Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobgorila

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
I want to use my ATV2 as an airplay speaker destination when my TV set isn't turned on.

I'm thinking either a set of speakers with optical audio to plug straight into the Apple TV, or a sound bar that uses HDMI.

Problem is, search is proving fruitless. Googling for "hdmi soundbar" shows up an outstanding number of products that not only don't have HDMI, but the string "HDMI" doesn't even appear on the page. Good job google!

So I figured I'd come straight to some experts. Hi experts, got any recommendations?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I just have my aTV3(and previously, my aTV2) plugged into my receiver via the optical cable and into my HDTV with the hdmi cable. My HDTV then has its own cable to the reciever.

When I watch tv I turn my reciever onto "video 1" which is what the input from the TV is mapped to. When I just want to listen to music, I turn the reciever to "aux 1" which is what I have that optical input tied to.

bobgorila

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, I don't have a receiver, just a cheap 42" panel

(like, really cheap - it has a broken tuner so I got it for £250).

The sole input for this thing is my ATV3. No games console, no DVD, no Roku. Keeping it simple.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The only option I can think of is an inexpensive receiver and a pair of speakers. Maybe a set of powered speakers with an optical input exists, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

*edit*

So I came across a couple options:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045U9PFW?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=at055-20

http://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S330D-Multimedia-Speaker-Black/dp/B002BA5JLW/ref=pd_cp_e_0

They're both pretty expensive. You may be able to piece together a system for less if you pick up a used receiver and some speakers.

Last edited:

russell2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
I use a Samsung soundbar HW-D450

There is also a HW-D550 and HW-D551

I have mine set to auto power on so when airplay starts pushing sound it automatically comes on but the last two one or both have
HDMI the model I have only hasm2 optical ports paid around $250

http://goo.gl/EZyuF

http://goo.gl/tjdwo

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-...KP8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334462900&sr=8-1

For $28 you can hook this up with any regular speakers via standard RCA/3.5mm connectors. Now praise me as your god.

Not to be the elitist guy but if he's going a DAC route he may as well get something better. I realize he wants cheap... but having speakers that natively take optical/digital input aren't cheap. (Good) receivers aren't cheap. Your linked DAC, though cheap, likely has horrible audio fidelity.

I would say go for SuperPro DAC707 for decent quality for cheap. You can then pick whatever speakers you'd like to hook up to it. I would recommend using Swan M10s or Klipsch Promedia 2.1s... both are fairly cheap but sound good. Total cost to you would be in the $250 range and you wouldn't get crap quality.

If you pick the Promedia 2.1s from the Klipsch website you can also get the wireless variant as well-- in addition to the usual analog input you can also use a USB stick to essentially "airplay" to the speakers as well. It's supposed to work decently well.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Its fidelity should be at least that of the ATV's; Fiio is a respected budget audiophile brand. Like you said, he wants cheap. One of us gave him a great recommendation; the other person decided to disregard the original pleas for help and make an obscene suggestion. Which one are you?

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Its fidelity should be at least that of the ATV's; Fiio is a respected budget audiophile brand. Like you said, he wants cheap. One of us gave him a great recommendation; the other person decided to disregard the original pleas for help and make an obscene suggestion. Which one are you?

$250 is hardly an obscene suggestion. Get off your high horse with the thou is holier point of view. Your comment earlier ("now praise me as your god") is indicative enough. Also, you pay for what you get ala this. Not saying that WM8805 is bad, because its not, but CS and BB are preferred to some. Anyways, I suggested my option since it gives some headroom and decent audio both DAC and speaker wise for a fairly low budget.

Whatever gets you off though I suppose.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
I wear Glory and Honor like fine garments. Wisdom and Understanding are mine alone.

A man with keen perspective will recognize his rightful place above others. Please, let us agree that you are being quite foolish in your statements. Go read some philosophy or take a course in electrical engineering, perhaps; then you may return here and contribute to a community of peers. Thank you.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
There's plenty of sound bar options, anywhere from 99+, that take an optical input. If you don't want to go the receiver route a decent sound bar is a win-win.

Lets you play music from the ATV while the TV is off and when watching movies or tv the sound bar can significantly improve your HT experience over built in speakers. Consider one w/ a subwoofer to get the most out of your HT upgrade. :)

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
A man with keen perspective will recognize his rightful place above others. Please, let us agree that you are being quite foolish in your statements. Go read some philosophy or take a course in electrical engineering, perhaps; then you may return here and contribute to a community of peers. Thank you.

Perhaps you should take some of your clairvoyant advice and recognize your place among others. Also, philosophy has nothing to do with electrical engineering. That said, if you are so adept at electrical engineering, you might as well explain why a WM8805 is better than a CS8416, and why your opinion, which runs counter to many in this area, is better.

Back on topic, I would still recommend getting a DAC and then speakers. While I disagree with certain peoples choices, overall a DAC would provide more flexibility should you decide to upgrade your speakers to something better in the future.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Surely, I am the greatest man.

I may not be an electrical engineer, but I am a thinker. When putting together a sound system, one should consider the Pyramid of the P's:

Persistance -- This should persist throughout the ages.

Perspicacity -- Because how can you feel the music if your system can't?

Persnickety -- It's always in the details, man.

When we Presume, we create certainty, and therein lies the Music. Thanks.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I'd recommend you a set of used Logitech Z5500. 5.1 audio with a massive sub, included dolby digital/dts receiver via optical/coax Digital Audio in. It would run you about $150 and that's a fair bang for the buck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.