Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclaydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi

Looking to replace my 2008 Macbook with either a Mac Mini or iMac, but can't decide what is best for my needs.

I currently use my Macbook for editing home videos (HD) in iMovie and am becoming more interested in photography so have just upgraded to Aperture.

I also have an iPad 3 and iPhone 4 which both sync across, and am also looking to upgrade my Apple TV 1 to the Apple TV 3, so would like streaming options - currently Macbook remains on most of the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
The two products are nothing alike. It shouldn't be difficult to choose.

jclaydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Yes and No.

An iMac seems better suited for my need to edit photos and video, but would a Mac Mini not be better for feeding an Apple TV?

Do people generally leave their iMac's on all the time (as I would need to do)?

emoore

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
An iMac or a Mac Mini would both be fine feeding an apple TV. Not really any difference there unless you want to use the Mini as a HTPC. If you need to or want to buy a monitor I would just go with the iMac.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
There are pros and cons for both. I was also looking at both, but for what I was doing the Mac Mini was the better choice. I personally do not like the all in one type of computer. With the 21.5" iMac when you go to upgrade you will be throwing away a very good monitor. I think the 27" can work as a monitor for other computers if needed. (feel free to correct me if I am wrong here on the monitors here).

Also it gave me the ability to choose my own (non glossy) monitor. I went with an LG IPS display that looks just as good and no reflections.

I have seen some complain about the included mouse in the iMac 21.5" (magic mouse) as it is too small, so you will still need to replace that if it doesn't feel good to you, and a good mouse will run about $50 or more. (did find the M705 for $30 at a local B&M store). I don't like the wireless keyboard from Apple as I wanted a number pad, so went with the Logitech K750 ($60) for Mac, and love it. So I would have been adding $110 to the price any way.

As you can see everyone has different needs. Since I wanted to choose my own non glossy monitor, didn't like the included Mouse and Keyboard it was better for me just to go with the Mac Mini. But for many who like the glossy monitor as well as the mouse and keyboard that are included then you would want to look at the iMac. Also if space is an issue it is hard to do better than the iMac for saving space.

Good luck on your choice. I bet you will be happy with either.

Edit:
I was looking at going with the Apple TV as well, so did a lot of research, and found that even a lot of Apple/Mac websites looked toward the Roku 2 instead. My parents were looking at getting wireless internet TV and due to their needs only the Roku had the channels they wanted, so I bought it for them and tested it out on my TV before I was to give it to them. Long story short.....they never got their Roku from me. The amount of content is amazing, but if you are into wanting to keep an entire Apple infrastructure then the Apple TV is the only way to go. Just my 2 cents that is only worth 1.

Last edited:

jclaydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Will try and have a play with both at a local store and see which I prefer. Will probably also wait to see if new iMacs are released in the next few months.

In terms of the Roku 2, I'm in the UK so think the content is fairly limited. I have the main tv catch-up services through my Sony TV, but the main attraction of the ATV3 is airplay and mirroring from the ipad.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
For me, I prefer at the moment to keep the two separate. That and I could bring a MacMini home from the states on the cheap, whereas an iMac is too big.

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
For me it's all about the display. I don't like the glass and glossy iMac display as it's too distracting.

You may get used to it, I couldn't.

When Apple delivers an IMAC with a non-glossy display, I'll consider it. In the meantime I'll stick with a Mini and and Eizo Coloredge monitor. I do a lot of digital photo editing and process mostly in the Adobe color space. So I need a monitor that displays at least 98% of the Adobe RGB color space. My understanding is that the IMAC display won't work in the Adobe space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.