PDA

View Full Version : useless iPhoto 'sharing'

-BigMac-
Apr 16, 2012, 05:07 AM
hi guys,
i bought the iphoto app for my ipad 3.
after adding effects to a photo from camera roll, i 'share the edited photo' back into camera roll. The photo is ALWAYS highly pixelated, almost as if the photo processing didnt complete.

this doesnt change no matter how long i wait looking at the photo in camera roll.
Because of this, iPhoto is completely useless for me.

Anyone else experienced this pixelation?

waynep
Apr 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
I did not recall that problem, so I just tied it on my iPad. I did not get a pixelated photo. It looked fine. Not sure what direction to suggest though . .

jeffkempster
Apr 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
I have used the new iPhoto and no pixelation for me either. At the very least I would erase iPhoto from the iPad. Then reboot the iPad by holding down the top and home buttons for 10 seconds until the white apple logo appears. Then I would redownload iPhoto and try again.

If you post some screen shots it may help us.

NTeggerdine
Apr 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
hi guys,
i bought the iphoto app for my ipad 3.
after adding effects to a photo from camera roll, i 'share the edited photo' back into camera roll. The photo is ALWAYS highly pixelated, almost as if the photo processing didnt complete.

this doesnt change no matter how long i wait looking at the photo in camera roll.
Because of this, iPhoto is completely useless for me.

Anyone else experienced this pixelation?

After I did not experience this problem I tried several different way to make it happen so then maybe I could see what was going on with your pics. I could not make this happen for the life of me. I would maybe try reinstalling the app and if it continues contact apple support.

-BigMac-
Apr 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
I have used the new iPhoto and no pixelation for me either. At the very least I would erase iPhoto from the iPad. Then reboot the iPad by holding down the top and home buttons for 10 seconds until the white apple logo appears. Then I would redownload iPhoto and try again.

If you post some screen shots it may help us.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/469480_10150787251375862_563490861_11993974_1191633560_o.jpg

iHeartsteve
Apr 16, 2012, 06:52 PM
I use iPhoto and that's never happened to mine. You're right it seems like it can't fully finishing applying the effect to the photo. Is this a photo you took using iPad or another high res photo that you then downloaded on iPad? When did you download the iPhoto app and did it download from your saved backup from iTunes?

BFizzzle
Apr 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
i love your username

sorry no problems here for me! on my ipad and iphone 4s

-BigMac-
Apr 16, 2012, 07:10 PM
I use iPhoto and that's never happened to mine. You're right it seems like it can't fully finishing applying the effect to the photo. Is this a photo you took using iPad or another high res photo that you then downloaded on iPad? When did you download the iPhoto app and did it download from your saved backup from iTunes?

just reinstalled, rebooted. same thing.

the photo was downloaded from an external site. with preset ipad 3 resolution.

I downloaded the app pretty much on launch day, and just now re downloaded it, and same thing.

This is clearly not sufficient enough, as i paid for this app.

PrayForDeath
Apr 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Did you try other pictures? Like something taken with your ipads camera?

GraphicsGeek
Apr 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
I've had this problem with images saved from the web. But not using iPhoto. Sometimes they'll appear like that in the Photos app.

iHeartsteve
Apr 16, 2012, 08:37 PM
just reinstalled, rebooted. same thing.

the photo was downloaded from an external site. with preset ipad 3 resolution.

I downloaded the app pretty much on launch day, and just now re downloaded it, and same thing.

This is clearly not sufficient enough, as i paid for this app.

Hmm not sure but it just seems like iPhoto couldn't handle processing the photo. Is it high res photo from website? Depending what effect you tried applying makes a difference. iPhoto on an iPad is very simplistic version and no where near the capabilities of photoshop so thats my guess. And obviously iPad power doesn't compare to a desktop.

-BigMac-
Apr 16, 2012, 08:38 PM

ipad taken photos arent effected by this problem. only ones which have been downloaded from an external source. This is more annoying, as a majority of my wallpapers are from an external site.

Apple did not market this app for 'iPad-only photo editing'.

iHeartsteve
Apr 16, 2012, 08:40 PM

This, try another photo applying the same effect

-BigMac-
Apr 17, 2012, 01:30 AM
This, try another photo applying the same effect

same pixelation on external pics

iHeartsteve
Apr 17, 2012, 01:54 AM

Yes apple didn't market iPhoto for iPad only photos. However it seems like your using some extremely high res photos. I guess apple just assumes that iPhoto is for quick on the go applications. For the amateur. Sorry I think you may just have to use photoshop. Or if you really want to use this effect. Convert this image to smaller Jpeg first.

rocknblogger
Apr 17, 2012, 02:08 AM
I was able to recreate this issue by trying to edit a wallpaper I downloaded. This is not good. That's a pretty glaring limitation.

-BigMac-
Apr 17, 2012, 02:10 AM
Yes apple didn't market iPhoto for iPad only photos. However it seems like your using some extremely high res photos. I guess apple just assumes that iPhoto is for quick on the go applications. For the amateur. Sorry I think you may just have to use photoshop. Or if you really want to use this effect. Convert this image to smaller Jpeg first.

didnt realise 2000x2000 is an 'extremely high res'

----------

I was able to recreate this issue by trying to edit a wallpaper I downloaded. This is not good. That's a pretty glaring limitation.

PERFECT!!!! glad im not the only one... was thinking theres something wrong with my ipad. what now?

brand
Apr 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
PERFECT!!!! glad im not the only one... was thinking theres something wrong with my ipad. what now?

Wait for an update.

AceCoolie
Apr 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
I've had it happen when creating a journal and sharing it.

BrennerM
Apr 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Wonder if this is because you are getting interlaced GIFs/PNGs from the internet. Looks like interlacing artifacts to me. Probably an iPhoto bug. I've used it on 13MP images from my camera and never saw this issue.

dmccloud
Apr 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
They said at the iPad announcement that iPhoto for iOS would handle images up to 19MP in size. If the images in question are higher than that it could be causing issues. I use iPhoto on my iPad with images shot on a Canon Rebel T2i (18MP) and haven't had any issues like that at all.

spiderman0616
Apr 17, 2012, 03:02 PM
Also make sure that the image you downloaded was not the thumbnail of the image, but the actual image itself. I've fallen into that trap before.

Mak47
Apr 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
I've never seen it after sharing to the camera roll. Sometimes after I've edited a bunch of photos, if I go back to view them in iPhoto they appear distorted--but the shared file is perfect. This is anything from iPad photos, to pictures beamed from the iPhone 4S, to photos imported from various digital cameras. It's an irritating bug, but not one that has a lasting effect.

Yours sounds different.

MythicFrost
Apr 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Have you checked that the pixelation isn't already there on the original? I've read that Safari automatically downscales images of a certain size or greater, so even though you may be visiting a site with 2048x1536 resolution images, they may be getting downscaled to even 1024x768.

I seem to remember it being okay when saved directly to iPhoto, but I'm not sure about that.

b.c.
Apr 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm using iPhoto on iPad and don't see this problem when editing photos I've uploaded to the iPad from my DSLR (via camera connection kit). Images I edit retain their full resolution *

I'm wondering exactly how you are downloading the photos from Internet to your camera roll, and if they are being downsized at that step (not by iPhoto later when editing)?

Here's something to try: after downloading the image but before editing, check the image resolution in the camera roll before touching it. Some 3rd party apps will let you open camera roll images and show you the image resolution, for example the free app called PhotoPad

Be sure the source image you're editing is exactly what resolution you think it is before you edit

*update: I rechecked and in iPhoto I notice edited photos that are saved back to the camera roll seem to be downsized. however if you look at same edited photo within iPhoto, in the "Edited" album, those edited photos are still full resolution. so something is going on with resizing back to the camera roll?

blairwillis
Apr 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
I believe I read recently that iOS Safari is not downloading full res photos, perhaps in an effort to reduce data consumption?

I don't think the problem is with iPhoto at all.

PrayForDeath
Apr 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
If there is indeed a limitation in iPhoto on 2000+ px images, then all I can say is I'm glad I didn't buy it. lol

Oppressed
Apr 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
That photo you have screen shoted, try while in the photos app hitting the edit button then the enhance feature and tell me if it does anything. Reason being is that I ran into this very issue and that sometimes fixed it otherwise just redownloas the image.

xnickitynickx
Apr 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
I was actually just using it tonight. Pulled in pics from external camera with apple connection kit. Used all sorts of effects, no pixelation at all.

parkiebear
May 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
OK, I admit to being a Mac newbie; bought a 13"MBP in 2009 and the second generation 13"MBA in 2010 when it came out. Then I bought a new iPad right before a trip to Europe. Didn't notice the difference between the "Photo" app on the new iPad and iPhoto on my MBA (my fault, obviously, but details are often lost on me.) Used the Photo app on the iPad and noticed some features missing (ability to label pictures, for example), so asked my tech guy when I returned about the differences and he graciously pointed out that I wasn't using the same app. Accordingly, I went to the app store to buy iPhoto for my iPad but before purchasing it, checked the reviews as I normally do. They are not too good. What do you experienced guys think? (I have a Nikon D90 and am very satisfied with the capabilities of iPhoto on the MBA). Have looked at Aperture, but don't really see that I need it, given my rank amateur status.

Any advice would be appreciated. The base question is whether or not iPhoto for the iPad is lacking features, or are the negative reviewers "disappointed" because the update appears not to support some earlier versions of the iPad? (That was suggested in some of the posts.)

-BigMac-
May 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
If there is indeed a limitation in iPhoto on 2000+ px images, then all I can say is I'm glad I didn't buy it. lol

I can still make this effect. anything i download from the internet has this effect on it. Only iPad taken photos seem to be problem free.

I was actually just using it tonight. Pulled in pics from external camera with apple connection kit. Used all sorts of effects, no pixelation at all.

I have a feeling it has something to do with safari, like stated before. It seems when Safari is somehow related to the import of the photo, it does this. Well on my iPad anyway. Am i such a minority? This cannot be happening to 2% of the users, when we're all running identical software and hardware...

Puzzled :confused: