this but apple tv has almost become a fancy netflix server for us as this seems to be the sole feature that works dependably for us!

Navdakilla
Jun 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
I didn't read through all the comments, but this problem was happening alot with me and it was really frustrating
(atv2, 2011 27" base imac)

I called everyone, went through all the troubleshooting. Turns out the problem was my cable providers internet router. It was the one responsible for dropping the signal all the time. In order to fix that I basically had to turn off homesharing and re-turn it on everytime I wanted to watch a movie.

I ended up purchasing a time capsule, and that changed everything. No more problems, nothing is wired, all wireless, no more dropped signals.

I'm not saying go pick up a time capsule since they are very expensive, but maybe your router needs a upgrade. If not a upgrade maybe the brand or model is having problems with communication for some reason.

Try a different router and see if there is a change

monty77
Jun 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
I have a very similar issue .. resetting iTunes fixes it 99% of the time, I got sick of running up and down the stairs to fix it I created a script that can be launched from Safari on an iOS device (or any browser capable device I'd imagine) to do this for me, details here:

http://monty77uk.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/vanishing-itunes-library-anyone-2-2/

M

Scarpad
Jun 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
I have a very similar issue .. resetting iTunes fixes it 99% of the time, I got sick of running up and down the stairs to fix it I created a script that can be launched from Safari on an iOS device (or any browser capable device I'd imagine) to do this for me, details here:

M

Mine too, I'll try your script, but I've mostly gone to plex

MrFSU
Jun 26, 2012, 10:12 AM
I had problems galore when I first got my ATV (March 2012) version. The first day I got it, everything went smoothly and it connected to iTunes on my home-built Windows 7 machine. Then the next day for no apparently reason I couldn’t get it to connect at all. Trailers and Netflix worked fine, but just couldn’t connect to the server. I was able to “ping” the ATV from the server so it wasn’t a network issue as it was hard-wired through the network and I was able to see it. So after trying just about every trouble-shooting tip on the Apple and MacRumors web sites, I completely reinstalled Windows 7 on that machine. Well, that was it. It has worked FLAWLESSLY since then. Well, the only exception was AirPlay. And I found out that was a problem with my wireless router. After some Googling, I discovered that if I disabled “WMM” under advanced wireless, everything worked well. So instead of rebooting my router every 4 days, it’s gone weeks now without a reboot. And I now have three (3) ATV’s and they all work flawlessly.

So the bottom line is if you have had your Windows 7 system for some time, it might save you a lot of time and aggravation to wipe it and reinstall. I couldn’t be happier.

Hope this suggestion helps someone else who was banging their head against the wall like I was!

CylonGlitch
Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
My problem, I am all wired, no WiFi at all. :(

aced411
Jun 29, 2012, 10:41 AM

M

I'm taking your concept in a different direction (not using that server side app). Seems like it will work. Will report back

aforkosh
Jul 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
I've been having the problem of losing the ability to control iTumes on my MacPro via the IOS Remote App. I also cannot then access iTunes items from my Apple TV.

I've found that I can get the sharing restored by turning off Home Sharing (from the iTunes Advanced menu) and then turning it back on. It's a less destructive workaround than toggling iTunes off and on but still a pain.

whooleytoo
Jul 2, 2012, 05:07 AM
I've been having the problem of losing the ability to control iTumes on my MacPro via the IOS Remote App. I also cannot then access iTunes items from my Apple TV.

I've found that I can get the sharing restored by turning off Home Sharing (from the iTunes Advanced menu) and then turning it back on. It's a less destructive workaround than toggling iTunes off and on but still a pain.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too occasionally.

The music (/video) keeps playing on the ATV, but the Remote app no longer controls it. In my case, the Remote app often quits (or crashes) for me not long after I see this issue.

aced411
Jul 2, 2012, 07:58 AM
I'm taking your concept in a different direction (not using that server side app). Seems like it will work. Will report back

No luck. I made a webpage (locally served) and tried to use a php script to trigger an applescript to restart itunes. There were security issues getting the applescript to kick off. I ended up trying your tutorial. It works, but I'd rather not have to use it.

Anyway, I assigned my machine a static IP address and made a DHCP reservation for it on my extreme router. I also disabled sleep on my apple tv. I haven't had any dropouts since these changes. It's been a few days so far. Not sure which change was the fix or if it's going to act up again.

mroberts48
Jul 3, 2012, 01:26 PM
Same problem. MacMini as media server. I have 5 apple TVs in house, 2 ethernet, 3 wifi. Happens about once per day and I have to shutdown iTunes and reopen it.

My temporary solution: I installed Rowmote Pro on my iphone/iPad and the Mini. Doesn't fix the underlying problem, but at least when this happens, I can shutdown iTunes remotetly from my iphone/ipad and restart it. The whole process takes about 10 seconds. At least it keeps me from having to run down to the Mini every day to restart iTunes manually.

aced411
Jul 4, 2012, 08:36 AM
No luck. I made a webpage (locally served) and tried to use a php script to trigger an applescript to restart itunes. There were security issues getting the applescript to kick off. I ended up trying your tutorial. It works, but I'd rather not have to use it.

Anyway, I assigned my machine a static IP address and made a DHCP reservation for it on my extreme router. I also disabled sleep on my apple tv. I haven't had any dropouts since these changes. It's been a few days so far. Not sure which change was the fix or if it's going to act up again.

Just stopping by to let you know I still have not had any dropouts after those changed. Problem solved for me.

CylonGlitch
Jul 4, 2012, 04:10 PM
Just stopping by to let you know I still have not had any dropouts after those changed. Problem solved for me.

Great! I wish all issues were easily solved. For some reason, mine keeps dropping out. Mine is definitely the server, not the ATV. I know this because my ATV2 that was rock solid. I upgraded to an ATV3 and then things started to drop out. BUT my ATV1 server also died and I rebuilt the image. . . now I get drop outs on the ATV2 and ATV3. :( It sees the service running, it can connect to it, but gets stuck at "Loading Library." :( I have to go though and figure out how to fix it. . . I know I setup a static IP for the server, and set the DHCP lease to once a year. Shouldn't have a problem . . . but still do. :( I'll figure it out eventually.

monty77
Jul 6, 2012, 03:53 AM

Nice one :-)

..these didn't work for me however but my workaround still works great thankfully.

Cheers,
M

Figo
Jul 7, 2012, 05:02 AM

Stumbled on the thread, have the same issue too. cheers :)

CylonGlitch
Jul 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
Ok, I've removed the ATV out of the equation; it HAS to be the server or something on it. Why? With Home Sharing turned on, and having disconnected itself, I used another machine with iTunes to try and connect to the library and it does the same thing as the ATV was doing. Stuck on the "Loading <machine name> Library. . . " If I go to the server and disable and re-enable home sharing, then it picks it up and it works fine.

Thus I'm now convinced it has NOTHING to do with the ATV's (in my case), it has to do with the server. I need to figure out what's going on, maybe a full wipe of iTunes and a re-install.

mroberts48
Jul 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
I agree that it has nothing to do with the apple TV. When the issue occurs, home sharing no longer works on any of my apple TVs, my iPhone, or my iPad. Simply close and restart iTunes and I'm up and running again perfectly on all devices.

buzzlightbeer
Jul 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
Took some suggestions from other posts - kept having to restart iTunes to connect to iPhone - ATV2 and ATV3.

Restarted itunes and set the ATV2 - wireless - to never go to sleep. ATV3 is hardwired to Airport Extreme - only because it's right beside it - and so far have yet to restart iTunes for a couple of weeks.

CylonGlitch
Jul 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
I've been spending a lot of time on this problem and trying to get it resolved. It seems like most people are not having the issue and thus I'm trying to figure out why I am having the problem.

Here is my setup :
- ATV1 running OSX 10.5.8
- Latest version of iTunes
- External USB Seagate hard drive (3TB) - formatted NTFS
- NTFS Software installed
- a few minor apps installed, but almost nothing else.
- HomeSharing turned ON in iTunes, and "Share my library" turned OFF
- All machines authorized and logged in with the same AppleID

Problem :
- After a period of time, I haven't yet figured out how long, HomeSharing, while running won't let anything access the library, it gets stuck at "Loading <machine name> Library."

What I know :
- This happens if I use the same library on a windows machine running iTunes.
- It is not network routing, I had no problem when everything was DHCP, and then it started. I've since moved to static IP addresses for EVERYTHING on the network and have had no chance.
- It is not AppleTV related, if I try to access the iTunes library with another PC or Mac, it does the same thing.
- Happens with devices that are WIRED in as well as those on WiFi.

What I need to test :
- Is it the iTunes library itself? (Current Test) I have removed the external drive, and created a very small internal iTunes library on the Server's hard drive [1 movie, 1 TV Show, 1 Song] by using content ONLY from Apple. Will this show the problem? If it does, then it isn't likely the library, if it doesn't it isn't iTunes itself, but something with the format of the Library.
- Could it be that the Library was used on both Apple and PC systems at one time or another?
- Could it be that I have several machines that have home Sharing turned on, one being my primary laptop, can that be causing the HomeSharing features of other iTunes libraries to become unresponsive? Need to turn off ALL other home shares and see if that fixes the problem.
- Need to figure out how long before it times out; could be an indication of what's going on.
- Could it be the external USB drive powering down? Need to setup a batch file that 'touches' a file every few seconds to keep it alive.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or tests to run?

CylonGlitch
Jul 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Update :
- Internal new iTunes library has not has this problem yet; it has been 3 hours, but since I don't know how long it normally takes to cause the problem, it is just a data point.

- I eliminated drive format from the issue. I have an older version of my library that NEVER had an issue; it is also formatted NTFS. I thought maybe NTFS wasn't saving some permission or something right; but that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem.

- I'm going to let the internal library run for a day and see if the problem comes up, if it doesn't than we know that iTunes itself isn't the issue, but it is something within the library.

- New test #1 : I'm going to go back to the backup library if the internal test library works. I know that one never had an issue. If that works without a hitch, I'll go on to Test #2 below.

- New test #2 : wipe out back up of library, create new iTunes library on it and re-import all the data from that library (letting iTunes manage the copying over). But this is a HUGE test and will take several days to run; so I need to get ready for it.

Update #2
- Somewhere between 6 and 10 hours after setting up the test, the problem is back. Seems that it is something unrelated to the library. It may be the operating system, I have my old operating system back (There are two different OSX 10.5.8 for ATV1, I am currently using a different version than I used before when I had no problems. I downloaded the same one I used before and will try that one again. If it works, then we know it is an OS setting and not iTunes itself. If it doesn't work, it is something to do with iTunes -- which is what I suspect).

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Update #3
I've run just about every course of action, and still, no success. I've reinstalled iTunes, I've used clean databases, nothing, still happens.

My plan for this weekend will be to reformat my ATV1's hard drive with the original operating system I was using and see if that makes a difference. If it does then I will know it was a setting in the operating system. If it doesn't then we know it is a problem with iTunes.

I feel this to be mostly a moot point because I was able to use my son's Windows 7 machine and get the same issue. It could also be the firmware on the Airport Extreme, that is a possibility . . . I wonder if others experiencing the same problem are using Apple's Airport.

mroberts48
Jul 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
I am using a Time Capsule

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 11:48 AM

Same basic machine. I know that around the time that this started for me (I had been running fine for years) there was a firmware upgrade for the Airport Extreme (although I had several things at one time, failed hard drive in my ATV1 resulting in a different version of OS being installed, updated ATV firmware, updated iTunes). Trying to narrow things down; too many variables.

----------

Same basic machine. I know that around the time that this started for me (I had been running fine for years) there was a firmware upgrade for the Airport Extreme (although I had several things at one time, failed hard drive in my ATV1 resulting in a different version of OS being installed, updated ATV firmware, updated iTunes). Trying to narrow things down; too many variables.

Another question. People having this problem, do you have multiple AppleTV's or just one?

mroberts48
Jul 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
I am a cordcutter. iTunes runs on Mac Mini. Total of 5 apple Tvs: 2 connected by Ethernet and 3 by WiFi. (2 Apple Tv 2s, 3 3rd generation) Also iPhones and IPads connected through home sharing in my household. When the problem occurs, cannot connect on any device until iTunes restarted. Happens approx once to twice per day.

CylonGlitch
Jul 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
I am a cordcutter. iTunes runs on Mac Mini. Total of 5 apple Tvs: 2 connected by Ethernet and 3 by WiFi. (2 Apple Tv 2s, 3 3rd generation) Also iPhones and IPads connected through home sharing in my household. When the problem occurs, cannot connect on any device until iTunes restarted. Happens approx once to twice per day.

Very similar to myself; same problems. Just trying to figure out how to get everything to work. I've assigned IP addresses to everything, nope, didn't work. 2 of my 4 ATV's are wired, 2 are wireless.

The twice a day seems about right for me as well. Although it could be more, but it does seem that once it is working, it works for about 6 to 12 hours before going out again. Not sure if it is time based (ie everyday the same time) or time-out based (ie. 6 hours after the last use).

I have an old AirPort Extreme that hasn't been upgraded (I don't think) yet; maybe I should try that one and see if the problem persists. At least it would be another point of data.

DrNoellyG
Jul 21, 2012, 02:22 AM
I had the same problem and I tried many solutions and none worked. The problem would go away and then come back a few days later. For me it was so frustrating that I went to another app to solve my needs.

ElZeus
Jul 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
If you're pulling files from a windows based pc try this regedit

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206725?start=45&tstart=0

"
1. Open registry editor ( Start search – regedit)
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Create a new DWORD value with the following properties:
NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel
VALUE: 1
4. Restart your PC and try the connection again
"

CylonGlitch
Jul 22, 2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the tip, but those of us having the fundamental problem seem to be all Mac. :(

But not sure what LSA is, need to look into it to see if it has a Mac counter part.

murdoc158
Jul 22, 2012, 08:22 PM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206725?start=45&tstart=0

"
1. Open registry editor ( Start search – regedit)
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Create a new DWORD value with the following properties:
NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel
VALUE: 1
4. Restart your PC and try the connection again
"

I tried this on my Windows Home Server this morning. Hopefully this fixes it. I'll report back later this week.

Edit: Worked for about 2-3 days, now it's back to dropping daily.

CylonGlitch
Jul 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
Looks like I might have had success. This morning I reinstalled the other AppleTV1 operating system. (There are two, 1) Full Leopard, 2) Reduced footprint Leopard) Originally I was using #1, and everything worked great. Then the hard drive failed, and when I went to get the OS again, #1 wasn't being seeded so I got #2 [along with a lot of other updates, iTunes update, Airport Update, etc..]. Ever since then I've been experiencing this problem.

I've been slowly working my way backward through all different things trying to get back to a working system one thing at a time. Nothing was working. So, now after eliminating all the easy things, and having found OS #1 image again, I figured I'd give that a try. I seriously didn't think it would make any difference. But I set it up this morning at about 11am and forgot about it. It is now 9pm my time and just tried it, it was there. That's a great sign!

I'll watch it for a few days and if anything changes, or even if it doesn't. I'll report back here and let you all know.

But as it stands right now, it seems like it is something in the operating system, maybe a setting or a driver, or something like this. So if you're experiencing this problem and you're running OS-X, maybe a clean install is the trick you'll need.

TheBantam
Jul 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
ClyonGlitch:

Interested to hear how your experiments go! I have the same problem, which started when I upgraded from ATV1 to ATV3 - that said, there was a software update then too so it could be hardware or software. Just thinking out loud:

My media library is on my iMac which is CAT5 to my AppleTV - certainly not IP address linked, although that was my initial guess. Stating the obvious, but it MUST be the way that iTunes and ATV connect, hence why restarting iTunes gets it working again. With ATV1 it used to appear in iTunes as a device (like an iPhone does), whereas now it does't, so I assume that is a switch to homesharing and thus the problem.

The old (stable interaction) appeared to be much more two-way - iTunes and ATV exchanging data back and forth which meant a persistent connection. Now ATV just seems to 'dip' into iTunes library and hence iTunes cuts it off after a few hours of quiet. Does homeshare have built in connection timeout? Maybe in a plist?

I have a couple of iPhones, and couple of iPads, a couple of Airport Express, and a couple of Mac laptops all accessing the network and all access the iTunes library (usually via airplay). This to me seems another big soft spot which might be resulting in ATV being kicked off (although didn't happen previously).

My playing for a solution has fallen off with Mountain Lion likely out in Thursday as a) it might be fixed in that update; or b) and solution I find my not work in 3 days!.:D

CylonGlitch
Jul 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Well, I'm disappointed. After 24 hours, problem persists. :(

I'm now wondering if it is multiple devices on the network. I am thinking of setting up the ATV3 and the server on it's own network, both with fixed IP addresses and see if that fixes the problem. It would be an interesting test.

d.steve
Jul 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
So I've had chronic issues with home sharing disappearing on atv2, iPhones, and iPad since I started using it.

Mac wired to airport express, express joined to airport extreme wireless network, other devices directly attached to extreme or wirelessly.

Every 4-48 hours, itunes drops out of home sharing. Rebooting the express usually brings it back until it disappears again, so I felt this likely had to do with bonjour proxy service somehow.

I recently had to change my wireless password to something shorter and less complicated because the crappy directv device I upgraded to wouldn't handle the password I had.

Lo and behold, it has been rock solid ever since. 8 days straight, more than twice as long as ever before, at least.

I don't think it had to do with the password itself, as when home sharing dropped out, all other functions were still fine over wireless. I have to assume that it somehow reset the express config in some way.

FWIW.

CylonGlitch
Jul 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
New update, or bit of information. Tonight I tried something again, I hard set the IP addresses on the ATV server and the ATV3. I then tested the network connection on the ATV3. It fails, saying it cannot connect to the Apple Server. I get this when I try to get a movie from iTunes as well. But Netflix and Youtube work perfectly. So why is it not able to connect? I have no idea; but it could be the source. Not so much iTunes dropping Home Sharing, but maybe, ATV is dropping it's authentication to the Apple Server?

----------

More interesting information :

1. Hard coded my IP Address
2. I logged out of my account from the main menu - settings
3. I tried to log back in, but it failed to Communicate with Apple
4. Worked fine with Youtube and Netflix.
5. Unplugged the AppleTV
6. Plugged in the Apple TV
7. Tried to go to Movies in the Cloud
8. Prompted for Login User ID and Password
9. Now can communicate to Apple
10. Everything seems working at this point (need to wait until tomorrow and see).

I found it interesting that it needed my ID when I went to a cloud meaning it had no idea what it was. Now it should. Maybe, just maybe it's fixed?

CylonGlitch
Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
I think it's fixed. 24 hours later and everything seems perfect. Next step will be for me to put the AppleTV and ATV Server back to DHCP and see if everything stays the same. I get the impression that it might now that I've reset the password to iTunes.

Wavell
Jul 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
I think it's fixed. 24 hours later and everything seems perfect. Next step will be for me to put the AppleTV and ATV Server back to DHCP and see if everything stays the same. I get the impression that it might now that I've reset the password to iTunes.

I've found that upgrading my iTunes media server to mountain lion appears to have fixed my homesharing dropout issue. I'd have swore blind until then that it was an iTunes issue but, for me anyway, it appears to have been caused by the lion OS.

//EDIT

Famous last words - after two days of it working fine I've just had to restart iTunes on the media server to allow the library to be read by ATV3. Apple, I hate you at times :0(

CylonGlitch
Jul 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
Famous last words - after two days of it working fine I've just had to restart iTunes on the media server to allow the library to be read by ATV3. Apple, I hate you at times :0(

Damn it, it must be the weather. After several days, mine is doing the same thing as well. :( It was working, and now dead in the water once again. :( Really frustrated with this, especially since the ATV and the Server are wired, it shouldn't be WiFi.

I did see something odd this morning though. My ATV3 switched to WiFi (which in my case has no access to the network) so I had to reset it and finally figured out that the Ethernet cable had worked it's way out just slightly.

Wavell
Jul 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
Mine's all wired too - I just don't get why it's taken apple this long to (not) fix this. It's been a known issue for something like 4-5 months now

whoiare
Jul 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
to add more to the fire:

i was watching a movie from my itunes library on my mac mini to my atv3. i paused the movie. walked a way for a bit. My screen saver came on on my atv3..then it went to sleep...i think its set for 15min...and when i came back and turned it back on with the remote i couldnt connect again. i have all the other issues from people in this thread...all apple...ipads atv2 atv3 all cant connect until i restart itunes. Just adding that i literally paused a movie..walked away for 20 mins and lost connection

jroth21
Jul 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
This is a network issue nothing to do with apple tv as far as a product goes. You have to make sure there are no conflicting IPs on the network. Make sure ports are open that need to be. Static the ATV and Comp with iTunes, ATV with higher ip address than pc, so pc 192.168.1.103 APTV 192.168.1.111 also make sure power is not shutting off connection in advanced power controls.

CylonGlitch
Jul 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
This is a network issue nothing to do with apple tv as far as a product goes. You have to make sure there are no conflicting IPs on the network. Make sure ports are open that need to be. Static the ATV and Comp with iTunes, ATV with higher ip address than pc, so pc 192.168.1.103 APTV 192.168.1.111 also make sure power is not shutting off connection in advanced power controls.

Been through all of that. I have hard coded IP addresses and there is no conflicting addresses. There is much more too it than an IP issue.

whoiare
Jul 30, 2012, 02:39 PM

i think youll see that if you actually read through the post youll find that people have stated numerous times that they KNOW its not the ATV and that the KNOW its not the network...besides youre using windows IPs and most people here are having all mac issues...its itunes plain and simple

CylonGlitch
Jul 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
I have multiple machines on my network running iTunes. I wonder if it is possible of some contention. I should check the machines and see if there is any other iTunes with Home Sharing turned on.

mroberts48
Jul 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
So far 72 hours since I updated to Mountain Lion and it hasn't happened once. Prior to Mountain Lion at least once to twice per day!

duncyboy
Jul 31, 2012, 03:10 AM
So far 72 hours since I updated to Mountain Lion and it hasn't happened once. Prior to Mountain Lion at least once to twice per day!

Wish I could say the same. I've had ML for 3 days now and the problem persists. Glad to hear yours has worked though.

Sorry to repeat myself but all the people on here, leave feedback with Apple. The more the merrier!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

whoiare
Jul 31, 2012, 08:38 AM
I have multiple machines on my network running iTunes. I wonder if it is possible of some contention. I should check the machines and see if there is any other iTunes with Home Sharing turned on.

I think youve done enough empirical debugging to know thats its clearly an itunes/all mac issue. My setup is as simple/new/apple as it gets:

newest airport extreme
2010 mac mini - itunes library on external drive
ipad 1
ipad 2
ipod 3g
atv2
atv3

brand new house...brand new cat 5e...wireless works perfect etc etc etc

every single device loses the itunes library daily/hourly/aftersleep etc...

rayward
Jul 31, 2012, 09:59 AM
I think youve done enough empirical debugging to know thats its clearly an itunes/all mac issue. My setup is as simple/new/apple as it gets:

newest airport extreme
2010 mac mini - itunes library on external drive
ipad 1
ipad 2
ipod 3g
atv2
atv3

brand new house...brand new cat 5e...wireless works perfect etc etc etc

every single device loses the itunes library daily/hourly/aftersleep etc...

Same here. My Airport Extreme is older, but running the latest soft/firmware, and my "hub" is a 2011 iMac i7 with the iTunes library on an external, firewire-connected drive. 2 of my 3 ATVs are connected via Cat 5e ethernet, and one is wireless.

Unless I restart iTunes immediately before trying to watch content, it will not connect to my ATVs. Every. Time.

whoiare
Jul 31, 2012, 10:48 AM
Same here. My Airport Extreme is older, but running the latest soft/firmware, and my "hub" is a 2011 iMac i7 with the iTunes library on an external, firewire-connected drive. 2 of my 3 ATVs are connected via Cat 5e ethernet, and one is wireless.

Unless I restart iTunes immediately before trying to watch content, it will not connect to my ATVs. Every. Time.

yep...its quite simply itunes

Wavell
Jul 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
Hi folks - I finally got to the bottom of this after trawling apple's community discussions.

To sum up:

If you have an ATV3 on your network then make sure it's not wired. i.e wi-fi only

The ATV3 basically opens endless home shares when it's wired. When the open homeshare connections on the iTunes server exceeds 100 then iTunes will refuse to accept any more (hence the requirements to restart).

I've now had my ATV3 connecting wirelessly for a few days now and everything's been fine. I'll see if I can find the link to the discussion thread at some point.

mroberts48
Aug 1, 2012, 12:36 AM
Well, I had thought that Mountain Lion fixed the problem, but today it happened again. Restarted iTunes and all back to normal. Strange that it went almost 4 days without a problem. I do have a wired ATV3 on my network, so I'll switch it over to WiFi and see how it goes.

Wavell
Aug 1, 2012, 12:54 AM
Well, I had thought that Mountain Lion fixed the problem, but today it happened again. Restarted iTunes and all back to normal. Strange that it went almost 4 days without a problem. I do have a wired ATV3 on my network, so I'll switch it over to WiFi and see how it goes.

According to the apple discussion boards, it's a combination of wired ATV3 and when they're sleeping. So theoretically you could also try just disabling sleep on your ATV3. I just decided to move my ATV3 to wifi and it's been fine since (touch wood)

CylonGlitch
Aug 1, 2012, 01:21 AM
Hi folks - I finally got to the bottom of this after trawling apple's community discussions.

To sum up:

If you have an ATV3 on your network then make sure it's not wired. i.e wi-fi only

The ATV3 basically opens endless home shares when it's wired. When the open homeshare connections on the iTunes server exceeds 100 then iTunes will refuse to accept any more (hence the requirements to restart).

I've now had my ATV3 connecting wirelessly for a few days now and everything's been fine. I'll see if I can find the link to the discussion thread at some point.

This is very interesting, I will probably try this in the next day or so. I did notice that most of the people complaining about this problem have at least one wired ATV3 . . . maybe the fundamental problem. Would be nice to be able to finally fix it.

Wavell
Aug 1, 2012, 01:54 AM
This is very interesting, I will probably try this in the next day or so. I did notice that most of the people complaining about this problem have at least one wired ATV3 . . . maybe the fundamental problem. Would be nice to be able to finally fix it.

Here's the link to the discussion :)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3948888

at this point in time, it's about 14 pages - it's worthwhile reading it through from page 1 as you can then see the solution (and cause) being progressed.

StevenB14
Aug 1, 2012, 03:02 AM
My MBP and ATV3 are both wireless and I get dropouts daily. It has to be an issue in iTunes with home sharing.

I think until there is a definite solution I will just connect the MBP via HDMI and use remote app on my phone to control the content being played on the TV.

On a related topic, has anyone tried to play a video via another media player in ML and airplay it through your ATV3? Does this drop out? If not surely that points to iTunes being the issue?

splendidham
Aug 1, 2012, 03:55 AM
I also had the same problem. I called apple support and they said it was most likely a bug of some sort that should be fixed with future updates.

Anyway, I was using a Logitech router. Recently acquired AirMac express and no longer experience that problem. Perfect connection every time. So I think home sharing just doesn't play nice with some routers

bergmef
Aug 1, 2012, 04:33 AM
Mine did this a couple of months ago. I changed the apple tvs to 'never sleep' on all 4 apple tv's (in 3 different houses) and have not had an issue since. One is wired and the other 3 are wifi.

Good luck!

whoiare
Aug 1, 2012, 06:30 AM
so far moving my atv3 to wireless has fixed my issue....did the fix last night and this morning homesharing worked instantly....also to note even though this isnt the correct thread...huluplus showed up on my JB atv2 after reboot...i still dont understand how thats possible without a software update

Wavell
Aug 1, 2012, 06:54 AM
so far moving my atv3 to wireless has fixed my issue....did the fix last night and this morning homesharing worked instantly....also to note even though this isnt the correct thread...huluplus showed up on my JB atv2 after reboot...i still dont understand how thats possible without a software update

I suspect the huluplus icon and associated code has been part of the iOS build on apple TVs for some time. They've just enabled it somehow. I'm guessing your ATV "phoned home" at some point and then the "huluplus flag" within got enabled..

whoiare
Aug 1, 2012, 07:24 AM
I suspect the huluplus icon and associated code has been part of the iOS build on apple TVs for some time. They've just enabled it somehow. I'm guessing your ATV "phoned home" at some point and then the "huluplus flag" within got enabled..

the enabled somehow part is what has me curious. The last time they added apps to the atv it was a software DL...now it just SHOWS up....and even more curious that it showed up on my jailbroken one as well. was it on a timer? i just find it all odd and even odder that no one is really talking about HOW it actually appeared

Wavell
Aug 1, 2012, 07:34 AM
the enabled somehow part is what has me curious. The last time they added apps to the atv it was a software DL...now it just SHOWS up....and even more curious that it showed up on my jailbroken one as well. was it on a timer? i just find it all odd and even odder that no one is really talking about HOW it actually appeared

yep I hear you. As I said.. I suspect the app's been there all along but periodically the ATV checks with a server somewhere to see if it can enable xyz. Only apps / menu structures that are enabled will appear. This would be outside any jailbreak.

d.steve
Aug 1, 2012, 09:19 AM
So I think there are a couple of things worth mentioning that could help isolate the issues people are seeing further.

- disable sleep one the Mac temporarily to see if the problem goes away. It could be that sleep triggers the issue, as it did for me.
- when the problem happens, try restarting the Airport device, or any other device that acts as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy on your network. Does not apply to most 3rd party wifi base stations.
- try the things in this thread that resolved the issue for some people, but don't expect a cure all. What worked for one person has shown not to usually work for others but you don't know until you try. Like static IPs or switching ATV from wired to wireless.
- just a request: wait several days before updating the thread on success/failure. There are lots of reports of "this fixed it" followed hours/days later by "oops, no it didn't :(" by people trying to help but just making it hard to find the things that might be most helpful.

FWIW, I used to have this problem within a day or two at most, and now the problem hasn't happened in 2.5 weeks by merely changing the password on my airport express. I don't think it's the password - I think it caused some corrupted config in the express config to be rewritten.

CylonGlitch
Aug 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
I did notice one day, when there was no network activity I looked at the router that the ATV Server is sitting on and it was going crazy. I didn't think much of it, but reset my router and everything went away for a while. It could have been the ATV's trying to make connections to the server. This would make a ton of sense now.

rvinny
Aug 1, 2012, 01:25 PM

For me it's been the opposite. I didn't get the problem until I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Home Sharing drops after 5 minutes and now, the ATV3 has begun losing it's connection altogether (not just Home Sharing but Netflix, etc).

Verizon Router to Airport Extreme (in bridge mode) on 5GHz, Airport Express extending 5GHz, MacMini (hard wired), ATV3 (wireless on 5Ghz) -- all running latest firmware. I have an Xbox connected on 5Ghz as well, no issues with connectivity. IP's are all DHCP. No issues with this set up for 3+ months when I was running 10.7.

I haven't tried home sharing on the iPad etc, when all of this happens. Will look at that next.

whoiare
Aug 2, 2012, 09:01 AM
just adding that for 2 days now ive had no homesharing connection issues while changing my atv3 from wired to wireless. homesharing is now super fast and all my devices connect without issue

musicnt
Aug 2, 2012, 07:02 PM
After install Mountain Lion + iTunes 10.6.3:

Apple TV 3 / Computers, no computers visible on home sharing.
iTunes lost connection while playing on the Apple TV. I can be in the middle of a movie and it disconnects. I cant use Airplay either, the airplay icon disappears from iTunes.
App Remote not working anymore.

iMac 2011, Apple TV 3 wifi

Wavell
Aug 3, 2012, 09:22 AM
just adding that for 2 days now ive had no homesharing connection issues while changing my atv3 from wired to wireless. homesharing is now super fast and all my devices connect without issue

mine's been stable now for the last 5 days maybe, since switching the ATV3 to wireless. It appears ,now, that at least one of the homesharing issues has been worked around .. at least until apple patch it (and then no-doubt introduce another bug in the process) :rolleyes:

murdoc158
Aug 3, 2012, 10:39 PM
I changed mine from wired to wireless and the Apple TV kept loosing network connection every 20 minutes or so. I've got a new Apple Extreme less than 20 feet (through 1 wall) away. I'm back to wired until I can figure out what's causing the issue.

Edit: enabled the 5GHz band on the AE and connected the Apple TV to that. Wireless has been solid since.

rvinny
Aug 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
for me it gets worse, ATV3 issues originally started with Home Sharing drops, then progressed to WiFi drops (on an Airport Extreme at 5Ghz).

I did a reset of the ATV, sometimes the device reconnects, other times it's stuck on the main screen with only a 'Computers' and 'Settings' icon. Performed a full restore in iTunes, everything came back and worked for about 5 minutes before dropping Home Sharing. Upon investigation it was all of WiFi down again (no podcast, no Netflix, etc.)

Switched the Airport Extreme to 2.4GHz, same results. Turned off the Airport and went with the ISP supplied router, same results. Makes me think the WiFi module went bad in the ATV3 except it was flawless for 4 months. This didn't happen until the same day I upgraded the computers to 10.8. Coincidentally, I am having issues on the MacBooks with holding a 5GHz connection as well. Then you might suspect the Airport Express is flaking out (2 years old) but the ATV3 exhibits the same issues on the ISP wifi router at 2.4GHz so it's an endless cycle at this point that didn't exist the day before 10.8 came out.

Dan DRC
Aug 6, 2012, 11:06 AM
I set both of my ATV units to "never" sleep and my dropouts have been reduced drastically. I used to have 2 or 3 a day, now I have had just 2 total over a five day period. More than I would like but a welcome improvement.
I do think the problem is in iTunes though.

Deadeyeshark
Aug 7, 2012, 01:24 PM
i have tried EVERYTHING to get a stable Home Sharing network, it's fantastic when it works, and it did right up until the last update (in Feb I think).

When I say everything... from setting static IP addresses, changing my router to an airport extreme, resetting my network....., turning HS off and on, restarting iTunes..... its driven me mad.

But......!

I think I have found a solution. I have had a stable connection now for three days....

My set up is three ATV2 & 1 ATV3, various iOS devices and a mix of Macs & PC's. I reset the network, changed the ATV3 to never sleep and it hasn't had a a drop out since. Seems simplistic, but it has worked. :):):):apple:

If that doesn't work, another tip I found while fiddling around with settings (you do need multiple Macs) is to sign into HS on more than one computer (if you have more than one), it seems to keep the connection stable for longer.

I hope this is sorted for the next update.

MonkeySee....
Aug 8, 2012, 03:42 AM
Come on Apple. Give us an update to fix this!!

JackieTreehorn
Aug 8, 2012, 04:48 AM
Similar problems here, only they seem to be most problematic for my ATV3. My iPad 3 and iPhone 4S sometimes cannot find HomeSharing: I either have to restart iTunes or sign out and in of homesharing in iTunes.

My ATV3 refuses to play movies that are larger than 1 Gb. Further, when I play a >4Gb movie on my iPad (which generally works just fine) I cannot even get Airplay to play that movie through my ATV3 on my HDTV.

Problems seems to have started when I upgraded to Mountain Lion...

MonkeySee....
Aug 8, 2012, 04:54 AM
I can homeshare on my iPad and iPhone. My ATV2 just won't connect unless I restart iTunes.

JoeBlow74
Aug 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have not has one issue what so ever with Home Sharing. It just works.

Hermes Monster
Aug 9, 2012, 04:27 PM
Got my ATV3 yesterday and already having these problems. To clarify my issue is when I go to "computers" it just says "..will connect to apple ID of *****...." or something like that, turning home sharing on and off on the ATV3 fixes the issue. The drop out occurrences have no real rhyme or reason to the times, sometimes it happens after a minute, while other times it will last 45 minutes.

I'm using wifi between my 2010 iMac (Lion) and the ATV3, as well as iPad 3, iPhone 4 and 4S. Going to try the fixed IP addresses to see if that helps but I'm not hopeful.

I'm also have an issue with viewing photos via AirPlay from my iPad to the ATV, which just cuts out after a few minutes :( I was loving the ATV until this started happening

Deadeyeshark
Aug 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
I have not has one issue what so ever with Home Sharing. It just works.

I had no issues right upto introducing an ATV3 into my network and mixing it in with existing ATV2's and I think this is where the problem is, at least I have managed to isolate the problem here.

There are too many people here and on the Apple forums to suggest this is a user issue. Still, not long to wait until iOS6, hopefully ATV and iTunes will be updated at the same time.

mroberts48
Aug 10, 2012, 08:57 AM
I switched my Ethernet ATV 3 to never sleep and I think my problem is gone. It has been over a week now and no iTunes resets required. I did nothing to the ATV 2s. Incidentally I have 2 other ATV 3s that are connected by Wifi that I also did nothing to. So for me, anyway, only changing the Ethernet ATV 3 to never sleep seemed to fix the problem.

Hermes Monster
Aug 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
Setting a static ip has done nothing for me, it's possibly even worse than it was. I set it to not sleep for 5 hours which should do it right?? Thinking of taking it back now, really annoying

rlu929s
Aug 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
Still, not long to wait until iOS6, hopefully ATV and iTunes will be updated at the same time.

Sadly, there were quite a few of us that have said this for the past several updates and they never seem to fix the underlying issue. :(

Mines still requires a restart every so often, but after doing many of the items here and taking off all my iRemotes off home sharing it worked better.

I'm trying out the iOS Remotes again...."crosses fingers".

whooleytoo
Aug 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
Setting a static ip has done nothing for me, it's possibly even worse than it was. I set it to not sleep for 5 hours which should do it right?? Thinking of taking it back now, really annoying

If you're thinking of taking it back, try asking for a replacement first. I did with mine, and that was the only 'permanent' solution.

CylonGlitch
Aug 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
Mine disconnected for the first time yesterday after being fine for a week. :( Back to working on finding a permeant solution. I'm going to try making it WiFi and see if that fixes the problem.

Dharszolin
Aug 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
My setup...

Netgear WNDR3700 v2 flashed to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/14/11) std
2x ATV3 (running v5.0.2 (4250)
1x ATV2 (vSoftware unknown atm)

iTunes 10.6.3 running in a dedicated Windows 7 professional VM under Hyper-V standalone.

The 2x ATV3s are DHCP and WiFi on the N Band. DHCP is issued by a Windows 2003 VM domain controller.

I never notice the ATV2 dropping out but I see the ATV3s dropping multiple times during the day. If I reboot the ATV3s the Home Sharing resumes for a bit. If I restart iTunes if will reconnect for awhile. If I reboot the iTunes VM it resumes for a bit.

I have not tried the static addressing yet that I have read sometimes works. Has anyone tried MAC assigned address or should it be hard coded on the ATV3. I have not tried the sleep fix either.

Hermes Monster
Aug 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Just had a software update to my ATV3 and it's been working without dropout for about 30 minutes so far... Promising

Unfortunately I've been messing around with my iMac and router as well, so if it is indeed working, I'm not sure what fixed it... Doh!

bryan85
Aug 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
I also have the streaming issue. I don't think it has to do with the type of connection you have(wired vs. wireless), at least for me. What I noticed was that once the video was completely buffered locally on the ATV, the connection would drop shortly thereafter. I was able to fix this by running the program Caffeine on my Mac that I was streaming from. Seems like the connection to iTunes is timing out due to inactivity. Also, this was not caused by my Mac going to sleep. I have power plugged in and it's configured to never sleep.

Hermes Monster
Aug 12, 2012, 03:22 AM
Good point, I also started turning Caffeine on (free from the app store) - maybe that's all it needed!

Update from my earlier post.. I managed to watch the whole of Iron Man 2 (approx. two hours) without any issues, fingers crossed it continues

Aragornii
Aug 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
I've had the same issue with Home Sharing disconnecting, which started when I upgraded to ML recently. I'm not sure if it's ML or the latest version of itunes that's the problem, quitting itunes and restarting reconnects Home Sharing to the ATV.

The reason I suspect the latest version of itunes in the culprit is that when I go to restart it I often have the spinning beach ball and need to force quit.

On the other hand, I have been having network issues since installing ML. Screen Sharing barely works. It used to load up right away. Now, if I click Screen Sharing I need to let it sit about 5 minutes before it connects.

Will wait until there's an update of one or the other to see if that solves the problem. For now, will just reboot itunes whenever I need to use my ATV.

Deadeyeshark
Aug 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Since my initial post HS has remained stable, just a case of switching the ATV3 to Never Sleep.

Not ideal, but it beats running upstairs every couple of hours to reset iTunes.

djfjeff
Aug 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
I have the same problem since this week. I changed two things at the same time (I know, this is hard to debug a problem when many things have changed)...

I upgraded my Mac Mini server to Mountain Lion and changed my router to a Time Capsule 3TB.

Everything was working fine before (Mac Mini server with Lion and Netgear WNDR3700 router).

Both my Mac Mini and aTV3 are wired to the Time Capsule.

Before upgrading, my aTV3 was really stable. It played everything and found my iTunes library with no problem.

Since the upgrade, every time I come back from work, the aTV cannot find the iTunes library. I have to restart iTunes and everything come back to normal.

Another problem since the upgrade : when my aTV sleep, I cannot wake it up with the Remote app on my iPhone. Also, I do not see it in the Airplay target anymore. Before the update, simply launching the Remote app on the iPhone would start my aTV automatically.

tibere86
Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
I have the same problem since this week. I changed two things at the same time (I know, this is hard to debug a problem when many things have changed)...

I upgraded my Mac Mini server to Mountain Lion and changed my router to a Time Capsule 3TB.

Everything was working fine before (Mac Mini server with Lion and Netgear WNDR3700 router).

Both my Mac Mini and aTV3 are wired to the Time Capsule.

Before upgrading, my aTV3 was really stable. It played everything and found my iTunes library with no problem.

Since the upgrade, every time I come back from work, the aTV cannot find the iTunes library. I have to restart iTunes and everything come back to normal.

Another problem since the upgrade : when my aTV sleep, I cannot wake it up with the Remote app on my iPhone. Also, I do not see it in the Airplay target anymore. Before the update, simply launching the Remote app on the iPhone would start my aTV automatically.
Similar situation...my laptop can AirPlay with my AppleTV3 without issue, but neither my iPhone4S nor iPad3 has ever been able to see the AppleTV3 on the network. Can't AirPlay using either the iPhone or the iPad and the remote app has never worked on either device.

MonkeySee....
Aug 15, 2012, 03:39 AM
I can homeshare on my iPad and iPhone. My ATV2 just won't connect unless I restart iTunes.

Turns out i can't.

The issue is if your hard drive sleeps you can't home share. Wake on network access doesn't seem to kick it back to life.

Hopefully Apple will sort this asap.

P.S how do we report this issue to Apple?

djfjeff
Aug 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Ok, the only thing I changed is that I configured my aTV to never sleep.

The Remote app can always see the aTV (and it's normal as it never sleep) and airplay work correctly.

But the weird thing is, with only that change, now I never need to restart iTunes to make my home sharing work again. Everything is back to normal.

Ideally, I would like to put my aTV back to sleep after 1 hour like it was setup but for now, I will leave it that way.

Dan DRC
Aug 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
Similar situation here also. I switched both of my units to never sleep and the problem is much less severe. I have had only about 5 dropouts in the last 10 or 12 days. I used to have 2 or 3 everyday. I do not have to restart itunes to recover from a dropout anymore I just access "computers" on the ATV and resume the movie that was interrupted and it works fine. Before I would always have to restart itunes.
So the problem is still there just less frequent. It still needs to be addressed but I am much happier about the situation that I was 3 weeks ago.

MonkeySee....
Aug 17, 2012, 04:43 AM
This issue is 100% the hard drive sleeping on the Mac.

Apple TV, iPhone, iPad are unable to wake the hard drive back up again if you try to access your videos etc.

I've done a few tests on this. Watching a vid on my iPad via homesharing, I have my Mac to sleep the drive after 15 mins. Everytime without fail I will lose connection when the drive sleeps and not be able to get it back unless I go and make iTunes, iPhoto or whatever active so that the drive spins up again.

Dan DRC
Aug 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hard drive sleep could be a portion of the problem but not %100
I never had the problem with ATV2 on the same set up, ran perfectly for 6 months then with the introduction of the ATV3 and iTunes updates the problem showed up. With all of the different system configs both hardware and software reporting this problem the one common element is iTunes.
More than likely the problem lies there.

MonkeySee....
Aug 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hard drive sleep could be a portion of the problem but not %100
I never had the problem with ATV2 on the same set up, ran perfectly for 6 months then with the introduction of the ATV3 and iTunes updates the problem showed up. With all of the different system configs both hardware and software reporting this problem the one common element is iTunes.
More than likely the problem lies there.

Its no co-inky dink that I lose homesharing when my hardrive sleeps. Move the curser wakes the screen but you need to activly do something that uses the hard drive for it to kick in eg open a programme.

"Wake for network" doesn't seem to work.

CylonGlitch
Aug 17, 2012, 08:37 AM
This issue is 100% the hard drive sleeping on the Mac.

Not the problem for me, I have hard drive sleeping turned off. But also I have been keeping an open VNC connection to it at all times (doesn't help btw). I can go into iTunes, play music from the server, do lots of things that require the hard drive. No problems. BUT the home share is gone and won't come back. :(

monty77
Aug 17, 2012, 10:45 AM
I've not had my issue in a few days now, did the following:

- Installed Caffeine to keep the Mac Mini awake and network drives connected
- Made both ATV3s WiFi and disabled sleep on both of them

ML seems to have a bug with sleeping which I hope will be fixed in .1 and the ATVs seem to struggle with wired connections - annoying given the trouble I went to in order to get them wired in the first place.

M

Dan DRC
Aug 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Its no co-inky dink that I lose homesharing when my hardrive sleeps. Move the curser wakes the screen but you need to activly do something that uses the hard drive for it to kick in eg open a programme.

"Wake for network" doesn't seem to work.

Never said you were wrong, I left the door open for you just to be nice saying that the hard drive sleep could be a portion of the problem. You were saying %100 of the problem was hard drive sleep. That sounds definitive end of story.
So if I were you I would not sleep the hard drive that would resolve your issue correct? Try it see see what happens. If it works for you then great your problem is resolved.

ascender
Aug 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
This problem is back with a vengeance for me since upgrading to Mountain Lion, seems like the Mac Mini just won't/can't wake-up when required.

Also I've got numerous problems with being unable to play content which required a reboot of iTunes. Very annoying... its these little things that Apple seem to take an age to fix, only to break again within a couple of software updates.

cww
Aug 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
My whole setup, like many others (at a guess), revolves around iTunes. I have my media in iTunes on a Win7 PC, an Apple TV2, iPad 3 and iPhone 4/4S. No device can find the iTunes home share anymore.

My hard drives don't sleep, but the devices can't even see iTunes when I first open it :(

cww
Aug 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
After weeks of not being able to see my home share at all, and my new ATV3 arriving today, I tried this:

Uninstall and reinstall iTunes. If you have Win7, make sure to completely uninstall Bonjour, and confirm you are installing the correct version of iTunes (32 or 64 bit).

Homeshare is now showing, it's only been a few hours though, but fingers crossed! Hopefully it doesn't happen again and require another re-install :|

monty77
Aug 30, 2012, 12:53 AM
I've not had my issue in a few days now, did the following:

- Installed Caffeine to keep the Mac Mini awake and network drives connected
- Made both ATV3s WiFi and disabled sleep on both of them

ML seems to have a bug with sleeping which I hope will be fixed in .1 and the ATVs seem to struggle with wired connections - annoying given the trouble I went to in order to get them wired in the first place.

M

Got cocky last night and turned off caffeine to make the Mini sleep again. Could access the library on the ATVs but nothing played ... looks like even after 10.8.1 network shares aren't mounting again after wake :-/

M

Cell-666
Aug 30, 2012, 02:08 AM
I've been trying to resolve this problem for weeks now. After a crap nights sleep I was sat up looking round the Apple forums when I stumbled across the below thread.

They traced it o the ATV 3 not releasing ports and stopping iTunes from streaming. Simple fix is to take any ATV3 which are on LAN and put them on wi-fi. Nothing more, you don't need to keep them out of sleep mode or fix ips, or mess about with your routers settings.

My iTunes was locked again earlier, I pulled the my ATV3 off LAN and turned wifi on, now without even restarting iTunes on my mac I was able to load all the sharing libraries straight away.

Hope this helps

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18378253#18378253

Dan DRC
Aug 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
Interesting but I have never had my ATV's on LAN, always on Wi-Fi.
I think a lot of others that are having this issue are on Wi-Fi also.
It is worth looking at though for those who are on LAN to see if the severity of the problem decreases by switching to Wi-Fi.

MonkeySee....
Aug 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
I've been trying to resolve this problem for weeks now. After a crap nights sleep I was sat up looking round the Apple forums when I stumbled across the below thread.

They traced it o the ATV 3 not releasing ports and stopping iTunes from streaming. Simple fix is to take any ATV3 which are on LAN and put them on wi-fi. Nothing more, you don't need to keep them out of sleep mode or fix ips, or mess about with your routers settings.

My iTunes was locked again earlier, I pulled the my ATV3 off LAN and turned wifi on, now without even restarting iTunes on my mac I was able to load all the sharing libraries straight away.

Hope this helps

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18378253#18378253

My ATV2 is on Wifi and has always been. I just stop home sharing and re enable it again on the ATV. boring but works.

Cell-666
Aug 30, 2012, 04:08 PM
My ATV2 is on Wifi and has always been. I just stop home sharing and re enable it again on the ATV. boring but works.

Interesting, the plot thickens. Today is the first time I've not had to reboot iTunes since about June.

duncyboy
Aug 31, 2012, 10:31 AM
I've been able to mostly avoid the problem for a while now by setting the ATV to never sleep. My Mac's on 24/7 too.

It's not flawless but on average I'm restarting Home Sharing once a week as opposed to twice a day.

For the record I've had the problems both over wifi and wired connections. I hope the rumours a while back of a complete re-write of iTunes are true.

WoodNUFC
Aug 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
I've been having a lot of issues lately with this, especially when my itunes computer is booted into Win7 instead of Lion. It still happens in Lion, but it usually is resolved by restarting iTunes. NOTHING I've tried has worked with Win7. I may try to delete Bonjour and try again, but at this point I don't know if it's worth trying.

Evangelion
Aug 31, 2012, 12:42 PM
I have this issue as well. It started when I hooked up my ATV3 to my GigE-network, instead of WiFi. Whenever I get back home from work, ATV can't connect to my iTunes-server. Here's the old and new setup:

Old: ATV3 on 802.11n-network that is created by Airport Extreme. Mac mini iTunes-server is connected to the AE with ethernet-cable. Everything works fine.

New: ATV3 is connected to the AE with ethernet-cable. AE is connected through GigE-ethernet to a Zyxel 16-port GigE-switch. Mac Mini is connected to the switch. iTunes-connection drops.

While I have the problem, I can't connect to the server-iTunes with my MBP either. Other network-access (screen-sharing, filesharing etc.) works fine, so I don't think this is a problem with the switch.

I'm now making some changes to my setup, in an attempt to see what change is needed to fix the issue. First steps: I configured the server to never sleep. I also connected the ATV to the switch, instead to AE, which is then connected to the switch. So the only thing standing between AE and the server is the switch.

If this doesn't work, I will configure the ATV to never sleep. If that doesn't work, I will reconfigure it to use Wifi again.

Cell-666
Sep 1, 2012, 04:58 AM
A few days after taking it off LAN I've not had to restart iTunes at all. We have a mixture of devices connecting to but my setup points to the ATV3 as changing it onto wifi is the only thing I have changed.
Also on a plus not the shared libraries, especially the movies library loads so much quicker. We have about 400 movies which was taking maybe a minute to load on a iPad, now with the change it takes about 3 seconds and sometimes almost instant.

MonkeySee....
Sep 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
My Homesharing is working again with the latest OSX update :D

Anyone still having issues?

rayward
Sep 24, 2012, 11:20 AM

Mine has been rock-solid since the update to 10.8.2.

quinto555
Sep 27, 2012, 03:41 PM

Fresh install Mountain Lion then update to 10.8.2 on Mac Mini: Always disconnects:(

mavis
Sep 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Since switching my ATV3 from wifi to wired a few weeks ago, I haven't had to restart iTunes once. Used to be a daily thing.

MonkeySee....
Sep 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
mine is dropping again :(

CylonGlitch
Sep 28, 2012, 07:46 AM
Mine is STILL dropping as well (I'm wired) but I think I can live with it until the next version of iTunes comes out. Hopefully then things will be better. On top of that my ATV1 server is crapping out, time to upgrade to a MacMini I think.

shorn
Oct 31, 2012, 08:34 AM
are people still experiencing this problem?
I was getting this, and switched from wired to Wifi, and it seemed to fix it. Just put in new Cat5e cable to ATV and would like to hook it up, but obviously not if this is still ongoing!

rayward
Oct 31, 2012, 10:49 AM
are people still experiencing this problem?
I was getting this, and switched from wired to Wifi, and it seemed to fix it. Just put in new Cat5e cable to ATV and would like to hook it up, but obviously not if this is still ongoing!

Mine are wired and, since the last software updates to the ATVs and iTunes respectively, have been rock solid. They even stay off when they're supposed to be off.

I do have my "host" machine's CPU set to never sleep. This may also have something to do with it.

MonkeySee....
Oct 31, 2012, 11:10 AM
I think the issue is that the Apple TV is not "waking" the machine hosting the videos.

rayward
Oct 31, 2012, 11:34 AM
I think the issue is that the Apple TV is not "waking" the machine hosting the videos.

I believe (but can't be sure) that the system was stable before I set the CPU to never sleep (which was necessitated by ML's habit of sleeping the CPU even though Handbrake was in the middle of a job).

As I typically have an HB job running most evenings, I'm not in a position to test this out.

greenhorn3
Nov 1, 2012, 05:21 AM
I've been trying desperately to transfer my Itunes library from my Mbp to a new windows computer with an external drive to no avail after I upgraded to Windows 8 so I tried homesharing...it worked for a bit then the windows computer will somehow suddenly restart after going to sleep and Itunes would close all by itself. I've looked all over the forums and have tried something on my own which seems to have worked so far...connect as you normally do to home sharing only in preferences make sure your host computer is set to stay awake do not let it sleep. It has worked for me so far. Good luck :D

WebHead
Nov 1, 2012, 10:38 PM
I was having the problem until I set computer sleep to "never". Otherwise I had to reboot the Apple TV to reconnect.

Must be a Power Nap issue. Hopefully iTunes 11 will fix it.

Fed
Nov 2, 2012, 05:08 AM
I've been using the Apple TV for just under a week now. It's been perfect so far but last night it gave me an error saying it can't find any content in the given library. It was very weird. I skipped around some settings, flicked back and fourth and ultimately decided to sleep the ATV and then turn it back on again. It worked. I can't understand what was wrong before but if I have to do this more than once, it'll get very annoying.

Dan DRC
Nov 2, 2012, 09:29 AM
Since the last ATV software update I have not had a problem with this issue.

saxman211
Nov 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
I don't have apple TV, but homesharing doesn't work on my ipad at all. I think it has something to do with the new iTunes and the OS 6

Deadeyeshark
Nov 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
I was about to give up on home sharing, bought an AirPort Extreme as a last resort and swapped out my old router, now works like a charm.

ViperDesign
Nov 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
I was about to give up on home sharing, bought an AirPort Extreme as a last resort and swapped out my old router, now works like a charm.

Same here. As soon as I put an apple router on, it works every time.

I have tried many different routers and apple is the only one that works without fail.

tibere86
Nov 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
Delete please

aliennerd
Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi, I recently replaced my Apple TV 2 for a 3rd generation model, simple swap out, everything else the same.

I'm now experiencing drop outs while watching films streamed from my iTunes library whereas with the 2nd Gen there was never a problem.

TopKatz
Dec 6, 2012, 08:15 PM
I have had this for a little while now.

I have a 09 iMac, itunes 11, OS X 10.8.2

ATV 2 with latest

Wired network.

If the iMac goes to sleep, the ATV will lose it. Waking the mac usually takes care of it.

There is another issue, where it loses the mac, that some times requires a hard boot of the ATV by unplugging it. I only do this if nothing works on the mac.

WebHead
Dec 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
I'd been hoping iTunes 11 would fix this problem, but it didn't. As noted in another thread, 11.0.1 seems to fix it for one person at least. Can anyone else verify this?

For the record, my ATV 2 couldn't connect to Home Sharing unless I woke up my Mac and restarted the ATV, but it could maintain a connection even if the Mac went to sleep.

Then a power surge bricked by ATV 2 and I had to get an ATV 3, but it couldn't connect, or maintain, a connection if the Mac was asleep.

Hoping iTunes 11.0.1 is the magic bullet ...

Mjpetersen
Apr 6, 2013, 10:21 AM
Go on your Apple TV and set the ip and all network settings to manual. I did this an it fixes the problem . What happens is hole your devise is connected to Apple TV , if the settings are set to automatic, the Apple TV's up changes and yo loose on connection to it so if you set it to manual, you stay connected. I just got an Apple TV a week ago and I did this and now whenever I am connected to wifi, even if my Apple TV is sleeping. I can use home sharing to control it with the remote

GhostMac24
Jul 9, 2013, 10:21 AM
Go on your Apple TV and set the ip and all network settings to manual. I did this an it fixes the problem . What happens is hole your devise is connected to Apple TV , if the settings are set to automatic, the Apple TV's up changes and yo loose on connection to it so if you set it to manual, you stay connected. I just got an Apple TV a week ago and I did this and now whenever I am connected to wifi, even if my Apple TV is sleeping. I can use home sharing to control it with the remote

this.

Rushli0n
Jul 9, 2013, 11:17 AM
I just never shut it off. Supposedly it takes little power anyways. This fixed it for me. :D

KJens
Jul 12, 2013, 04:52 AM
Are you guys talking about Homeshaering of Sony? If so.. How do you guys get that software to work.. (Sorry a littlebit off topic)

institute
Jul 12, 2013, 06:34 AM
They are talking about iTunes Home Sharing with the Apple TV.