PDA

View Full Version : Chance to buy a Dual 1.8GHz Powermac G5 for $100, worth it?

matthunter3
Apr 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
As the title says, is it worth buying a Powermac G5 from June 2004 at that price? I'd be more interested in resale value, so do you think I could get more than the $100 I paid for it?

MAC MAN JW
Apr 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
As the title says, is it worth buying a Powermac G5 from June 2004 at that price? I'd be more interested in resale value, so do you think I could get more than the $100 I paid for it?

That is a good price if you wanted to keep the G5, But if you are going to try to resell it you wont get much more out of it a less it has alot of upgrades:)

tayloralmond
Apr 11, 2012, 04:22 PM

Depending on the other specs in the G5, you could easily make $100 on it. How much RAM is in it and what GPU does it have?

EDIT: Someone said this above :)

G51989
Apr 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Go for it! I got my Dual 1.8gzh G5 with 8 gigs of ram for 50 bucks ( steal ). Its not my main machine/to slow/no compatibility. But Its a pretty awesome legacy gaming box, and I love using OSX

matthunter3
Apr 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'd purely be looking at flipping this - as far as I know it is all stock, and I already have a 2010 Unibody Macbook Pro so it's not my first mac by any means. The reason why I have this deal is because I just bought a Quicksilver for $40 (using it as a case for my hackintosh) and she offered me the G5 and the quicksilver for $140. I've looked on ebay but i'm not 100% on the market.

MAC MAN JW
Apr 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'd purely be looking at flipping this - as far as I know it is all stock, and I already have a 2010 Unibody Macbook Pro so it's not my first mac by any means. The reason why I have this deal is because I just bought a Quicksilver for $40 (using it as a case for my hackintosh) and she offered me the G5 and the quicksilver for $140. I've looked on ebay but i'm not 100% on the market.

If it is all stock i don't think you will make that much on it. There is a Dual 2GHz G5 with 250GB HD and 2 GB Ram on my local Craigslist for $200 and it has been reposted 3 months in a row and it is still not sold. Last summer i tryed to sell my Dual 1.8GHz G5 With 2GB Ram and bent feet (Was going to buy a MacBook But got one as a B-Day Gift so i did not sell the G5 at the end) for $100 and had lots of hits on it. If you find out the Ram,Video card,or HD has been upgraded it will be worth the $100 and depending wear you are you may double your money:) Here are some G5's that sold on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sadis=200&_ipg=50&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sacat=111418&_samihi=&_samilow=&Processor%2520Type=PowerPC%2520G5&_fpos=&_udhi=&_oexkw=&_udlo=&_adv=1&_sop=12&Product%2520Family=PowerMac&_nkw=apple+desktop&LH_Complete=1&_dmd=1&_okw=&_fsct=&rt=nc&_dmpt=Apple_Desktops&Processor%2520Speed=1%252E5%2520GHz%2520or%2520more

cocacolakid
Apr 11, 2012, 08:40 PM

What part of the country are you in? G5 prices can vary quite a bit depending on where you are. In the Chicago area where I am, $100 for a G5 dual 1.8 is a decent deal but if one is patient they come up on Craigslist for that price every few weeks. $150 or so is more around the 'regular' price that I notice most often for that model on CL.

If it were me and I were only buying it to flip it, I would pass on the $100 price. Not much room to make a profit that's worthwhile, at least near me.

VanneDC
Apr 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
dual 1.8ghz G5 box for $100 is pretty darn good if you ask me. worthwile just for the case. at any rate, i owned one for 2 years and loved it. it was great for ppc gaming (x800xt) in it. and fine for doing day to day nerd stuff.

I now only have a 2.3 dual G5 as my only PPC box in the house and find it i the same relative terms of speed, but its a hell ova lot noiser with wind tunnel sound.

I really enjoyed my 1.8 DP PM, but if your looking to sell it on and not use it, dont bother.

cheers