Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuMagoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
So this incident started yesterday when I used time machine to reset my computer and when it was copying the old desktop to the new one, I canceled the action as I realized restoring wasn't going to fix my (other) problem. But now I have a new problem:

1.) I can't put anything on the desktop without getting this: "The item “xxxxxx” can’t be moved because “Desktop” can’t be modified." It gives me the option to authenticate.

2.) Right after I authenticate this action, it gives me this: "You can put items into “Desktop”, but you won’t be able to see them. Do you want to continue?" I looked at the "Get info" page to see if the permissions were amiss, but they are correct. I also repaired permissions for the disk. Problem still exists.

3.) So I try to time machine again without stopping the process. Now it says, "Do you want to replace your current copy of “Desktop” with the one you’re restoring? “Desktop” is required by Mac OS X. To replace it, you may need to enter an administrator’s name and password." So I say replace. But then it says "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Desktop” is in use." This basically means that I can't modify the desktop now, and I don't know any way to "end" the desktop so Time Machine can perform this function.

Any suggestions??!

Thanks,
Stuart

StuMagoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Fixed

Ok so I actually just found the answer. It turns out in the "Get Info" page, there were 2 options being: "System" and "everyone" but "admin" wasn't there. So I added that and then my desktop popped right up!

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

j armstrong

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Thanks A lot

I tried all I knew... (which was not much I might add!) and then I searched and found your thread! Because of you I can now get back to work in my studio! thanks for the post, and the solution!:)

lemack-j

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Problem with Time Machine and Desktop

Many, many thanks for taking the time to post this thread. I have been struggling for a considerable time with this problem and your solution fixed the issue instantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.