Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
So I was wondering how you go about repairing the bottom or top parts of a G5 case, it seems that they are riveted, but some how the came undone. It also appears to be some what bent as well, not very much. I was thinking maybe I could us some C-clamps and JB Weld the thing back together, would that work or do I need to do a little more?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Pictures? We'd be able to see the extent of the damage & what has actually happened to it. My G5's handle was slightly bent while it was being delivered. We're thinking of pretty much taking a hammer to it to knock it back into shape.

Damn those careless couriers..

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pictures? We'd be able to see the extent of the damage & what has actually happened to it. My G5's handle was slightly bent while it was being delivered. We're thinking of pretty much taking a hammer to it to knock it back into shape.

If you do take a hammer to it, be sure to place a cloth or rag over the area you are hammering. It will protect the finish, although there's not much you can do if you hit it hard enough to leave a dent mark.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If you do take a hammer to it, be sure to place a cloth or rag over the area you are hammering. It will protect the finish, although there's not much you can do if you hit it hard enough to leave a dent mark.

Here's my case, it nothing major, a pack of blank DVD's covers it up anyway (it's up on the desk), but I'm a perfectionist and the fact it's just there bugs me. It looks like there's a couple of tabs between the main body & the handle that holds the handle in place. I'm sure it won't take much to put right.

Attachments

• SAM_0751.JPG
    SAM_0751.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 254

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Here's my case, it nothing major, a pack of blank DVD's covers it up anyway (it's up on the desk), but I'm a perfectionist and the fact it's just there bugs me. It looks like there's a couple of tabs between the main body & the handle that holds the handle in place. I'm sure it won't take much to put right.

I actually have similar damage to mine, except my is on the bottom, right side, and it's the front and the back parts.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Hey guys, I'm no mac expert, but DON"T TAKE A HAMMER TO THAT, DONT DONT DONT DONT. Leave it alone, unless you have a way to remove the entire peice of metal off the case, and get it aganist a flush edge, don't touch it.

If you can pull the whole thing off, get it on the edge of a table or something, and wack it with a RUBBER mallet, a metal hammer will destroy that .

----------

if you do take a hammer to it, be sure to place a cloth or rag over the area you are hammering. It will protect the finish, although there's not much you can do if you hit it hard enough to leave a dent mark.

no hammers. Rubber mallets.

----------

If you decicde to pull that whole thing off. And I have a TON Of experience with sheet metal ( which isnt to far off from the same material in a G5 case ).

NO HAMMERS. RUBBER MALLETS.

I cannot stress that enough

----------

Gonna stress this one more time. No hammers, all you'll do is put a ton of dents and divets in the metal and ruin it. Use a rubber mallet

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hey guys, I'm no mac expert, but DON"T TAKE A HAMMER TO THAT, DONT DONT DONT DONT. Leave it alone, unless you have a way to remove the entire peice of metal off the case, and get it aganist a flush edge, don't touch it.

If you can pull the whole thing off, get it on the edge of a table or something, and wack it with a RUBBER mallet, a metal hammer will destroy that .

----------

no hammers. Rubber mallets.

----------

If you decicde to pull that whole thing off. And I have a TON Of experience with sheet metal ( which isnt to far off from the same material in a G5 case ).

NO HAMMERS. RUBBER MALLETS.

I cannot stress that enough

Okay, I get the picture, no hammers, right?

Thanks for the tip. How would I go about knocking it back into shape? As there's no apparent way to remove the handle. Cheers.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Okay, I get the picture, no hammers, right?

Thanks for the tip. How would I go about knocking it back into shape? As there's no apparent way to remove the handle. Cheers.

If theres no way to remove it ( I wouldnt know, my only Mac, my Dual 1.8 g5. Such a cool machine, to bad its slow :( I still love it anyway is flawless ). I would honestly just leave it alone.

IF YOU MUST touch it. A small rubber mallet might do the trick, a very small one thats rather soft, and it would take a very long time to make it look decent, and I really wouldnt want to hammer away at a very delicate machine like pretty much any computer.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
A couple of countersunk holes and some small sheet metal screws in that area might pull the handle back into the right position. It has been a while since I've worked on one of these, so I don't know how much room you'd have to work in that area of the case.

Otherwise, I don't think hammering on it is going to help. Those handles are pretty notorious for being damaged in shipping.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I didn't know it was that common. I was really disapointed with the shipping service I used when I got my first G5 home looking like this.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I didn't know it was that common. I was really disapointed with the shipping service I used when I got my first G5 home looking like this.

I always found that it had a lot to do with packaging. I don't think I've ever seen damaged handles on a new unit shipped in the apple packaging.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I always found that it had a lot to do with packaging. I don't think I've ever seen damaged handles on a new unit shipped in the apple packaging.

That's also true. I've seen people ship these with pieces of wood under the handles to avoid damage - that's pretty smart. But on the other hand, isn't a really bent handle a sign of more than a common bumb?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
That's also true. I've seen people ship these with pieces of wood under the handles to avoid damage - that's pretty smart. But on the other hand, isn't a really bent handle a sign of more than a common bumb?

Probably, but you also have to remember that a PMG5 is a pretty damn heavy computer. It doesn't take much for a little fall to deform the cardboard enough to bend the handle. Apple used a very sturdy double walled cardboard on their new and refurbished packaging for these towers. I don't think a lot of people go so far as to match that.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Probably, but you also have to remember that a PMG5 is a pretty damn heavy computer. It doesn't take much for a little fall to deform the cardboard enough to bend the handle. Apple used a very sturdy double walled cardboard on their new and refurbished packaging for these towers. I don't think a lot of people go so far as to match that.

Absolutely! I had to learn about it's weight the hard way, I had to carry it home. :) Well, you're right about that as well, maybe it doesn't need much more than a short fall for it to get badly damaged... Let's just hope my other one I have coming is better packaged!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.