Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The first is a Macintosh Color Classic. An all in one computer. They're actually a bit hard to find these days, $100 (USD) is around what I see them starting at. I have two of them and I love them. They're quite the collector's item and can go for a few hundred dollars (again USD), but who knows exactly what they're going for now. Depends on the buyer.

The second is an iMac G3 from the year 2000. Much more common, and cheaper to find since everyone had these models and since they can't run the new OS people are giving them away. Especially due to their big CRT screen.

bazzaric

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
The first is a Macintosh Color Classic. An all in one computer. They're actually a bit hard to find these days, $100 (USD) is around what I see them starting at. I have two of them and I love them. They're quite the collector's item and can go for a few hundred dollars (again USD), but who knows exactly what they're going for now. Depends on the buyer.

The second is an iMac G3 from the year 2000. Much more common, and cheaper to find since everyone had these models and since they can't run the new OS people are giving them away. Especially due to their big CRT screen.

Excellent Feedback, thank you very much.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
If you ever see a color classic again, jump on it for a low price! As mentioned, they're a unique piece of history.

..and granted the iMac G3s are crazy common, however I've got a feeling the day will come when they're like the color classic, ie. value up for the pristine unites as the number of working / good cosmetic condition units goes down --- remember, it's the computer that literally saved Apple!

Side note, I've got a color classic that I managed to get ahold of a few years back for $40 when $100 was the top selling price. . . It's a really cool little machine, especially when you consider the history of the unit :)

Oh, second side note... I know that the iBook G3 lime units were pretty uncommon if you ever see one of those in really good condition.. but I haven't looked them up in a while, so I could be crazy.

rossmosis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Yeah the 466mhz lime clamshells are very expensive for what they are. They consistently sell for $200+, I've seen one go for over $400 recently on the 'bay! I recently bought one and the color is quite breathtaking, the pictures online don't give how intense it is justice. It's still a pretty usable machine, the only clamshell that can officially run Tiger and has FireWire. Graphite ones go for significantly less. Crazy how the color determines whether a 12 year old laptop sells for $100 or $400! Like the Color Classic, if you see one for a good price, buy it!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the 466mhz models were only sold online, which only contributes further to the rarity.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Yeah the 466mhz lime clamshells are very expensive for what they are. They consistently sell for $200+, I've seen one go for over $400 recently on the 'bay! I recently bought one and the color is quite breathtaking, the pictures online don't give how intense it is justice. It's still a pretty usable machine, the only clamshell that can officially run Tiger and has FireWire. Graphite ones go for significantly less. Crazy how the color determines whether a 12 year old laptop sells for $100 or $400! Like the Color Classic, if you see one for a good price, buy it!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the 466mhz models were only sold online, which only contributes further to the rarity.

Yup, I've seen one Key-Lime in person, and can vouch for it's breathtaking shock of color.

The 466Mhz was available at dealers as M7720LL/A—Graphite, but ONLY in a Graphite. Both the 366Mhz & 466Mhz in Key-Lime were online AppleStore only.

See the "Configurations" near the bottom of this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/200011101017/http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

In fact, the Graphite 466Mhz is the one I have in my sig. :)

rossmosis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Nice! The 466 Key Lime is what I'm typing this on right now while I should be paying attention in class :cool:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Nice! The 466 Key Lime is what I'm typing this on right now while I should be paying attention in class :cool:

I'm lucky enough to have a 466 / DVD / FireWire Lime iBook... (hence my username) :p And yes, they were only available via custom order on Apple's website. Mine isn't in the best condition these days, but I have a 366 model which is pretty great. It's only missing 2 keyboard keys and the CD tray has popped off (I'll have to glue it)... I still love the color of these things though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.