PDA

View Full Version : Low Density RAM?

gryffinwings
Apr 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Is there an easy was to tell if your looking at low density RAM or high density RAM? I noticed on ebay that all the high density sticks had smaller chips. All the ones labeled low density we actually the larger chips on the RAM sticks. Is this actually how you identify RAM as low and high density?

tayloralmond
Apr 15, 2012, 08:00 PM
Is there an easy was to tell if your looking at low density RAM or high density RAM? I noticed on ebay that all the high density sticks had smaller chips. All the ones labeled low density we actually the larger chips on the RAM sticks. Is this actually how you identify RAM as low and high density?

I'm not good at eye-balling RAM, but unless it's a significantly cheaper option, I'd just stick with NewEgg or Crucial...that way you know what you're getting. I realize this doesn't answer your question...just thought I'd mention that.

gryffinwings
Apr 15, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm not good at eye-balling RAM, but unless it's a significantly cheaper option, I'd just stick with NewEgg or Crucial...that way you know what you're getting. I realize this doesn't answer your question...just thought I'd mention that.

I understand that you may know this about most computer people, but telling me about crucial or newegg is akin to beating a dead horse. Not trying to offend, just saying.

tayloralmond
Apr 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
I understand that you may know this about most computer people, but telling me about crucial or newegg is akin to beating a dead horse. Not trying to offend, just saying.

No offense taken. I wasn't trying to introduce you to those websites, just saying that I prefer buying my RAM from those companies because I can be confident that it's what I need.

throAU
Apr 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
google the part number on the chips and you should be able to find out what size they are.

edit:
standard ebay buyer beware stuff applies. if you get no warranty, I'd buy elsewhere. its not like ram is currently expensive.