Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I want to pamper my iMac G5, but I've been noticing its fans come on and the CPU temperature topping 70 degrees centigrade even when I'm only running a few apps. (Finder, Dashboard, several Safari Windows, iTunes, Illustrator). The top left corner of the back of my iMac (from the front view, ie. reach around with your left hand and touch the top left corner) is the warmest part, and is quite warm when the CPU gets hot, but I notice that it's not nearly as hot as what my old Dell laptop would sometimes produce (when you touched its underside.. sometimes its powerprick would get so hot as it would shut down and refuse to work until it cooled off).

Should I really be worried? It's just that this is such a beautiful machine and it would be a shame if I had one of those defective ones with a power supply that overheats, causes a fire, and nearly kills someone. :) Or are my suspicions unwarranted?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
70 degrees centigrade is a bit on the high end. Mine runs from 60-65 under normal conditions and the fans are almost silent. I got it up to 77 once though. That freaked me out until the fans brought it back down.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
probably a really dumb question, but what are you peeps using to monitor the CPU temp on your iMacs? :)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
tzibo said:
probably a really dumb question, but what are you peeps using to monitor the CPU temp on your iMacs? :)

Temperature Monitor. You can find it at version tracker.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I also use X Resource Graph. I'm not sure if Apple really did the best job they could on the cooling on the iMac G5. The G5 runs really hot, and while the iMac is very quiet under normal usage, I wouldn't mind a bit more fan noise if it kept my computer's CPU in a healthier environment. Also, does the power source produce much heat? I think Apple should have made it an external powerbrick like the Mac Mini. After all, the iMac G5 is really just like an oversized laptop. An external power source wouldn't be all that troublesome, would it? It would also prevent people from having to send iMacs in for replacement due to scorched logic boards because the power source burnt out.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
cleanup said:
I also use X Resource Graph. I'm not sure if Apple really did the best job they could on the cooling on the iMac G5. The G5 runs really hot, and while the iMac is very quiet under normal usage, I wouldn't mind a bit more fan noise if it kept my computer's CPU in a healthier environment. Also, does the power source produce much heat? I think Apple should have made it an external powerbrick like the Mac Mini. After all, the iMac G5 is really just like an oversized laptop. An external power source wouldn't be all that troublesome, would it? It would also prevent people from having to send iMacs in for replacement due to scorched logic boards because the power source burnt out.

I agree. The iMac G5 could use a better cooling system. I'm not a fan of liquid cooling, but I think the iMac G5 could use it if possible. My iMac operates at 150 degrees F all the time and the fans are spinning at 2000 RPM or higher all the time. I disappointed with the noise the my iMac G5 makes. Its anything but whisper quiet.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
mklos said:
I agree. The iMac G5 could use a better cooling system. I'm not a fan of liquid cooling, but I think the iMac G5 could use it if possible. My iMac operates at 150 degrees F all the time and the fans are spinning at 2000 RPM or higher all the time. I disappointed with the noise the my iMac G5 makes. Its anything but whisper quiet.

How did you get the rpm of your fans? Temperature moniter only tells me the temp of my HD and CPU, although I have seen screenshots of TM monitering lots of stuff like the GPU temp, power brick etc.

EDIT: Downloaded X Resource Graph, which is a MUCH better app than temperature moniter IMO. I love it, thank You!

llama :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Flying Llama said:
How did you get the rpm of your fans? Temperature moniter only tells me the temp of my HD and CPU, although I have seen screenshots of TM monitering lots of stuff like the GPU temp, power brick etc.
X Resource Graph

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
cleanup said:
Dell laptop would sometimes produce (when you touched its underside.. sometimes its powerprick would get so hot as it would shut down and refuse to work until it cooled off).

Didn't know Dell was supplying erotic novelty peripherals with laptops these days.

If your "powerprick" gets too hot, perhaps you are using it too much and should seek some help.

:p

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
... but seriously... all that stuff about modifications to firmware voiding your warrantee might be worth something......

After applying the "Screen Spanning Hack" My iMac g5 (though a rev a) jumped an average of 7 degrees C after an hour of steady 93% CPU usage and (what I'm assuming is) 100% GPU usage. However, it is important to notice that the temperature of my room in the later experiment was about 6-7 deg C hotter.

The fans actually do a good job at bringing the temp back down.

For instance the external temp in my room right now is about 72 deg F (MUCH cooler than the temp at which the experiment above was performed (around 85 deg) and my resting (20% use) CPU temp was about 66 deg C. Then running a homemade stress test the temp went up to 70 C and the CPU fan then jumped from 2300 some odd rpm up to 4400 (god damn loud with a wining sound that just started a little over a week ago) and brought the temp down to 61.8 C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.