Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Well I can't believe I've got my old 2007 mini working okay again. I was having a lot of kernel panics. At first, I thought it was Lion related but after re-installing SL, I was still getting them. I started looking at the panic reports and they all talked about page faults plus seemed to happen mainly during high memory tasks, like streaming videos, etc. Well I had previously installed some old third party memory. I took the mini apart several times reseating the memory, etc. Finally I went back and just installed my OEM Apple memory. Problem fixed. No more kernel panics. But not the end of the story (unfortunately). During one of the many times I took the mini apart, I broke the famous fan heat sensor wire. So all of a sudden my mini was running the fan at hight speed constantly. So I installed smcFanControl and used it to lower the max fan speed (you have to do this through a command line entry). So now my fan noise is a lot quieter. I also run the app to monitor my temps. Fan speed seems to be running around 2100rpm's and my temps are in the 40C range. Since basically all I use the mini for now (since I went out and bought a new mini, when I thought this one was dead) is to browse the web and email, I can live with manually setting the fan speed, for the little bit I use it.

So that's my story. I think I have definitely got my money's worth with this mini.

Snips

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Suffolk, UK
Good to hear that some educated guesses got your mini going again.

I like the image of a beaten up Mac mini soldiering on and refusing to die.

As a Doctor Who fan, that reminds me of the TARDIS... working just enough to move on to your next adventure :) If you don't watch Doctor Who, well, never mind ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.