Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladiebla2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Hi, recently i had my own apple iphone app developed, works fine, only 1 thing:

Apple refused it, becuase it looks too much like 1 of their products.
This sucks obv, is their another way to do this? What if I give the APP another name? will they allow it?

any tips are welcome..

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Read the app store review guidelines. They don't generally allow anything that replaces one of the standard iOS apps/functions unless it's sufficiently different, and they generally don't allow anything that comes anywhere near to putting a toe on their names, logos, trademarks etc.

You need to make your app sufficiently different from apple's, both in terms of name and functionality.

bladiebla2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
its my company name which looks like the name of an apple product.

What about bringing it to the app store with another name? would apple allow this?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
its my company name which looks like the name of an apple product.

What's your company name? And what is your app's name?

Are you saying your app name is the same as your company name?

If so, renaming your app is not going to avoid conflict with Apple's trademark. And changing your company name is a much harder process.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I'd tread carefully with it. Apple don't like anyone 'abusing' their trademarks, and might take issue with your company name next rather than just the app.

bladiebla2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
no the function is not like an apple app. Its an e-commerce site/app.
Our company name looks like an apple product, but we exist already a long time, long time before the apple product existed.. and our name is registered.

But will changing the name of the app allow it to go to the apple store?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If you refrain from answering direct, specific questions, I'm afraid I can be of no further help. As they say on 'Dragon's Den' / 'Shark Tank': "I'm out!"

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
no the function is not like an apple app. Its an e-commerce site/app.
Our company name looks like an apple product, but we exist already a long time, long time before the apple product existed.. and our name is registered.

But will changing the name of the app allow it to go to the apple store?

I'm guessing then that the app name is extremely similar to an apple trademark because it's basically the same as your company name? If so I reckon you have 2 options:

1. Appeal the app rejection. They have an appeals board that will review it, but it'll take time and there's no guarantees. If you can make the case that the name is "right" for the app, and that it's not the same as their product and won't confuse apple's customers, and that it's obvious your app is nothing to do with that product you might succeed.

2. Change the app name to either something else entirely, or make it very clear that it's your company and not apple's product. Changing it entirely would be the best option.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Hi, recently i had my own apple iphone app developed, works fine, only 1 thing:

Apple refused it, becuase it looks too much like 1 of their products.
This sucks obv, is their another way to do this? What if I give the APP another name? will they allow it?

any tips are welcome..

Well, if it's an e-commerce app/site, then then there's not a problem with the function of the app (unless it's for the App Store or Apple Store). Then OBVIOUSLY it's the name.

In that case, just change it! If they rejected it based solely on the name, then that's all you have to do. If you're not going to tell us the name of your company, then you're just going to have to figure this out on your own.

susanjf90

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
They don't generally allow anything that replaces one of the standard iOS apps/functions unless it's sufficiently different,

bladiebla2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
thanks for the answers, psonice and rolandnights

i will first appeal, and if that doesnt work i will change the name.

if it worked out, i will tell the name :) thx

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
thanks for the answers, psonice and rolandnights

i will first appeal, and if that doesnt work i will change the name.

if it worked out, i will tell the name :) thx

is it:

Wompass?
Macetime?
iRod?
iTooks?

The masses are dying to know :D

bladiebla2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
And if we do option 2, changing the app name:

do we have to change all the parts where we use our company name? our logo new? our email address new? basically all the parts where we use our name? :apple:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
1) Why don't you tell us your company name??????? We could help you (and we won't charge naming rights).
2) Your App name doesn't have to be your company name. How about an acronym, a synonym, or some cute "mascot" name from left field?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.