PDA

View Full Version : What is the best hardware for Media Center with XBMC or Plex?

deckerinn
Apr 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
Dear members.

What is the best hardware for Media Center with XBMC or Plex?

Br, Deckerinn

roidy
Apr 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
XBMC - Use a dedicated HTPC box and run the linux/windows version of XBMC.
PLEX - Use a Mac Mini.

If you want the option to run XBMC and PLEX on the same box then use a Mac Mini. If you only want XBMC then a PC based box is much cheaper.

The ATV2 will run XBMC and a stripped down PLEX client but you asked for the best hardware, and while it's the cheapest option, it's not the best hardware.

deckerinn
Apr 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
XBMC - Use a dedicated HTPC box and run the linux/windows version of XBMC.
PLEX - Use a Mac Mini.

If you want the option to run XBMC and PLEX on the same box then use a Mac Mini. If you only want XBMC then a PC based box is much cheaper.

The ATV2 will run XBMC and a stripped down PLEX client but you asked for the best hardware, and while it's the cheapest option, it's not the best hardware.

I am quite interested for Mac Mini and to have also Win 7 Pro installed on it as a backup if Mac Os update would lock the OS because their business is Itunes. Maybe I am paranoid but this has been the plan but would you recommend Mac Mini standard or Mac Mini Server?

roidy
Apr 16, 2012, 06:54 AM
You've already made a thread asking that question. I have no opinion as I don't use Macs at all.

maturola
Apr 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Custom made HTPC (maybe AMD Llano or AMD E-350 based) would be the best hardware for it, you can build it to even support 3D bluray playback if you want to ( and have a 3D tv or plan to get one soon).

Outrigger
Apr 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
have also Win 7 Pro installed on it as a backup if Mac Os update would lock the OS because their business is Itunes.

you're confusing os x with ios. updates for os x does not "lock" it in any way.