PDA

View Full Version : Valve Co-Founder Says Tim Cook Didn't Visit Valve HQ

MacRumors
Apr 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/19/valve-co-founder-says-tim-cook-didnt-visit-valve-hq/)

Apple CEO Tim Cook didn't visit Valve headquarters (http://kotaku.com/5903555/gabe-newell-says-valve+apple-meeting-didnt-happen) according to company co-founder Gabe Newell. The rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/apple-ceo-tim-cook-visits-headquarters-of-video-game-firm-valve/), originally reported by AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/13/apple_ceo_tim_cook_spotted_at_valves_gaming_headquarters.html), was squashed by Newell in a podcast interview.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/04/valve_logo1.jpg

Video game website Kotaku had a preview of the podcast (http://kotaku.com/5903555/gabe-newell-says-valve+apple-meeting-didnt-happen) from Seven Day Cooldown (http://www.sevendaycooldown.com/site/) that included this quote:
We actually, we all sent mail to each other, going, "Who's Tim Cook meeting with? Is he meeting with you? I'm not meeting with Tim Cook." So we're... it's one of those rumors that was stated so factually that we were actually confused.

No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better. But no, we didn't meet with Tim Cook. He seems like a smart guy, but I've never actually met him.The report of the meeting between Cook and Valve executives set off a torrent of speculation about partnerships between the companies, including rumors of Valve's Steam service integrating with the App Store or an Apple television.

Article Link: Valve Co-Founder Says Tim Cook Didn't Visit Valve HQ (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/19/valve-co-founder-says-tim-cook-didnt-visit-valve-hq/)

srxtr
Apr 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
That's too bad. I wouldn't mind visiting Valve HQ :D

d4rkc4sm
Apr 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
who cares

wikus
Apr 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
Apple doesnt care about giving Mac consumers any choice with gaming. If they did, we'd have OpenGL 4, a choice of current graphics cards, and more than 3 graphics cards to chose from.

A headless iMac would be ideal, but Apple also has a big problem with that too...

...I think I see a trend here... Apple doesnt believe in choice. Or maybe the word is banned at the Apple campus... or maybe its not in their vocabulary?

SPNarwhal
Apr 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
who cares

A lot of people, and a lot of people here especially. Tim Cook meeting with Valve could mean a more serious approach to gaming on the Mac. That's a huge issue that people have been wanting fixed for a long while now. This seemed like a step forward, but it apparently never happened. Good to know, I guess. No expectations.

One Bad Duck
Apr 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
No Apple Steambox yet :( wishful thinking perhaps

WardC
Apr 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
and why is this news? APPLE STOCK went down over 20 bucks today, that is news.

macbook pro i5
Apr 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
A lot of people, and a lot of people here especially. Tim Cook meeting with Valve could mean a more serious approach to gaming on the Mac. That's a huge issue that people have been wanting fixed for a long while now. This seemed like a step forward, but it apparently never happened. Good to know, I guess. No expectations.

I love you for this:D:D

2bikes
Apr 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
I actually think Tim Cook visited Valve, but he probably was disguised (as iPhone 3Gs). :p

Tesseract
ಥ_ಥ

This makes me a very sad panda.

djrod
Bummer

d4rkc4sm

when is macrumors in the business of managing expectations. stupid unnecessary story

trunten
Apr 19, 2012, 05:51 PM

news/n(y)o͞oz/
Noun:
Newly received or noteworthy information, esp. about recent or important events.
A broadcast or published report of news.

Seems like both are classed as news. Odd.

BigPrince
Apr 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
I guess anything can make the front page now.

SBlue1
Apr 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Maybe this is one of those rumors where Apple is trying to find leaks? :p

denaliOnDubs
Apr 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
It would be nice to see Apple put a little more focus on gaming. I'm not very satisfied with the selection of native mac games. But... yea I don't care if Tim Cook went to visit Valve...

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously though, I was excited to think that maybe Tim Cook liked video games besides Jenga. Or that he was at least serious about getting better game support for the Mac.

jlgolson
Apr 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
You want me to write a front page story every time Apple's stock moves 3.5%?

We try to contain that to major milestones and even then it's too much.

Radio
Apr 19, 2012, 06:02 PM
I guess anything can make the front page now.

Slow news day

Tomorrows headline?

New iPhone expected in summer or fall speculates macrumors blogger!

the8thark
Apr 19, 2012, 06:05 PM
Apple CEO Tim Cook Visits Headquarters of Video Game Firm Valve
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/apple-ceo-tim-cook-visits-headquarters-of-video-game-firm-valve/
Says Apple Insider (And MF believes it enough to post it here)

Valve Co-Founder Says Tim Cook Didn't Visit Valve HQ
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/19/valve-co-founder-says-tim-cook-didnt-visit-valve-hq/
Proved wrong by Valve Co-Founder.

Who do I believe. MF and AppleInsider or Valve?
Easy Answer. Valve.

iDemiurge
Apr 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hope there will be a nice mac version of the next SimCity. SimCity 4 on the mac is a freaking disaster.

SPNarwhal
Apr 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
when is macrumors in the business of managing expectations. stupid unnecessary story

When it created itself as a rumors website.. :confused:

Rocketman
Apr 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Denying a rumor that gives you outsized attention and buzz is a gross error.

That said, Apple has embraced and abandoned gamers several times over the years. If only they were the Warren Buffet of gaming they would dominate. Add positions every year till the critical mass forces a DOJ anti-trust claim because you are THAT good.

Rocketman

The government hates the free market.

Slix
Apr 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
Ha! Told my friends there was no way that he met with Valve recently.

Daveoc64
Apr 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
Denying a rumor that gives you outsized attention and buzz is a gross error.

I think it was carefully worded to put pressure on Apple:

"No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better."

jonnysods
Apr 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
It's a meh kind of story anyways

Tinyluph
Apr 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Well that's incredibly disappointing.

aloshka
Apr 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
At first I thought games on iPad would be stupid. But now after playing some I really wish Valve would create something for the iPad. The retina display is gorgeous and feels smoother/faster and better looking then even the xbox on 1080p. Definitely sharper than the wii.

swordfish5736
Apr 19, 2012, 06:39 PM
His doppelgänger

or this was them trying to push it under the rug so nobody is expecting valve to pop up at WWDC (not likely but you never know)

Dragado
Apr 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
Perhaps Newell wasn't the man he met with? Not outside the realm of possibility. One can hope. You'd think he'd know about it, but perhaps not.

*LTD*
Apr 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Apple doesnt care about giving Mac consumers any choice with gaming. If they did, we'd have OpenGL 4, a choice of current graphics cards, and more than 3 graphics cards to chose from.

A headless iMac would be ideal, but Apple also has a big problem with that too...

...I think I see a trend here... Apple doesnt believe in choice. Or maybe the word is banned at the Apple campus... or maybe its not in their vocabulary?

Apple believes in what Apple wants to do. SIMPLE AS THAT. Nothing more needed. This goes for anyone. People will either buy or they won't.

However . . . it is then up to consumers to decide. By the looks of it, Apple is doing pretty well with their current "gaming strategy", which is focused heavily in Mobile.

In tech circles there has been a percentage of users that have always complained about the videocard options, expandability, etc. Yet, despite that, Macs continue to a) set the standard in consumer satisfaction year after year, and b) they continue to outpace the rest of the PC industry in growth year after year.

You *already know* where Apple's main focus is in terms of computing: the iPad and the App Store model, supported by Cloud services. Macs continue to be important, but the real breakout, forward looking markets are all mobile-related, not to the exclusion of Mac notebooks, but rather shifting toward greater inclusion of the Air form factor.

Your complaints are nothing new. They are historic and rather tired. You might think they are perfectly legitimate. Perhaps they are. But Apple has proven that they could bypass them completely and be wicked successful doing it.

So where is Apple's incentive to do what you want?

**By the way, for the 1000000th time, there WILL BE NO headless Mac box you can tinker with. Any chance for that flew out the window years ago, and especially after January 2010.) You've got the Mac Pro or the Mini. Pick one. If that doesn't suit you, you can always go here: http://www.dell.com/

Michael Scrip
Apr 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
How did this rumor even get started?

Isn't that pretty east to verify?

It took almost a week for someone who was actually there to say Tim Cook didn't visit... sheesh...

Menopause
Apr 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
The fault is the of the "journalists'" of today's blogs. A sniff and they post it as breaking news. Others copy and paste. Page hits, not real, confirmed news, is all that matters now.

Peace
Apr 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
Ahh..The power of rumor sites at it's best.

"We actually, we all sent mail to each other, going, "Who's Tim Cook meeting with? Is he meeting with you? I'm not meeting with Tim Cook." So we're... it's one of those rumors that was stated so factually that we were actually confused."

So these guys at Valve seem to read the rumor sites.

Ha !

MR and AI could conspire and make stuff up and bring down the whole tech industry.

funny stuff indeed.

Oh. and btw guys. Doing that could manipulate the stock market if any of the market analyst actually listen to rumors.

*cough*

east85
Apr 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
What's with all the people on this site that seem to think this isn't noteworthy? The rumor swept across a ton of major Apple related blogs, most of the ones I visit had at least one writeup on it. This is setting the record straight, which is the only responsible course of action at this point.

Actually don't answer my first question, troll on. :apple:

Tinyluph
Apr 19, 2012, 06:56 PM
What's with all the people on this site that seem to think this isn't noteworthy? The rumor swept across a ton of major Apple related blogs, most of the ones I visit had at least one writeup on it. This is setting the record straight, which is the only responsible course of action at this point.

Actually don't answer my first question, troll on. :apple:

"I don't play games other than Draw Something so I don't care about this."

bushido
Apr 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
thats what she said

east85
Apr 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
"I don't play games other than Draw Something so I don't care about this."

Edit: Wait maybe that went over my head.

>_>

Stridder44
Apr 19, 2012, 07:09 PM

It's almost like you want to be downvoted.

Anyway, this is disappointing news. I'd love nothing more than Apple and Valve to work together on something. Maybe this will reach Tim Cook's desk and plant the idea in his head to make a visit.

gramirez2012
Apr 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
who cares

Thank you for that enlightening piece of information. :rolleyes:

dkouts
Apr 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
I dunno - its getting so you cant believe unsubstantiated rumours any more.

iSee
Apr 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Ouch. I ate it up when announced... I guess because it seemed to portend some kind of amazing sevice that could be created by a colaberation between Apple and Valve. It was too exciting NOT to believe.

Oh well, it's caller MacRumors for a reason...

(which is because it's based in America; if it were based in the UK it'd be MacRumours :p)

bathurstguy
Apr 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
"No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better."
They could be misdirecting to keep the surprise... Maybe they met the day before...?

iSee
Apr 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
who cares

Man, if you go around the internet to comment on all the things you don't care about you'd have the busiest and least meaningful life imaginable.

tesseract4d
Apr 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
I think I should get the byline as I had this rumor beat 6 days ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14717304&postcount=153

Peace
Apr 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
I think I should get the byline as I had this rumor beat 6 days ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14717304&postcount=153

http://www.macrumors.com/jobs/

MR is hiring writers. ;)

It says so right up there ^^^^^^

Quadra610
Apr 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
How did this rumor even get started?

Isn't that pretty east to verify?

Well it came from AppleInsider, which is reason enough to assume it's fiction.

Santabean2000
Apr 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
Wonder if this was a denial to protect the known feature set for the upcoming ATV/iTV..?

Didn't Steve Jobs flat out deny rumors of a phone in the lead up to the iPhone?

Wishful thinking on my behalf perhaps...

gotluck
Apr 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
who cares

Haha! obviously... Apple doesnt... their loss.

Swift
Apr 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
After all, how else could we train more Norwegian right-wing terrorists like Breivik, who locked himself up with a couple of them for a year and a half to prepare himself for his slaughter?

Okay, okay, of course not everyone will turn into some kind of terrorist after playing shoot-em-up games. But they'll be pudgy adolescents who've wasted their lives getting fast-twitch reflexes.

JustinBW
Apr 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
who cares

amen

blackwoodfx
Apr 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Ha! Told my friends there was no way that he met with Valve recently.
We wondered if Tim Cook had personally met with Valve too. Our client didn't get that kind of servicing. But, there was enough being said here that we submitted a complimentary tip of our own on the story and I can say adamantly, Apple is interested in what Steam (and other products) can offer. Very interested.

KingJosh
Apr 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
After all, how else could we train more Norwegian right-wing terrorists like Breivik, who locked himself up with a couple of them for a year and a half to prepare himself for his slaughter?

Okay, okay, of course not everyone will turn into some kind of terrorist after playing shoot-em-up games. But they'll be pudgy adolescents who've wasted their lives getting fast-twitch reflexes.

lol! i have to remember the fast twitch reflexes bit everyone someone tells me I play girly games instead of FPS. Apparently anything that is not FPS is girly to them. Surprisingly they are all either overweight or very underweight. No normal looking people in the FPS group. Funniest thing of all is they think they are some chief commander in real life just because they can frag a few people in a game hahaha. and they start replying to your comments with Neg or ngtve instead of I disagree or no. So dumb.

Genetheninja
Apr 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
Nerd blue-balls. :(

nylonsteel
Apr 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
re original article

"ha ha"

- nelson muntz - the simpsons

spacesamurai
Apr 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
Dang, one more of my dreams crushed. Would have been interesting if the talks would have happened for the future of gaming on Mac.

Schmitty11
Apr 19, 2012, 11:52 PM
And i didn't visit the Milkshake Factory(yet [its a real place, look it up]). Wheres my story?

MattInOz
Apr 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-19-at-7-43-40-pm.png?w=657

Art mimics life

ruvil
Apr 20, 2012, 12:13 AM
Maybe they met, but since they might be having some cooperations in the future and signed some NDA's and whatnot - they're denying it all.

Schmitty11
Apr 20, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hey, **** you.

----------

And **** you too.
No need to curse at people for making valid statements ;)

mrxak
Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
Okay, so we have a rumor that Tim Cook was visiting Valve, and a guy at Valve saying he asked a bunch of people and nobody said he was meeting with anybody at Valve. So it's possible he was there, but just didn't meet with anyone. Seriously, if you're Tim Cook, you can probably just wander into any building you like, and people assume you belong there and don't try to stop you. He's Tim Freaking Cook. Nobody's going to ask him what he's doing there, or why he's looking over your shoulder as you work on your super secret Valve console. That would just make you look stupid since clearly he's supposed to be there and he's got permission, right? Right? Okay, so you didn't get the memo, but as long as you keep your head down and don't tell the co-founder when he asks if you've saw Tim Cook lifting design documents from the lab, nobody will think you're incompetent.

Of course, in Steve Jobs' day, people had to come to Cupertino and meet with him. But Tim is out amongst the people, wandering through Foxconn factories, foreign telecom headquarters, and Valve whenever he feels like it. Who's going to stop him?

Well yeah, somebody probably just saw a look-alike in the area and reported it as news to a bunch of rumor sites that spread it all over instead of double-checking the facts. Or, there are NDAs involved and nobody can admit to anything even though it's true.

wikus
Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
Hey, **** you.

----------

And **** you too.

Wow, I got warnings for less than this. Actually I got warnings for asking generic questions.

Patriiick
Apr 20, 2012, 01:03 AM
"These arent the droids you're looking for"

glimp7
Apr 20, 2012, 01:10 AM
It's the truth. I'm tired of putting Win7 on my iMac for the sake of running games at a decent frame rate. Please Apple! Get a DirectX license from Microsoft, make your own API, something! OpenGL is god awful!

Gamoe
Apr 20, 2012, 01:41 AM
Hope there will be a nice mac version of the next SimCity. SimCity 4 on the mac is a freaking disaster.

Wish it were so... But even if it were, the new SimCity is already wrecked- It requires you to be online (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/28/simcity-requires-internet-connection-to-play-will-be-sold-outsi) at all times.

koobcamuk
Apr 20, 2012, 02:06 AM
Amazing headline news story.

In other news, the Pope didn't visit either - even though I heard he did from a dog on my way into work this morning.

Fandongo
Apr 20, 2012, 02:13 AM
Cook was there but nobody met with him...
So he fixed himself a heaping helping of hot-zpacho.

----------

Amazing headline news story.

In other news, the Pope didn't visit either - even though I heard he did from a dog on my way into work this morning.

Siri translated dog barks to english?
And they're conveying non-sensical gossip?!
Now that's a headline!

kemo
Apr 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
who cares

you don't, ofc!:rolleyes:

----------

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-19-at-7-43-40-pm.png?w=657)

Art mimics life

Ahahhaahahaahahha you made my morning with this!

Dragado
Apr 20, 2012, 02:48 AM
It's the truth. I'm tired of putting Win7 on my iMac for the sake of running games at a decent frame rate. Please Apple! Get a DirectX license from Microsoft, make your own API, something! OpenGL is god awful!

This could be a good solution. It would work much the same way as it does on Windows. You'd have a platform-native graphics API, alongside OpenGL for compatibility. That said, people will still likely chose OpenGL for that very reason, but some might go the other way, as they do for DirectX. Either way, something has to be done. PC GPUs are made with DirectX and Windows in mind. It's a challenge to get the same level of performance on other OSes.

Winni
Apr 20, 2012, 03:10 AM
I think it was carefully worded to put pressure on Apple:

He's been saying that for years now, and Apple never cared.

----------

If that doesn't suit you, you can always go here: http://www.dell.com/

And when you need your computer for actual work, that is the better address anyway.

DrFu79
Apr 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
Actually, this is one kind of fake news that could be of some use.

Maybe Tim Cook / Valve will think about this now.

I always felt that Gaming in general could be a great addition to Apple with its strong Consumer Focus.

Think about Gaming Publishers who take advantage of a very small selection of dedicated Graphics Cards on highly optimized Mac Systems.

Gaming on Macs COULD kill. :cool:

ZipZap
Apr 20, 2012, 04:16 AM
Remind me....why is apple better that Pc?

shaunp
Apr 20, 2012, 04:57 AM
I think Tim Cook visiting Valve would only go so far. It would put some weight behind further games development for the Mac.

What I don't understand is the reluctance of developers. The Mac as a platform is growing very quickly. Steam is available, so distribution is easy and the chances of piracy lowered - they also have the choice of using the App Store too. The Mac has a much smaller number of hardware configurations, so is easier to support - i.e. there's no need to cater for an endless number of hardware options. Unless OSX is a real bitch to code in (please correct me if it is) then I don't see the problem. Why aren't we seeing more games for the Mac?

I know it all comes down to cash, and return on investment, but surely Mac is a big enough platform now?

Wardenski
Apr 20, 2012, 05:00 AM
Even if he was there, nothing would have changed IMO.

Direct X is king. I wonder how many people (%) have bootcamp installed on their Mac.

Gaming on OSX could kill...but gaming on Windows already kills.

needfx
Apr 20, 2012, 05:09 AM
Tim? Who the hell is Tim?

Schizoid
Apr 20, 2012, 05:18 AM
shame...

on the other hand, I did see Gordon Freeman going into Apple HQ... err this might end badly!

kstswe
Apr 20, 2012, 05:25 AM
Gaming is part of my life... allways have been and will allways be. I respect the Apple product for easy of use and simplicty but it is a huge fail with the lack of graphic card support. Having a mac pro and thinking of bying a pc next , just because of the graphics.

Still playing TF2 with my "earbuds" on mac, thx Valve for atleast trying to fix the mac gaming.

Konrad9
Apr 20, 2012, 08:01 AM

I believe 5% is a standard deviation.

Bubba Satori
Apr 20, 2012, 08:03 AM
who cares

Apparently even people who go to the trouble to post 'who cares'.
Magic. :apple:

whooleytoo
Apr 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
It took almost a week for someone who was actually there to say Tim Cook didn't visit... sheesh...

Well, in my head the Valve headquarters are like a big Portal level. There could be ninja mammoths bungie jumping from the ceiling, and no one would notice for days unless they jumped through the right wall...

whooleytoo
Apr 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
He's been saying that for years now, and Apple never cared.[COLOR="#808080"]

True, but things have changed. Apple was a bit player in the market, focused on creative professionals; now they're the gorilla in the industry and have moved firmly into the consumer market. Developing for the Mac is probably a lot more attractive now than it used to be.

Plus, Cook strikes me as being much more receptive to external feedback. Jobs seemed almost hostile to external pressures - it was obvious he didn't have much interest in gaming and thus it never was a direction Apple took.

tonytiger13
Apr 20, 2012, 09:23 AM

Trust me, I'm the first to criticize Apple on the way they do things. But I do love their products that do exist. Do I wish there were others? Do I wish they offer choices? Oh yea!

Now, do I understand the choices Apple makes? I do from their viewpoint. Control the experience, control the choices, give mainstream people the mainstream things they'd need and because of this the experience is better than most companies for most people. The geek in me shudders sometimes that I accept that Apple does this. I don't do it blindly. I stand my ground on some issues. I don't buy Mac for my gaming machine. I love building my PC strictly for that (and usually, if I don't go overboard with software and crap, my PC stays stable!).

Dagless
Apr 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Some of the comments in the original thread were absolutely hilarious. I'm glad this fake rumour started, was worth it for the laughs alone.

Sackvillenb
Apr 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
The little anecdote about the email was kind of hilarious. But I'm rather sad that they didn't meet!

mdelvecchio
Apr 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm not very satisfied with the selection of native mac games. But... yea I don't care if Tim Cook went to visit Valve...

...those sentences are at odds with each other.

further, you cared enough to 1) read the headline. 2) read the story. 3) comment on it. guess you do care, huh?

malman89
Apr 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
So these guys at Valve seem to read the rumor sites.

Ha !

Probably someone's someone's someone's inferior read the site, asked questions, spread the rumor, and moved up the chain.

Gasu E.
Apr 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
Worst. Story. Ever.

MagnusVonMagnum
Apr 20, 2012, 04:06 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I agree completely with the comments regarding Macs and sadly, they STILL hold 99.9% true today. They can't even be bothered to offer an iOS emulation mode so we can play our iOS games (the most 'OSX' games anywhere) on our computers with large monitors and perhaps even a mouse. There's several games (pinball ones come to mind) that I'd LOVE to play on my actual Mac where I can use the shift keys or what not to flip, etc. and watch it on a big-screen. With Retina support, it'd be a natural conversion these days to play on the Mac and you'd get the instant benefit of all those games being "Mac" games at the same time. If it were in iTunes, you could play them on Windows machines as well. They already have the emulator for developers, so it seems ridiculous to not adapt it. But I doubt they've even considered it.

Apple never gave a DARN about gaming what-so-ever until games started selling like hotcakes for the iOS platforms, but even then, how many years did it take (a lifetime for iOS) for them to even add the gaming center? If they had games in mind for iOS products, they would have included a few extra buttons and a little joypad so our fingers wouldn't constantly have to get in the way of the gameplay with so many games. They STILL haven't even considered adding such items (short of a 3rd party add-on) DESPITE the strong gaming sales. In fact, we keep hearing rumors about them removing the one front face button it DOES have. WTF is up with the 'need' to get rid of ALL buttons? Touchscreen interfaces have their usefulness, but they aren't the end-be-all of everything. :rolleyes:

knightlie
Apr 20, 2012, 04:26 PM
Still waiting for AIs retraction, but then the original article was by DED so we'll never see one.

MacinDoc
Apr 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
Unfortunate that the most interesting rumor so far this month turned out to be false.

I'm not a gamer. I'm not sure if I'm not a gamer because I use Macs or if I use Macs because I'm not a gamer. But this little tidbit did catch my attention before it was squashed.

denaliOnDubs
Apr 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
...those sentences are at odds with each other.

further, you cared enough to 1) read the headline. 2) read the story. 3) comment on it. guess you do care, huh?

No... it's just like I said I don't care. It takes little effort on my part to 1) read the headline. 2) read the last part of the story only. 3) express MY opinion. I hope that you find happiness with your life someday... Buttttt... Have a nice day!