PDA

View Full Version : Site Admins: Can you add RSS feed support to the forum???

BadboyHouse
Apr 20, 2012, 07:28 AM
Wondered if it would be possible to add RSS feed support to the forum so that we can get updates of new threads that are created etc?

Seems pretty easy to add: http://theos.in/internet/howto-add-vbulletin-rss-feed/

Thanks in advance

Kate.
Apr 20, 2012, 07:33 AM
There is RSS support. There just isn't a button for it. If I copy/paste a forum URL into Google Reader, the feed is discovered. Works on the main forum URL as well.

arn
Apr 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
Wondered if it would be possible to add RSS feed support to the forum so that we can get updates of new threads that are created etc?

Seems pretty easy to add: http://theos.in/internet/howto-add-vbulletin-rss-feed/

Thanks in advance

If you are in Safari, there is an RSS button that appears in the url bar at the far right.

arn

BadboyHouse
Apr 24, 2012, 01:22 AM
RSS support is fairly rubbish though - if you copy and paste the URL of whichever section you are in, and paste it into your RSS reader, you actually get entries from ALL sections, i.e. every new post - not just new posts from the section you copied and pasted.

For instance, I only want an RSS feed containing new posts from the iPhone, IOS, and MacBook Pro sections. It doesn't seem to allow you to do that.

Other forums, e.g. Comicbookresources.com allow you to do this and the code above, if added to mac rumours would provide full, proper RSS support.

Unless I'm missing something of course and there's already a way to do this!

wonderspark
Apr 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
I have a Geektool python script that outputs the ten most recent threads in News and Articles to my desktop, but that's all I can get it to do. It only shows the last ten original posts, and won't even shuffle as people reply in the thread.

I'd love to have the ability to display the most recent threads in any section, such as the Mac Pro section and such. If that's possible, I'd love to know about it!

BadboyHouse
Apr 24, 2012, 02:24 PM
I have a Geektool python script that outputs the ten most recent threads in News and Articles to my desktop, but that's all I can get it to do. It only shows the last ten original posts, and won't even shuffle as people reply in the thread.

I'd love to have the ability to display the most recent threads in any section, such as the Mac Pro section and such. If that's possible, I'd love to know about it!

It's deffinitely possible - the link in my first post details it.

It just needs the site admins to implement it.

BadboyHouse
Apr 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
No response from the site admins yet??

R94N
Apr 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
No response from the site admins yet??

Doesn't arn count then?

BadboyHouse
Apr 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
Didn't know arn was admin. doesn't show role on mobile forum.

We really do need individual rss feeds for each forum.

SandboxGeneral
Apr 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Didn't know arn was admin. doesn't show role on mobile forum.

We really do need individual rss feeds for each forum.

Arn is not only an admin, he's the actual owner of MacRumors.com.