Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyo2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I am looking for a case that works well in book mode. I've read many threads on this message board but I still can't find the right product. I've recently ordered the STM grip, which is an awesome case. Except for the fact that it is very annoying in book mode. The front cover is loose when it folds back and the clasp is very annoying when you have to type.

In short, what I'm looking for, case that
-looks good (i.e. doesn't look cheap)
-works well in book mode. with a front cover that doesn't stay loose when it's folded back (either held by magnet or something else).
-protect front and back
-not bulky
-magnetic on/off feature

Any suggestions?? Help would be greatly appreciated.

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I am looking for a case that works well in book mode. I've read many threads on this message board but I still can't find the right product. I've recently ordered the STM grip, which is an awesome case. Except for the fact that it is very annoying in book mode. The front cover is loose when it folds back and the clasp is very annoying when you have to type.

-works well in book mode. with a front cover that doesn't stay loose when it's folded back (either held by magnet or something else).
-protect front and back
-not bulky
-magnetic on/off feature

check out my review on the belkin cinema leather folio.. it should meet 3 or 4 of your 5 requirements.

yoyo2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
The maroo looks nice. But I feel like the elastic thingies might annoy me a bit. Same with belkin and its clasp.

There's no cases that have a front cover that is held through magnets only when held back?

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
The maroo looks nice. But I feel like the elastic thingies might annoy me a bit. Same with belkin and its clasp.

There's no cases that have a front cover that is held through magnets only when held back?

I believe the new Devicewear bridgeway holds the back with a magnet.

elizabest

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012

-protect front and back
-not bulky
-magnetic on/off feature

I recommend getting a DODOCASE if you want the book type ipad 3 casing :)

Mufaddal

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Chicago
The joy smart suit 3 is what you're looking for. It looks great, protects the back, and the cover is held by magnets in book mode. I love mine!

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I've owned all the case types, tried them all, and the answer is:

The Apple SmartCover.

The only good case for book mode (portrait) orientation is one with a removable cover so there's nothing in your hands, fingers, or palms causing distraction or fatigue.

Get the Marware Microshell + SmartCover as its the proper solution. Took me a month to figure it out, but once again Apple knows what it's doing and there's a reason why it dropped the iPad 1 style case and developed just a removable cover.

BJ

AnotherScott

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2006
I'm also looking for an iPad 3 case that works well in book mode, but my criteria are a bit different from those of the OP, in part because, much of the time, I'm not holding it, but rather putting it into a holder that needs it to be flat and roughly the size of the iPad itself. So...

1. Needs to be able to lay flat in book mode.

2. Rear camera needs to work in book mode.

3. Camera Connection Kit needs to fit.

4. Speaker should be entirely unobstructed

The thinner and lighter, the better. I'd prefer the magnetic on/off, but it's not essential.

My frontrunner at the moment is the Invellop leatherette cover. Any comments on that one? Suggested alternatives?

caravancgb

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
Best iPad 3 case

-protect front and back
-not bulky
-magnetic on/off feature

I would recommend to you Yoobao iPad Cases
Yoobao Executive Genuine Leather Case for iPad3 is exactly what you looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.