PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Your thoughts on the Galaxy S III

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yumunum
Apr 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
EDIT: The phone has been announced! Ignore my speculation in this first post.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/samsung-will-unveil-the-next-galaxy-phone-may-3rd-in-london/

It's coming soon... What are your thoughts on the Galaxy S III? As an iPhone user, Android user, or something else, how do you feel about it?

This is not a troll thread, and it's sad that I have to say that. We can have an intelligent conversation about a competing platform.

This could be the big kahuna for Android phones. Last year Samsung released the GS2, which was a huge upgrade. Hopefully the GS3 is too.

One problem that has plagued Android phones is bad battery life, but according to Samsung, they're going to fix that this year. It'd be great to see a large battery or more efficient internals.
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57358219/hallelujah-samsung-promises-all-day-battery-life-on-phones/

It's pretty much expected that the screen will have be large and have a high resolution, like the Galaxy Nexus they released awhile ago.

Also, there's thoughts that it will use liquid metal. Just look at the teaser-picture in the first link. Interesting, right? There are 3 large drops of liquid, and the 2 blue ones have a metal finish of some sort. The possibility of liquid metal in Samsung's next flagship phone was also mentioned in a article MacRumors posted yesterday. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1360060
If this became reality, it'd be hard to deny how neat it would be.

I currently use an iPhone (I used to own Android phones), but the GS3 would make me want to switch back.

Here's how I see it (for ME. MY uses):
-huge screen, displaying more content (I dislike the small iPhone display)
-faster (yes, faster. With animations turned off on Android, it's awesome)
-better YouTube app
-Google Maps and Google Places apps
-better handling of notification (Apple STILL got notifications wrong, in my opinion)
-Flash, when needed
-you can set your browser agent to desktop. No more annoying mobile sites
-really fast 4G, if I'm in the right area

I would love those features. There are a good amount of things that annoy me on the iPhone. But that's just me. Some of you may not touch Android with 10-foot pole. If you're one of those people, I'd be interested to hear what about the GS3/Android still wouldn't be good enough to make you think about switching.

jmpnop
Apr 19, 2012, 03:30 AM
The problem with Android is its poorly optimized, untimely updates (most don't even get updates) and in case of Samsung cheap build quality. I'd take HTC One X over Galaxy S3.

Yumunum
Apr 19, 2012, 03:39 AM
The problem with Android is its poorly optimized, untimely updates (most don't even get updates) and in case of Samsung cheap build quality. I'd take HTC One X over Galaxy S3.

How do you define poorly optimized? A lot of Android phones are laggy, if that's what you mean. But Samsung's latest stuff seems pretty smooth.

Yeah, updates suck. They seem worst in the U.S.

How does the build quality effect you? (I figure you're talking about materials, sturdiness, ect.) Do you not put cases on your phones? It's arguable that Samsung phones are built better than the iPhone. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

jmpnop
Apr 19, 2012, 04:00 AM
How do you define poorly optimized? A lot of Android phones are laggy, if that's what you mean. But Samsung's latest stuff seems pretty smooth.

How does the build quality effect you? (I figure you're talking about materials, sturdiness, ect.) Do you not put cases on your phones? It's arguable that Samsung phones are built better than the iPhone. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

Android has to support many hardware. That plus buggy UI layer (Touchwiz, Sense, etc) that manufacturers put makes Android laggy. The web browser for instance is nowhere as smooth as iPhone. Regarding build quality, I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.

Skika
Apr 19, 2012, 04:18 AM
The main problem for me is that Android is just such a tasteless OS.

It simpy doesnt have the elegance and class feel to it like iOS.

wgonzvega
Apr 19, 2012, 04:48 AM
It seems that its going to be a great device. The OS is what I think needs more work, my wife have an company Android phone and for my its laggy and the OS is not as polished as the iPhone. All I can tell you is go to a store and play with the phone when is available is the only way to know for you and anyone else. The other day I play with the Note, great device I was blown away by the hand recognition and that screen but after a while I discover that going around with that thing it was not for me. I will stay on iPhone and see whats next.

cynics
Apr 19, 2012, 04:49 AM

Just use an iOS launcher on the S3. :)

http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/EspierLauncheriOSCloneForAndroid.jpg

Most people dont like it because like iOS it's like starring at your app draw in android all day.

Ubuntu
Apr 19, 2012, 04:49 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/samsung-will-unveil-the-next-galaxy-phone-may-3rd-in-london/

It's coming soon... What are your thoughts on the Galaxy S III? As an iPhone user, Android user, or something else, how do you feel about it?

This is not a troll thread, and it's sad that I have to say that. We can have an intelligent conversation about a competing platform.

This could be the big kahuna for Android phones. Last year Samsung released the GS2, which was a huge upgrade. Hopefully the GS3 is too.

One problem that has plagued Android phones is bad battery life, but according to Samsung, they're going to fix that this year. It'd be great to see a large battery or more efficient internals.
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57358219/hallelujah-samsung-promises-all-day-battery-life-on-phones/

It's pretty much expected that the screen will have be large and have a high resolution, like the Galaxy Nexus they released awhile ago.

Also, there's thoughts that it will use liquid metal. Just look at the teaser-picture in the first link. Interesting, right? There are 3 large drops of liquid, and the 2 blue ones have a metal finish of some sort. The possibility of liquid metal in Samsung's next flagship phone was also mentioned in a article MacRumors posted yesterday. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1360060
If this became reality, it'd be hard to deny how neat it would be.

I currently use an iPhone (I used to own Android phones), but the GS3 would make me want to switch back.

Here's how I see it (for ME. MY uses):
-huge screen, displaying more content (I dislike the small iPhone display)
-faster (yes, faster. With animations turned off on Android, it's awesome)
-better YouTube app
-Google Maps and Google Places apps
-better handling of notification (Apple STILL got notifications wrong, in my opinion)
-Flash, when needed
-you can set your browser agent to desktop. No more annoying mobile sites
-really fast 4G, if I'm in the right area

I would love those features. There are a good amount of things that annoy me on the iPhone. But that's just me. Some of you may not touch Android with 10-foot pole. If you're one of those people, I'd be interested to hear what about the GS3/Android still wouldn't be good enough to make you think about switching.

Well I think the SII is an excellent phone so I can only hope that the SIII will be better, although I did purchase the Galaxy Nexus (which came out after the SII) and returned it shortly due to a pretty poor experience. I didn't like the hardware of either the SII or Galaxy Nexus, the cheap plastic, etc.

Sadly it's mostly the software that breaks the deal for me. I don't mind Android but I just prefer the quality of iOS (and lack of malware from applications), and I'm not a fan of Samsung skinning the OS, either. If has a larger screen than the SII then no thanks, the SII is big enough as it is, for me. In fact, the iPhone is fine for me in that respect. Also, the SII is near enough in price to the iPhone and the icing on the cake is that when something goes wrong with my iPhone I know I'm in good hands, but when my friend's Galaxy Nexus broke days after the cooling off period he had a nightmare getting Samsung and Carphone Warehouse to diagnose the issue and actually fix it.

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 05:27 AM
I will be watching for the SGIII. People here do not appreciate having more freedom to do as you wish. I love Android as it is a much more "open" system than iOS. My SGII never had any battery problems and I would not expect the SGIII to have either.

Bring it on Samsung!

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 19, 2012, 05:33 AM
The main reason I still use an iPhone is because of the integrated platform. Android is still extremely fragmented and updates scarce. There's also the lack of security due to the marketplace being completely open. Hardware-wise, Samsung does a great job. It has high-spec quality components but poorly optimized software to make full use of it and a horrible UI layer. I don't know about the rumored ceramic shell and Samsung's build quality is kind of lacking compared to HTC or Motorola. The GSIII will no doubt perform well in benchmarks but as for real-world performance, I don't see it as anything special. Their design is highly generic and boring.

darster
Apr 19, 2012, 05:38 AM
Their design is highly generic and boring.

Kind of like the iphone. Not saying the Galaxy 3 will be the phone of all phones. I am not a big Samsung fan, but we will see what they deliver. Just like apple with the iPhone 5. Right now, both companies seem to be in a slow motion race to nowhere because of their constant bickering with each other. Let's hope they can find at least a truce in the upcoming meeting with both CEO's and move forward to bigger and better things.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 19, 2012, 06:03 AM
Kind of like the iphone. Not saying the Galaxy 3 will be the phone of all phones. I am not a big Samsung fan, but we will see what they deliver. Just like apple with the iPhone 5. Right now, both companies seem to be in a slow motion race to nowhere because of their constant bickering with each other. Let's hope they can find at least a truce in the upcoming meeting with both CEO's and move forward to bigger and better things.

I have not seen any phone that looks similar to the iPhone other than knockoffs and the like. But given a Samsung phone, I cannot point out any special design features that set it apart. Motorola's Droid RAZR and HTC phones have special design features that set them apart.

chrf097
Apr 19, 2012, 06:11 AM
How can I give my thoughts on the Galaxy SIII when nobody has even seen it yet?

aziatiklover
Apr 19, 2012, 06:17 AM
Android has to support many hardware. That plus buggy UI layer (Touchwiz, Sense, etc) that manufacturers put makes Android laggy. The web browser for instance is nowhere as smooth as iPhone. Regarding build quality, I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.

Let me guess you didnt have the 3g/3gs? From what i remember they were plastic!

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
Let me guess you didnt have the 3g/3gs? From what i remember they were plastic!

That was years ago. Remember the Android phones back then? Not only was build quality far worse than iPhones back then but software was horrendous. Comparing today's stuff to two years ago is unfair yet the 3G/3GS build quality is still good in today's standards.

nickchallis92
Apr 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
I don't know how samsung do it, but their android phones seem to operate so much more smoothly than all the others

the SGS2 is totally lag free

sk1wbw
Apr 19, 2012, 07:31 AM
I will be watching for the SGIII. People here do not appreciate having more freedom to do as you wish. I love Android as it is a much more "open" system than iOS. My SGII never had any battery problems and I would not expect the SGIII to have either.

Bring it on Samsung!

How many phones running Android constitute "freedom"? 200? 300? But someone who doesn't like Android doesn't like freedom? You mean the freedom to actually update your phone's OS?

Certinfy
Apr 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
I want one.

Had a SGS2 before I got my 4S and thought it was a good phone. Only thing I really didn't like about it was the plastic which felt cheap. Android on the other hand was no where near bad as I've heard people here make out but I can't say i'm a fan of it either.

Anyway if this phone is released with the rumoured specs, nice design, reasonable size and material then I'll probably get it. Personally i've had enough of iPhones and want to move to Windows Phone but waiting for WP8 devices might take a while so I may just settle with the SGS3.

b24pgg
Apr 19, 2012, 08:09 AM
Zero details about the SIII have leaked and you're already assuming its build quality?

cynics
Apr 19, 2012, 08:12 AM
How many phones running Android constitute "freedom"? 200? 300? But someone who doesn't like Android doesn't like freedom? You mean the freedom to actually update your phone's OS?

I think by freedom he meant the way the OS operates.

Like the freedom to :

Download any file(s) and apps from the web. Change the keyboard to something you prefer. USB hosting. Apps can run in the background so you multitask a bit better. Browse flash based web pages (not a fan of flash but still plenty out there). Etc etc

Not the sheer number of phones lol

Bainsyuk
Apr 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
Zero details about the SIII have leaked and you're already assuming its build quality?

Because that's all people can do. If build quality has always felt poor to some people why assume it would be better this time? :-)

entatlrg
Apr 19, 2012, 08:45 AM

Well said.

Furthermore I don't by knock off's of any product. How Samesung copied Apple's accessories, packaging, etc is pathetic, so no Samesung retail products for me.

Korean designed electronics never interest me, too often they're low quality knock off's of existing good tech, whether it's cars, TV's, washers, dryers or computers.

bigjnyc
Apr 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
My thought is that it will be obsolete in a month when the next Android device comes out... I know technology moves fast but the way they churn out these android phones is just absurd..... You buy an Android and a week or 2 later the new latest and greatest one is introduced. That would drive me bananas.

Rogifan
Apr 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
I think by freedom he meant the way the OS operates.

Like the freedom to :

Download any file(s) and apps from the web. Change the keyboard to something you prefer. USB hosting. Apps can run in the background so you multitask a bit better. Browse flash based web pages (not a fan of flash but still plenty out there). Etc etc

Not the sheer number of phones lol
Don't people have the freedom to do that? No one is having a gun put to their head saying they must buy Apple. As some who consciously makes a decision to purchase iOS devices it's annoying to constantly be looked upon as a lemming or stooge by non-iOS users as if everyone who owns an iPhone is a mind numbed robot blindly buying anything Apple puts out.

cynics
Apr 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Don't people have the freedom to do that? No one is having a gun put to their head saying they must buy Apple. As some who consciously makes a decision to purchase iOS devices it's annoying to constantly be looked upon as a lemming or stooge by non-iOS users as if everyone who owns an iPhone is a mind numbed robot blindly buying anything Apple puts out.

Huh? I was clarifying what someone was saying nothing more.

I have a 4S. I like it for my purposes but can see why someone would say there is a bit more freedom to do certain things with android.

onthecouchagain
Apr 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Personally, I'm really excited to see what's unveiled.

I predict it'll be somewhere near, or only a cut above, the HTC One X in terms of specs. Hardware-wise, Samsung has only gotten better, and with the promise of using higher quality materials, it'll be interesting to see how far they're taking it.

Software-wise, I'm hoping they take a cue from HTC and really downplay TouchWiz. As big as they've become, maybe they'll even have the guts to tell carriers to not put, or limit the amount of carrier-branded bloatware. One can hope.

Ultimately, though, despite what will be shown, I don't think I can pull the trigger until Apple unveils the next iPhone. Only then, can I make the best decision.

I've bounced between Nexus S, iPhone 4, 4S, and currently the Galaxy Nexus, and I can confidently say that the experience on both platforms have gotten closer and closer in similarity and quality. The differences are becoming relative and preferential. For the moment, Ice Cream Sandwich does a little bit more for my needs than iOS.

It's going to be an exciting year.

b24pgg
Apr 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Because that's all people can do.
...or they can just not make assumptions in the first place and wait two weeks for the thing to actually be announced.

Cod3rror
Apr 19, 2012, 11:00 AM
I don't know exactly what techniques Apple uses to make iOS smooth but I tried the latest and greatest HTC One X, with it's quad core CPU and it STILL was not as smooth in transitions and animations as even the iPhone 3GS.

On the iPhone even stuttering is somehow smooth.

I think they might be using motion blur or something.

iMaconApple
Apr 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
I'm waiting for it..I have a note running ics runs pretty smooth but some bugs due to not the official release of the OS..I'll be getting the S3 for sure.my second android phone :) I love the custom stuff you can do to it and make it they way you want it to look like custom widgets/shortcuts ect..iPhone got stale for me after years using it..I think I'll skip iPhone 5 this time even I know it's going to be the major change..it's time for a change for me..who knows my geek in me might get it later after all..:D it's good to have both to have the best of both worlds.. iPhone 5/S3 will be the fight of the year lets just all wait till they come out and test drive it and see what's the right device for you:)

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 11:26 AM

No Freedom to me is being able to do without iTunes. You can set up folders and move files at will where Apple will not let you move some files period and some only with lame iTunes. You can actually name the images you take where with Apple you can only dream of naming later. There are so many advantages and this is what ticks you Apple nut OFF!

I never needed to update my OS on my SG2. It is ashame that you iPhone people need to update all the time. Maybe Apple will get it right one day!:p

YOU ALSO NEED TO READ: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1360578

Pull you head out of your "Apple" and see the freedom an Android device gives you!

ledlauzis
Apr 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
I have MacBook, iPad, Apple TV and I can call myself a Apple fan but I don't have and iPhone.
Why?
I have the Galaxy S2 just because it has larger screen than iPhone and will more likely to upgrade to Galaxy S2 instead of waiting for Apple to release iPhone with screen size that is still reasonable for today's situation.

I don't care about performance and how many cores it has or how good is camera I just need phone with large screen so I can use it in the way I like the most. More about upcoming phone: crazytechlab.com (http://crazytechlab.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-specs/)

mrbutters
Apr 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
It hasn't even been released yet or it's specs made public. How can we have thoughts on it yet?

sk1wbw
Apr 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
No Freedom to me is being able to do without iTunes. You can set up folders and move files at will where Apple will not let you move some files period and some only with lame iTunes. You can actually name the images you take where with Apple you can only dream of naming later. There are so many advantages and this is what ticks you Apple nut OFF!

I never needed to update my OS on my SG2. It is ashame that you iPhone people need to update all the time. Maybe Apple will get it right one day!:p

Pull you head out of your "Apple" and see the freedom an Android device gives you!

I don't have to rely on Sprint to give me OS updates. And I think Apple is still selling pretty well, seeing as how half of all smartphones sold last quarter at Verizon were iPhones. And just imagine what the Android fanboys would say if Apple released new hardware with iOS 4.0 or iOS 3.0 on it like many makers do with Android. Releasing new handsets with Android 3.1 and 3.2 or whatever. Really lame.

And naming photos and being without iTunes isn't the "freedom" that Android was supposed to offer. "Freedom" as it relates to software is more akin to what Linux offers. You can "freely" download the Linux kernel and make your own distro and "freely" name it and "freely" distribute it. I'm not exactly sure you can do that with Android, can you? And don't forget the "freedom" of getting malware.

b24pgg
Apr 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
I don't know exactly what techniques Apple uses to make iOS smooth but I tried the latest and greatest HTC One X, with it's quad core CPU and it STILL was not as smooth in transitions and animations as even the iPhone 3GS.
This attempts to explain why that's the case: https://plus.google.com/100838276097451809262/posts/VDkV9XaJRGS

taeclee99
Apr 19, 2012, 01:18 PM

Freedom? What Freedom?

Are you free to uninstall the carrier bloatware from you phone?
Are you free to receive timely software updates from your carrier?
Are you free from device and app fragmentation?
Are you free from UI lag and UI inconsistencies?
Are you free to experience the largest and highest quality app and peripheral ecosystem?

Android is only means freedom for the carriers.

Rogifan
Apr 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Huh? I was clarifying what someone was saying nothing more.

I have a 4S. I like it for my purposes but can see why someone would say there is a bit more freedom to do certain things with android.My bad. I just get so annoyed when people pull out this 'freedom' card as if they're forced to use an iPhone. If iOS doesn't have the 'freedom' someone wants they're 'free' to not own an iPhone.

Yumunum
Apr 19, 2012, 01:27 PM

On the iPhone even stuttering is somehow smooth.

I think they might be using motion blur or something.

HTC is bad with lag. Like I've mentioned before, Samsung is pretty great at eliminating it. We don't want to make the assumption that all Android phones are laggy. We also don't want to say that all Android phones aren't laggy. (I'm not saying you claimed these things, btw)

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 01:54 PM
Freedom? What Freedom?

Are you free to experience the largest and highest quality app and peripheral ecosystem?

I had no problems as mine was International and factory unlocked with NO BLOATWARE

Timely Software updates, owned for over a year and never found a glitch, no OS update required. One day Apple might get it right and not required your device get updated all the time.:p

All the apps I used worked with out flaw. You really need to get out more often!

There was NO UI lag. Infact everything was faster than my iPhone 4S. I can still do a Google sat maps and move it around, shrink and expand it smooth as butter while the iPhone one is STILL trying to generate and for such a tiny little screen! :rolleyes:\

It is well know that 80% of Apple app inventory is crap.:eek:

Apple is living on it features from 2 years ago when such a tiny screen was average. Siri is stupid 80% of the time and the Cloud is hardly cutting edge.

onthecouchagain
Apr 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
Freedom? What Freedom?

You just basically took a list of features the iPhone has or does better than most Android devices, then said there's "no freedom" from those features for Android.

... all right.

sosinsurr
Apr 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
I have both the 4S and SII and let me tell you, the SII is all it's cracked up to be. So I'd expect nothing less from the SIII.

jmpnop
Apr 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
Timely Software updates, owned for over a year and never found a glitch, no OS update required. One day Apple might get it right and not required your device get updated all the time.:p

lol seriously? Don't tell me Android 2.3 is better than ICS. This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard:rolleyes:

nefan65
Apr 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
That it's the successor to the Galaxy S II, and predecessor to the Galaxy S IV?

j4zb4
Apr 19, 2012, 02:33 PM

I had iOS 3.0 running on my 2007 iphone 2g... I doubt that even SGS2 will get ICS before JellyBean is released... Thats the support I would prefer... My 3 year old 2G at that time had almost all the latest software that a year old 3GS had... But you people would never understand that...

The HTC I used after my 2G died was promised 2.2.3 in March 2011... Till November 2011 it didn't get any updates... And mine was an unlocked phone... Not tied to any carriers...

And keep your crap to yourself about "Apple getting it right the first time"... If Android was so right the first time why do they need Froyo and gingerbread and ICS...? lol... Atleast think before you speak.. But I guess the robot got your brain...

p.s.: here for your reference... Enjoy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#v2.3.x_Gingerbread

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
lol seriously? Don't tell me Android 2.3 is better than ICS. This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard:rolleyes:

Where did I tell you that? You are showing a lack of brains:p

ThatsMeRight
Apr 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
(...)
I have absolutely no thoughts about an unannounced device.

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 02:53 PM
I had iOS 3.0 running on my 2007 iphone 2g... I doubt that even SGS2 will get ICS before JellyBean is released... Thats the support I would prefer... My 3 year old 2G at that time had almost all the latest software that a year old 3GS had... But you people would never understand that...

The HTC I used after my 2G died was promised 2.2.3 in March 2011... Till November 2011 it didn't get any updates... And mine was an unlocked phone... Not tied to any carriers...

And keep your crap to yourself about "Apple getting it right the first time"... If Android was so right the first time why do they need Froyo and gingerbread and ICS...? lol... Atleast think before you speak.. But I guess the robot got your brain...

p.s.: here for your reference... Enjoy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#v2.3.x_Gingerbread

I am telling you how my SG2 worked and I suspect the SG3 will be even better. Not my fault you bought a CRAP HTC

And it IS CRAP that Apple still has missed the boat. The screen is so small and the OS so old most of the users minds are numb waiting for a REAL upgrade. You keep must be giddy to think that Siri was a upgrade. I think they are getting sued for false advertising!

Apples upgrade are about as good as most of the apps that are so old and outdated they need to be cleaned out of the system, but then that would cut the number of apps that Apple "claims" to have, most are CRAP!:eek:

ThatsMeRight
Apr 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
I am telling you how my SG2 worked and I suspect the SG3 will be even better. Not my fault you bought a CRAP HTC

And it IS CRAP that Apple still has missed the boat. The screen is so small and the OS so old most of the users minds are numb waiting for a REAL upgrade. You keep must be giddy to think that Siri was a upgrade. I think they are getting sued for false advertising!

Apples upgrade are about as good as most of the apps that are so old and outdated they need to be cleaned out of the system, but then that would cut the number of apps that Apple "claims" to have, most are CRAP!:eek:
I don't really get why you are so negative about Apple on an Apple-minded forum.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S II, and I'm using an iPad 3 - and I have used an iPhone 4.

Both Android and iOS have its advantages, and you constantly 'bitching' about everything (if I may put it like that), is out of order. Come with real arguments ("I believe operating system X is better than operating system X, because SOLID-ARGUMENT").

And oh yes, I also believe that the iPhone 4S was in no way a good upgrade (the iPhone 3GS was a much bigger upgrade) - but when you look at the complete picture it's still a very decent device.

entatlrg
Apr 19, 2012, 03:02 PM

Ha ha who fooled you? Whats CRAP is your misleading, false post. Do you actually believe what you write? You're full of anything but the truth that's for sure.

- posted using Siri ;)

:apple::apple::apple:

Invincibilizer
Apr 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
TouchWiz is the worst android overlay and it looks too much like iOS and the text is huge.

Going to get a different Android Phone even if GS3 comes out swinging hard.

sk1wbw
Apr 19, 2012, 04:12 PM

Screen size is not a functionality of the OS. Quit equating the two.

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 04:38 PM

No BUT, the screen size and the iOS are both in dire need of updating and from the thread are here, I am not alone in this.

I do expect the fan boys to keep sitting and waiting for what will not come.:cool:

sk1wbw
Apr 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
No BUT, the screen size and the iOS are both in dire need of updating and from the thread are here, I am not alone in this.

I do expect the fan boys to keep sitting and waiting for what will not come.:cool:

I don't understand why people brag about their smartphone screen size. I've never understood it. Why take it so personal? Apple users don't give a rats' ass and Android users brag about it all day.

See, iPhone users USE their iPhone, Android users brag about widgets and screen sizes.

Stealthipad
Apr 19, 2012, 05:25 PM
I don't understand why people brag about their smartphone screen size. I've never understood it. Why take it so personal? Apple users don't give a rats' ass and Android users brag about it all day.

See, iPhone users USE their iPhone, Android users brag about widgets and screen sizes.

That, sir, is where you are wrong. I am a Apple user as are many others here and they DO give a RAT'S ASS about the dinky screen AND senile OS.

It is YOU who are taking it personal. I find your display rather entertaining and funny but typical!

----------

Sorry but the small screen DOES effect the functionality.:p

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 19, 2012, 06:38 PM
That, sir, is where you are wrong. I am a Apple user as are many others here and they DO give a RAT'S ASS about the dinky screen AND senile OS.

It is YOU who are taking it personal. I find your display rather entertaining and funny but typical!

----------

Sorry but the small screen DOES effect the functionality.:p

I have to agree with you. I do give a rat's ass about dinky screens and senile OS. That's why I stay away from Android. The iPhone's IPS panel is the best panel in terms of color reproduction, viewing angles and pixel density. AMOLED panels produce fake colors and have yet to match the "retina" pixel density. 3.5" is the perfect size for most people in that one can easily access most of the screen area using one thumb without having to stretch their fingers. 4"+ panels are not only too large to comfortably use for most of us, it's also too bit to fit in our pockets. Android's typeface is absolutely horrible and pixelated compared to the smoothness and well-designed typeface of iOS.

Besides, iOS is incredibly secure compared to the "everyone and anyone can come in and do what the ---- they want and whenever they want" approach of Android. I don't know about you but I prefer not to have my personal info stolen or at a high risk of being stolen and I prefer to have a peace of mind when downloading an application. I know Android users like to tinker with their devices and not get any actual work done and to brag about benchmarks when other people are getting work done.

DanteMann
Apr 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
I have to agree with you. I do give a rat's ass about dinky screens and senile OS. That's why I stay away from Android. The iPhone's IPS panel is the best panel in terms of color reproduction, viewing angles and pixel density. AMOLED panels produce fake colors and have yet to match the "retina" pixel density. 3.5" is the perfect size for most people in that one can easily access most of the screen area using one thumb without having to stretch their fingers. 4"+ panels are not only too large to comfortably use for most of us, it's also too bit to fit in our pockets. Android's typeface is absolutely horrible and pixelated compared to the smoothness and well-designed typeface of iOS.

Besides, iOS is incredibly secure compared to the "everyone and anyone can come in and do what the ---- they want and whenever they want" approach of Android. I don't know about you but I prefer not to have my personal info stolen or at a high risk of being stolen and I prefer to have a peace of mind when downloading an application. I know Android users like to tinker with their devices and not get any actual work done and to brag about benchmarks when other people are getting work done.

So you've done a survey and found most people prefer the 3.5 inch screen?
And this tiny 3.5 inch screen requires the most accurate colors because why?
You say Amoled panels produce fake colors. Hmmm...what's a fake color? Never heard of a fake color.
Was having a long day, so thanks for the laugh. :D

lordofthereef
Apr 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
Apple users don't give a rats' ass and Android users brag about it all day.

I am an Apple user. I give a rat's ass. It's small. I think you will find that many people on this site simply assume that if you are saying something bad about an Apple product, you are not an Apple user. The person you originally responded to also uses an iPhone (based on other threads). He seems to give a rats ass. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean nobody else does, bud.

----------

I disagree completely. Once the OS is written such that it can be used on different sized screens, I would call that a functionality of the OS. You are certainly free to disagree.

aneftp
Apr 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Samsung needs to go back to the basics. Like learn how to design a cell phone antenna. Especially CDMA antennas.

I mean at least apple learns from their mistake. iPhone 2007. "ok maybe all alumnum back wasn't a good idea". Let's make it plastic back for better antenna performance.

iPhone 4 antenna gate. iPhone 4 CDMA. Everything fixed.

Samsung for as big as they are cannot make good CDMA antennas. They have been in the business for so long they still can't get it right. Their gsm radio are average at best. Better than CDMA but not that great.

Galaxy S had broken gps design. People bitch about the iPhone flaws but Samsung has hugh physical design with many of their phones. Battery life has not been a strength either. Just go over the android forums and see the long list of complaints.

Notice I haven't even talked about software issues with Samsung. These are hardware issues with Samsung.

I hope the S3 is a complete redesign with quality parts. But remember Samsung operates on thinner profits than Apple.

Apple makes up to 50% more profit per iPhone sold than Samsung does on their high end phones.

I always tell people to forget msrp prices. In the USA probably 90% of smartphone are sold are on carrier subsidies. Without telling the exact numbers. Sprint CEO let the cat out of the bag when he stated the iPhone cost his company 40% more than any other phone. And sprint carries the WiMAX version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 when he made this remark.

Just do the math. 40% more. Sprint probably pays apple cost to $600 for each iPhone 4S. Sprint probably pays Samsung no more than $450 for the Samsung Galaxy S2 in bulk.

So for Samsung to bring higher quality parts to the S3. They would face tremendous pressure asking for higher prices from the cell phone carrier in bulk.

kdarling
Apr 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
4"+ panels are not only too large to comfortably use for most of us, it's also too bit to fit in our pockets.

Lots of us have such phones and don't agree.

Two-thirds of Android phones sold last year were 4" or more. That's 160 million phones that apparently people didn't find too big to use.

Some even fit pockets better than the iPhone, because they're not as bulky.

Heck, I have a 4.6" screen, and it's neither unwieldly nor hard to pocket. My friends and family with iPhones often play with it and wish Apple had the same size.

I don't know about you but I prefer not to have my personal info stolen or at a high risk of being stolen and I prefer to have a peace of mind when downloading an application.

Watchdog groups like the App Genome Project have analyzed both Android and iOS apps and found that more iOS apps have access to personal info.

iOS apps often transfer personal and contact information (http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Apple+news/news.asp?c=37681) to ad companies and worse. This has been well known for years, starting with ad code (http://www.stopscum.com/spyware-migrates-to-the-apple-iphone-is-your-application-tracking-you-without-your-permission/)that sent as much info as it could. At least on Android, an app must have your permission to access contacts.

lordofthereef
Apr 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Watchdog groups like the App Genome Project have analyzed both Android and iOS apps and found that more iOS apps have access to personal info.

iOS apps often transfer personal and contact information (http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Apple+news/news.asp?c=37681) to ad companies and worse. This has been well known for years, starting with ad code (http://www.stopscum.com/spyware-migrates-to-the-apple-iphone-is-your-application-tracking-you-without-your-permission/)that sent as much info as it could. At least on Android, an app must have your permission to access contacts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Apple either in the process of or has already changed apps getting access to contacts in such a way that NOTHING on the appstore is allowed to have access anymore?

kdarling
Apr 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Apple either in the process of or has already changed apps getting access to contacts in such a way that NOTHING on the appstore is allowed to have access anymore?

An iOS app will have to ask permission of the user. It's a bit like closing the barn door after the horse ran away. For four years, many iOS apps have been culling people's contact information, no doubt often selling the info to advertisers. Extra revenue for the developer.

Of course, once you've given permission on any OS, you're simply trusting that the app won't also send out all the info it has access to.

The preferred method in my mind is to use something like Android's intent system. If an app uses that, then it doesn't have to ask permission to access the entire contact database. Instead the app asks the OS to pop up a contact chooser. That way, the phone user is ALWAYS in charge of what data is available to the app. The app only has access to whatever you yourself give it each time. It cannot go on its own and take everything.

Once the OS is written such that it can be used on different sized screens, I would call that a functionality of the OS.

I was thinking the same thing as you. The display size and resolution are tied together with iOS, which is why the hardware had to make a jump to double density in both directions, and is stuck after that.

qwerty123123
Apr 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
cant wait for the SG3!

IMO android ics is on parr with ios now.. i see no reason to stay with a small screen phone.

lordofthereef
Apr 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
An iOS app will have to ask permission of the user.

Ah ok. Guess I was a bit off on that. Too bad, really.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
So you've done a survey and found most people prefer the 3.5 inch screen?
And this tiny 3.5 inch screen requires the most accurate colors because why?
You say Amoled panels produce fake colors. Hmmm...what's a fake color? Never heard of a fake color.
Was having a long day, so thanks for the laugh. :D

Nowhere did I claim most people prefer anything. I stated that most people can comfortably touch most of the screen area on a 3.5" screen much better than a 4"+ screen.

I also stated that the iPhone's screen is an IPS panel. Here's the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel) in case you think all LCDs are the same or something ludicrous.

AMOLED panels produce a FALSE color. It is brighter than should be. It is more vivid that should be. By should be, I mean what the color was intended to be by the creator of the image or media source.

The rest of us who aren't completely ignorant and trolling are laughing at you.

----------

Lots of us have such phones and don't agree.

Two-thirds of Android phones sold last year were 4" or more. That's 160 million phones that apparently people didn't find too big to use.

Some even fit pockets better than the iPhone, because they're not as bulky.

Heck, I have a 4.6" screen, and it's neither unwieldly nor hard to pocket. My friends and family with iPhones often play with it and wish Apple had the same size.

Your family and friends are hardly an adequate sample pool to generate meaningful conclusions from. I could say the same thing about my family and friends but they are just a few people compared with the rest of the world. Completely meaningless. I could

Bulky? Are you kidding me? Do some basic math, the extra length and width of the 4.6" screen takes up more area AND volume than a few mm in thickness. That's only Android phones you are extrapolating conclusions from. There's also iPhone users, Windows Phone users, dumb phone users and people who don't even use phones and/or smartphones.

Explain to me why Android is malware-ridden and iOS is not. More access does not equate to more personal data stolen.

I'm not going to bother replying to any more of these comments. If Android is as good as you say, then how come half of Verizon's smartphones sold in Q1 are iPhones?

BlizzardBolt
Apr 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Nowhere did I claim most people prefer anything. I stated that most people can comfortably touch most of the screen area on a 3.5" screen much better than a 4"+ screen.

I also stated that the iPhone's screen is an IPS panel. Here's the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel) in case you think all LCDs are the same or something ludicrous.

AMOLED panels produce a FALSE color. It is brighter than should be. It is more vivid that should be. By should be, I mean what the color was intended to be by the creator of the image or media source.

----------

Your family and friends are hardly an adequate sample pool to generate meaningful conclusions from. I could say the same thing about my family and friends but they are just a few people compared with the rest of the world. Completely meaningless. I could

Bulky? Are you kidding me? Do some basic math, the extra length and width of the 4.6" screen takes up more area AND volume than a few mm in thickness. That's only Android phones you are extrapolating conclusions from. There's also iPhone users, Windows Phone users, dumb phone users and people who don't even use phones and/or smartphones.

Explain to me why Android is malware-ridden and iOS is not. More access does not equate to more personal data stolen.

I'm not going to bother replying to any more of these comments. If Android is as good as you say, then how come half of Verizon's smartphones sold in Q1 are iPhones?

Apple is a brand name that's why

Like the people that buy Beats heaphones, Nike Sneakers, BMW cars, they buy it for the brand name. iPhone is still a "cool" device but it lacks in functionality and aesthetics.

zigzagg321
Apr 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
Well the phone looks nice and its features are nice, but its not running iOS so I couldn't consider it at all. I like the "I don't have to mess with it and it does so much cool stuff and it just works"

Too much work to make those droids as cool, and when will they become as smooth as iOS?

That being said,

If you like Android OS, the Galaxy looks like a very nice option.

paul117
Apr 19, 2012, 11:05 PM
i had the samsung galaxy s gt-i9000 and it was my first and last experience with android it was horrible it would take 5 minutes for me to be able to navigate the menu's as it was lagging bad 10 minutes for it to be usable from pressing the power button to turn it on, i couldn't answer phone calls as the touch screen would become unresponsive it was like running windows vista on 256mb of ram after that experience i vowed never to touch another android.

DanteMann
Apr 20, 2012, 12:30 AM
Nowhere did I claim most people prefer anything.

Well you said 3.5 inches is perfect for most people. Again, please tell me if you conducted a survey to come to this conclusion. I would like the complete results of this survey.

Another statement where you're speaking for more than just yourself. Was there another survey done to conclude this as well. Or are you a representative of the blind followers?

You really seem upset. Buddy, Apple's just a packaging company. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get so upset if people disagree with you.
Enjoy your 3.5 inches. ;)

lilo777
Apr 20, 2012, 12:54 AM

When one OS (iOS) come only on one phone (essentially) and one screen size, the screen size may be technically not be a functionality of the OS but the two are clearly inseparable.

----------

i had the samsung galaxy s gt-i9000 and it was my first and last experience with android it was horrible it would take 5 minutes for me to be able to navigate the menu's as it was lagging bad 10 minutes for it to be usable from pressing the power button to turn it on, i couldn't answer phone calls as the touch screen would become unresponsive it was like running windows vista on 256mb of ram after that experience i vowed never to touch another android.

And now, compared to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S feels this way (a bit slow and definitely outdated device).

j4zb4
Apr 20, 2012, 01:56 AM

You have a lot of free time to troll around... Get a life...

and yea... I saw the quality of Android apps in the year I was on it... The 3 year old *crap* apps are better than the latest ones on Android... And the some decent ones which I downloaded were apparently not compatible with my phone... lol... Hail Fragmentation...

Stealthipad
Apr 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
You have a lot of free time to troll around... Get a life...

and yea... I saw the quality of Android apps in the year I was on it... The 3 year old *crap* apps are better than the latest ones on Android... And the some decent ones which I downloaded were apparently not compatible with my phone... lol... Hail Fragmentation...

You now hurt my feelings!:p

Rogifan
Apr 20, 2012, 06:20 AM
Apple is a brand name that's why

Like the people that buy Beats heaphones, Nike Sneakers, BMW cars, they buy it for the brand name. iPhone is still a "cool" device but it lacks in functionality and aesthetics, in my opinion.
Fixed it for you.

apollo1444
Apr 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
its basically a galaxy nexus but its called galaxy 3

chambone
Apr 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
What are your thoughts on the Galaxy S III?

It will most likely have beefed up specifications, still run Android and still have a laggy interface. In short, business as usual at Samsung. And the spec-whores will lap it up like ice cream. Next.

fertilized-egg
Apr 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
And the spec-whores will lap it up like ice cream. Next.

If it does have what's in the rumors leaked so far (http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/20/2961981/galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300-test-case-leak), there's nothing really stand out in specs either. Everyone has their 720P HD resolution already and Meizu has announced a phone using the same Samsung quadcore Exynos chip. Also HTC's Krait-based One X phone will likely outperform it in the lightly threaded appls, not to mention Tegra3 phones, etc, which all have respectable specs.

Perhaps they'll announced a A15 version but wonder when that'll get released?

It does show the perils of being in a commodity market. I know it'll do well but it looks like all others will have competitive products against Samsung, using the same OS. Even Huawei has announced a phone with great specs (http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_d_quad-4568.php) and everyone will be pressured to compete against each other by having skins hated by all tech journals.

naths
Apr 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
I wonder if the SGS3 will be as well built and as good spec as the HTC One X, i mean thats their target, i can't see samsung worrying to much about the iPhone 4S anymore,it's beginning to look very very dated, and yes in desperate need of changing!

chambone
Apr 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
If it does have what's in the rumors leaked so far (http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/20/2961981/galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300-test-case-leak), there's nothing really stand out in specs either.

It doesn't matter. The sheep will line up to buy it regardless. All that matters is that it's the latest model.

VulchR
Apr 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Four pages of debate about an unreleased Android phone in an iPhone forum. Impressive. :rolleyes:

matttye
Apr 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
Looks like a decent upgrade if the rumoured specs are even close to hitting the mark, but for me I think I'm mostly wanting new software features now rather than hardware. Galaxy s2 is extremely efficient already.

The rumoured "s cloud" (iCloud rival) may be what sways me to get one.

However having an iPhone to sync with my iPad would be great..it's just that the current gen iPhone isnt good enough for me. Want a bigger screen. :(

matttye
Apr 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
Fixed it for you.

Anything that's not a fact is an opinion, you don't need to explicitly state that something is an opinion. I think most people are intelligent enough to know.. :rolleyes:

DanteMann
Apr 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
http://renecuartero.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

Mr. Incredible
Apr 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
http://cdn3.mos.techradar.com//art/mobile_phones/Samsung/GalaxyS3/GalaxyS3InviteFull-580-100.jpg

On May 3rd, Meet The Next Galaxy (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-release-date-news-and-rumours-1051525)

matttye
Apr 22, 2012, 07:28 AM
Image (http://cdn3.mos.techradar.com//art/mobile_phones/Samsung/GalaxyS3/GalaxyS3InviteFull-580-100.jpg)

On May 3rd, Meet The Next Galaxy (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-release-date-news-and-rumours-1051525)

If that advertisement image is supposed to be a spoiler, then the liquid metal rumour may be more attributable to Samsung than Apple :P

Hastings101
Apr 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Not interested because I don't like Android. I'm jelly of the hardware under the hood though, I wish they'd put that processor in a Windows Phone or the next iPhone.

GKDAIR
Apr 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
I had an android phone after my Iphone 3G and I had nothing but problems with it. The pros did not outweigh the cons one bit, I was so glad when I got my 4S I will never buy another android product because of that one phone, bleck.

tekno
Apr 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
I had an android phone after my Iphone 3G and I had nothing but problems with it. The pros did not outweigh the cons one bit, I was so glad when I got my 4S I will never buy another android product because of that one phone, bleck.

I find different people's experiences with technology fascinating. My experience is the mirror opposite of yours - I found the iPhone was getting tired, was underwhelmed when I got the 4S, but have found that the Galaxy S2 has reignited my excitement about smart phones.

ChazUK
Apr 22, 2012, 10:40 AM

Which handset was it out of interest?

GKDAIR
Apr 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
Which handset was it out of interest?

It was an HTC Inspire 4G

ChazUK
Apr 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
It was an HTC Inspire 4G

Thanks. You must be but one example of why HTC had such a terrible year last year with some pretty sub-standard hardware.

Spectrum Abuser
Apr 22, 2012, 10:49 AM

Giuly
Apr 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.
1) My iPhone 3G didn't feel cheap, yet the back was pure plastic.
2) The Lumia features an unibody polycarbonate (yes, that's plastic) design. It's the best example of how to use plastic to design a phone (and then ruin it with WP7).

If you replace the polycarbonate on the Lumia with Liquimetal, WP7 with a build of MeeGo that supports Android apps and throw in a retina display, you'd have the ultimate iPhone rival. Someone may send Nokia that memo.

dccorona
Apr 22, 2012, 11:44 AM

I think there's a difference between build quality/durability and impact resistance. There's this concept out there that the iPhone has bad build quality/durability because if you drop it it cracks. But in terms of how solid it feels and the quality of materials used, its the best out there, and its certainly very durable because the glass/metal stands up to wear and tear better than plastic. It has poor impact resistance, but phones really aren't meant to be dropped...you're talking about close to $1000 worth of cutting edge technology here, it should be taken care of. Cases/cheap phones are out there for the clumsy.

And, having a samsung focus and an iPhone, as much as I adore the focus, its because of windows phone. Not the device. The device seems cheap, the plastic makes it feel like a toy, not a tool. That's what people mean about the build quality I think. When you spend that much money on a device (GS3 will likely be $300 with contract), you want it to feel premium, and even though the GS3 will be industry leading, it won't feel like that in your hand (if they keep the plastic designs of older phones, this is all conjecture), and thats a problem

littleebo356
Apr 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
i myself am very interested in the s3 , my 4s has been the worst iPhone i have ever had, (on my 4th one!) calls dropping out , bad static, crashing apps etc etc, i thought the call issues had to be the network but i was wrong, tried my sim in another phone , and no calls dropped out , no static, i will deffo be leaving the iPhone fan scene this year ,which is a shame as i used to love the iPhone.

TheSuperSteve
Apr 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
Your thoughts on the Galaxy S III

Well... you asked, here are my thoughts:

Its just another Android phone to me. I am completely indifferent to it.

Ke1ington
Apr 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
2) The Lumia features an unibody polycarbonate (yes, that's plastic) design. It's the best example of how to use plastic to design a phone (and then ruin it with WP7).

I switched from the 4 to the Lumia and lasted three days. Let me tell you, the operating system was the best part about that phone. WP7 is awesome but after using a phone of glass and steel for the past two years I couldn't settle for plastic.

langers2010
Apr 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
If that advertisement image is supposed to be a spoiler, then the liquid metal rumour may be more attributable to Samsung than Apple :P

Except apple own the rights to liquidmetal in consumer electronics!

Stealthipad
Apr 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
I switched from the 4 to the Lumia and lasted three days. Let me tell you, the operating system was the best part about that phone. WP7 is awesome but after using a phone of glass and steel for the past two years I couldn't settle for plastic.

So the fact that the iPhone is made of glass and stainless steel overrides everything else:rolleyes:

matttye
Apr 22, 2012, 12:43 PM

According to the rumour they do..!

onthecouchagain
Apr 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
Apparently there's a countdown from Samsung regarding the next Galaxy. The countdown ends tomorrow though, which is obviously no where near May 3rd.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/22/samsung-countdown-teases-next-galaxy-phone-with-anagram/

Should be interesting....

Lindenhurst
Apr 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
I don't know how samsung do it, but their android phones seem to operate so much more smoothly than all the others

the SGS2 is totally lag free
So is my Samsung galaxy note.

----------

I think there's a difference between build quality/durability and impact resistance. There's this concept out there that the iPhone has bad build quality/durability because if you drop it it cracks. But in terms of how solid it feels and the quality of materials used, its the best out there, and its certainly very durable because the glass/metal stands up to wear and tear better than plastic. It has poor impact resistance, but phones really aren't meant to be dropped...you're talking about close to $1000 worth of cutting edge technology here, it should be taken care of. Cases/cheap phones are out there for the clumsy.

And, having a samsung focus and an iPhone, as much as I adore the focus, its because of windows phone. Not the device. The device seems cheap, the plastic makes it feel like a toy, not a tool. That's what people mean about the build quality I think. When you spend that much money on a device (GS3 will likely be $300 with contract), you want it to feel premium, and even though the GS3 will be industry leading, it won't feel like that in your hand (if they keep the plastic designs of older phones, this is all conjecture), and thats a problem

The Focus was a cheap phone wasn't it?

----------

So the fact that the iPhone is made of glass and stainless steel overrides everything else:rolleyes:

I guess for some it does. Most use a case anyway, so for me it is not as much of an issue. Sammy has made some inexpensive handsets and also makes some Higher end models which feel like premium handsets.
You usually get what you pay for. The Iphone is a $600 phone, so it should feel solid in the hand. Set it down a bit hard and that nice glass doesn't hold up though. Drop a plastic phone and it won't break as easy.
Many choices for different folks.

kdarling
Apr 22, 2012, 02:21 PM

The polished rocks in the ad are probably referring to the (rumored) fact that the S3 will have a ceramic back.

daneoni
Apr 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
I simply can't bring myself to own a Samsung Android device. I hate TouchWiz and hate how they treat their customers in terms of software updates (The GSII is just starting to get ICS which came out last year).

So Galaxy S III or V...me couldn't care less.

M5RahuL
Apr 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Tick Tock ... http://www.tgeltaayehxnx.com/

I love my GS 2 on Sprint!!! Amazing device, lag free and gorgeous screen!! :)

matttye
Apr 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
The polished rocks in the ad are probably referring to the (rumored) fact that the S3 will have a ceramic back.

Polished rocks or metal in liquid form...could go either way if you ask me.

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 22, 2012, 03:19 PM
Well it already fails because of Android OS.

But I am quite anxious from a Hardware stand point. I am hoping Samsung can match Apple quality hardware. I will forever be Apple's costumer but I like to know Apple isn't the only one trying to make great products. I'd rather have a world full of beautiful product and Apple not having control over everything than Apple controlling the industry and having **** competition.

Yumunum
Apr 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
Tick Tock ... http://www.tgeltaayehxnx.com/

I love my GS 2 on Sprint!!! Amazing device, lag free and gorgeous screen!! :)

Can't wait...

Unless it's a countdown to another countdown. That'd be good trolling.

onthecouchagain
Apr 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Most are speculating the Samsung countdown is to a teaser video fo the SIII.

Mr. Incredible
Apr 23, 2012, 05:07 AM
http://www.tgeltaayehxnx.com/

Less than an Hour left. :D

Mr. Incredible
Apr 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
Damn, page isn't loading due to the high volume. :/

Mr. Incredible
Apr 23, 2012, 06:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnVU8R6mAU&feature=player_embedded

sk1wbw
Apr 23, 2012, 06:33 AM

Someone said it would be using Liquidmetal. Could this be mistaken for ceramic, which I keep hearing it will be made of?

DanteMann
Apr 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnVU8R6mAU&feature=player_embedded

Shocker at 00:51. Totally made my day.
I'm guessing curved screen, ceramic body, and 4.5 inch 720P non-pentile screen. This phone is going to be the phone to beat again. S2 won smartphone of the year in 2011, this will definitely take it for 2012. Apple is not into going balls to the wall with high end hardware. They're not into future proofing their phones. Just look at iPhone 4 to 4S.

sk1wbw
Apr 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
I'm guessing curved screen, ceramic body, and 4.5 inch 720P non-pentile screen. This phone is going to be the phone to beat again. S2 won smartphone of the year in 2011, this will definitely take it for 2012. Apple is not into going balls to the wall with high end hardware. They're not into future proofing their phones. Just look at iPhone 4 to 4S.

You'll still be saying stupid crap like this 30 years from now. Just like people like you said stupid crap like this years ago.

nefan65
Apr 23, 2012, 09:32 AM

No company is into "future proofing"; unless they're complete morons. Samsung, HTC, etc. are no different. Don't believe it? Buy the SGIII, and wait about 18 months. Don't be terribly surprised when they say the new version of Android [Jelly Bean?] won't support the SGIII. Or that you'll have to wait 8 - 10 months for the update, because your handset isn't supported yet, or won't be at all. It's their revenue stream, and how they make $$$. Yet an iPhone 3GS can still run the latest iOS version. Albeit not all the bells/whistles of Retina, or Siri, but it runs it...and on a handset that's closing in on 3 years old...

JediZenMaster
Apr 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
No company is into "future proofing"; unless they're complete morons. Samsung, HTC, etc. are no different. Don't believe it? Buy the SGIII, and wait about 18 months. Don't be terribly surprised when they say the new version of Android [Jelly Bean?] won't support the SGIII. Or that you'll have to wait 8 - 10 months for the update, because your handset isn't supported yet, or won't be at all. It's their revenue stream, and how they make $$$. Yet an iPhone 3GS can still run the latest iOS version. Albeit not all the bells/whistles of Retina, or Siri, but it runs it...and on a handset that's closing in on 3 years old...

Actually that's wrong. I'm both an iOS and android user and the GSII is starting to get updates to ice cream sandwich.

Also the Nexus series which is what i use gets and will get fresher updates because its the pure version of the OS with no OEM Gui placed on top of it

nickchallis92
Apr 23, 2012, 09:55 AM

doesn't exactly run it well does it? Besides at least with android you can update them manually

sk1wbw
Apr 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
doesn't exactly run it well does it? Besides at least with android you can update them manually

You can update an iPhone manually as well. And without waiting for the carrier to release said update, unlike with Android devices.

kdarling
Apr 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
Someone said it would be using Liquidmetal. Could this be mistaken for ceramic, which I keep hearing it will be made of?

LiquidMetal is a commercial name for a particular type of amorphous alloy.

In 2010, Apple bought a perpetual worldwide exclusive license to use LiquidMetal in consumer electronics devices.

So, although Samsung used to use LiquidMetal in some of its phone bezels for scratch resistance before then, Apple has made sure no phone maker can use it any more. At least, not "LiquidMetal" (tm)" :)

--

A radio transparent ceramic back makes far more sense from an internal antenna point of view, anyway, so I think that's what Samsung might use.

Also because of that need, I can't visualize Apple using LiquidMetal for anything more than trim around the iPhone. OTOH, Apple likes form over function, so who knows.

mrbutters
Apr 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Who waits for updates? You can root your phone in 5 minutes and be running the newest software with either a leak or a custom ROM within minutes. Only people who don't know any better wait around 6 months for updates :) most leaks or custom ROMs are ready within hours to a few days. Where is the jailbreak for my 4s in 5.1? It's been what? Almost 2 months now?

sk1wbw
Apr 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
Who waits for updates? You can root your phone in 5 minutes and be running the newest software with either a leak or a custom ROM within minutes. Only people who don't know any better wait around 6 months for updates :) most leaks or custom ROMs are ready within hours to a few days. Where is the jailbreak for my 4s in 5.1? It's been what? Almost 2 months now?

So you have to jailbreak an iPhone to update it?

hot spare
Apr 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
This video is creating a lot of controversy (iOS vs Android simplicity). If anyone wants to join the debate, feel free to spend next 13 mins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

kevinof
Apr 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
You don't have to root android to get the latest updates. Most of the core apps such as gmail, navigation, voice actions, market, browsers etc are all updated outside the OS and have been over the last couple of years. You can pick up a Froyo handset and enjoy the latest of these apps even though the OS not current.

So you have to jailbreak an iPhone to update it?

mrbutters
Apr 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
You don't have to root android to get the latest updates. Most of the core apps such as gmail, navigation, voice actions, market, browsers etc are all updated outside the OS and have been over the last couple of years. You can pick up a Froyo handset and enjoy the latest of these apps even though the OS not current.

This. No, you don't have to jailbreak the iPhone to get the newest OS but thats only once a year. Why is it taking so long to jailbreak 5.1? Android devs can make a device available for root within a few days. Only one phone's hardware and one OS to worry about with iOS 5.1 Rumor has it that Apple is doing things to make it harder to jailbreak. I bet they can get it pretty much locked down by iOS 6 where there won't be any jail breaking at all. Just another example of Apple trying to take more control over what you pay for. Unlike Android where Samsung actually gave some well known devs a few phone for them to test out, build custom ROMs and offered to support them with any help they needed. Also a company like HTC who announced they were going to encrypt their phones backing off and keeping them unlocked after being hit with tons of emails from people saying they would never buy their phones if that happened. I guess some people like Apple having control over everything they buy.

macrazee
Apr 23, 2012, 02:46 PM
My thoughts? Yet another Android phone. Big woop.

Android sucks, always has, always will.

cube
Apr 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
- I hope it has a flexible screen
- Samsung's phone design has been boring so far, unlike Sony Ericsson (but the new Sony phones are FAIL by not having a card slot).
- It's a bummer it won't be 3D, so an unbreakable Galaxy Note is the way to go if you're going to accept not having this feature.

Lindenhurst
Apr 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
My thoughts? Yet another Android phone. Big woop.

Android sucks, always has, always will.

Gee..that was intelligent..:eek:

matttye
Apr 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
This video is creating a lot of controversy (iOS vs Android simplicity). If anyone wants to join the debate, feel free to spend next 13 mins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

iOS simplicity comes from the fact that there's usually only one way to do things, theres hardly any customisation available. Options and customisation are nice for those who know how to use them, but for the not so tech savvy, being able to change everything can be a disaster!

Most things are indeed easier to do in Android when you know how.

I don't think anybody can honestly say that Androids approach to sharing isn't miles ahead of ios...

Navdakilla
Apr 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
All I'm saying is the iPhone 5 better blow people's minds..I will be switching to android if this update is minimal

cynics
Apr 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
All I'm saying is the iPhone 5 better blow people's minds..I will be switching to android if this update is minimal

I doubt it will blow people's minds but I think it will be enough of an upgrade to satisfy the majority.

qwerty123123
Apr 23, 2012, 06:20 PM

didnt they just buy the company? i dont think they bought the rights for it.

blairh
Apr 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
Also the Nexus series which is what i use gets and will get fresher updates because its the pure version of the OS with no OEM Gui placed on top of it

I really like the Nexus. And this is coming from a 3 years plus iPhone user. So the Nexus will get Jelly Bean sooner than the other Androids? That is very interesting. What are your thoughts about the headphone jack on the bottom of the device?

My contract is up this July. I kinda want to ditch my iPhone for a Nexus but I worry that I'll have buyers remorse when I see the next iPhone unveiled this fall. :confused:

onthecouchagain
Apr 23, 2012, 09:50 PM
I really like the Nexus. And this is coming from a 3 years plus iPhone user. So the Nexus will get Jelly Bean sooner than the other Androids? That is very interesting. What are your thoughts about the headphone jack on the bottom of the device?

My contract is up this July. I kinda want to ditch my iPhone for a Nexus but I worry that I'll have buyers remorse when I see the next iPhone unveiled this fall. :confused:

Heh, I love the headphone jack being on the bottom. I always insert my phone in my pocket top-down, meaning the device is upset down in my pocket (the screen facing toward me/my leg).

This just makes more sense when pulling out the phone because I'm grabbing it the way I'd be holding it, so it just comes up and out more naturally.

When I had the 4/4S, it wasn't as natural to have to pull the phone out and sort of "slide" it up in my hand to get the right grip on it to handle.

Also, semi-related/unrelated: I much prefer the sleep/wake button on the right side of my device. My thumb is naturally there, or my index finger when using my left hand. Reaching up to push the sleep button on the iPhone felt unnecessarily "far" to reach.

Just me.

Yumunum
Apr 23, 2012, 09:56 PM
iOS simplicity comes from the fact that there's usually only one way to do things, theres hardly any customisation available. Options and customisation are nice for those who know how to use them, but for the not so tech savvy, being able to change everything can be a disaster!

Most things are indeed easier to do in Android when you know how.

I don't think anybody can honestly say that Androids approach to sharing isn't miles ahead of ios...

Sharing on Android is amazing. I love how connected all the apps are. One of the things I miss from Android. I'd love to switch back when if I see the right opportunity and the right phone. (hopefully the GSIII will be that phone)

blairh
Apr 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
Heh, I love the headphone jack being on the bottom. I always insert my phone in my pocket top-down, meaning the device is upset down in my pocket (the screen facing toward me/my leg).

This just makes more sense when pulling out the phone because I'm grabbing it the way I'd be holding it, so it just comes up and out more naturally.

When I had the 4/4S, it wasn't as natural to have to pull the phone out and sort of "slide" it up in my hand to get the right grip on it to handle.

I've heard this side of the discussion. I've never had a problem with the headphone jack being on the top. Hell I used such a method with my iPod's long before I got my first smartphone (3G iPhone). Also at the gym I use the elliptical machine a lot and it makes sense to have the headphones coming out from the top of my iPhone (it rests in front of me on the machine). If I figured out a way to incorporate the Nexus at the gym I'd have to rest the phone on its side. (Or use an iTouch.)

I'm assuming you have a Nexus? How do you like it?

JediZenMaster
Apr 23, 2012, 10:45 PM

I dont mind the headset jack on the bottom and if all things go well hopefully it will get jelly bean.

I love iOS and in the past i have tryed other android devices and then swore off of it. But im in nerd love with ics and the galaxy nexus

ixodes
Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
I like both platforms. My SGS2 has been every bit as stable & reliable as my iPhone 4S.

Having experience with both since their original models were introduced has allowed me to enjoy the fun of modifying (jailbreak in Applespeak) each platform to my liking.

Well optimized, my Galaxy S II is as fast & smooth as my iPhone. Since I've never been one to place a higher priority on sheer numbers, the fact that Apple offers more apps is meaningless to me. Both platforms have the apps I use, so I'm doing very well.

Beyond those thoughts this thread is premature. The SGS III is not readily available in the USA. I will buy it upon release. I've had several Samsungs thus far and they've been great. In addition the HTC models I've had are also quite good. I simply prefer Samsung. Side by side, build quality is excellent for both.

I like a light phone, it's not 1960, the plastics of today don't have to be an inch thick to do the job. A thin & light case is not inferior, only in the eyes of those who may not be familiar with modern materials.

onthecouchagain
Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
I'm assuming you have a Nexus? How do you like it?

Wrote up some impressions here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14719805#post14719805

and here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14750027#post14750027 EDIT: Apparently ICS 4.04 update fixes all the [minor] complaints I write about in this link. Haven't gotten the update quite yet, so make that as you will.

In short:

Hardware wise, the GN is a better experience. The 4S may have a few areas beating it, but they are wholly unimportant in the long run (I'd take HSPA+, larger screen, etc. over things like better material). 4S definitely has storage size and camera on its side though.

Software wise is where the experience really shines. ICS has iOS beat on almost every front. Better keyboard (we're talking leaps and bounds), better browser, better mail, easier to use and access to things (thanks to widgets, shortcuts, toggles, direct dial), better contacts, better search, navigation, etc.

Read the two links for more in depth opinions (I think I'm fair in my impressions). And for what it's worth, owned a Nexus S, iPhone 4, 4S, and now the GN.

Good luck.

blairh
Apr 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
I dont mind the headset jack on the bottom and if all things go well hopefully it will get jelly bean.

I love iOS and in the past i have tryed other android devices and then swore off of it. But im in nerd love with ics and the galaxy nexus

Hopefully get Jelly Bean? It's not a given that you can get the latest OS at some point?

onthecouchagain
Apr 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
One more thing Blairh, not sure if you plan to pick up the GSM unlocked version or go with Verizon. From what I understand, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus isn't a true Nexus device (in that they have to approve the update from Google before it gets released to their users -- sad really, to tarnish the "Nexus" name like that) and apparently has a slew of glitches and issues, none of which, in my experience, exists with the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

So, just a heads up. If there are GN Verizon users floating around here, maybe they can chime in.

blairh
Apr 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
Wrote up some impressions here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14719805#post14719805

and here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14750027#post14750027 EDIT: Apparently ICS 4.04 update fixes all the [minor] complaints I write about in this link. Haven't gotten the update quite yet, so make that as you will.

In short:

Hardware wise, the GN is a better experience. The 4S may have a few areas beating it, but they are wholly unimportant in the long run (I'd take HSPA+, larger screen, etc. over things like better material). 4S definitely has storage size and camera on its side though.

Software wise is where the experience really shines. ICS has iOS beat on almost every front. Better keyboard (we're talking leaps and bounds), better browser, better mail, easier to use and access to things (thanks to widgets, shortcuts, toggles, direct dial), better contacts, better search, navigation, etc.

Read the two links for more in depth opinions (I think I'm fair in my impressions). And for what it's worth, owned a Nexus S, iPhone 4, 4S, and now the GN.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for this reply.

Are you annoyed/worried that you haven't received 4.0.4 just yet?

I saw you praised Chrome in the second link. I'm assuming that's what you meant by 'better browser'?

How do you feel battery life compares with the iP4 & 4S?

Sorry for the follow-up questions. It's funny because I haven't paid much attention to the Nexus since its debut. I've been giving the One X a hard look (I'm on AT&T) but Sense looks lame compared to stock ICS and I really would prefer the on screen buttons versus the capacitive ones found on the One X. Also like the idea of the Nexus potentially getting updates sooner.

My AT&T contract ends in July and by then I'll have a better idea of my situation. (What the SIII is all about, what iOS 6 has to offer.) I really do like the look and feel of the Nexus. However I fear making the move and then having buyer's remorse when the next iPhone is unveiled.

----------

One more thing Blairh, not sure if you plan to pick up the GSM unlocked version or go with Verizon. From what I understand, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus isn't a true Nexus device (in that they have to approve the update from Google before it gets released to their users -- sad really, to tarnish the "Nexus" name like that) and apparently has a slew of glitches and issues, none of which, in my experience, exists with the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

So, just a heads up. If there are GN Verizon users floating around here, maybe they can chime in.

If I make the jump it would be with Verizon. (Unless AT&T by chance gets the Nexus in the upcoming months.)

I've come across a few articles regarding the 'glitches and issues'. My impression was that it wasn't a huge deal but I could be very wrong.

onthecouchagain
Apr 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Blairh, happy to answer your questions.

1) I'm eager for 4.04, but my understanding is that they just started rolling it out to users a few days ago. It's a shame Google can't roll out system-wide like Apple does, but a week or two wait isn't bad. Google certainly does not have the "Nexus"-ness practiced down well yet. Having said that, a lot consider this a very minor issue since it's so easy to unlock the bootloader, root, and install the 4.04 update yourself, if you're so inclines. Plenty of very smart, helpful people over at the XDA forums to guide you through that.

2) Yes. Chrome is in beta, but it is already a better browsing experience than Safari on the iPhone. I love Safari on my iPad, but on the iPhone, it is cumbersome, cramped, and unintuitive. A recent thread right here on this forum pointed out the lack of auto text-resizing. Just one of many frustrating things with Safari on the iPhone. Chrome is intuitive, usually fast, and just easier to use. Switching tabs is a breeze; it's at least a 3 step process with Safari iPhone.

3) Battery life is significantly better (yes, you read that right) on my GSM GN than when i was using the 4S. I attached two pics to show you my battery life from today. I didn't use it too heavily today (texts and email throughout the day, music commuting to and from work, a few phone calls, a little bit of gaming... nothing heavy) and I'm still at 49% after nearly 14 hours unplugged. Honestly, even I'm a little surprised.

I understand your position. It's up to you what you want to do, but come July, you'll be close to the Apple keynote for iOS 6 and the next gen. iPhone. Sounds like you're better off waiting if you can hold out. And I hate to complicate your choices further, but if iOS 6 and the next gen. iPhone disappoint, the next Nexus would also be a few months away (usually November/December release). Galaxy SIII will be interesting too.

Tough choices, but the good news is it's hard to go wrong with anyone.

Hope that helps.

Yumunum
Apr 23, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hopefully get Jelly Bean? It's not a given that you can get the latest OS at some point?

I think it's expected that the Galaxy Nexus will get Jelly Bean. For example, the Nexus One got Gingerbread, and the Nexus S got Ice Cream Sandwich... actually... not all versions of the Nexus S have got it yet.

Yes, I know, it's sad.
But keep in mind that a person could argue that they don't need timely updates. Or that even without the latest update, their phone is still amazing. That may depend on what kind of update it is though, and whether it causes compatibility issues. For example, Google Chrome requires Android 4.0 and up. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&hl=en) How many phones actually have ICS? Not many. Again, this may depend on the user, the update, and the new opportunities given with the update.

A person could also root their phone. Many people would use ROMs/rooting to argue that the manufacturers'/carriers' slow update times don't matter, because they can install whatever new ROMs are out. But there's a problem with this argument. Rooting your device can be against your carriers' terms of service, and void your warranty. On top of that, some people may not want to go through the hassle. Not all Android phones have 1-click root tools. It's not always as easy as it sounds. By using custom ROMs, you may also lose good features that were in the original firmware. Features that were advertised for the phone, features that were part of why the phone was great in the first place. So the ROM/root argument can not be used as a universal answer to the update problem, or any other problems that would be solved using ROMs/rooting. If a person wants to possibly break their carriers' terms of service, void their phones warranty (your $500+ phone may have problems and you won't be able to replace it), possibly go through hassle to root their device and upkeep it, and lose features originally placed on the phone, then... they can. But that is certainly not the ideal solution for many people.

In conclusion, ROMs/rooting is not a universal answer. A large number (if not all) Android phones are unreliable with OS updates.
You have to ask yourself the questions: Will I root or not? If not, can I live with a phone that may get untimely updates and/or few updates, or possibly none at all?

If somebody disagrees with this post I invite you to mention it.

blairh
Apr 23, 2012, 11:52 PM
Blairh, happy to answer your questions.

1) I'm eager for 4.04, but my understanding is that they just started rolling it out to users a few days ago. It's a shame Google can't roll out system-wide like Apple does, but a week or two wait isn't bad. Google certainly does not have the "Nexus"-ness practiced down well yet. Having said that, a lot consider this a very minor issue since it's so easy to unlock the bootloader, root, and install the 4.04 update yourself, if you're so inclines. Plenty of very smart, helpful people over at the XDA forums to guide you through that.

2) Yes. Chrome is in beta, but it is already a better browsing experience than Safari on the iPhone. I love Safari on my iPad, but on the iPhone, it is cumbersome, cramped, and unintuitive. A recent thread right here on this forum pointed out the lack of auto text-resizing. Just one of many frustrating things with Safari on the iPhone. Chrome is intuitive, usually fast, and just easier to use. Switching tabs is a breeze; it's at least a 3 step process with Safari iPhone.

3) Battery life is significantly better (yes, you read that right) on my GSM GN than when i was using the 4S. I attached two pics to show you my battery life from today. I didn't use it too heavily today (texts and email throughout the day, music commuting to and from work, a few phone calls, a little bit of gaming... nothing heavy) and I'm still at 49% after nearly 14 hours unplugged. Honestly, even I'm a little surprised.

I understand your position. It's up to you what you want to do, but come July, you'll be close to the Apple keynote for iOS 6 and the next gen. iPhone. Sounds like you're better off waiting if you can hold out. And I hate to complicate your choices further, but if iOS 6 and the next gen. iPhone disappoint, the next Nexus would also be a few months away (usually November/December release). Galaxy SIII will be interesting too.

Tough choices, but the good news is it's hard to go wrong with anyone.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so so much for your detailed and incredibly helpful replies.

Am I correct in assuming that your GSM Nexus does not feature LTE? And if that is the case, doesn't that help a great deal with battery life? I've been reading up on the reviews for the Nexus directly on the Verizon site and quite a few mention that the 4G LTE performance tends to drain the battery. (I'm aware of the extended battery.)

I was completely unaware that a new Nexus model was coming at the end of the year. (Pretty obvious now that I think about it.) Last year the Nexus was unveiled two weeks after the 4S keynote. Perhaps that means I should just wait and see what October has in store. That would be the smart move. I'm just so tired of my iP4. (But I'll probably wait :cool:.)

onthecouchagain
Apr 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
You'd have to do a little more research regarding the battery life between 3G, Hspa+, and 4G Lte. But I think you're correct to say hspa+ drains less than 4g lte but I believe also drains more than 3G. Personally, I feel hspa+ is the best of both worlds. You get great download and upload speeds while not taking too much of a hit in battery.

My understanding is that the galaxy nexus lte on Verizon is pretty harsh on the battery. Sounds like if youre willing to wait until October, might as well got iPhone or new nexus.

If you truly can't wait, galaxy s iii might be your answer. I'm sure it'll be an impressive device. We shall see may 3rd. And so, the topic of this thread is back on course. :)

DanteMann
Apr 24, 2012, 12:12 AM
And benchmarks on the prototype are already leaking. This could get scary.

http://i42.tinypic.com/zqvdu.jpg

Just for comparison. The iPad 3. Didn't think a phone could hold it's own against a tablet of the iPad's caliber. .

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/58124-image/ipad-III-graphics-benchmark.png

Yumunum
Apr 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
You'd have to do a little more research regarding the battery life between 3G, Hspa+, and 4G Lte. But I think you're correct to say hspa+ drains less than 4g lte but I believe also drains more than 3G. Personally, I feel hspa+ is the best of both worlds. You get great download and upload speeds while not taking too much of a hit in battery.

My understanding is that the galaxy nexus lte on Verizon is pretty harsh on the battery. Sounds like if youre willing to wait until October, might as well got iPhone or new nexus.

If you truly can't wait, galaxy s iii might be your answer. I'm sure it'll be an impressive device. We shall see may 3rd. And so, the topic of this thread is back on course. :)
Like I mentioned in the first post, Samsung mentions having phones with better battery lives' this year. It'd make sense that their flagship phone, the Galaxy S III, would have the battery life they're talking about. Just wait till May 3! Not too much longer.

Btw,
DanteMann brought up an interesting graphic in the post before me. Find more info on Slashgear's article: http://www.slashgear.com/galaxy-s-iii-benchmark-leak-tips-new-graphics-king-23224148/

That's pretty interesting. Samsung already made Android crazy fast. This will be amazing, if true. I won't be surprised if Samsung impresses us. The GSII was a large leap from the GSI. The 3rd gen might be a large leap too.

Ke1ington
Apr 24, 2012, 09:08 AM

In this case, yes. Build quality matters to me. You're rolling your eyes at what? My inability to switch to a phone that feels like something you'd find in the toy aisle at Walmart?

Mature.

blairh
Apr 24, 2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks again for your input. I actually thought of another idea. I could sell my iP4 and purchase an unlocked GSM Nexus. I believe this would allow me to stay on AT&T without extending my current contract. I get to mess around with a Nexus for the months leading up-to the Apple and Nexus unveilings in October.

Like you said, back to the SIII talk. Thanks again for your help (and everybody else too).

Yumunum
Apr 24, 2012, 09:42 AM
The guy wasn't completely justified in his post, but maybe you can see a reason why he'd roll his eyes.

The phone materials will not effect the software, or the other aspects of the phone. The materials might even be studier and less damageable. But it sounds like a deal breaker to you.

So we can all put our priorities where we want, and your priority is a design like the iPhones, apparently. Not saying there's anything wrong with that. But you can probably see that for many (if not most) people, it wouldn't make sense for them to put those priorities on a design like the iPhone.

SurferMan
Apr 24, 2012, 10:30 AM

If you truly can't wait, galaxy s iii might be your answer. I'm sure it'll be an impressive device. We shall see may 3rd. And so, the topic of this thread is back on course. :)Totally agree with hspa+, I don't notice anymore drain over 3G, but you get awesome speed and great battery life. LTE is great, but the current chipsets are still inefficient, the only Android devices lasting long with LTE have huge batteries. There have honestly been times when using my GSII that I had wifi off and didn't realize it b/c hspa+ was so fast and smooth.

Hopefully the new chipsets for LTE are more efficient like is expect this year for the next gen chips.

I don't know if the GSIII will be world wide though, most likely like before where the GSII was released over seas in May, and the US carriers didn't get their variants in different sizes/configurations until like November when I got mine. Still too early to have an opinion on the GSIII as nothing has really been released, but no doubt the phone will kick ass like the GSII did.

saberz
Apr 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Hmm, T-mobile customers might be a bit screwed concerning updates to ICS.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/04/samsung-devices-confirmed-for-android-40-dont-include-one-galaxy-s-ii.ars

Also Samsung is running a bit late on deploying the update to other carriers. This is one reason why I'm still on the sideline (also waiting to see what Apple announces).

onthecouchagain
Apr 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks again for your input. I actually thought of another idea. I could sell my iP4 and purchase an unlocked GSM Nexus. I believe this would allow me to stay on AT&T without extending my current contract. I get to mess around with a Nexus for the months leading up-to the Apple and Nexus unveilings in October.

Like you said, back to the SIII talk. Thanks again for your help (and everybody else too).

Incredibly relevant to your decision!: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-gets-back-phone-sales-business-offering-galaxy-nexus-399

SurferMan
Apr 24, 2012, 10:54 AM
Incredibly relevant to your decision!: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-gets-back-phone-sales-business-offering-galaxy-nexus-399Damn, unlocked Nexus for 399 that works across across all bands inc GSM... that's a bargain.

onthecouchagain
Apr 24, 2012, 10:55 AM
Damn, unlocked GSM Nexus for 399... that's a bargain.

Yeah. I'm a bit peeved since I bought mine for about $100+ dollars more just a few weeks ago. =T

Fireblade
Apr 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
@blairh

This isn`that bad:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/google-galaxy-nexus-unlocked-on-sale-gsm-hspa/

blairh
Apr 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
@blairh

This isn`that bad:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/google-galaxy-nexus-unlocked-on-sale-gsm-hspa/

The timing of this story is completely crazy given what I just posted last night. If I can get this and use it without having to extend my current AT&T contract I might just do it. Then come October I'll see where things stand.

berngain
Apr 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
I am looking forward to it, in fact, it's already on my list as my next purchase considering that my experience with the Galaxy S II has been pretty awesome so far.

mrbutters
Apr 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
The "pentaband" part means that it'll work on AT&T and T-Mobile 3G/4G networks.

Theres the deal breaker. AT&T's LTE isn't great out here and T Mobile is a joke. You have to use wifi calling just to get a signal in your house and their "4G" is slower than my 3G speeds from Verizon. Oh well.

onthecouchagain
Apr 24, 2012, 02:07 PM

Theres the deal breaker. AT&T's LTE isn't great out here and T Mobile is a joke. You have to use wifi calling just to get a signal in your house and their "4G" is slower than my 3G speeds from Verizon. Oh well.

Oh, I didn't realize your area of reception was the same for everyone else in America.

SurferMan
Apr 24, 2012, 03:16 PM

Theres the deal breaker. AT&T's LTE isn't great out here and T Mobile is a joke. You have to use wifi calling just to get a signal in your house and their "4G" is slower than my 3G speeds from Verizon. Oh well.where do you live? Boonies lol j/k . We travel a lot and and anywhere we go with AT&T we almost always have hspa+ on the GSII and 4S. I live in South FL and hspa+ ranges anywhere from like 3 down if heavy traffic or up to 9 down depending on time of day. Pretty damn quick though, I've got over 20+ down on my home network, and had times where I had wifi off and didn't notice b/c hspa+ is so quick browsing.

Timzer
Apr 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
OMG!!! I wonder when those benchmarks were taken. Just have to wait till May.3. So considering that anyone wanting an Android phone has an ocean of options, the buzz around this one Android phone is absolutely off the hook. No wonder Apple is so fixed on suing them at every turn. As much as some people may not like TouchWiz, Sammy's Galaxy S series phones are just the smoothest of all Android phones. Yes the GS2 is smoother than the GN.

mrbutters
Apr 25, 2012, 02:50 AM
where do you live? Boonies lol j/k . We travel a lot and and anywhere we go with AT&T we almost always have hspa+ on the GSII and 4S. I live in South FL and hspa+ ranges anywhere from like 3 down if heavy traffic or up to 9 down depending on time of day. Pretty damn quick though, I've got over 20+ down on my home network, and had times where I had wifi off and didn't notice b/c hspa+ is so quick browsing.

I live in southern California and AT&T is garbage here. Of course you get great speeds in southern Fl. There are more people in a 2 mile radius here then your entire city. Doesn't seem to effect Verizon though but they alo own 80% of the towers

DanteMann
Apr 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
CPU Confirmed for Next Galaxy Phone

From Samsung Via Engadget:

Samsung boasts that the new 32nm 1.4GHz quad-core processor flaunts twice the processing power over its predecessor, thanks to its High-K Metal Gate (HKMG) low-power technology. The net energy savings? About 20-percent. "The application processor is a crucial element in providing our customers with a PC-like experience on mobile devices,"

Bottom line: Badass

Yumunum
Apr 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
CPU Confirmed for Next Galaxy Phone

From Samsung Via Engadget:

Samsung boasts that the new 32nm 1.4GHz quad-core processor flaunts twice the processing power over its predecessor, thanks to its High-K Metal Gate (HKMG) low-power technology. The net energy savings? About 20-percent. "The application processor is a crucial element in providing our customers with a PC-like experience on mobile devices,"

Bottom line: Badass

Saw this too... sounds great. The GS2 performed great. This will perform even better. (not that we didn't expect that... but still)

cwwilson
Apr 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Anyone see this from Engadget? A supposed rundown of the performance of the S3. I must say, this is quite possibly the most impressive cellular device in the history of mankind.

It's funny, I've always been a huge iPhone fan, and I can see it now....Apple will make the same exact iPhone we have now only with the A5X inside and with 1GB RAM. They'll call it "the NEW iPhone" and everyone will be disappointed. Meanwhile, Samsung continues to improve their Galaxy line of smartphones with the latest and greatest tech.

But hey, Apple is swimming in money made from years old tech so what's the hurry to innovate?

nefan65
Apr 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
Anyone see this from Engadget? A supposed rundown of the performance of the S3. I must say, this is quite possibly the most impressive cellular device in the history of mankind.

It's funny, I've always been a huge iPhone fan, and I can see it now....Apple will make the same exact iPhone we have now only with the A5X inside and with 1GB RAM. They'll call it "the NEW iPhone" and everyone will be disappointed. Meanwhile, Samsung continues to improve their Galaxy line of smartphones with the latest and greatest tech.

But hey, Apple is swimming in money made from years old tech so what's the hurry to innovate?

If I recall, I heard the same thing about the last Nexus. Don't get me wrong, it's sold well. However, it's more than specs. This discussion/argument has been going on forever and a day. If you're a tech freak, then don't bother buying anything Apple, because you'll be disappointed. Go get the latest Android handset(s) and Windows boxes, and you'll be happy to have the latest/greatest processor, etc.

What I find comical about all these new Android phones is how they're casted aside by the manufacturers within months. A number of HTC, Samsung, and Moto handsets that were released about 4 - 6 months ago, will never see the latest version of Android [4.x]. Blame the carriers, blame the manufacturers, both...the result is the same. Ya, I know...root it right? No thanks...shouldn't have to root a phone, and void a warranty to get updates.

VulchR
Apr 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
Welcome to Android Rumors!

cwwilson
Apr 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
I don't like Android much either though to my credit, I've yet to use a 4.0 Android phone. I'm just really impressed with the hardware of the S3. Are you kidding me, quad core CPU, 720p screen (SAMOLED HD+), 1GB RAM, hell the thing smokes my PC from a couple years ago.

It'll be great to see if Apple can make an iPhone that can come close to this thing. They've been resting on their laurels and skating by due to the success of the iPad and I want to see them change the game again. Who wasn't downtrodden when Apple announced the 4S? Yeah it does some nice things, but it's the exact same phone as the one before it, just a different CPU and upgraded camera.

VSMacOne
Apr 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
I don't like Android much either though to my credit, I've yet to use a 4.0 Android phone. I'm just really impressed with the hardware of the S3. Are you kidding me, quad core CPU, 720p screen (SAMOLED HD+), 1GB RAM, hell the thing smokes my PC from a couple years ago.

It'll be great to see if Apple can make an iPhone that can come close to this thing. They've been resting on their laurels and skating by due to the success of the iPad and I want to see them change the game again. Who wasn't downtrodden when Apple announced the 4S? Yeah it does some nice things, but it's the exact same phone as the one before it, just a different CPU and upgraded camera.

No, not really. You can't say it's the EXACT same phone, and follow it with anything but a period. If you have to add just, or except, then it's NOT the same phone. I had an iPhone 4 and got the iPhone 4S so I can tell you first-hand, it's not the same phone.
I think it's widely believed by now that the new iPhone will be a major hardware and major (maybe) software upgrade, but iOS 6 will be passed down to 4S and 4 for sure. But does the new iPhone have to match the specs of the newest Samsung phone? NO. It has to offer a better experience and Eco-system than competition, and that's not all about hardware. If you think Apple is worried about matching whatever Samsung is doing (with new phones every few months) you don't know Apple and their strategy at all.

And how is Apple resting on their laurels? They're making smart business decisions. iPad 2 was more than FINE without LTE. iPhone 4S is more than FINE without LTE and without a new design. How is Apple resting on their laurels? Have they slipped behind Samsung or HTC or Motorola yet? Before you answer, looks at their profits.

cwwilson
Apr 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
Just come out and say it then, they've fallen behind Samsung. They're so busy patent trolling that they've let iPhone become stale while the competition blows on by. The most innovative thing Apple did with the 4S was Siri and how has that worked out? It didn't change anything. If you want to pat Apple on the back for standing still that's fine but in a world where technology is progressing at an exponential rate, I expect so much more from the "leading" company in the business.

And you're okay with the iPhone not having LTE? Do you have any idea how slow 3G data speeds are on Verizon and Sprint?

VulchR
Apr 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
And you're okay with the iPhone not having LTE? Do you have any idea how slow 3G data speeds are on Verizon and Sprint?

You do realize, don't you, that the iPhone is sold in great numbers in places other than the US? In the UK LTE/4G hasn't even been brought out yet. I suspect that Apple will make a LTE/4G iPhone when the company comes to the conclusion there is a sufficient market that they can make a phone they can sell usefully worldwide. All indications are that this will happen soon, and Apple will use the same or better mobile communications chips as their competitors. There is the difference between being on the leading edge and being on the bleeding edge, and Apple doesn't like being on the latter. Nor do I.

EDIT: [Ugh - just realized I got sucked into this thread...]

BlueGoldAce
Apr 26, 2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.androidcentral.com/dual-core-galaxy-s3-be-offered-some-territories-snapdragon-s4-and-lte

Dual core for the US. There goes half the arguments for the GSIII

I owed a GSII before getting the iPhone. Both great phones, iphone has given way less problems.

Rogifan
Apr 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
No way would I ever purchase a Samsung device after seeing video of the flash mob they sent to an Apple store in Australia chanting "wake up". Can you say no class and completely tasteless?

http://www.cultofmac.com/163326/samsung-douches-up-australian-apple-store-with-paid-galaxy-flashmob/

VulchR
Apr 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
No way would I ever purchase a Samsung device after seeing video of the flash mob they sent to an Apple store in Australia chanting "wake up". Can you say no class and completely tasteless?

http://www.cultofmac.com/163326/samsung-douches-up-australian-apple-store-with-paid-galaxy-flashmob/

Now that's class... It's amazing how human beings can be induced to act like total prats without any dignity for a few bucks....

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Just come out and say it then, they've fallen behind Samsung. They're so busy patent trolling that they've let iPhone become stale while the competition blows on by. The most innovative thing Apple did with the 4S was Siri and how has that worked out? It didn't change anything. If you want to pat Apple on the back for standing still that's fine but in a world where technology is progressing at an exponential rate, I expect so much more from the "leading" company in the business.

I assume that refers to Android right? And I also assume this is a huge fat joke right? Android is not progressing... it's still the same sloppy POS it was before Google sloppily slapped a touchscreen UI layer on it. Sure, it was polished a few times and other people have put their crap on it (Samsung TouchWiz, Moto Blur, etc.) but when I see what an iPhone offers me and Android blindly listing a quad core processor as if that is a deal breaker, I know which one is better.

What makes a Mac different from a PC? They both use the same CPU architecture, same ram, same display technology (LCD, LED backlit, etc.), have a keyboard and mouse and a trackpad. Heck, even the trackpad hardware is from the same vendor. But what differentiates the two is software. The drivers for the trackpad under OS X is much better than anything in Windows/PC. The typeface is much better in OS X. The power management algorithms are better in OS X. Not to mention, UNIX beats the living heck out of Windows in security, performance, resource management and etc.

Same with the iPhone, iPad and iOS. The iPhone CPU is ARM which isn't that special to Apple. Other smartphones use ARM processors too. It's got an IPS panel. And a Sony camera module. And a battery made using lithium ion cells. But what makes the iPhone the best selling phone in the US? Not hardware for sure. No one gives a flying rat's behind about how many cores it has and how fast the clock speed is. Heck, most people don't even know half the terms in that last sentence. But what they do know is, the iPhone has better battery life, better camera, more apps, better apps, gaming and "it just works". I don't need to root or worry about malware and trojans and viruses and scams like Android. I don't need to turn it on and off because it stopped working. I don't have to wait for Instagram to finally come to Android. And it works as an excellent iPod. Oh and it's got a lot of accessories like cases and screen shields and the like.

My girlfriend's biggest complaints about her Android phone was no accessories, terrible battery life and no apps. The problem with Android is the focus on specs. Look around, no one cares how many cores you have, how many GBs of ram, how fast the CPU is or how big your screen is.

surjavarman
Apr 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
If its going to be made from cheap flimsy plastic then its going to suck. Come on! Its a flagship device and it still feels like turd.

And the new processor isn't even that much better than the quallcomm s4 krait if its better at all.

The One S is still the better device.

cynics
Apr 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
If its going to be made from cheap flimsy plastic then its going to suck. Come on! Its a flagship device and it still feels like turd.

And the new processor isn't even that much better than the quallcomm s4 krait if its better at all.

The One S is still the better device.

If you ignore the ceramic or liquid metal back like rumored. And ignore the processor is twice as fast as the SII while using 20% less power then I completely agree with you. :)

BlueGoldAce
Apr 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
If you ignore the ceramic or liquid metal back like rumored. And ignore the processor is twice as fast as the SII while using 20% less power then I completely agree with you. :)

You ignore the idea that the GSIII will be the S4 krait, in the US that is.

Maybe your not from the US, then I apologize.

onthecouchagain
Apr 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
@Snowleapord, great post. Lots of lawls.

chakraj
Apr 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
can I just ignore everyone?

VSMacOne
Apr 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
EDIT: [Ugh - just realized I got sucked into this thread...]
DANG IT!! Me too :)

How has Apple fallen behind Samsung? Judging by what? That Samsung can put a fast CPU and a good screen on a huge phone? Again, look at the $$. Samsung has a gazillion phones on the market and can't make nearly as much money as Apple is from selling phones. And Apple sells 3 phones.
CPU's and specs are more of a reminder of the PC-era. Most consumers don't give a crap what kind of processor and memory their phone has. It's not just about the phone, it's about the whole experience. And Apple is WAY ahead in that with the App Store, iTunes Store, retail store.

And yes, I'm completely fine without LTE. I'd rather have a decent size phone that holds a decent charge than sacrifice all of that for LTE. My guess is that most consumers feel the same, otherwise the iPhone 4S would've been a FLOP.

onthecouchagain
Apr 26, 2012, 01:55 PM
One of the greatest non sequiturs committed on this forum, and obviously in this thread, is that high sales equals innovation.

VSMacOne
Apr 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
One of the greatest non sequiturs committed on this forum, and obviously in this thread, is that high sales equals innovation.

I wasn't saying that. I was merely saying that Apple is doing pretty well financially. So they're gonna innovate in other areas besides FAST CPU's and RAM. They innovated with the iPhone, iPad, iTunes Store, Macs, etc. Most of the others are just now catching up with Apple in those areas (IF that). So it makes sense that Apple's focus on what they think is important for their growth, which as it happens right now, has nothing to do with more RAM and bigger CPU.

cynics
Apr 26, 2012, 02:15 PM

True. It strange to even hear that argument.

We all know Apple charges carriers quite a bit more for the iPhone even though it's made in some of the same factories as other phones. It's not nearly as equipped with bells and whistles (NFC, LTE, notification lights, etc) whether you need/want those features or not. An OS that some argue is dated and/or too restrictive.

For me it's getting to the point like a entry level BMW or Merc. You can get a base entry model for the same price or more expensive then a much better equipped, safer, more reliable, more powerful Toyota. What you did was just bought a badge on the car.

But yet some will say well if it's more expensive it's got to be better.

Apple is brilliant with advertising and causing buzz around their products too which helps quite a bit. Half the android phones that come out don't even have advertising!

I love my iPhone but there have been plenty of times I wish I had my razr just do certain things or have an Internet connection that works (I have a LTE tablet I bring to work so I can host a hotspot for my iPhone).

Yumunum
Apr 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Seeing that I live in the U.S., it might be over $800 to get the GSIII in a reasonable amount of time. I could also order the Galaxy Nexus for $400+tax right from Google. The Nexus is tempting for the price... But... Idk.

VSMacOne
Apr 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
True. It strange to even hear that argument.

We all know Apple charges carriers quite a bit more for the iPhone even though it's made in some of the same factories as other phones. It's not nearly as equipped with bells and whistles (NFC, LTE, notification lights, etc) whether you need/want those features or not. An OS that some argue is dated and/or too restrictive.

For me it's getting to the point like a entry level BMW or Merc. You can get a base entry model for the same price or more expensive then a much better equipped, safer, more reliable, more powerful Toyota. What you did was just bought a badge on the car.

But yet some will say well if it's more expensive it's got to be better.

Apple is brilliant with advertising and causing buzz around their products too which helps quite a bit. Half the android phones that come out don't even have advertising!

I love my iPhone but there have been plenty of times I wish I had my razr just do certain things or have an Internet connection that works (I have a LTE tablet I bring to work so I can host a hotspot for my iPhone).

I don't think your analogy works. You're basically saying that everybody who buys a BMW over a Toyota is just doing that for the badge? BMW's are very good cars. Also, people have different taste. Not to mention that Toyota and BMW have totally different strategies and visions for their cars.
Just because I choose a BMW over a Toyota doesn't mean I'm necessarily over-paying.

----------

Seeing that I live in the U.S., it might be over $800 to get the GSIII in a reasonable amount of time. I could also order the Galaxy Nexus for $400+tax right from Google. The Nexus is tempting for the price... But... Idk.

Sounds like you're just aching for Android :eek: :D
Seriously, for me the ecosystem and user interface are unmatched by android. Consistent UI with iPad, I don't have to worry about getting malware thru an app that i download, etc. But if you really want a bigger screen and Flash, go for it! It all comes down to your needs.

cynics
Apr 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think your analogy works. You're basically saying that everybody who buys a BMW over a Toyota is just doing that for the badge? BMW's are very good cars. Also, people have different taste. Not to mention that Toyota and BMW have totally different strategies and visions for their cars.
Just because I choose a BMW over a Toyota doesn't mean I'm necessarily over-paying.

----------

Sounds like you're just aching for Android :eek: :D
Seriously, for me the ecosystem and user interface are unmatched by android. Consistent UI with iPad, I don't have to worry about getting malware thru an app that i download, etc. But if you really want a bigger screen and Flash, go for it! It all comes down to your needs.

No! Lol not saying that (I used to own a e46 m3). I said entry level. You've met these people in real life I'm sure. They will brag about their BMW how it's this and that they probably even have a t-shirt. But when you see it it's a 128i with steal wheels and a pin strip. Although there was much more value in other cars they paid a premium for a BMW badge.

Cod3rror
Apr 26, 2012, 07:08 PM

I used to get all excited about the hardware specs, dual core, quad, etc...

Now I've realized that it does not matter how powerful a phone is, the Android experience is still sub-par. Android wastes all that power. I've tried HTC One X, it still is very much an Android experience... laggy.

Throwing more horse power does not fix the problem of Android... so it beats every phone in benchmarks, who cares? What really matters is the real life user experience, and in that I'd rather take a 3GS than a Galaxy S II.

Finally judging by the leaks Galaxy S III specs don't impress, it's the same old CPU architecture, and the same old GPU, with the same amount of RAM. One thing I'm interested in is the camera, I hope they just didn't slap more megapixels in there and did some actual work to improve it.

As for the new iPhone, all I want from Apple is 1GB RAM, 2MP front camera and an improved rear camera, the current one is great but camera is one area where I always want improvement. CPU/GPU can remain the same for all I care, hell even the shape can remain the same.

lordofthereef
Apr 26, 2012, 07:13 PM
And yes, I'm completely fine without LTE. I'd rather have a decent size phone that holds a decent charge than sacrifice all of that for LTE. My guess is that most consumers feel the same, otherwise the iPhone 4S would've been a FLOP.

This isn't really a good comparison. First, LTE isn't really anywhere else outside of the US. For everyone outside of the US (yes, they are people too) LTE compatibility isn't even on their radar for making a bit of a difference. Even while I write this, we really don't have that much LTE coverage in the US. A better comparison would be looking at an LTE saturated market and comparing how well iPhone sales are doing there compared to LTE devices.

DodgeV83
Apr 27, 2012, 12:23 AM
Throwing more horse power does not fix the problem of Android... so it beats every phone in benchmarks, who cares? What really matters is the real life user experience, and in that I'd rather take a 3GS than a Galaxy S II.

"There has yet to be an Android phone released that beats the iPhone 4S in any CPU/GPU benchmark."

I say it so much it should be my motto :)

Even the HTX One X doesn't beat the 6+ month old iPhone. I'm waiting to see how the Galaxy S III does to see if I am finally going to be forced to retire my motto :p

Yumunum
Apr 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
"There has yet to be an Android phone released that beats the iPhone 4S in any CPU/GPU benchmark."

I say it so much it should be my motto :)

Even the HTX One X doesn't beat the 6+ month old iPhone. I'm waiting to see how the Galaxy S III does to see if I am finally going to be forced to retire my motto :p

They don't necessarily need higher benchmarks than the 4S to be good. HTC's phones seem prone to lag though. Samsung did a great job with the S2. I think if you're wanting a smooth experience, it's pretty much set that the GSIII will deliver. Prepare your wallet!

0m3ga
Apr 27, 2012, 01:09 AM
I assume that refers to Android right? And I also assume this is a huge fat joke right? Android is not progressing... it's still the same sloppy POS it was before Google sloppily slapped a touchscreen UI layer on it. Sure, it was polished a few times and other people have put their crap on it (Samsung TouchWiz, Moto Blur, etc.) but when I see what an iPhone offers me and Android blindly listing a quad core processor as if that is a deal breaker, I know which one is better.

What makes a Mac different from a PC? They both use the same CPU architecture, same ram, same display technology (LCD, LED backlit, etc.), have a keyboard and mouse and a trackpad. Heck, even the trackpad hardware is from the same vendor. But what differentiates the two is software. The drivers for the trackpad under OS X is much better than anything in Windows/PC. The typeface is much better in OS X. The power management algorithms are better in OS X. Not to mention, UNIX beats the living heck out of Windows in security, performance, resource management and etc.

Same with the iPhone, iPad and iOS. The iPhone CPU is ARM which isn't that special to Apple. Other smartphones use ARM processors too. It's got an IPS panel. And a Sony camera module. And a battery made using lithium ion cells. But what makes the iPhone the best selling phone in the US? Not hardware for sure. No one gives a flying rat's behind about how many cores it has and how fast the clock speed is. Heck, most people don't even know half the terms in that last sentence. But what they do know is, the iPhone has better battery life, better camera, more apps, better apps, gaming and "it just works". I don't need to root or worry about malware and trojans and viruses and scams like Android. I don't need to turn it on and off because it stopped working. I don't have to wait for Instagram to finally come to Android. And it works as an excellent iPod. Oh and it's got a lot of accessories like cases and screen shields and the like.

My girlfriend's biggest complaints about her Android phone was no accessories, terrible battery life and no apps. The problem with Android is the focus on specs. Look around, no one cares how many cores you have, how many GBs of ram, how fast the CPU is or how big your screen is.
Not sure what Mac's you are using, but my iMac and MBP din't use the same RAM chips as my HP PC? I'm also not sure where you got the idea that any PC manufacturer besides Apple utilize the same type of Trackpad. Sure a few companies like Logitech have put out crappy looking plastic clones, but nothing even close to the real thing.

As for the iPhone and iPad on iOS. If you think people don't care about RAM, then you haven't seen the difference between the iPad1 and iPad3. Enjoy have apps constantly close on you on the original iPad, due to lack of RAM? Many people may not know what RAM is, but they have seen the consequences of having to little.Having more RAM is becoming critical!

CPU and GPU are important, but not as important as being designed for a specific piece of hardware, a la iPhone. Android compensates for shoving a simple OS into many pieces of hardwae and then dealing with several UI's placed on top. More CPU cores, more RAM, more battery, more everything is the only solution they have, hence internal hardware is detrimental to the success of Android. But it's up to each Android based phone manufacturer to out do each other and keep pushing the envelope.

And your comment about Android having malware, trojans, viruses or what have you is the go to line for the Apple loving crowd to slap in the face of the iHaters. It is true that an Android phone can download such things, BECAUSE it is an open platform, allowing people to download apk files from any shady place on the internet. And if you think the app store is safer, because it's Apple, you may want to check the news from this past month and end of last year. App store isn't quite as safe as you think. However, with proper planning, both OS's can avoid those bad files from ever getting on your phone or if they do, being able to backup to a previous saved version.

----------

They don't necessarily need higher benchmarks than the 4S to be good. HTC's phones seem prone to lag though. Samsung did a great job with the S2. I think if you're wanting a smooth experience, it's pretty much set that the GSIII will deliver. Prepare your wallet!

Mine is prepared. I'm getting one unlocked straight from Samsung, if possible. I'll sell my Skyrocket, because I really want the SIII! This is the first Android phone I am actually excited about. :D

tekno
Apr 27, 2012, 01:09 AM
Samsung are now the biggest mobile phone producer in the world, so they must be doing something right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17865117

0m3ga
Apr 27, 2012, 01:15 AM

you and many others say this because you haven't experienced LTE. I was just up in San Francisco and my Glaxy SII Skyrocket was getting download speeds of 16mps and upload speeds of 12! That's nearly as good as a home wifi network!!! Hell, I even had LTE on Alcatraz.

Now I am back home and relegated to a crappy HSPA network that I would barely call 3G.

Once Apple consumers get a taste of LTE on the iPhone 5, you will see the whole attitude change and I anticipate with Apple's participation in the phone market, more LTE capable cities will pop up quickly.

DodgeV83
Apr 27, 2012, 01:17 AM
And if you think the app store is safer, because it's Apple, you may want to check the news from this past month and end of last year. App store isn't quite as safe as you think.

I don't think the AppStore is safer because it's Apple. I think it's safer because it's safer.

I just read an article about Android Malware saying that the amount of money stolen from Android users from Malware (like sending secret SMS messages to premium numbers costing $10 a message) was in the millions last year. Apparently the number of Malware attacks on Android is accelerating.

There are 0 malware/viruses in the wild for iOS right now, and outside of jailbroken devices there have never been any malware/virus outbreaks on any iOS device.

The AppStore is exactly as safe as I think it is.

0m3ga
Apr 27, 2012, 01:26 AM
Samsung are now the biggest mobile phone producer in the world, so they must be doing something right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17865117

Biggest mobile phone producer and biggest smartphone seller are not one in the same. Selling dumbphones and cheap hybrid phones for a few penny's to 3rd world contries may give you the title of worlds largest mobile phone vender, but it doesn't put much money in the bank. Apple has the largest piece of that pie and that is the one that really matters. Also, I do believe Apple is the current largest smartphone vendor in the world? (I could be wrong?)

----------

I don't think the AppStore is safer because it's Apple. I think it's safer because it's safer.

I just read an article about Android Malware saying that the amount of money stolen from Android users from Malware (like sending secret SMS messages to premium numbers costing $10 a message) was in the millions last year. Apparently the number of Malware attacks on Android is accelerating.

There are 0 malware/viruses in the wild for iOS right now, and outside of jailbroken devices there have never been any malware/virus outbreaks on any iOS device.

Yep, and Mac users have thought the same way for years. I thought the same way. Then this little piece of code called Flashback got into my iMac, along with 600,000 other Mac's. My MBP was prepared and had proper security in place, but not my iMac.
Anyway, that is just an example. But I can tell you that if you only download apps from Google Play you are pretty safe. If you have an auto virus, trojan and malware check of each file you download, then you can be pretty confident your phone is safe. This goes for both iOS and Android. You can laugh at the notion that you would need a virus scanner on an iPhone, but you won't be laughing the day it happens. Hell, a coder panted an app in the app store that had either malware or a virus installed in it. He told Apple how easy it was too do and all Apple did was pull the app. But they wouldn't have, unless he told them about it. That can very easily happen again.

ChazUK
Apr 27, 2012, 01:37 AM
Biggest mobile phone producer and biggest smartphone seller are not one in the same. Selling dumbphones and cheap hybrid phones for a few penny's to 3rd world contries may give you the title of worlds largest mobile phone vender, but it doesn't put much money in the bank. Apple has the largest piece of that pie and that is the one that really matters. Also, I do believe Apple is the current largest smartphone vendor in the world? (I could be wrong?)

Not this quarter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-27/samsung-overtakes-apple-as-no-1-smartphone-maker-in-1st-quarter.html

I don't understand why people insist on belittling the supply of handsets to the third world. Getting some of the poorest people into the modern age with even a "dumb phone" could have a positive effect to many people less fortunate than us.

For clarification, That wasn't a dig at you Om3ga but it has been a growing trend with people downplaying the supply of tech to the third world

ixodes
Apr 27, 2012, 01:37 AM
I have had great experiences with the Galaxy series. I will buy an unlocked SGS III when released, from a distributor I've bought lots of smartphones from in Hong Kong.

OEM versions are my preference. It allows me to update the OS far sooner than waiting for it to be customized for AT&T. In addition, the speed & response time are the best of all. Surprisingly my OEM SGSII is a bit faster than my new Nexus.

It will he very interesting to see what the final configuration will be.

tekno
Apr 27, 2012, 01:45 AM
Biggest mobile phone producer and biggest smartphone seller are not one in the same. Selling dumbphones and cheap hybrid phones for a few penny's to 3rd world contries may give you the title of worlds largest mobile phone vender, but it doesn't put much money in the bank. Apple has the largest piece of that pie and that is the one that really matters. Also, I do believe Apple is the current largest smartphone vendor in the world? (I could be wrong?)[COLOR="#808080"]

I didn't suggest mobile phone and smartphone production were the same thing. I said Samsung are the largest mobile phone producer in the world. Which they are.

Samsung's profits have risen 81%, so it clearly does put 'money in the bank'. Admittedly not as much as Apple, but I stick to my point that they must be doing something right.

0m3ga
Apr 27, 2012, 01:50 AM
Not this quarter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-27/samsung-overtakes-apple-as-no-1-smartphone-maker-in-1st-quarter.html

I don't understand why people insist on belittling the supply of handsets to the third world. Getting some of the poorest people into the modern age with even a "dumb phone" could have a positive effect to many people less fortunate than us.

For clarification, That wasn't a dig at you Om3ga but it has been a growing trend with people downplaying the supply of tech to the third world

Looks like the Galaxy note was the difference maker this quarter. And the Galaxy SIII coming out in May and no new iphone until Q3, means Samsung will remain in the lead for biggest smartphone vendor over the next two quarters.

And when I reference the third world, there is no malace towards the people. It's not their,fault.

newbiemacguy128
Apr 27, 2012, 02:14 AM

Hmm... I had to call AT&T about 90$ worth of premium numbers last month, spread across 4 iPhones (none jailbroken). You called these malware in your post, so apparently there are at least 9 malware cases just on my AT&T bill alone. I'm not sure if these actually count as malware though, as I know nothing about this topic. Just saying, to think any there are no viruses/malware for any OS is very dangerous imo. Many people said Macs were impervious to these exact things and in the end it just makes you an easier target. Don't think for one second your safe just because your on iOS.

VSMacOne
Apr 27, 2012, 08:02 AM

At the end of the day, this is true. I have never downloaded an app from the AppStore that was malware. Are there exception? I'm sure devs can sneak stuff by Apple, but most of them won't becasue they know they'll get kicked out of the AppStore. There is no sense of this in the Android Market.

Hmm... I had to call AT&T about 90$ worth of premium numbers last month, spread across 4 iPhones (none jailbroken). You called these malware in your post, so apparently there are at least 9 malware cases just on my AT&T bill alone. I'm not sure if these actually count as malware though, as I know nothing about this topic. Just saying, to think any there are no viruses/malware for any OS is very dangerous imo. Many people said Macs were impervious to these exact things and in the end it just makes you an easier target. Don't think for one second your safe just because your on iOS.

This is not Apple's fault. I'm dealing with one of those things on our bill right now, and it's all AT&T.

ChazUK
Apr 27, 2012, 08:13 AM
I've found it extremely easy to remain malware free on Android since 2009 by not pirating apps (developers deserve their money), checking reviews, developer reputation and reviewing app permissions on all applications that install to my Android hardware.

Anything iffy and it isn't installed. The same can be said for my time on Windows, Windows Phone and OS X. Its been a life long thing of mine to do so and has kept me safe on multiple platforms.

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
At the end of the day, this is true. I have never downloaded an app from the AppStore that was malware. Are there exception? I'm sure devs can sneak stuff by Apple, but most of them won't becasue they know they'll get kicked out of the AppStore. There is no sense of this in the Android Market.

This is not Apple's fault. I'm dealing with one of those things on our bill right now, and it's all AT&T.

Depends if your phone SENT SMS behind your back it is apples fault. The only other way is you did it? Did you text one of those fortune telling or love numbers?

There was a few threads on this forum a while ago. Apple is usually pretty quick to pull the apps.

App store is overall safer then google play. However if you use your brain google play is safer. Since YOU have to check the permissions of an app you know what it's doing, a weather app doesn't need access to your SMS for example. Plus some big names have anti malware apps for free like norton, avg, etc

It's like a pc. If you use common sense you will be fine!

VSMacOne
Apr 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
Depends if your phone SENT SMS behind your back it is apples fault. The only other way is you did it? Did you text one of those fortune telling or love numbers?

There was a few threads on this forum a while ago. Apple is usually pretty quick to pull the apps.

App store is overall safer then google play. However if you use your brain google play is safer. Since YOU have to check the permissions of an app you know what it's doing, a weather app doesn't need access to your SMS for example. Plus some big names have anti malware apps for free like norton, avg, etc

It's like a pc. If you use common sense you will be fine!

In my situation a bunch of our numbers are getting SPAM sms that will automatically add a $9.99 monthly charge. That is definitely AT&T's fault.
Regarding the App Store, I agree with you that common sense and careful analysis will (most of the time) keep you safe. However, most consumers are not as tech savvy as some of the forum members and will undoubtedly fall prey to the malware. The average person is not going to know that there are 20 games called Words With Friends on Android Market but only 1 of them is the right one. Does that make sense? Lack of knowledge is mostly to blame for PC malware and viruses because a large number of these can be avoided by not clicking certain links, etc. But again, most people don't know that.
And this is where the AppStore comes in. Consumers just go in download an app and use it, without any extra steps. Simple and safe. Apple gets that right more than anybody else (for the majority of times).

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
EDIT: Fake!

SIII Leaked pics that actually look legit: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Alleged-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-photo-shows-both-physical-and-capacitive-buttons_id29554

However, if this is real, I'm disappointed. I'm not sure why there's hardware button on the front when one of the major ideas of ICS was to eliminate front hardware buttons.

Could be an old prototype too.

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 09:16 AM
In my situation a bunch of our numbers are getting SPAM sms that will automatically add a $9.99 monthly charge. That is definitely AT&T's fault.
Regarding the App Store, I agree with you that common sense and careful analysis will (most of the time) keep you safe. However, most consumers are not as tech savvy as some of the forum members and will undoubtedly fall prey to the malware. The average person is not going to know that there are 20 games called Words With Friends on Android Market but only 1 of them is the right one. Does that make sense? Lack of knowledge is mostly to blame for PC malware and viruses because a large number of these can be avoided by not clicking certain links, etc. But again, most people don't know that.
And this is where the AppStore comes in. Consumers just go in download an app and use it, without any extra steps. Simple and safe. Apple gets that right more than anybody else (for the majority of times).

I agree, ignorance of the consumer is google play's main downfall when it comes to this.

On the flip side this is a downfall of apple too. It's a tech world, if you don't know how something works you have no business using it. I hate how restricted apps are with ios. I have two apps in particular I find relatively useless because of this. Sleep cycle and battery doctor. What good is a alarm clock or battery monitor if they have to run in the foreground? I end up not using them!

DodgeV83
Apr 27, 2012, 09:35 AM

There have been 0 reports of iPhone malware sending hidden text messages to rack up your phone bill. It is thought to be impossible due to iOS restrictions.

If you have evidence showing otherwise, please provide a source.

newbiemacguy128
Apr 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
There have been 0 reports of iPhone malware sending hidden text messages to rack up your phone bill. It is thought to be impossible due to iOS restrictions.

If you have evidence showing otherwise, please provide a source.

There was already another forum member a few posts back who also claimed he got some text message fees also. I'm not going to go scavenge through my bills from months ago. As to who's at fault, maybe its AT&T, maybe its Apple. I don't know and I personally don't care. As far as i'm concerned, if Apple chooses to use a carrier that is susceptible to hidden text message fees. They are just as much to blame. In the end, I lost money. No one likes that.

Still going to keep using my iPhones on AT&T, it's just annoying that I have to go Sherlock Holmes on my bill every time it gets here. I believe the pros outweigh the cons at the moment. I'll try Android one of these days though.

DodgeV83
Apr 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
There was already another forum member a few posts back who also claimed he got some text message fees also. I'm not going to go scavenge through my bills from months ago. As to who's at fault, maybe its AT&T, maybe its Apple. I don't know and I personally don't care. As far as i'm concerned, if Apple chooses to use a carrier that is susceptible to hidden text message fees. They are just as much to blame. In the end, I lost money. No one likes that.

Still going to keep using my iPhones on AT&T, it's just annoying that I have to go Sherlock Holmes on my bill every time it gets here. I believe the pros outweigh the cons at the moment. I'll try Android one of these days though.

If you're referring to the quote below:

In my situation a bunch of our numbers are getting SPAM sms that will automatically add a $9.99 monthly charge. That is definitely AT&T's fault

Then it wouldn't matter which phone you had. It could have been a non-smart phone from Nokia and you still would have been charged. It's a billing issue, not a phone issue. Even if you took your sim card out and literally didn't have a phone, you would still have been charged.

That's like blaming your car manufacturer, because the gas station overcharged you :)

Wrathwitch
Apr 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
When I first got my iP4, after nightmare experience with HTC and although more stable, less than fun experience with BB. The iPhone felt like I had died and gone to geek heaven.

I would swear up and down that the iPhone4 JUST WORKs and I have never had a problem with it ever.

I recently seen a video on how Ice Cream Sammich on a SS GII ran compared to an iP4S and I have to say, there was some Very cool looking differences between them. Enough to actually tempt me.

The conditions that would have to be met for me to switch though, would be to
1) be able to get updates from the actual Android site, not have to wait for my lazy a** carrier to grace me with the update 3-6 months after the release.

2) the phone would have to NEVER freeze on me. I rely on my cell phone as an alarm clock.

3) I would have to be able to get consistent battery life of a full day's and evening's usage from the device. As it is, I use a Mophie battery pack because I don't like to have to worry about not being able to use my device when I need it.

That being said, if Apple actually pulls a magic re-design out of their hat and offers some pleasant surprises, I would stay with Apple for my chosen device. I really do want a slightly larger screen, LTE, It would be nice to be able to arrange my icons in anything other than a graph, but I can live without that.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
Debunked! My earlier post of the SIII leak is debunked as a fake.

----------

I want to laugh at everyone who says the iPhone "just works."

And people wonder where the term "sheep" comes from.

hot spare
Apr 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
Debunked! My earlier post of the SIII leak is debunked as a fake.

I saw the article in PA. But where was it debunked as FAKE? any source?

cheers!

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
I saw the article in PA. But where was it debunked as FAKE? any source?

cheers!

Yeah, I'm not seeing the debunk story making the rounds or updates, but I read it here: http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/newest-galaxy-s-iiis3-leak-looks-exactly-like-latest-render-samsung-confirms-name/

----------

Also seems like Samsung had nothing to do with that "Wake Up" group.

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 12:35 PM

Then it wouldn't matter which phone you had. It could have been a non-smart phone from Nokia and you still would have been charged. It's a billing issue, not a phone issue. Even if you took your sim card out and literally didn't have a phone, you would still have been charged.

That's like blaming your car manufacturer, because the gas station overcharged you :)

But you can't GET a text that charges you money. You have to send a text to get those charges. Like when you see the late night commercials that say "text love to 22342 to get your next boyfriend or girlfriends name" or some lame crap like that.

The way the malware thing works is it secretly sends a text to one of these pay for text numbers. At least that's the way I understand it.

I'm not saying its just not a billing error though.

DodgeV83
Apr 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
But you can't GET a text that charges you money. You have to send a text to get those charges. Like when you see the late night commercials that say "text love to 22342 to get your next boyfriend or girlfriends name" or some lame crap like that.

The way the malware thing works is it secretly sends a text to one of these pay for text numbers. At least that's the way I understand it.

That's what I thought as well, VSMacOne's account is unfamiliar to me.

hot spare
Apr 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing the debunk story making the rounds or updates, but I read it here: http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/newest-galaxy-s-iiis3-leak-looks-exactly-like-latest-render-samsung-confirms-name/

----------

Also seems like Samsung had nothing to do with that "Wake Up" group.

Ok I got the debunked info now!

1] you can see a reflection of the personís hand on the carpet!
2] since this phone has its screen off, why are the physical buttons lit up?
3] why would the multitask button look like the standard menu button?
4] they probably aren't real buttons - but stickers.

check droid-life.com

kevinof
Apr 27, 2012, 01:56 PM
Er yes you can. I could set up a premium rate service that charged say $5 per message. I can either get you to sign up , or fake your sing up if I'm that way inclined and from then on every message I send to you is billed at $5 to your mobile account.

It's called a premium rate text and is supported by operators (who take a nice percentage of the charge).

newbiemacguy128
Apr 27, 2012, 02:27 PM

No, it doesn't matter which phone you get. Unfortunately most companies will do whatever it takes to make money at the expense of consumers. Thats why I reserve my praise for companies actually worthwhile, like a charitable organization.

Think of it this way, lets say Apple was releasing the first iPhone and had a choice of two carriers. One with hidden text message fees. One without. They chose the one with hidden text message fees. Their decision will cause headaches for THEIR consumers (i.e. me). I just happen to blame both the carrier and apple for choosing them. Thats all.

Obviously, the easier choice is for me to switch carriers, but I don't want to lose that unlimited data!

Anyways, I have a feeling we aren't going to agree. So lets just cut it here. :).

----------

That's what I thought as well, VSMacOne's account is unfamiliar to me.

My charges happened the same way too...thats what costs me probably $90-$300 worth of charges. I never sent any texts out that would warrant 10$ charges. They were definitely hidden.

kdarling
Apr 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
At the end of the day, this is true. I have never downloaded an app from the AppStore that was malware.

I've never downloaded a malware app from the Google Play Store, either.

The Android SMS trojans that I've read about, and which at first were said to be on Google's store, ultimately ended up to have been hosted on app stores in China and other unofficial places.

Are there exception? I'm sure devs can sneak stuff by Apple, but most of them won't becasue they know they'll get kicked out of the AppStore. There is no sense of this in the Android Market.

Yep, devs have snuck stuff by Apple.

Both stores depend on the threat of dev removal, and on people's promises not to misuse customer info. That hasn't stopped apps on both platforms from sending personal info all over the world to be misused or sold.

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 27, 2012, 05:30 PM

Don't tell that to an Android fan. "They don't need a good OS, because they are free to make it anyway they want."

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
Don't tell that to an Android fan. "They don't need a good OS, because they are free to make it anyway they want."

You can use an iOS theme if you'd like. Looks just as elegant as iOS 5. LOL

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 05:54 PM

Troll much?

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Not sure what Mac's you are using, but my iMac and MBP din't use the same RAM chips as my HP PC? I'm also not sure where you got the idea that any PC manufacturer besides Apple utilize the same type of Trackpad. Sure a few companies like Logitech have put out crappy looking plastic clones, but nothing even close to the real thing.

As for the iPhone and iPad on iOS. If you think people don't care about RAM, then you haven't seen the difference between the iPad1 and iPad3. Enjoy have apps constantly close on you on the original iPad, due to lack of RAM? Many people may not know what RAM is, but they have seen the consequences of having to little.Having more RAM is becoming critical!

CPU and GPU are important, but not as important as being designed for a specific piece of hardware, a la iPhone. Android compensates for shoving a simple OS into many pieces of hardwae and then dealing with several UI's placed on top. More CPU cores, more RAM, more battery, more everything is the only solution they have, hence internal hardware is detrimental to the success of Android. But it's up to each Android based phone manufacturer to out do each other and keep pushing the envelope.

And your comment about Android having malware, trojans, viruses or what have you is the go to line for the Apple loving crowd to slap in the face of the iHaters. It is true that an Android phone can download such things, BECAUSE it is an open platform, allowing people to download apk files from any shady place on the internet. And if you think the app store is safer, because it's Apple, you may want to check the news from this past month and end of last year. App store isn't quite as safe as you think. However, with proper planning, both OS's can avoid those bad files from ever getting on your phone or if they do, being able to backup to a previous saved version.

I meant that it's not Apple's proprietary technology. Macs and PCs can use the same exact RAM chips but not ALL Macs can use ALL PC RAM chips and vice versa. But they are compatible. Just because it's not the same exact RAM chip doesn't mean it's completely different and proprietary. Also certain PC manufacturers use the same Synaptics ICs for their laptops that Apple uses for MacBook Pro trackpads.

The biggest issue with RAM is not how much you have, it's how you use it. iOS has always been more efficient with system resources including RAM.

Of course CPU and GPU are important components. But compared with other smartphones (aka WP and iOS), it is less optimized as a whole device because software and hardware weren't developed to be hand in hand.

The App Store is SAFER than Android Marketplace. If I were a malicious hacker, Google welcomes me with open arms while Apple would slam the door in my face. If anyone is trying to fool themselves different, regardless of iHater or iLover, they are kidding themselves. Btw, most users don't care, don't want to care, don't know, and/or don't want to know about "proper planning". They just want a device that works.

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 06:06 PM

Interestingly the same thing happened to me on two lines. The difference is that we have only ever used iOS devices on our AT&T lines. Now I am not saying Malware did this, but on the same token, do we know that malware did it to the Android users?

When talking malware infected apps, are we talking apps that are downloaded from Google Play (formerly Android marketplace) or are we talking about apps downloaded elsewhere from third party sites?

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
Interestingly the same thing happened to me on two lines. The difference is that we have only ever used iOS devices on our AT&T lines. Now I am not saying Malware did this, but on the same token, do we know that malware did it to the Android users?

When talking malware infected apps, are we talking apps that are downloaded from Google Play (formerly Android marketplace) or are we talking about apps downloaded elsewhere from third party sites?

If you get those charges on a line that is an iPhone it's cause the carrier screwed up. If you get those charges on a line you have an android device on its cause of malware. Or at least thats the general consensus around here.

And it doesn't matter android can download files from anywhere you like!!! It's all bad!! Lol

lordofthereef
Apr 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
Give it up with the mouth buddy.

For millions upon millions of people the iPhone does just work. If you don't get that you're showcasing your ignorance. So why don't you take your iPhone trash talking and calling forum members here all sheep to an android forum and have a nice day.

I think the idea here is when many iPhone users say their phone "just works" it is meant as a derogatory statement against the competition. I would say that for millions upon millions of Android users, Android "just works" as well, at least if we are going to look at sales figures as evidence. I better argument would be that specific OS's seem to simply work better depending on your needs. No OS "just works" (especially when comparing it to another OS) for 100% of its users.

----------

If you get those charges on a line that is an iPhone it's cause the carrier screwed up. If you get those charges on a line you have an android device on its cause of malware. Or at least thats the general consensus around here.

That was where my gut was leading me, but will always admit when I am wrong. I am legitimately wondering about this malware people are speaking of. Unfortunately, try as I might, no articles I find make direct statements on where these malware ridden apps are coming from (that being Google Play or some other place).

chakraj
Apr 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
I think just works is for the folks out there who don't like to fiddle with stuff. I on the other hand can't leave anything alone. I have to tweak it or make it faster or lower or higher or quicker..... Whatever. To me there is no derogatory connotation when someone says it just works. They are just not a techy like me.

So in other words it's easier for the dumb people :cool:

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think just works is for the folks out there who don't like to fiddle with stuff. I on the other hand can't leave anything alone. I have to tweak it or make it faster or lower or higher or quicker..... Whatever. To me there is no derogatory connotation when someone says it just works. They are just not a techy like me.

Just works is more of an insult to the phone IMO. JUST works, no more no less.

I recommend the iPhone to people all the time but I hate to say it it's too people that I know will be frustrated by android. Like my mother and step father, they can't figure out the inputs on a tv. They love it.

Most, not all of my techy friends have android for very specific reasons. Hdmi out, or USB hosting things like that.

Just tonight I a friend girl of mine was asking if she should get an iPhone even though she loves her droid 2. I knew she was into photography and showed her some pics my 4s took. She was blown away and tomorrow I'm meeting her at the apple store.

Different strokes for different folks.

Timzer
Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Just works is more of an insult to the phone IMO. JUST works, no more no less.

I recommend the iPhone to people all the time but I hate to say it it's too people that I know will be frustrated by android. Like my mother and step father, they can't figure out the inputs on a tv. They love it.

Most, not all of my techy friends have android for very specific reasons. Hdmi out, or USB hosting things like that.

Just tonight I a friend girl of mine was asking if she should get an iPhone even though she loves her droid 2. I knew she was into photography and showed her some pics my 4s took. She was blown away and tomorrow I'm meeting her at the apple store.

Different strokes for different folks.

The quality of the Sony camera is blown way out of proportion. Apple folk talk as if it's soooo much better than anything out there, when its completely false. You have some reviews that pick the GS2's camera over the iphone. And almost with all the reviews out there, each camera barely edges out the other one. So let's keep it real please.

cynics
Apr 27, 2012, 10:50 PM
The quality of the Sony camera is blown way out of proportion. Apple folk talk as if it's soooo much better than anything out there, when its completely false. You have some reviews that pick the GS2's camera over the iphone. And almost with all the reviews out there, each camera barely edges out the other one. So let's keep it real please.

S2 screen is way too over saturated for someone thats into photography. 4S is a better choice. The average shooter may prefer the S2 which is fine but the pic doesn't represent the final product. That is real. I owned both and know photography. I'm not just giving mindless advise.

I will concede the camera software is better with white balance and other functionality but she is more artsy then technical.

Edit: I also played with her droid and she wasnt/didnt use any of the functions that make me like android. So why bother. If you are going to basically simulate an iPhone you might as well own one.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
My issue with the whole "it just works" statement is that it's Apple propaganda that is ceaselessly reiterated, and usually reiterated without real context or knowledge. Kudos to Apple's marketing, but saying that phrase reeks of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance (not just Android ignorance, but iOS ignorance too. It's possible to be an Apple/iPhone fan, and be ignorant of the device and OS).

Those who have given both iOS and Android a chance will speak very candidly about what works, and what doesn't work -- on both platforms. No one who knows what they're talking about ever says "it just works" when there are so many things about iOS that clearly don't "just work."

Again, need I point out all the "Damn You iPhone Autocorrection" websites that exist? Or the tons of threads complaining about a myriad of issues, or threads calling and wishing for improvements to various things (Safari, Mail, Notification Center, etc.)? I'm not saying Android doesn't have issues too, but no one goes around touting "Android just works," and no one who wants to have an honest conversation about iOS should either.

The people who carelessly repeat that "it just works" don't realize their intellectual dishonesty is actually doing Apple and fellow fans disservice by pretending iOS is something that it isn't; perfect.

Timzer
Apr 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
S2 screen is way too over saturated for someone thats into photography. 4S is a better choice. The average shooter may prefer the S2 which is fine but the pic doesn't represent the final product. That is real. I owned both and know photography. I'm not just giving mindless advise.

I will concede the camera software is better with white balance and other functionality but she is more artsy then technical.

Oh, and there's the obligatory "I know photography" or "I'm into photography" or "I'm a photographer" qualifier line. Again, Sony's got great cameras, but this is a cellphone. It's really not that amazingly different from other high end cellphone cameras out there. Sorry, try all you like. But anyone that talks like they are serious about photography and then refers to their cellphone is blowing hot air. Especially when talking about color accuracy on a tiny little 3.5 inch LG Screen. Really? Is color accuracy so important because your doing all your after shot processing on that tiny little screen. Please, let's keep it within perspective.

MadMitch89
Apr 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
Oh, and there's the obligatory "I know photography" or "I'm into photography" or "I'm a photographer" qualifier line. Again, Sony's got great cameras, but this is a cellphone. It's really not that amazingly different from other high end cellphone cameras out there. Sorry, try all you like. But anyone that talks like they are serious about photography and then refers to their cellphone is blowing hot air. Especially when talking about color accuracy on a tiny little 3.5 inch LG Screen. Really? Is color accuracy so important because your doing all your after shot processing on that tiny little screen. Please, let's keep it within perspective.

Glad someone said this. Anyone gliding around on their high horse saying the iPhone 4S is the serious photographers choice is an absolute crank. A DSRL camera is the a serious photographers choice.

jeffe
Apr 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Some really good points have been made here. Setting up IOS, along with Itunes can be very confusing for someone who had never used Itunes....more so than using Android for someone who is already heavily integrated with Google.

DanteMann
Apr 27, 2012, 11:24 PM

THIS! Could not have said this better.

hot spare
Apr 28, 2012, 04:05 AM

^^

http://archivethumb3.foolz.us/board/a/img/0647/34/1335160183862.gif

cynics
Apr 28, 2012, 06:59 AM

Your initial argument is some reviews say the S2 takes better pictures...what is that? Woooow so me agreeing with what MOST reviewers like is wrong?

If your only processing is going to be on a 3.5" screen what do you think is more important then accurate picture representation?

I said she is into photography, not a photographer. I don't know why you are on my case about this. If YOU prefer the S2's camera great! I don't give a ****. I'd suggest you do the same for my opinion too.

I apologize if your opinions vary from mine. I don't really appreciate you ignoring most of my post why an iPhone would work for her and cutting little snippets out but I'm not going to continue this pointless and growing more immature discussion.

FeaRThiS
Apr 28, 2012, 07:04 AM
Should be a good phone just hope it doesn't feel cheap and tatty like the s2

cynics
Apr 28, 2012, 07:07 AM
Glad someone said this. Anyone gliding around on their high horse saying the iPhone 4S is the serious photographers choice is an absolute crank. A DSRL camera is the a serious photographers choice.

Yep, I said that didn't I? You certainly didn't imagine that!

"She's into photography" = Me gliding in here on my high horse saying the 4S is for seriour photographers?

At least edit my post in a quote so I have some idea what you are talking about.

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
Troll much?

I know right?

lordofthereef
Apr 28, 2012, 10:28 AM

Do you fail to see the derogatory nature of that statement too? :confused:

----------

Well, I actually do know a photographer that praises the iPhone for all of the things you mention (and no, it's not me, I am terrible, horrible, god awful at taking pics). He finds it takes exceptionally good pictures, considering the device that it is. Color accuracy is pretty important if you are able to look at the big picture. The vast majority of users don't do a damn bit of post processing. For that reason, the camera really is very good for most situations. I certainly don't think we need the "I know photography" qualifier in there, but when a professional photographer praises a camera on a phone, he/she isn't comparing it to their DSLR that cost 10x what the phone itself did and takes pictures in the raw format that would fill up the iPhones storage capacity in a couple dozen shots.

DanteMann
Apr 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
And now to spice things up even more, it's rumored that the SGS3 will be the basis for a WP8 device in the fall. Not surprising as the SGS2 became the Focus S for WP7.
SGS3 specs for a WP8 is extremely exciting. My plans have always been to get a WP8 in the fall, and this will be the device. I don't mind having a SGS3 and it's equivalent on WP8.

DodgeV83
Apr 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Do you fail to see the derogatory nature of that statement too? :confused:

----------

Well, I actually do know a photographer that praises the iPhone for all of the things you mention (and no, it's not me, I am terrible, horrible, god awful at taking pics). He finds it takes exceptionally good pictures, considering the device that it is. Color accuracy is pretty important if you are able to look at the big picture. The vast majority of users don't do a damn bit of post processing. For that reason, the camera really is very good for most situations. I certainly don't think we need the "I know photography" qualifier in there, but when a professional photographer praises a camera on a phone, he/she isn't comparing it to their DSLR that cost 10x what the phone itself did and takes pictures in the raw format that would fill up the iPhones storage capacity in a couple dozen shots.

As someone who has done professional photography for years, and still has thousands of dollars in cameras and lenses, I still prefer my iPhone 4S 90% of the time, when I'm doing anything that I'm not being paid to do. I wouldn't have said this before I tried out all the apps, so I can see how someone would be skeptical. I used to be the same way :)

DanteMann
Apr 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
As someone who has done professional photography for years, and still has thousands of dollars in cameras and lenses, I still prefer my iPhone 4S 90% of the time, when I'm doing anything that I'm not being paid to do. I wouldn't have said this before I tried out all the apps, so I can see how someone would be skeptical. I used to be the same way :)

Then you should have no problem using any of the highend smartphones 90% of the time. Timzer was pointing out how some professional reviews preferred the camera in the SGS2 over the 4s and vise versa. Again, the point people here are making is that the iPhone camera isn't ridiculously better than any other smartphone camera. So to make it sound like it is, is just ridiculous. Honestly, I think this is why there is no sheep like Apple Sheep. (not saying YOU are, just sayin')

lordofthereef
Apr 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
Then you should have no problem using any of the highend smartphones 90% of the time.

Here are the phones I (a self proclaimed god awful photographer) have used in the last year: iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC EVO 3D, Droid Razer Maxx, Nokia Lunia 900.

None of the pics I took were as good, on average, as the 4S. I am just coming from the viewpoint of a person who doesn't know what he is doing; I point, I shoot, and that is photography to me. I will say I am excited to try the HTC ONE X camera. By virtually all accounts, that thing is amazing.

chambone
Apr 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
Do you fail to see the derogatory nature of that statement too?

If the ability to use tools designed by others to root or jailbreak a device, and to install software designed by others makes someone feel 'techy', all bets are off I guess.

DanteMann
Apr 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
None of the pics I took were as good, on average, as the 4S.

Ok so let's try this again. Nobody is saying it's not possible for one to prefer the Sony camera in the 4S over other smartphone cameras. What is being said is that the degree of which it is better than the others is so greatly exaggerated by those who prefer the 4S. You just don't see users of any other smartphone brand going on about the camera in their phones being preferred over their DSLRs. Or even give the impression that it can even be compared to a DSLR. And nobody here in this forum may have come out and said the Sony Camera in the 4S is better better than a DSLR, but they sure give the impression that it is or that it's a close match. And the fact is, even the pros are not unanimous in what smartphone has the best camera, but one thing is for sure, they are all nowhere near a DSLR or the best point and shoots. So let's not even talk like they are.
So knowing that all high end smartphones have very similar quality picture taking ability, how can one go on about the camera in their phone like it's head and shoulders above any other smartphone out there? It's just not the case. And it's rather embarrassing should one do so.

DodgeV83
Apr 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
Then you should have no problem using any of the highend smartphones 90% of the time. Timzer was pointing out how some professional reviews preferred the camera in the SGS2 over the 4s and vise versa. Again, the point people here are making is that the iPhone camera isn't ridiculously better than any other smartphone camera. So to make it sound like it is, is just ridiculous. Honestly, I think this is why there is no sheep like Apple Sheep. (not saying YOU are, just sayin')

The thing is though, I honestly believe the iPhone 4S is much better for photography than any other phone, mostly because of the apps and creativity it offers. I've shown people photos, tricking them into thinking they were taken with my DSLR, only to see the shock on their face when I told them it really was my iPhone :)

Here's an example of what's possible with under a minute of editing in some very simple iPhone apps:

Original:

http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/ou52y8fe/images.jpeg

Edited:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/niubp5rp/image3s.jpeg

Checkout iPhoneography.com's weekly contest for more examples:

http://www.iphoneography.com/journal/tag/through-the-lens-of-an-iphone

hot spare
Apr 29, 2012, 12:14 AM
I see that the discussion has moved towards photography. I see many names thrown around. Did anyone in this discussion tried Nokia N8? IMO, it still is the best phone for photography. I am just talking camera perspective (not OS or apps). It was launched way before SGS2 or iPhone4S. But it still beats them in terms of detail and accuracy. Check google if you don't believe me.

reefoid
Apr 29, 2012, 04:38 AM
The thing is though, I honestly believe the iPhone 4S is much better for photography than any other phone, mostly because of the apps and creativity it offers. I've shown people photos, tricking them into thinking they were taken with my DSLR, only to see the shock on their face when I told them it really was my iPhone :)

Bringing apps into it is pointless. Any processing you can do with an app on iOS can also be done on Android so I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.