Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aceweil

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
So I figured i'm not the first person who was curious about this and wondered if anyone had given it a shot. SOOOO>>>>
I have the belkin snap shield secure ipad2 model and love the magnetic back that is a part of this model and was so useful on my earlier iPad. Additionally, I have a really functional (and cheap) iPad 3 clear plastic backing on my iPad 3 that fits perfectly but unfortunately does not include this clever and functional steel strip. So.,... My question is wether anyone has tried to remove this strip from the prior model, or even more impressively incorporated a strip of similar function onto a properly fitting iPad 3 case. I would love to hear if anyone has given this a shot, and if so...any thoughts??
Thanks y'all! This community is an essential component to owning an iPad if you ask me!:)
A

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
So I figured i'm not the first person who was curious about this and wondered if anyone had given it a shot. SOOOO>>>>
I have the belkin snap shield secure ipad2 model and love the magnetic back that is a part of this model and was so useful on my earlier iPad. Additionally, I have a really functional (and cheap) iPad 3 clear plastic backing on my iPad 3 that fits perfectly but unfortunately does not include this clever and functional steel strip. So.,... My question is wether anyone has tried to remove this strip from the prior model, or even more impressively incorporated a strip of similar function onto a properly fitting iPad 3 case. I would love to hear if anyone has given this a shot, and if so...any thoughts??
Thanks y'all! This community is an essential component to owning an iPad if you ask me!:)
A

I've had an idea to glue some tiny rare earth magnets on the back of a case but haven't done so yet. Will be interested to see replies to this thread.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I've had an idea to glue some tiny rare earth magnets on the back of a case but haven't done so yet. Will be interested to see replies to this thread.

AFAIK, the Smart Cover is already magnetic, so you only need something ferrous back there.

3M magnet tape has been mentioned in other threads, though any info I can find on it says it's minimum thickness of ~.9mm. That's actually pretty thick to try to flush-mount.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
AFAIK, the Smart Cover is already magnetic, so you only need something ferrous back there.

3M magnet tape has been mentioned in other threads, though any info I can find on it says it's minimum thickness of ~.9mm. That's actually pretty thick to try to flush-mount.

I won't use the :apple: smart cover but do use other cases with smart covers. Magnets don't seem to be strong enough to hold very well. I tried 3M magnet tape but apparently I got the weak stuff because it will only hold a picture on the fridge at the absolute most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.