Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
So, is it for people with many macs?

In essence Lion Server is for administering multiple computers, much like Windows Server.

Most of the features in the server versions of Lion would be needless for the average home user, even one with multiple computers.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
As we have iCloud and AirDrop, OSX Server really doesn't help any consumer out there with less than 10 Macs. But it's handy for small to medium businesses and schools (I guess - never saw it in schools though).

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
As we have iCloud and AirDrop, OSX Server really doesn't help any consumer out there with less than 10 Macs. But it's handy for small to medium businesses and schools (I guess - never saw it in schools though).

I disagree with this. Now that Apple is including iOS devices in their Mac server software, it can be very handy for families with multiple macs and iOS devices. For example, I can keep backups of all of my iOS devices and Macs on my server. I can keep one place for all of our contacts and push them out to all computers and iOS devices. The list goes on and on. To say you need more than 10 macs before it is useful means you don't know what it can do.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
That was just an example. However, I still think most users are good with iCloud. It can make Backups of all your iOS-devices, it can sync your contacts between all your Macs and iOS-devices and so on. Not much usage for OSX Server. However, the Server software now is extremely cheap, so I won't stop anybody to try it out.

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
I was thinking about getting Lion server because Lion can't be run in a VitualBox VM but Lion Server can, at least according to the VB instructions.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I was thinking about getting Lion server because Lion can't be run in a VitualBox VM but Lion Server can, at least according to the VB instructions.

I don't know about VirtualBox with Lion, but the server restriction for VMware doesn't apply to Lion. Leopard and Snow Leopard were server-only, but the latest version of VMWare supports Lion without the server package (it's not a separate OS anymore, just a set of addons). Maybe VirtualBox just hasn't updated their Wiki?

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Is it possible to install standard Lion on the server mac mini?

I would buy it purely for the power/spec and use it as a normal mac.

colinwil

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Reading, UK
You can uninstall the server features then it will act just like a normal client.

You can do it the other way round too. So you can buy the cheapest Mac Mini, and install Lion server on it. It's ideal if you want to provide central, always on Print, Scanner, iTunes Airplay, Media, Calendar and Time Machine to your household of macs.

You don't even need a screen or keyboard attached. Simply control it with Apple remote desktop

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
You can do it the other way round too. So you can buy the cheapest Mac Mini, and install Lion server on it. It's ideal if you want to provide central, always on Print, Scanner, iTunes Airplay, Media, Calendar and Time Machine to your household of macs.

You don't even need a screen or keyboard attached. Simply control it with Apple remote desktop

ooh I didn't know this.

How easy is it to setup time machine?

colinwil

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Reading, UK
ooh I didn't know this.

How easy is it to setup time machine?

It's suprisingly easy. I did it last night on my new Mac Mini with Lion Server - all went smoothly.

1. Go to the Server application on your Mac Mini with Lion Server, and enable Time Machine.

It will ask you for the volume name you want to use for backups. I'd already created a partition on a firewire-connected HD for this.

It will turn on file sharing on your server automatically (if it's not already turned on). It then creates a folder on the volume called Backups, set up with the right permissions etc

2. Go into Time Machine preferences on one of your Macs, go into the 'Select Disk' thing, and you'll see something like 'Colin's Mac Mini - Backups'. Select it. It asks for a username & password. Type them in.

3. Repeat on your other Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.