Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_retina_glass-150x194.jpg

Taiwan's Central News Agency reports on comments from DisplaySearch analyst David Hsieh, who believes that Apple is planning to use new "in-cell" display technology from Japanese manufacturers in the next-generation iPhone. The move would benefit suppliers such as Sony, Sharp, and Toshiba, which currently lead the industry in the technology.
Compared with on-cell technology, touch panels that use in-cell technology can be made thinner because the touch sensors are actually placed inside the color filters rather than on top of them, he explained.

At present, Taiwan's TPK Holding Co. and Wintek Corp., which supply touch panels to Apple, use mainly on-cell technology in their products, according to the two companies.
The occasionally-reliable Digitimes is reporting similar claims based on "sources in Apple's supply chain", indicating that improvements in yield rates for the in-cell panels have made it feasible for Apple to use the technology in its products. According to the report, Sharp and Toshiba will be ramping up their production of in-cell panels this quarter.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone to Use Thinner In-Cell Technology for Multi-Touch Display?

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
That sounds lovely. Probably will make room for a bigger battery.

As it was with the "home button gone" iPad 3 — I'll believe it when I see it :)

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Everything rumored so far has pointed to either a major redesign and/or much thinner phone. Either way, I am stoked and can't wait see what happens.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Cool, I guess.

I qualify my "cool" just because whenever I use my iPhone the last thing I ever think is "Man, I wish this thing was thinner."

My 40-year-old eyes are just hoping the 4" screen rumors are true (and I'm pretty sure they are).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This plus slightly larger screen plus liquid metal casing would be a pretty sweet upgrade.

ikeywah

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
Go Japan!

I'm glad that all 3 companies innovating or leading this technology are Japanese.
Japan needs the support in recent times.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Cool, I guess.

I qualify my "cool" just because whenever I use my iPhone the last thing I ever think is "Man, I wish this thing was thinner."

My 40-year-old eyes are just hoping the 4" screen rumors are true (and I'm pretty sure they are).

While the thinness of the device is cool, what I think is really cool is the thing you “touch” is going to get closer to your finger. Seems perhaps a minor detail, but increasing the illusion of tactile response is far more interesting to me than throwing in a quad core processor. This along with reducing the response time is going to be amazing.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I just hope they dont keep making them thinner for the sake of thinness.

If the LCD is thinner, i just hope they put a larger battery.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I just hope they dont keep making them thinner for the sake of thinness.

If the LCD is thinner, i just hope they put a larger battery.

I don't care how thin they make it as long as they don't let the other important facets of the experience suffer

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I don't care how thin they make it as long as they don't let the other important facets of the experience suffer

Well, for me a handheld device suffers if it's too thin to hold comfortably, safely. Like the iPod touch for example. Thats just way too thin for my liking. not to mention Apple keeps using very slippery materials with very little grip.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

It depends on how they increase the diagonal though. If they do it the way some have speculated by increasing only the height, it won't help your eyes at all, only the feeling the screen is larger.

The article doesn't say this, but apparently in-cell can also help with reducing the size of bezel so that might go well with the old "edge-to-edge" rumor.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Cool, thinner is handy. Not a deal breaker for me, I don't need anorexic devices, but more portability is not a bad thing. But the article doesn't say how much of a difference this might actually make?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Isn't the iPhone already thin enough?

I don't see what making it even thinner would accomplish. In fact, a thinner iPhone may actually be harder to hold comfortably in your hand at this point.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Another iPhone rumor? It's not even May yet. Where oh where are the Mac news?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
1mm thinner-more or less?

That would make the phone 10% thinner, or free up 10% of current volume for more battery. Dunno how thick the battery is, but that extra millimeter alone would gain something like 20-30% more run time.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Hoping for October!

Well, it looks like it's going to be an October start. That fould fit nicely. I bought the iPhone 4 the day Verizon got it and it is eligible for an upgrade in October. Now, despite all the new gimmics like this one, I really hope there will be a slightly bigger screen and some more battery life. Not that the battery life is bad - compared to competition it's actually good, but compared to "dumb phones," well, you can't compare that. My work "dumb phone" stays charged for about 2 weeks with occasional calls and is charged withing 2h. I know that we won't get there, but more than 2 days with calls and app use would be great. So, in other words: My hope is that Apple uses the space they can save for better batteries. I don't want a thin-as-can-be phone just to find out the battery life is compromised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.