Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
I've had my SoundSticks since a week or two after I got my G4 desktop and since I just ordered a G5, I thought I'd look into upgrading them a little. The two popular choices look like SoundSticks II and the Altec FX6021 set.

Were there any improvements in the SoundSticks II over the originals aside from the ability to change the angle? I'm actually very happy with mine as-is, though I wouldn't mind a little more separation and bass response (Hank Williams plays fine, Wu-Tang is a little muddier than when I play it in the car - even quickie MP3 mixes).

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
the soundsticks II use a regular 3.5mm plug instead of a usb connection, but idk how that affects sound quality. i have a pair and they sound great for the music i listen to (ripped at 128aac or 192 mp3) or dvd watching, gaming etc. i'm no audiophile though obviously other people don't feel the same way about them lol. being ajustable is pretty nice but if they weren't it wouldnt bother me so i guess that's not much of a reason to upgrade :p

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
If your satisfied with your current Soundsticks, keep them and spend the money on something else. I'm not sure if you have a problem with them or not, but I have them and I wouldn't replace them unless they broek. They work perfectly fine, and the sound quality is good. I don't see why you should replace them if they aren't broken.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
I have had both set of sound sticks and although I love the design I hate how I have volume issues. If I have the volume set up a little to watch a dvd or something then restart the restart noise is so loud it bothers the whole house. if I lower it on the sound sticks then i cant hear what i want i havent been able to find that happy balance which is what i hate about them and I have a degree in audio engineering so I understand how to set things.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I don'ty know if i'd go spend $300 on a new set of speakers if you've already got perfect ones, but....

The Altec Lansings are GREAT. I just got a set to bring with me to school, and they sound so good. Great bass from a little subwoofer, really high max volume and overall good sound quality. If you're really in the market, I'd highly suggest them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.