Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I know this question has been asked literally 100 times on the forums, and I have read every single thread but none of them answer the question.

My MacBook Air only has 128GB of space and 14GB right now are iOS apps. I have no space for them nor do I want them. I only want them on my iPhone and iPad. Every time I delete the apps folder, the apps are synced back from the iOS device. This happens even if I have already unchecked "Sync Apps" in iTunes.

So what can I do to prevent this? Surely I can't be the only one who still has this problem.

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I know this question has been asked literally 100 times on the forums, and I have read every single thread but none of them answer the question.

My MacBook Air only has 128GB of space and 14GB right now are iOS apps. I have no space for them nor do I want them. I only want them on my iPhone and iPad. Every time I delete the apps folder, the apps are synced back from the iOS device. This happens even if I have already unchecked "Sync Apps" in iTunes.

So what can I do to prevent this? Surely I can't be the only one who still has this problem.

there's another option in the preferences to stop transferring purchases.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
there's another option in the preferences to stop transferring purchases.

I have deselected apps in this window, or is there another one I have to check? It still doesn't work for me.

Attachments

• CapturFiles_2.jpg
    CapturFiles_2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 272

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
no, that's not it

find the "reset all warnings" option, under Advanced.

the next time you sync, it should prompt you with "transfer purchases?"

But if I select don't transfer, the apps will be removed from the phone?

Attachments

• CapturFiles_3.jpg
    CapturFiles_3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 218

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to solve this problem too. It's even more frustrating that I have apps on my Mac that I've since deleted off my device. With the iCloud, having a local copy of your apps isn't necessary. I hope this gets solved soon.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Personally, I think they just forgot to put in a "don't download apps" check box.

I'm in the same boat. There is no need for a local app backups with iCloud now. It's useless, a waste of space and bandwidth.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Personally, I think they just forgot to put in a "don't download apps" check box.

I'm in the same boat. There is no need for a local app backups with iCloud now. It's useless, a waste of space and bandwidth.

That's not entirely true.

There are Apps in my iTunes and on my device that can't be re-downloaded from the App Store.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't even know if that much is true. I can still download "Tris"... remember that free (awesome) tetris game that was on the app store for a while back in 2009?

Indeed I do. That was pulled for copyright reasons, but was allowed to remain on the App Store for a few days in a settlement with the trademark owner of Tetris (EA at the time I think?).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Indeed I do. That was pulled for copyright reasons, but was allowed to remain on the App Store for a few days in a settlement with the trademark owner of Tetris (EA at the time I think?).
It can still be downloaded by those "bought" it. The point is, I don't think there is an app that Apple has permanently taken off their servers even for people who had previously bought them.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It can still be downloaded by those "bought" it. The point is, I don't think there is an app that Apple has permanently taken off their servers even for people who had previously bought them.

Apps that violate the rules cannot be re-downloaded.

"Tris" didn't violate the rules, it was taken down by the publisher voluntarily to avoid a copyright lawsuit.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
It's easy enough to do, but not all that intuitive... well sorta.

First, connect your device and make sure it shows up under the Devices listing in iTunes.

Second, go to the device and then the Apps tab.

Third, at the top you'll see a check box next to "Sync Apps." Uncheck it. It will ask if you wish to keep the apps on the device or remove them. Select "keep."

That's it. Next time you sync to iTunes, it won't transfer any apps you have on your device and you are free to store them in the cloud.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
It's easy enough to do, but not all that intuitive... well sorta.

First, connect your device and make sure it shows up under the Devices listing in iTunes.

Second, go to the device and then the Apps tab.

Third, at the top you'll see a check box next to "Sync Apps." Uncheck it. It will ask if you wish to keep the apps on the device or remove them. Select "keep."

That's it. Next time you sync to iTunes, it won't transfer any apps you have on your device and you are free to store them in the cloud.

If you sync to the Cloud, you won't be able to do this unless you select "backup to the computer" under the Summary tab.

Here is my recommendation:

1. iTunes > Preferences > Devices: check the box that prevents automatic syncing when devices connect to it.

2. iPhone: perform a Cloud backup

3. Connect iPhone to iTunes. In the summary tab, select "backup to this Computer." DO NOT SYNC at this time.

4. Click on the app tab in iTunes. Uncheck "Sync Apps" iTunes will now ask you if you want to delete or keep the apps on your iPhone. Select "Keep"

5. iTunes: Apply/Sync then eject iPhone from computer.

6. Remove Apps from iTunes on your Mac.

7. iPhone: Go into Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backups: Turn Sync to iCloud back on.

If you ever want to create additional backups to the Mac using iTunes, you have to recheck the "backup to this computer" on the summary tab. When you select it, it changes your iCloud backup feature on the iPhone to OFF. Conversely, when you turn backup to iCloud on the iPhone to ON, it changes the back up to this computer in iTunes to OFF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.