Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vernod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

I just entered my iMac UUID at flashbackcheck.com and it said my computer was not infected. It said my Java version was vulnerable and to check software update.

Well, I updated my software and checked the history and there is no log of any Java update for the last few months. I am running OS X Lion 10.7.3. Shouldn't there be an update?

Also, I am worried about having given my UUID on that website. Is it safe to give the UUID or can someone use it in a wrong way? After doing a whois on the website, it does not even say it is registered to Kaspersky, which seems a little fishy.

What should I do now that I have given my UUID away? I don't even know what it is or why its important!

Thx

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Most likely you don't even have Java installed on your system. Java is not installed by default in Lion and that is most likely why no update shows in Software Update.

Also you cannot download Java for OS X from anyone except Apple, either through Software Update or on Apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.