PDA

View Full Version : Huge eMac Project

ppcg4mac
Apr 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have no idea where to post this, as it contains so many elements. I have decided to post it here because it started life as an eMac.

I will be getting a job this summer and purchasing a MBP (my first new computer). I have a old eMac case lying around, and have gotten the idea to turn it into a sort of modern DuoDock. I was wondering if some of my fellow MR posters have some advice or know where i could get some things for free/really cheap.

In order to make this "eDock" i will need:

a 16 or 17 inch lcd (VGA or DVI)
7 port USB hub
Sugru
USB extension cords (at least 2 feet long)
1 Ethernet male/ female (similar to the MBA one, but instead of a USB, it just extends the ethernet plug.)
FW800 to 2 FW 400
1 audio male/female
2 SATA/ PATA USB drive adapters
Speakers/ stereo audio splitter
Microphone
piano hinge and some kind of latch
a magsafe
and a surge protector to plug it all into.

wrinkster22
Apr 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hey,
That sounds like a cool project!
Check out deal extreme, they have some of the things you need. Also check out amazon on craigslist. CL may have so free things for you to pic up!
Are you going to post pictures and plans?

If you want to go all out, buy a thunderbolt dock (whenever they come out) and put that into the emac.

Random:
Why do you need the hinge?
How are you going to manage all those cables?
Measure the screen perfectly so you don't get the wrong size. (Also how are you going to bind the display to the cut out of the eMac?)

ppcg4mac
Apr 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hey,
That sounds like a cool project!
Check out deal extreme, they have some of the things you need. Also check out amazon on craigslist. CL may have so free things for you to pic up!
Are you going to post pictures and plans?

If you want to go all out, buy a thunderbolt dock (whenever they come out) and put that into the emac.

Random:
Why do you need the hinge?
How are you going to manage all those cables?
Measure the screen perfectly so you don't get the wrong size. (Also how are you going to bind the display to the cut out of the eMac?)

The hinge is to swing open the front to remove and replace the MBP.
Most of the cables will be either taped or sugrued down. My plan is to make the ports as similar to the original emacs (i have the port cover). As for the screen, I have seen how someone did it a while back, i will find that again later today.

I am currently searching CL while fourm spy is open.

Yes, when i get my camera working again i will post some pics.