PDA

View Full Version : Browser recommendations for the iPad

Batavian
Apr 9, 2012, 06:41 PM
Currently using Dolphin and really like how quick it is. Though I'd like the ability to increase font size (which Dolphin can't do).

Testing Mercury. I can increase fonts. And looks like there is an ad blocker. But its not quite as snappy as Dolphin.

Have heard good things about iCab. But havent spent the money on it. Anyone use it and can comment?

Any comments on these browsers for the iPad, or recommendations for other browsers?

Thanks.

CandyNJ66
Apr 9, 2012, 06:47 PM
Mercury yes, iSwifter (Flash) and Chrome like browser "Diigo browser" :)

dell who?
Apr 9, 2012, 06:48 PM
I've had great luck with Atomic and Skyfire, but I can't answer your specific question about text enlargement. I still use Safari plenty often as I find it to be just as good as any more often than not, but I like the desktop mode options in the two I mentioned among a couple of other tricks they have up their sleeves. Skyfire offers a built-in FLV player to manage most flash-based video you'll encounter, and Atomic allows for the download of just about any file out there so you can move it into a dropbox account. I suppose I'll have to look into Dolphin now too. Seems like you've had great luck with it overall.

Gathomblipoob
Apr 9, 2012, 07:03 PM
I like the iCab mobile browser.

richpjr
Apr 10, 2012, 01:02 AM
I have Atomic and it works fine, but I just end up using Safari most of the time.

tom123
Apr 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
"I have Atomic and it works fine, but I just end up using Safari most of the time."

I like Atomic, but only iCab will download my banks QFX file.
Atomic looks like it's downloading, but only downloads certain normal files.
Atomic has different colors, Mocca nice.

Wish my iPad would show what app is running, but sadly always says iPad in the top left hand corner.

laurenr
Apr 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
Having tried many browsers such as Atomic, Mercury, Diigo, iCab is by far my favorite. It has a unique feature for an IOS Browser, and that is its Modules, one of which allows you to change the text size. This is a screenshot; the order of the modules can be configured in iCab's Options, as well as whether they are enabled or not:

ICab also allows one to upload pictures, as I have just done.:) you can see a few of thise modules in the pic too. Very useful!

jabingla2810
Apr 11, 2012, 10:54 AM
Having tried many browsers such as Atomic, Mercury, Diigo, iCab is by far my favorite. It has a unique feature for an IOS Browser, and that is its Modules, one of which allows you to change the text size. This is a screenshot; the order of the modules can be configured in iCab's Options, as well as whether they are enabled or not:

ICab also allows one to upload pictures, as I have just done.:) you can see a few of thise modules in the pic too. Very useful!

iCab can download Youtube videos?

laurenr
Apr 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
iCab can download Youtube videos?

Most of the time you can download Youtube videos in iCab, but not always. I just chose a short, random video (in .mp4 format) to download. You can select to "display" it (in iCab), or to open it in an external app. You can also save this, or any file you download, to your Dropbox, which is a great feature:

Icab has about 20 Javascrip Modules embedded that gives it many other functions that other IOS browser simply do not have.

tuan time
Apr 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
I mostly use Atomic but after random crashes I'm looking for different options. And in regards to safari, is there way to set safari to not save recent searches without having to clear the history?

nfl46
Apr 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'll be glad when these browsers update to support retina.

Does any support it yet? I don't think the last time I checked.

laurenr
Apr 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'll be glad when these browsers update to support retina.

Does any support it yet? I don't think the last time I checked.

Quote from iCab website:
"iCab Mobile 5.7 released. This update add support for the new iPad 3 and its Retina resolution......."

nfl46
Apr 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
Quote from iCab website:
"iCab Mobile 5.7 released. This update add support for the new iPad 3 and its Retina resolution......."

Nice! I tried iCab on my iPhone. I'm going to check it out for my iPad. Thank you.

Edit: Nevermind, $1.99? :-/ I already know I'll use it for a day or so, then go back to Safari, lol. I'll just keep my little $2 and use that towards Draw Something and another $.99 game.

boltjames
Apr 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
iCab rocks.

BJ

Philthy84
Apr 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Which browser or browsers allows you to swipe to go back and forth on web pages like on Mac OS? Also is there one that's allows me to do the swipe back and forth, play flash and has an ad blocker?

Nightprowler
Apr 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
I bought Atomic and iCab at the same time and initially liked Atomic more, but have now switched exclusively to iCab.

More options for multi touch gestures is a must for me and Atomic just wasn't cutting it.

xraydoc
Apr 11, 2012, 07:19 PM
I typically use Safari but when necessary I'll use iCab.

I can change the user string to emulate other browsers or platforms, I can save downloaded files and upload files, and has some nice gestures/features.

And the latest update adds retina-resolution UI elements.

sers
Apr 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
I like Grazing web browser. Very fast and smooth and allows you to swipe between web pages.

ewo1992
Apr 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
Safari.....

Zetaprime
Apr 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
ICab is by far my favorite. I've used it since it first came out on the iPhone. It comes closest to doing all the things you're used to doing on a desktop.

Markdek
Apr 12, 2012, 12:38 AM
iCab

Batavian
Apr 15, 2012, 06:58 AM
Will have to try iCab. Thanks.

porcupine8
Apr 15, 2012, 07:13 AM

I use Atomic, but this might convince me to switch to iCab! Any clue if its memory usage with multiple tabs is better/worse than Atomic?

Markdek
Apr 15, 2012, 07:22 AM
iCab

Maskusee
Apr 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Been using Duet Browser
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duet-browser/id375777848?mt=8

Been pretty happy with it, has evernote integration, works flawlessly.
Also uses 3 fingers gestures to go back and forth aka safari on mac.

Btw, they have a free, lite version.

laurenr
Apr 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
I use Atomic, but this might convince me to switch to iCab! Any clue if its memory usage with multiple tabs is better/worse than Atomic?

I always have multiple tabs open. iCab rarely closes on me. I also have the Atomic browser, and still far prefer iCab.

nfl46
Apr 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
I bought iCab. I like it a lot. I found $2 in change and said why not. Lol.

jlinear
Apr 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
I use iCab and like it alot. I have the 2-finger tap gesture configured for going to the previous web page - it's much quicker than constantly searching for the back arrow.

smokedog
Apr 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
I like Grazing web browser. Very fast and smooth and allows you to swipe between web pages.

+1

Not prefect and would be nicer if it was faster. But it's unmatched when it comes to gestures and full screen browsering.

Batavian
Apr 15, 2012, 01:49 PM
Dolphin seems fastest to me. But not as many features as iCab.

iMaven
Apr 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
iCab

xak
Apr 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
It seems to me that because of the "closed" nature of iOS and how Safari is built-in, that it may be more optimized in general (i.e. speed (launch and/or load), webpage displaying, integration with other apps, etc.) and thus I have never bothered to seriously use other iOS browsers.

Is this an unfounded belief or can people more familiar with the coding relationship between Safari & other browsers and iOS confirm or deny this? (also, I don't know if this is comparable to using Firefox or Chrome instead of IE on Windows, since Windows has been around a long time and isn't the same as a mobile OS where there is a specific device to optimize for)

donnaw
Apr 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
I use Photon for anything that has Flash. It handles Flash content very well. But the bookmark organization (or lack of) means I don't use it all the time. But my husband visits a lot of forums that have Flash videos and he uses it exclusively.

Maskusee
Apr 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
Is Atomic browser integrated with Evernote?

Tallboy13
Apr 16, 2012, 08:46 PM
how do you enable adblock for iCab

jlinear
Apr 16, 2012, 09:11 PM

Enter iCab settings (gear on toolbar). Edit Filters lists a number of sites that can be blocked including 'Advertising.'

vjacques
Apr 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
why people say browser X is faster for them than browser Y when all of them are Safari wrappers i'm not really sure but iCab offers plenty of features and flexibility, love it.

mcdj
Apr 16, 2012, 11:57 PM
I like iCab, but it almost has too many features, and too many buttons.

I also hate the icon. Something like this maybe...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/479247/icab.png

qtx43
Apr 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
I recently switched to iCab from Atomic, and it's much better, both in number of goodies and how they're implemented. Atomic actually has some problems with links' text not always directing to the correct URL, and the context menu not popping up. Transferring bookmarks, once I realized how to do it, was relatively painless.

iCab is better in pretty much every way. I particularly like the ability to type in the URL and have it match just with your bookmarks (you can also set to match history). Now if it would auto-delete the previous contents when you start typing, that would be even better.

The documentation is lacking, for example it's unclear how the offline mode works, and his faq about offline bookmarks is clearly wrong or outdated. I think it uses the network (even in offline mode) if the page isn't in the cache or if you hit the reload icon. I have had it crash on me while playing around with this on fairly simple websites. Nevertheless this is a nice feature.

I would like to see a javascript off switch but he says he can't implement that because of all the gyrations needed to support other features. Which means he could do it by disabling those other features wuth jscript off, he just doesn't want to. Oh well.

Enter iCab settings (gear on toolbar). Edit Filters lists a number of sites that can be blocked including 'Advertising.'
Actually he asked about enabling it, which is under "General Settings/enable filters".

OutSpoken
Apr 17, 2012, 08:46 AM
Which browser or browsers allows you to swipe to go back and forth on web pages like on Mac OS? Also is there one that's allows me to do the swipe back and forth, play flash and has an ad blocker?

This.

dukeblue91
Apr 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
I love iCab it's the best browser out there.
You can also swipe the pages back and forth.
It has so many features.

Tallboy13
Apr 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Appreciate the help guys

GeneralDisarray
Apr 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
Thank you to those who recommended iCab. I downloaded it last night based on all the love it was getting here and I'm already hooked. I particularly like the Quickstarter feature. It beats leaving tabs open with my favorites in Safari. I look forward to discovering other great features.

whocaresit
Apr 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
Perfect web browser. It's better than every other browser out there.