Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I have narrowed my search for a new receiver to replace my aging Kenwood 2080 to either the Denon 1912 (7 channel) or the Denon 1612 (5 channel).

In addition to being more channels, the 1912 also supports Apple Air Play and has an eithernet port for connecting to my network (no wireless unfortunately).

The 1612 is a very similar reveiver, but only supports 5.1 and no network capability (thus no Air Play). Also it is only 75w per channel versus 90w for the 1912.

My heart says I want the 1912 just becuase it's a bigger, badder receiver with more features, but my head says I really only need the 1612.

Since my new Sony XBR TV has wireless built-in and can access Pandora, etc, and I will have an ATV3 hooked to the set to access iTunes, I'm thinking I really don't have a need for the network/Airplay capability of the 1912. The power issue shouldn't be a huge concern since my setup is just in an average sized living room.

My current speaker set up is a Bose Acoustimass 5.1 system. (Yes, I know Bose are not the best for home theater, but these were a gift and they sound fine for my old ears). So the 1612 will work fine with my current speaker setup, but the 1912 will accomodate 2 additional speakers in case I ever wanted to expand (or create a second "zone"). Also, the 1912 has the AirPlay, but do I really need that capability if I have an ATV3?

I can get the 1612 for just $249, whereas the 1912 will cost about $399 ($150 more).

Decisions decisions!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you can confortable afford the 1912, go for it.

If you are in a budget or there is another "toy" you kind of have your eye on for about $150, then go get the 1612. what you are getting for those $150 is something you are going to use maybe once or twice.... IMO

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I have the 1612 and think it is fine for the average listening room and speakers. More than enough power even with more dynamic speakers than the Bose.

I use a Harmony 1 and an ATV and it is easy to stream to the unit with HDMI cables, which are recommended for all of your hook-ups.

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
I have the Denon 1612 with ATV and am very happy with it, although I just have a sub woofer and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers.

One caution, I had originally thought I would hook up speakers from an older Bose 3-2-1 system to it and found that the bose speakers could only be hooked up to the bose receiver, the attached cables weren't compatible.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have the Denon 1612 with ATV and am very happy with it, although I just have a sub woofer and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers.

One caution, I had originally thought I would hook up speakers from an older Bose 3-2-1 system to it and found that the bose speakers could only be hooked up to the bose receiver, the attached cables weren't compatible.

Bose Speaker are usually non-standard impedance.

Spideytex10

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
I just got the Denon 2112ci and it is fantastic. $450 shipped from electronics expo. You may have to call them or chat to get the price. Just ask for their best price.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I have the AVR-1612 as well, I love it!

I am still trying to figure everything out, I can't seem to get 5.1 output from ATV3. It's stuck on PCM (2.0 CH)

Anyone using same receiver could you tell me how you got it working?

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I have a 1612 and it is great. Tried out a Sony before and the sound was horrible. I believe you can download a remote app for the 1912 that works via wifi that could come in handy with an iPhone or touch. The $150 price difference is pretty steep for options that most don't need or are not a priority. I thought about getting a 1912 but at the time it was just a hair out of my budget and I had an ATV and and Airport Express so I figured the built in airplay was just redundant. 7.1 seems to be overkill to me, and since most audio I don't believe is really separated into separate channels it is not really of great benefit. I'm sure you'll be happy with either unit, but as a previous poster noted, that $150 could be used for a variety of other toys, and would probably be better used that way.

Lazar1389

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
I purchased a 2112ci a few months ago, replacing an older Onkyo and I couldn't be happier. The 1912 is much the same as the 2112, so I'm sure you'll love it.

The improvement in sound quality + all of the connectivity options and features is just iceing on the cake.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I purchased a 2112ci a few months ago, replacing an older Onkyo and I couldn't be happier. The 1912 is much the same as the 2112, so I'm sure you'll love it.

The improvement in sound quality + all of the connectivity options and features is just iceing on the cake.

Im looking forward to it! I haven't seen any reviews so far where the reviewer didn't have good things to say about the sound quality. The only drawback for me is I'm stuck with Bose Acoustimas speakers, which are probably not the best for this receiver. Maybe some day I'll get some decent home theater speakers.

csv

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
can not connect my macbook air to my devon AVR 1612

Please help. I tried connecting a mini from my macbook air to hdmi connection on my devon AVR- 1620. NO video or audio on my samsung hdtv. Any suggestions?

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
You'll be happy with the 1912 but the 1712 would have been a better pick than either due to the better Audysee programming which would result in better sound. I had 1612 and loved it but it died an early death due to a lightning strike, it was replaced with Yamaha I got a screaming deal on. Only said that to say this, you'll likely never use airplay on it. I find myself always using the apple tv due to the on screen prettyness of it compared to the very simple output of the receiver.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Please help. I tried connecting a mini from my macbook air to hdmi connection on my devon AVR- 1620. NO video or audio on my samsung hdtv. Any suggestions?

There should be an HDMI output port on the receiver. Connect the out HDMI port on the receiver to one of the tv's HDMI ports. Select the proper input on the receiver's remote and on the tv and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.