Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayscheuerle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Myriad Genetics Inc. said it has discovered a gene that directly causes human obesity and that it should be relatively easy to develop drugs to combat the condition.

The biotechnology company, based in Salt Lake City, said the gene, HOB1, also appears to provide an important molecular link between obesity and diabetes.

The discovery may be more meaningful than other genes that have been found for obesity because the company has tested the gene not only in animals but also using the genetically close human population of Utah and medical databases.

The company said the structure of the gene makes it amenable to being attacked with a small molecule drug, which means a pill rather than an injection. It may also be easier to develop drugs to compensate for the genetic mutation because the gene is too active rather than not active enough. It is easier to knock out function than to create it.

Nearly one-third of Americans are moderately to severely obese, according to the company.
undefined NEW YORK (Reuters) - Myriad Genetics Inc. said it has discovered a gene that directly causes human obesity and that it should be relatively easy to develop drugs to combat the condition.

The biotechnology company, based in Salt Lake City, said the gene, HOB1, also appears to provide an important molecular link between obesity and diabetes.

The discovery may be more meaningful than other genes that have been found for obesity because the company has tested the gene not only in animals but also using the genetically close human population of Utah and medical databases.

The company said the structure of the gene makes it amenable to being attacked with a small molecule drug, which means a pill rather than an injection. It may also be easier to develop drugs to compensate for the genetic mutation because the gene is too active rather than not active enough. It is easier to knock out function than to create it.

Nearly one-third of Americans are moderately to severely obese, according to the company.

Whew! No more of that silly "Watching what you eat" or "Exercise" stuff. Isn't science great? Who's to bet that though one-third of Americans are obese, less than one in twenty have this gene?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Obesity Gene Found!

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Whew! No more of that silly "Watching what you eat" or "Exercise" stuff. Isn't science great? Who's to bet that though one-third of Americans are obese, less than one in twenty have this gene?

Please, nothing is better than a little excercise to keep the weight down - looking for a defattening pill is just another in a series of products that will end up on the shelves so people can believe that they can eat as much as they want and for it to have no effect on them.

For the true genetically unfortunate, that have very low metabolisms, this might be a good thing, and for fighting diabetes.

D

jayscheuerle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Re: Re: Obesity Gene Found!

Originally posted by dukestreet
looking for a defattening pill is just another in a series of products that will end up on the shelves so people can believe that they can eat as much as they want and for it to have no effect on them.

You mean like those potato chips that made people get the runs and crap their pants? That's just a minor annoyance!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: Obesity Gene Found!

You mean like those potato chips that made people get the runs and crap their pants? That's just a minor annoyance!

Anal leakage is only a minor annoyance if you're already wearing Depends! ;)

But its also all the other items you can find advertised just about everywhere, and the low fat, diet foods. Do some exercise on a regular basis and you'll see a difference.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
The gene is called McDonalds!

Seriously folks, sure is strange that not one of those starving people in Ethopia has this so-called gene...

Blaming fat of genetics is as silly as blaming Columbine on Doom.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And lets not let this continue the trend of the other Obese thread and require it to be closed down......

D

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by irmongoose
Gawd, this is sick. We're just becoming sick pill people.. ugh.

Why can't you just 'not eat too much' or excercise?? Oh no, not EXCERCISE :eek: .... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

irmongoose

Get back to me in ten years when your metabolism slows down and you have to work--I mean really work--to keep those love handles off.

While, I do agree that pills don't treat everything, some people do have problems with weight gain, even when they are trying to lose weight very hard.

Its not so easy as saying, this is sick.

Taft

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Halalaleeeuuuaaa thank, Holy God and all is good, They have exercised the Demon(In a sarcastic Jim Carrey Voice as from Pet Detective). Or should I say they exercised the Gene.

To all the obese people of the world get off your ass and quit blaming the problem on a gene, McDonalds, your parents, or society. By doing that you have no control over the problem you are in a sense saying that the problem is with someone or something else and they need to change not you. That is total and utter nonsense. You need to get off your ass and do something. Eat less exercise more exercise more exercise more.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by Taft

Get back to me in ten years when your metabolism slows down and you have to work--I mean really work--to keep those love handles off.

While, I do agree that pills don't treat everything, some people do have problems with weight gain, even when they are trying to lose weight very hard.

Taft

Okay, you have a point, but I wasn't only referring to this particular pill. We have pills for almost ANYTHING now.. I mean.. we're becoming DRUG people. There's even a pill to ease your anger for god's sake. This is crazy. We're just going to become drug-dependant people... and some people already are.

irmongoose

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Taft

Taft

I have yet to meet someone in there 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s at the gym I go to that could not loose the weight through proper diet and exercise. Some of these people were very large. We have had people loose over 300lbs.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, just eating less & exercise is what is needed! Exercise by walking 30 minutes a day, can be done also with 10 minutes 3/day! :)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
The title of this thread should be changed to: "The obvious observations of thin people."

1. Fat people should watch what they eat (no ****?)
2. Fat people need to exercise more (you don't say..)
3. Americans (a certain percentage at least) find popping a pill is an easier "solution"

Obesity in this country has become social problem. Parents think their son is depressed, he must need medication - (and sure, some depression needs medication - the diabetic simile is true) but the large percentage do not need pills. I've taken zoloft, and a few other meds, but you know what really did the trick for my teenage manic-behavior -THE HIGHSCHOOL TRACK TEAM.

I'm disgusted by the American mindset and I'm not sure how we got here, and while there are people out there who are genetically prone to being over-weight and who are at SERIOUS health risk because of it, this news comes to many as a "solution" - to loosen their morality as they tighten their belts. :mad:

jayscheuerle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
They're talking gene therapy here!

This isn't just some pill that's going to make all overweight people thinner. It appears to be for people with a particular genetic sequence that makes them obese. Who knows if it's a metabolic condition or a digestive problem? It's going to be a shock to the 99% of people who try to get prescribed this pill when they find out that they don't have this condition and the pill won't help them a bit.

On a nasty note, if overdosing is a problem, you can bet they won't make these pills chocolate flavored chewables...:D

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Maybe for the airline's overweight patrons they'll replace the complimentary bag of peanuts with a couple tablets of these... :p

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
With the current research being done, and findings like these, it's only a matter of time until we start removing these genes in babies.

"You are the authority on what is not possible, aren't you Irene? They've got you looking for any flaw, that after a while that's all you see! For what it's worth, I'm here to tell you that it is possible. It is possible."
"There's no gene for fate."
"He had everything except desire."
"They used to say that a child conceived in love has a greater chance of happiness. They don't say that anymore."

dreamlance

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2002
wouldn't you like to know?
Heck if they can figure out how to curb diabetes through this, that's great. Even putting a hold on genetic obesity would be wonderful too but it may end up like Ritalin is to some people, a so-called solution when other roads need to be taken. I know that meal servings in the US are three times more than what they were about 50 years ago. Everyone doing a little more exercise couldn't hurt at all.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

Except that the obesity gene is not a widespread problem. If they could remove the Lazyass gene, the Scapegoat gene and the Whiner gene... not THAT would be progress!:eek:

Good point, goes right up there with the Stupid gene, Redneck gene, and Geek gene.....my point is that there are somethings better left alone. Unfortunately, someone will always do what really isn't good for them and then everyone follows. This is what's going to happen with cloning.

D

jayscheuerle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Originally posted by dukestreet
... there are somethings better left alone.
If we didn't learn that with the Atom Bomb, we're never going to learn it. Curiosity, even the reckless kind, is part of human nature. We are doomed to making big mistakes in order to learn from them only after it is "too late" for those affected. You'll get your hideously deformed clones brought to term. You'll even get those that look fine at birth, but turn into little old men by age 5. We can't even IMAGINE the trouble we're going to get into, so that's why we have to find out. We're wise enough to know that we're going to screw up, but powerless to deflect the human condition. Both sad and scary. Fate without the Tarot cards... - j

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
Sounds like another excuse obese people can use to justify their weight. Ask them, "Why are you fat?", and they'll answer a: "society made me fat", or b: "it's in the genes man". What we need to do is stop trying to take the easy way out, and start taking action. (Yes, that means exercise)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
We have become a society in whiners, to blame everyone else, need to take personal responsibility again.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by wdlove
We have become a society in whiners, to blame everyone else, need to take personal responsibility again.

At least it's not me saying it this time, weight is only ONE symptom of a national lack of responsibility, it's always easier to blame others than step up to the plate and take responsibility for your actions.

Everybody seems to be a victim, including the criminals ...

Why take responsibility, when you can sit there and suffer and hope the drug companies make a pill to solve your problem.

If the pill alters your psyche, and you wipe out a family, you can always sue the drug company for billions for not printing the alchohol warning big enough. :rolleyes:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
What is the link to this news article? I want to email it to all my fat friends...
I have found links, but many make this discovery seem like old news (they were published 1999) Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.